Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jillia

[Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이

Episode 14.... I like the overall episode but it didn't completely win me over. It's possibly because Ep 10,11,12,13 were amazing. (and my favorite eps so far are 11 and 13) so the episode 14 was a let down in the build up and pay off. 

BR suffers from typical too many characters and too many plots sidelining main characters and their story. :sad1:

Marketing is responsible for this too. They should have been more clearer that the series would be more of an ensemble cast. Also to be fair, at this point it's YJ and her mom that keep being off putting to me than anyone else. ^_^ but that's their role in the story at this point. I'm all right with other characters and grown to love them. Even DS/GB :P

However I loved whatever the crumbs we got of our Tom and Jerry couple. :omg:

The amount of  time I kept going ' they are so adorable' helped me to get over the annoyance of the episode. THEY ARE SO ADORABLE!!!!!

I love SB sanitizing DH from YJ virus . DH just standing there like 'yes please' and laughing. :ilike:

Biggest villain of BR is the previews for next episodes.  :isannoyed: 

Few good things that I had about ep 14  got somewhat sour after seeing the preview. 

The amount of time previews have made me less excited about the next episode is far too many for my liking. I'd be lying if I say I'm excited for next week and that's preview's fault. It's the last week, a preview should not make me feel less excited about the season finale.

:kitty:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, sal2 said:

First thing first. That confession I actually found lovely and sweet. :wub: I guess many is wondering what DH is thinking, but after watching him for so many episodes, I think he is easy to understand. He really a straightforward guy that really saying what is on his mind and also true to his action. I think he is showing who he is loving true action, like giving SB that desk space to read for the exam. Showing concern for SB when she is struggling. The hug. giving her flower for doing a good job. We can see every fiber in his body are turning toward her. Like he did say himself he was falling slowly for her while witness what kind of character she is. She is really lightning up his life. 

I like that confession too. I wanted to know DH’s depth of feelings for SB more than anything, considering our gal has been in love with him for so long. 

I didn’t understand why they introduced Qiang Mi now but I think the writer might be trying to portray that what you think is the love of your life may be different in reality? The dream girl/guy may not be the one for you?

Same with GB and Dalshik.They never expected to fall in love and they are. It’s both funny and weird. 

I remember when I was much younger, I would observe couples and often wonder what did they see in each other. :P

I think many expect some heart fluttering romance between DH and SB but that’s what they don’t want to show. We don’t know for sure until the end. But I am ok with their interactions for now. 

I feel BR is quite an interesting drama overall with some depth. Just that their marketing isn’t very good as they did not position the drama right, causing confusion and frustration amongst viewers.

• Like 6

Finally caught up reading 10 pages of this thread.

I really like DH face at the beginning when he is upset that his sister interrupted them.  JCW did that scene so well.  Since his break up with YJ, DH became  more lively and cuter.  I like the way he call SaetByul-ah compared to Yeonju-ssi.  At some point, it was really irritating hearing him saying Yeonju-ssi so often.

When I saw that big sashimi plate,  I'm thinking that JCW and  KYJ would  be more excited about the food than the scene.  We all know how they both love food.  

I hope we get at least 10 minus screentime on the rooftop scene and that it will be very romantic.  I wonder if SB will finally tell him that she is the little girl that he saved since DH is talking about destiny.  I want them to reveal their feelings towards each other before they actually kiss (minimum 3 minutes).  It's really the best place for their first kiss (nice set up) and we are sure that DH parents and sister do not know about that special place.   Eunbyul, you better not show up.  We are safe with Jiwook as he is in Hollywood.  

As for next week episode, I'm glad to see DH confronting his mum.  I'm worried that SB will feel bad since she has received so much love from DH mom.  I hope she doesn't push DH away because of that.  Let's hope that DH will reveal to his mum that they are dating.

Do you think that DH will let SB kiss him in that preview?  I think it will be another tease as DH is moving backwards and maybe someone from HQ will interrupt them.  I hope there will be at least 2 kisses in ep 15 and another 2 kisses in ep 16.  I believe all those outside scene were filmed in the last week so they should know that viewers have been demanding for Kisses.

When is Neulbo making its appearance again for DH to find out that SB keep it for those 3yrs? 

• Like 6

Hi everyone! :D

Very happy to see a rise in the ratings. How unexpected but definitely not disappointed! Just surpised in how Korean viewers watch this drama.

:wow1:

I actually enjoyed episode 14. But I also skip a lot of scenes, mainly Dalksik and Geum Bi. I'm just not here for it. Like @Fandomized Q said they're introducing too many sidestories right before the end of the drama which is not a problem exclusively for Backstreet Rookie. Many dramas in the past years did that. Some even had 20 episodes and still managed to notice even 1 episode before the ending "Oh crap! We still got 5 storylines to wrap up."

In this drama however I think the sidestory of Geum Bi and Dalsik was enough. I didn't need the whole Jang Mi storyline. Just my thoughts on that matter. OR the writer should've skipped the whole Geum Bi/Dalsik story for the Jang Mi story. So choose just one, writer-nim!

I don't think I need to talk much about Yeon Joo. At this point the writer just wants to make her even more unlikable. I don't think it was necessary. I don't know why we had to sit through 8 episodes until they finally broke up and now Yeon Joo realized Dae Hyun is the guy she wants because he quit his job for her. If anything it makes her more superficial because honey, sorry to break it to you but that's not love. And I dislike how much time we're wasting on her. Knetz still joke about who the actual female lead is. I mean clearly it's Kim Yoo Jung but knetz don't like it either that Yeon Joo who isn't even considered 2nd female lead gets so much screentime.

I actually liked all the scenes we got with Saet Byul and Dae Hyun. They're suffering in a world where nobody wants them to have some alonetime. :lol: It's ridiculous! So I can buy that Dae Hyun prepared the special place on the rooftop because he knows it's the place where nobody will interrupt them. I liked his speech about first love and liked how formal it almost was for him to ask Saet Byul if she will accept him. The cliffhanger is a bit weird though since nobody thinks she will say no, right? And usually the cliffhanger would be a kiss. I think it's nice for the drama to go against expectations but you know sometimes they can go WITH the expectations of the viewer. :D

Can you believe we only got 2 episodes left? I can't believe it. Time flies so fast and I can only hope the drama will wrap up nicely with a 30 minutes kiss nicely edited. :P

• Like 8

@Jillia

At this point, I don't think we will even get 1 min kiss as they are so stingy on their kiss scene.   Like I say,  DH and SB have been wanting to kiss twice now  and yet not given the chance.  They created all those tension moments for nothing and just to disappoint viewers.

I agree with you about Dalsik and Geumbi, I have enough of them.  Too much of DH mom yelling or beating her husband and didn't like that fight they had.  I only like DH mom when she is with SB.  Glad that DH is yelling at his mom to make her realize what she is doing.  

I think BR is the only drama that's making everyone becoming a PD and a writer  or try to read their minds.  

Time to sign out now and hopefully can sleep.  

• Like 7

@Jillia I totally agree with Knetz about Yoon Jeo.

I m sorry to say this but Backstreet Rookie will reach a double digit already if writernim and PDnim does not love Yeon Joo so much.  They really  try hard  to make YJ character stays relevant till the last episode to the extent making DH mom soo fickle minded and out of character.   

• Like 7

@Ming Lim

I'm hopeful until the end when it comes to a kiss. :D I'm just like that. But there are predictions by knetz there might be only 1 kiss at the end of the drama. There is a scene with fireworks in which Saet Byul and Dae Byul kiss and some knetz would like to see that type of kiss. I personally don't need the fireworks and I definitely want more kisses. But if I get just one at least it should be good. :)

@Pinkdaisie46

It's really hard to tell what the ratings would be like. But I think we can be happy with the ratings we got. Plus the drama is constantly trending on streaming platforms and keeps being no. 1 on wavve which is really great. :D But yeah who knows what could've been.

• Like 6

Before episode 14, I did use my Tarot deck to predict the ratings of ep 14, and I got a “Three if Wands” card which indicates a good outcome. It turns out to be true. It’s not that I totally believe in Tarot, but it’s fun and accurate sometimes. B)
Ep 13 is more fun than ep 14, but I guess the viewers have more free time to watch it live on TV on Saturday night instead of Friday night.

Keep in mind that this is just the ratings for SBS, and there are still many other Korean viewers who watched it live on Lifetime and Sky channels that are not included in this ratings. The 2049 ratings indicate viewers from 20-49 years old. This drama is not a cup of tea for older generation, ha ha...:sweat_smile:
O1J1sBr.jpg

It’s been trending top 1 on iQIYI in my country (USA) consecutively for many days already.

3HGc9hS.jpg

• Like 5

So it looks in the webtoon it take:

Spoiler

1 year for Dae Hyun to tell his mom he and Saet Byul are dating and I think at first mom isn't happy but then comes around. I think in the drama Dae Hyun might tell his mom sooner. I think he will ask to you want me to go back together with her [Yeon Joo] and he might end up telling her he is dating Saet Byul. What do you guys think? Especially those who were reading the webtoon? Or is the webtoon not so far in the translation. :)

431436205838dcc0e889cbcc289235a13fbd63ea

558372338e2736e2811c96bda4cc275e73fc8bb1

Source: DCGall

• Like 5

The drama is 90% different from the webtoon. It’s hard to predict. :phew:

The preview of ep 15 can be misleading anyway, so we don’t really know what Dae-Hyun’s mom truly thinks about her son dating Saet-Byul. Maybe it would be awkward at first because she’s like an adopted daughter to her, and she hasn’t been ready to see Saet-Byul as a daughter in-law yet. ^_^

I think it would be fun to see Manager Bae working as Saet-Byul’s manager for a while. Yeon Joo really didn’t know how smart and mischievous Saet-Byul is. I think Manager Bae will be the one who eventually gets kicked out by Saet-Byul, but not the other way around as Yeon Joo expected. :lol:

• Like 7

@Tuvi Girl

Yes I think in the drama the relationship between Saet Byul and Dae Hyun's mom is so close. She is seeing Saet Byul as her daughter and I think she is also protective. So it will be a change to have Saet Byul and Dae Hyun date. :lol:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ming Lim said:

he didn't like it when his mum interrupted them as well as taking SB away.

I feel that I have been cheated by Rebecca nim in regards to BR.  I was so excited that JCW & KYJ would have some romantic scene & of course KISS scene but it's such a disappointment. I know they say unpredictable romance but didn't think it will take 14 episodes for it to become predictable.  It's not what we expected and I hope that they can do another drama together.  If it's not for them, I would drop this drama.

I will not be surprised if ratings drops today compared to last Saturday 

Been away doing groceries, let me catch up on reading this thread.

I am starting to think that we won't get a kiss at all. :brokenheart:

I would have loved it if Dae Hyun and Yeon Joo broke up in episode 4, and from episode 7 we would get the failure of the kiss between Saet Byul and Ji Chang Wook for 8 episode, to finally get the kiss in episode 16. Because I do find them getting interrupted really funny. :fullofhearts:

8 hours ago, Ming Lim said:

When we think an episode is so good, we don't see a rise in ratings and when we think the ratings will drop, it goes up.  The ratings are like the drama....so UNPREDICTABLE.  I don't understand how Knetz watches dramas.  Do they only watch even numbers episodes? Lol.  There is a significant rise in the amount of people watching Saturday episode versus Friday.  

I am getting the feeling that many are doing/watching something else on Fridays and then during the Saturday the watch in online and then Saturday’s episode live. 

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

So it looks in the webtoon it take:

Reveal hidden contents

1 year for Dae Hyun to tell his mom he and Saet Byul are dating and I think at first mom isn't happy but then comes around. I think in the drama Dae Hyun might tell his mom sooner. I think he will ask to you want me to go back together with her [Yeon Joo] and he might end up telling her he is dating Saet Byul. What do you guys think? Especially those who were reading the webtoon? Or is the webtoon not so far in the translation. :)

and @Tuvi Girl If that is what the scene in the preview as alluding to then it kind of makes sense. It’s just that I don’t like the sadness on Saet Byul’s face. I am a bit worried that Dae Hyun mama said some pretty harsh words. :expressionless:

• Like 5

@Yuui @Tuvi Girl

I think maybe the preview wants us to think that a) Yeon Joo and DH mom are close but in the end I think Yeon Joo just trying to manipulate her. And b) makes us want to believe that Saet Byul might back out of their relationship/dating because of what she heard, the conflict between Dae Hyun and his mom. But I hope it's gonna be different. :D

There is a brief shot in the preview when Saet Byul and Dae Hyun come home (it looks like Saet Byul is wearing the rooftop outfit but Dae Hyun is wearing casual clothes, maybe he went back to work at the store) and they're caught by Dae Hyun's mom. So I guess they will probably find a way to get out of the situation so they don't have to admit yet they're dating.

7034010123922224a04cbe6424302802ccced51c

• Like 5

@Jillia @Tuvi Girl Shouldn't we have learnt by now that you can't make any predictions about the previews? :Megalol: And here we are trying to figure out what will happen in episode 15.

But I hope you are right @Jillia it would be nice if that is what she is doing, I don't know if that would make Dae Hyun that angry though. 

• Like 5

@Yuui @Tuvi Girl

What makes me hopeful is the optimistic side of my personality. :D I think in the end it's gonna be fine.

:cutekitty:

And until then we're just happy that:

Yeon Joo witnessed Dae Hyun giving Saet Byul flowers.

That Saet Byul looked at Yeon Joo like she is some kind of insect in the hospital and slapped her hand away.

And that Dae Hyun downright rejected Yeon Joo.

:wow1:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

@Jillia Based on their outfits, it looks like Dae-Hyun went home first and changed his clothes while Saet-Byul went back to the store to work night shift (that’s why she still wears that yellow dress). I wonder how they will react when they are caught. Would he push her away violently again?:lol:

There’s no reason for them to hide their dating relationship from other people, but they are still living under the same house, so it’s just not the right time for Dae-Hyun to introduce the “new girlfriend” to the family yet. I guess that’s why they have to make up their own secret code to communicate. ^_^

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

6 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Yeon Joo witnessed Dae Hyun giving Saet Byul flowers.

That Saet Byul looked at Yeon Joo like she is some kind of insect in the hospital and slapped her hand away.

And that Dae Hyun downright rejected Yeon Joo.

I loved Dae Hyun's reaction when waking up, he was all excited and then he sees Yeon Joo he gets stifled. Like why is she her? (on a side note; how did she find out so quickly?) :surprisedwut:

2 minutes ago, Tuvi Girl said:

@Jillia Based on their outfits, it looks like Dae-Hyun went home first and changed his clothes while Saet-Byul went back to the store to work night shift (that’s why she still wears that yellow dress). I wonder what they will react when they are caught. Would he push her away violently again?:lol:

There’s no reason for them to hide their dating relationship from other people, but they are still living under the same house, so it’s just not the right time for Dae-Hyun to introduce the “new girlfriend” to the family yet. I guess that’s why they have to make up their own secret code to communicate. ^_^

I find the secret code kinda cute. :fullofhearts: My only gripe is that we only get 2 episodes of it. On the other hand their sign language is like a secret code already.  :shaq:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

@Tuvi Girl

I mean it's all new for Dae Hyun and he probably didn't think so far on how and when to tell his mom about dating Saet Byul. I think he also knows how much his mom cares about Saet Byul, so he will probably approach is carefully. But mom's closeness to Yeon Joo will be the catalyst for Dae Hyun to tell his mom "Do you want me to go back with her? I can't because I'm with Saet Byul." I think Dae Hyun mom looks shocked. She has never seen her son acting like that, so she must realize how important Saet Byul is to him. :D

And yes I think as well... they're trying to keep it a secret for now. Again, it's new for them. Even though Saet Byul fell for him at first... it's still new to her as well. So it's only fair for them to enjoy their happiness together first. Even with Yeon Joo in the picture.

7 minutes ago, Yuui said:

I loved Dae Hyun's reaction when waking up, he was all excited and then he sees Yeon Joo he gets stifled. Like why is she her? (on a side note; how did she find out so quickly?)

I had to laugh so much because just look at Saet Byul's look when she noticed Yeon Joo is still there... Why are you still here? :lol:

1596345342.gif

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Tuvi Girl

I mean it's all new for Dae Hyun and he probably didn't think so far on how and when to tell his mom about dating Saet Byul. I think he also knows how much his mom cares about Saet Byul, so he will probably approach is carefully. But mom's closeness to Yeon Joo will be the catalyst for Dae Hyun to tell his mom "Do you want me to go back with her? I can't because I'm with Saet Byul." I think Dae Hyun mom looks shocked. She has never seen her son acting like that, so she must realize how important Saet Byul is to him. :D

And yes I think as well... they're trying to keep it a secret for now. Again, it's new for them. Even though Saet Byul fell for him at first... it's still new to her as well. So it's only fair for them to enjoy their happiness together first. Even with Yeon Joo in the picture.

I had to laugh so much because just look at Saet Byul's look when she noticed Yeon Joo is still there... Why are you still here? :lol:

Yea, and Yeon Joo's reaction is just an added bonus. I don't know if she is afraid of Saet Byul or if she is just feeling uncomfortable. But she clearly understands that she is out of place and out of depth when dealing with Saet Byul.:issohappy:

• Like 6

Just now, Yuui said:

Yea, and Yeon Joo's reaction is just an added bonus. I don't know if she is afraid of Saet Byul or is she is just feeling uncomfortable. But she clearly understands that she is out of place and depth when dealing with Saet Byul.

I think it's a combination of both. Saet Byul never showed fear from Yeon Joo. She was always confident and was giving her a piece of her mind. While others, including Dae Hyun, were always acting like a submissive. The only other person, up until now, who wasn't afraid of Yeon Joo is Dae Hyun's mom. And of course Seung Joon. :P

:kicks:

• Like 5