Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jillia

[Drama 2020] Convenience Store Saet Byul / Backstreet Rookie, 편의점 샛별이

11 minutes ago, Ale _ida said:

WHAATT THEE..... 

Discomfort and disgust they said... they are the one who’s disgusting... 

Lack of gender sensitivity?? Is that refers to the extreme feminist there? Wow... 

It’s gonna be another story if BR wasn’t adapted from an adult webtoon. 

The gender sensitivity is about the shot of Saet Byul from behind, when she walks in to the convince store in episode 1 :facepalm:

Unfortunately yes, some of it is because it's an adaptation of an adult webtoon, some of it is because of netizens over reacting to everything, some of it is because people like to hate and some of it is on SBS for trying to make this in to a family drama. I would have preferred if they just went fot it with a +19 rating. 

• Like 6

Maybe BR should’ve aired on a cable channel and written as a rated 19 drama instead. Trying to make an adult webtoon pg, being aired on sbs, calling it a family drama etc really back fired. If you’re going to adapt a problematic controversial adult webtoon, then just the embrace the adult content/story and run wild lol. Maybe then our leads would’ve had some skinship by now bc this drama has been so safe and prude on that regard. hell even dh and yj only ever held hands and hugged once and they dated for two years lol. This whole situation is just dumb tbh bc other than the first episode there’s nothing sexual about the drama whatsoever lol. The production company dropped the ball on this imo that I personally don’t feel bad for them and the sanctions they’re receiving lol. I do however feel bad for our actors bc now their names are tied to this mess.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

1 hour ago, coolstarlet said:

Maybe BR should’ve aired on a cable channel and written as a rated 19 drama instead. Trying to make an adult webtoon pg, being aired on sbs, calling it a family drama etc really back fired. If you’re going to adapt a problematic controversial adult webtoon, then just the embrace the adult content/story and run wild lol. Maybe then our leads would’ve had some skinship by now bc this drama has been so safe and prude on that regard. hell even dh and yj only ever held hands and hugged once and they dated for two years lol. This whole situation is just dumb tbh bc other than the first episode there’s nothing sexual about the drama whatsoever lol. The production company dropped the ball on this imo that I personally don’t feel bad for them and the sanctions they’re receiving lol. I do however feel bad for our actors bc now their names are tied to this mess.

As I always say, "if wishes were horses, I'd have a stable."  We can ruminate over the "what might have beens" for years to follow, but the main points here are:

1.  PD-nim Lee Myung Woo personally selected Wook and Yoo-jung to be cast for this show, in addition to several of the supporting cast and cameo appearances.  He saw something in their personalities that would bring justice to any script.  And I doubt the actors will be blackballed from future projects because they made the decision to join hands with PD-nim Lee after reviewing the BSR scripts.  They knew what they were getting into; if the drama contents were so problematic, their respective agencies would have shut down negotiations STAT.

2.  Granted, I do agree with most commenters that the source material was dubious at best.  I read the webtoon ages ago, and wondered how much was going to be included in the scripts.  I believe the writer-nim did a good job of containing the narrative to enough in order to establish the characters and their situations.  But geez, I've seen more exposed chests and butts on any of the music programs broadcast via the Big 3 terrestrial networks.  Hypocrites much?

3.  I still believe that "outside influencers" played a part in the almost 7,000 complaints being laid against SBS.  I have proof of several anti-websites providing specific Korean scripts to be cut-and-pasted into the SBS Comment Board by non-Koreans.  So the deck was stacked against the production from Day One by anti-fans, various prior shipping groups with their own agendas (you know who you are), and anyone with an axe to grind to add to the pile-on.

4.  SoKor really does need to be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.  The K-netz still consider Wook as the "Nation's Favorite Son" and Yoo-jung as the "Nation's Favourite Daughter" and claim they would have never signed onto the project if they wanted to keep those reputations intact.  But this is 2020, people.  An actor cannot grow in his craft if he/she always takes the high road in choosing safe projects.  Heck, in Wook's drama before military service -- which was aired earlier in the evening, contained a make-out session *and* a bed scene -- nary a peep was heard out on the Interwebs against SBS, the production or the actors involved.  More hypocrisy!

Long and short, we live in interesting times.  I highly doubt these issues will leave a stain on either Wook's or Yoo-jung's reputations.  I will forever be impressed with their taking on such a project - I LOVE those two little munchkins!  Let's go into the last 4 episodes with smiles on our faces.  Aja aja aja FIGHTING!

/rant over

• Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

@Ming Lim

I also don't think the kissing scenes will be the problem. I think the complaints were more about showing Saet Byul from behind walking down in those tight jeans (ridiculous when you think about how female idols look like) and Saet Byul as student kissing Dae Hyun.

But still it feels so unnecessary at this points since none of them are really watching anymore and if they do just so they can find more to complain about.

:whytho:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

What a joke! Imagine a 19+ film where the OTP only hugs so far =)) (ok we have a kiss if we count the one in 1st episode). 

If I am someone who just read the newspaper, I would imagine that BR is a really awful film with hardcore bed scene and a lot of **** sentences. This whole injustice situation is a comedy itself. 

But I'm glad that we can see a nice atmosphere in BTS and I can see a very big smile of JCW when finishing filming. The rating is also ok and steady. 

I'm only sad that due to too much criticism, there are people who cancel the drama before giving it a try. BR deserves better, it is a beautiful drama. 

• Like 9
  • Shocked 1

svQZKko.gif

Dae Hyun I didn't know you were this petty... :facepalm:

Do you even understand why you are acting this way?

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

@cherkell thanks for the reassuring words :blush:

TBH I'd rather people complain of the slow pacing of the story or the loveline than these controversies that are directed to our actors. I agree that their reputation will not be tarnished tho. Producers/Directors/filmmakers will look for talent and versatility in their casting, which they have succeeded in proving thru BR. Perhaps they should avoid KBS, MBS and SBS for the meantime. It seems you're safe from complaints if you air in cable channels.

I'm glad they have wrapped up filming last night before this news/decision came out.

• Like 8

@JiMerlin @Yuui

So we have been watching a 19+ drama all along, huh? Weird... I didn't see any of the 19+ parts. I must've closed my eyes during those seconds of 19+ content.

tenor.gif

• LOL 11

17 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@JiMerlin @Yuui

So we have been watching a 19+ drama all along, huh? Weird... I didn't see any of the 19+ parts. I must've closed my eyes during those seconds of 19+ content.

Apparently seeing someone underage asking for a grown up to buy cigaretts, filming a fully clothed female from the behind and a scene of arresting a prostitution ring is deserving of a 19+ rating. 

ace cactus gif | Ace, Jason gif, Korean bands But this is apparently okay, and does not have a 19+ rating. Image result for gabriel dropout gif | Anime, Memes engraçados, Fotos 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 4
  • LOL 5

20 minutes ago, Yuui said:

Apparently seeing someone underage asking for a grown up to buy cigaretts, filming a fully clothed female from the behind and a scene of arresting a prostitution ring is deserving of a 19+ rating. 

But this is apparently okay, and does not have a 19+ rating. 

Double standards much, executed by knetz:

BlankGrizzledAlaskanmalamute-small.gif

I mean I think all the things people were complaining about as well because students don't like to be told that they shouldn't smoke and they should go to school instead. Or that someone with a fake ID got caught in the end... All that isn't mentioned and they make things up to make this drama look like the worst one in the k-industry. Well guess what? It's making money... even from the bad promotion. :P

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Drama Backstreet Rookie is rated 19+, ha ha...:lol: It is a joke of the century! 

I agree that episode 1 should be rated 15+ for Dal-Sik’s drawing nude images, but the rest are so rated PG. -_-
They can edit the drama for rebroadcast on SBS or change the parental guidance’s rating or whatever, but SBS is not the only channel to air this show. There are WAVVE online streaming, SKY, Lifetime channels in S. Korea that broadcast this drama in addition to iQIYI, U-Next, Julai TV, One Asia TV (in Malaysia and Singapore). As long as Backstreet Rookie is popular and has good ratings, I’m happy for them! 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Other dramas: full on kissing, bed scene... rated 15... that's okay....

Backstreet Rookie: we got a 2 second kiss, a kiss in a dream scene, a real hug and they didn't even hold hands or anything yet...

RATED 19+

:loolz:

• LOL 7

I'm on the west of US, so BR starts at 6am for me (during working hours :(, so I have to wait till I get off). 

Just sighing and rolling my eyes with this nonsense of controversies. There's always going to be haters and bad apples no matter what anybody does, they seem to have too much time on their hands and got nothing better to do. I'm just glad they've finished the show. Ad we can enjoy the last 4 episodes. And WHEN they do WIN awards at the end (hopefully they do, I'm expecting they do) the haters can take a hike :tounge_wink:!

Fighting BR!!!

New still cuts...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPyhORJmPY/?igshid=1hpzuvgd9kv8r

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, B8lle said:

I'm on the west of US, so BR starts at 6am for me (during working hours , so I have to wait till I get off). 

Just sighing and rolling my eyes with this nonsense of controversies. There's always going to be haters and bad apples no matter what anybody does, they seem to have too much time on their hands and got nothing better to do. I'm just glad they've finished the show. Ad we can enjoy the last 4 episodes. And WHEN they do WIN awards at the end (hopefully they do, I'm expecting they do) the haters can take a hike !

Fighting BR!!!

New still cuts...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPyhORJmPY/?igshid=1hpzuvgd9kv8r

I just saw it too and what a tease from the preview.  Looks like they will be interrupted so nothing will happen.

Translated article of new stills of Daebyul Couple.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDP2ipGp-sM/?igshid=17cjava3adnls

Edited by Ming Lim
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

At this point I’m expecting a peck on the lips during the last scene of the final episode. Can’t believe 12 episodes later (and maybe 13) and still no kiss scene. Even older dramas weren’t this dry with the kisses..The 1st ep and the dream kiss does not count. This isn’t right! If that scene gets interrupted and turns comedic istg.. can dh+sb have one romantic moment without something ruining it. 
 :crymeme:

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, coolstarlet said:

At this point I’m expecting a peck on the lips during the last scene of the final episode. Can’t believe 12 episodes later (and maybe 13) and still no kiss scene. Even older dramas weren’t this dry with the kisses..The 1st ep and the dream kiss does not count. This isn’t right! 

I just updated a link with English translations of the article 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ming Lim said:

I just saw it too and what a tease from the preview.  Looks like they will be interrupted so nothing will happen there.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/144/0000683256

I thought the same, but I was hoping they just turned for the camera....lol...really hope it wasn't just a staring contest. 

• Like 5

What is this story with BR being a 19+ program? Is it real? :joy:  

• LOL 8

3 minutes ago, B8lle said:

I thought the same, but I was hoping they just turned for the camera....lol...really hope it wasn't just a staring contest. 

But wow, their visuals are incredible.  It just makes you stare at them for a long time. It's like picture perfect.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1