Quantcast

[Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이

Getting quite ugly out on the Interwebs with lots of negative comments about the kiss scene.  The show has its cheerleaders, but the temperature is currently running 80%-20% not in favor of the scene itself.  I had to stop reading the SBS comment section because it had dissolved into name-calling in there... but the malice was only towards the kiss scene!  Nothing was mentioned about the scene where the gosiwon was housing a prostitution ring, and hardly anything about Dal-sik's introductory scene.  I was a bit squirmy about the latter until I remembered the first couple chapters of the manhwa were MUCH MUCH more racy than what we just saw in Episode 1.  I'm definitely going to go back and read it again soon.

I loved Episode 1 so much that I've watched it 3 times now!  And for all those basement-dwelling keyboard warriors who say that Wook is debasing himself and insulting his fans by accepting this role and should go back to action dramas or re-pair up with their personal favourite female lead, all I say to them is... you can bite me twice.  I'm happy he wants to grow as an actor and can see why he took on this role, since it is quite out of the norm of a K-actor's wheelhouse.

This person put it perfectly in her comment:  "Webtoons are webtoons, and dramas are dramas. Don't be ignorant.  If you don't like it, don't watch it."  WORD.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

uaaaaaa soompi forum is finally working  thank you for the call @Jillia ep 11 and 12 are so enjoyable, DH jealousy is so funny, I can't  huhu 4 ep left, my excitement and anxiety rolled into

Final thoughts on Backstreet Rookie:   After watching the final 2 episodes yesterday and sleeping a night over it, I have to say I'm actually pleased with the outcome of the drama. I even li

SBS/Lifetime Channel Drama ★ Backstreet Rookie ★ Network: SBS / Lifetime Channel Other title: Convenience Store Saet Byul Genre: drama, romcom Episodes: 16 Airdat

Finally, after getting squared away with iQIYI and being able to send the verification code (after about the 12th try, and with a different email) I got to watch the first episode on my iPad with minimal ads.  I hate watching anything on small screens, but I'll do it for Ji Chang Wook.  Then I found the link given by @Table122000above so I can watch it on my computer screen!  Thanks babe.  

I am probably the 1 out of 10 people on the planet of 8 billion people who LOVED Melting Me Softly, so I wondered what the reception would be for this drama.  Much more positive here on Soompi, I gotta say, but I am dismayed by @cherkell's reporting above about other negative comments.  

Of course I loved this first episode of Backstreet Rookie!  The man is a genius at inhabiting a character and putting out there for all to see.  The nuances of Dae Hyun that Wook brings to the screen are amazing, precise, and ultra real.  If I were a director of South Korean dramas I would want Ji Chang Wook to spell it out for the audience.  I am all in on this drama, too!!  How many times can you fall in love with an artist who cares so much about his craft?  About a million times, give or take, even in a pandemic year.  Bravo Wook.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's midnight here but I cannot sleep, waiting for SBS rating of episode1. Really hope that this drama will be a success. 

I'm quite surprised about the criticism toward kiss scene. It's just a light kiss, and completely understandable and align well with Saet Byul character. 

Ep1 is a good episode, especially from the job interview part to the end, it's really hilarious. This is the first time I know KYJ but I like her at first sight. She is so beautiful and her acting is really colorful and adorable. 

And of course my longgggg time crush JCW, I really like his new character so far. I'm happy to see JCW shows his new side of acting. It's too soon to judge but I feel that he can describe the sloppiness of manager Choi in a different way from his other sloppy roles.  I laugh a lot anytime he appears on the screen. It's so new to see "the K2" feels scared in front of a girl :)) 

The only thing that I worried is the script. I feel like the convenient store is a limited topic. There are not much space to develop the story and characters. I hope the writer can find some interesting twist to keep the audience engaged to the drama. 

• Like 5

[Ratings] “Backstreet Rookie" 19 June 2020, Episode 1 (Part 1/Part 2):

Nielsen Korea: 4.8%/6.3% National; 5.4%/6.6% Seoul*

TNMS:  n/a /5.2% National (Seoul ratings data no longer collected)

*Per Nielsen Korea:  The first broadcast started with the highest viewership rate per minute of 7.3% (Nielsen Korea, based on the metropolitan area) and ranked #1 in real-time search terms, unique storyline and unique characters, and the actors who portrayed them cheerfully.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, cherkell said:

Nielsen Korea: 4.8%/6.3% National; 5.4%/6.6% Seoul

TNMS:  TBA (will update when available)

Per Naver:  The first broadcast started with the highest viewership rate per minute of 7.3% (Nielsen Korea, based on the metropolitan area) and ranked #1 in real-time search terms, unique storyline and unique characters, and the actors who portrayed them cheerfully.

I was hoping that the ratings would be higher than that. Let's pray that it will keep increasing. Tomorrow will be the new drama of KSH so I hope BR ratings won't be affected by much.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, cherkell said:

Per Naver:  The first broadcast started with the highest viewership rate per minute of 7.3% (Nielsen Korea, based on the metropolitan area) and ranked #1 in real-time search terms, unique storyline and unique characters, and the actors who portrayed them cheerfully.

This is pretty solid for a romance-comedy I think. Backstreet Rookie is really living up to the word “unpredictable.” I think the first part had its moments but really had some parts that could make people cringe. I’d say the story improved in the second half of the episode.

Can’t really say anything about the drama really since it’s just the first episode. But yeah- first episodes are pretty crucial but it shouldnt define the drama in the entirety.

The lead actors did really a good job in portraying their roles. And I am pretty into their character’s quirks and wits. Loving the chemistry of the two, and this really lifted the drama in so many ways. They’re so in synch in their characters that you can’t help but love them.

So far, yes, the drama has some parts that may not be everyone’s “cup of tea” but there’s a lot more to love than not to like. I’d say the cast and crew did well. We fans had a lot to go through as well but we have to remember to remain positive. I’m sure everything will fall into place. Added bonus is that our leads seem to really have fun with each other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 

I've been on here since it only had like two pages but I never had to guts to comment but I wanted to say hi and that I loved the first episode so much that I watched twice already and can't wait for the second episode. I especially wanted to thank jilla for her updates on this forum and even downloaded iqiyi. I've been on insta the whole day to see what people had to say and alot of people have misinformation on saetbyul in the kissing scene saying she was underage. Is 19 years consider underage in korea?  I think it was okay or was it because she was in a school uniform, I don't see the problem. They are requesting on naver that the age should go up as well.

• Like 4

Ok finally got to see the episode and I actually really really liked it! It was funny and the pacing was good!! Only thing I didn't like was dal shik's entry scene at all wasn't even funny either that could have definitely been cut out and him meeting Dae-Hyun in the store should have been his first scene! Hope we get less of those erotica type scenes with him tbh.

Loving Dae-Hyun and Saet-Byul alot already! They're so fun together our Tom and Jerry couple :wub:

And Dae-Hyuns mum is hilarious! Thankfully it's not too slapstick so I thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed throughout the episode!! 

But I'm seeing some negative comments about the age and her being a minor when she kissed him but isn't she 18? Is that not an adult in korean age? Sorry if these questions have been answered I havent read the comments in the forum yet.

I'd rate the first ep 8/10 definitely looking forward to the 2nd ep. Also did I hear the fiery priest tune when saetbyul was fighting with her sister? Love sb fight scenes hope we see more

• Like 3

Just finished watching the premiere.

This is cute and light. Perfect for the summertime. 

:hypehype:

Quick question, so does SB like DH from that first meeting when they ran into each other? Cause why did she show up at his store all dolled up like she had been planning things for a while?! And she gave up a free beef dinner for him!

:dead:

• Like 5

Hello all, It's been a long while since I've been in the forum (had to sign up new cuz i forgot my old sign in...lol). Ive been a fan of KYJ for a while now and been following news on when she was gonna be on dramas/movies and was very excited to find out she was in BR and just couldn't help but sign in and show support for her (and the whole cast and crew). Watched the first episode and as always enjoyed every second of it. They all did a wonderful job. 

55 minutes ago, cherkell said:

Like most of you, I too hope the ratings increase, but I'm here to enjoy the show. 

• Like 6

I cannot believe the ‘backlash’ that the show is receiving. It was supposed to make us happy and it did! Some people out there are just going to nitpick every tiny details - which is sad.

I am happy for the ratings because I know most of the dramas nowadays get lower ratings than BR did.

The thing that I am happy though is how everyone of us in this thread has positive opinions for the first episode and I’m praying real hard that the second episode will do better (and will answer questions that were unclear in the first episode).

I’ve also read the webtoon up to the latest translated part and the drama did well to tame the explicit scenes (except for DS)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think the ratings are pretty encouraging for a first episode of dramas in this genre. And part 2 went up more significantly so I read that as most are still okay with the kiss scene? I mean, it's a webtoon for goodness sake. Surely most Koreans are not prudes?

And correct me if I'm wrong, BR is not in the same timeslot as It's Okay right? I remember someone said there is an half hour overlap but does that impact? I remember that when TWOYM ended, fans were hopeful for TKEM's rating to improve but it didn't. I think BR's competitors are variety shows?

I feel that if the story is good, people will watch. Like I said before, I saw a lot of potential when I read the webtoon so I believe the drama can do better. I have a good feel about the director's judgement call. This particular drama doesn't seem to hang on the writer's ability since it is adapted. I think he knows what he's doing going by episode 1. I mean he's a veteran and surely will know what kind of plot will sell right? 

Btw, I'm watching on iQiYi. Is it just me that I find the subtitles hard to read cos of the typeface? I watched it twice. Once with Eng sub and once with Chinese sub. Both are hard to read.

Oh oh...wanted to call out the fighting scene in the intro amongst the girls. When the team led by the other girl in red started striding toward SB (before their crane formation), it reminded me of a scene from the Korean movie, Sunny. That movie was hilarious. Anyone watched that movie before?

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

I think the ratings are pretty encouraging for a first episode of dramas in this genre. And part 2 went up more significantly so I read that as most are still okay with the kiss scene? I mean, it's a webtoon for goodness sake. Surely most Koreans are not prudes?

And correct me if I'm wrong, BR is not in the same timeslot as It's Okay right? I remember someone said there is an half hour overlap but does that impact? I remember that when TWOYM ended, fans were hopeful for TKEM's rating to improve but it didn't. I think BR's competitors are variety shows?

I feel that if the story is good, people will watch. Like I said before, I saw a lot of potential when I read the webtoon so I believe the drama can do better. I have a good feel about the director's judgement call. This particular drama doesn't seem to hang on the writer's ability since it is adapted. I think he knows what he's doing going by episode 1. I mean he's a veteran and surely will know what kind of plot will sell right? 

Btw, I'm watching on iQiYi. Is it just me that I find the subtitles hard to read cos of the typeface? I watched it twice. Once with Eng sub and once with Chinese sub. Both are hard to read.

It's okay airs at 21:00 and rookie airs at 22:00 so it should be fine

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

Oh oh...wanted to call out the fighting scene in the intro amongst the girls. When the team led by the other girl in red started striding toward SB (before their crane formation), it reminded me of a scene from the Korean movie, Sunny. That movie was hilarious. Anyone watched that movie before?

Lead Bully Girl was actually the same girl from "Sunny" - Park Jin Joo, reprising her role in the same clothing she wore in the movie!  That was a nice touch for a cameo - smart move, PD-nim!

• Like 6

I don't usually like to read negative comments, but sometimes it's unavoidable, reading some of them I find myself scratching my head with such nonsense. I figured well, if some people (who have not seen the show) see those comments it might peak their interest or be curious as to what's going on and will make them watch it, resulting in more audience :D (and hopefully like the show to want to continue).

On a side note, I've been watching the first episode over and over. Can't wait for the second one. 

• Like 6

It’s so annoying seeing so many bad comments from people who didn’t give the drama a chance like at least watch it first before saying something. I understand the first episode might have some parts that are cringeworthy but overall it was a good show that provided many laughter and I’m so tired of seeing the same comments about their age differences in both the drama and real life I didn’t even notice it at all when watching the first episode but at least they’re getting attention so hopefully more people watch it and support them.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, Krystal. said:

It’s so annoying seeing so many bad comments from people who didn’t give the drama a chance like at least watch it first before saying something. I understand the first episode might have some parts that are cringeworthy

It may be annoying but they also have a right to their opinions and they belong to this community, too--when we don't agree, it's wise to ignore for the sake of keeping the peace. ;)  

Yes, I found the first episode very cringe-worthy and I had a tough time getting through it (although I actually really liked the kiss scene and I have no issues with anyone's age).  I'm on the fence about this drama but I like JCW so I'm curious to see the next few episodes before I decide whether or not to pack it in.

• Like 5

Hello everyone,

I'm a silent reader here and this is the 1st time I post something on Soompi forum. ^^. For me, the first episode was more interesting than what I expected: hilarious, light and a little warm. I don't find the kiss scene was romantic or cute, but I think it was natural and suitable for the plot. I'm fine with it but I also understand why some people feel uncomfortable.

I'm still a bit worried about the script and hope it will get better in the next episodes. Since I'm a long-time fan of KYJ and JCW is also my fav actor, I will root for them till the end no matter what. Tbh, I don't really care about the ratings, but because the cast and staff have worked so hard for this drama, I hope the ratings will be not too low.

• Like 9

I'm just trying to take in the half-glass full approach here.  The drama, novel and actors are still on the search ranking.  Hence, one of the goal of the PD for it to talked about is there.  I'm just taking it as character development, not all starts with the maturity and niceness.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이