[Drama 2020] My Unfamiliar Family, (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다

0ly40

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/08/review-our-own-stories-in-my-unfamiliar-family/

[Review] Our Own Stories in ‘My Unfamiliar Family’

By Krishkim | Edited by Yang Young Jun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun | Images: tvN

D9884910-316F-44E3-ABF6-3F9AB3563050.jpg

How much time do we spend with our family? If we think about it, it’s not that much. These days, when everyone is so busy with their own things that we barely sit around at the table to talk and eat together, the family became those we are closer to more than anyone else, but somewhat unfamiliar. tvN’s My Unfamiliar Family tells the story that can easily be seen around us, or perhaps, the story of our own families.

Standing in front of her family who gathered after a long time, Jin Sook, now in her 60s, declares that she will start a new chapter of her life after “graduating” her marriage. Except for the second daughter Eun Hee, who is always on her mother’s side, the first daughter Eun Soo and the youngest Ji Woo express their shock. Her husband, Sang Shik, storms out the house, yelling her to do how-ever she pleases. Jin Sook, who spent most of her life in the kitchen taking care of her family, bursts out her frustration, yelling, “What do you even know about me?” Like her words, how much did the family know about the life of the mother? No, did they show even the slightest bit of interest?

BBEC3AFF-044D-4082-B41D-AC03124704B8.jpg

But Jin Sook’s grand plan is halted by an unexpected incident. Sang Shik gets involved in an accident when he lost his footing on the mountain and suffers a memory loss. After the accident, the awfully cold and oppressive 60-year-old Sang Shik is nowhere to be seen, and only sweet and fresh 20-years-old Sang Shik is present. So, Jin Sook decides to postpone her “graduation” till he regains his memory. However, Jin Sook’s decision and Sang Shik’s memory loss serve as an opportunity to bring out the unexpected event (?) within the family. All the secrets that have been hidden under the name of a family or that have been ignored begin to pour out uncontrollably.

The secrets that have been kept quiet are quite shocking. When it comes to topics such as the secret behind the birth, living in two houses (cheating), and the sexual identity of a spouse you have lived with for more than a decade, the drama is as provocative as daily soap operas. With the unexpected twist in every episode, some even started to call this drama, “The World of the Family.” But instead of using them as simple makjang codes, My Unfamiliar Family adds a bit of mystery elements and implement them as devices for the characters to reflect on the family they never knew. In the process, how the narration unfolds “my story” as “family’s story” is quite engaging.

903300FE-C07B-46C5-8C99-B442BBCD51B2.jpg

How the drama deals with conflicts is also effective. Rather than viewing conflicts between the family that have festered over time as “right or wrong,” it draws the sympathy by describing them in each character’s perspective. Conflicts can spark from many different reasons, including different memories or stances regarding the same event (I love how the drama called this a selfish memory). And we all have experienced a relationship that soured over time while avoiding to face the problems that could have been solved with simple conversations, thinking that time will heal the pains.

Although the cases in My Unfamiliar Family may have been exaggerated for dramatic fun, how misunderstandings and conflicts are built up is exceptionally realistic. That’s why viewers, including myself, sympathize with and praise it, saying, “It delicately unravels the stories of various families,” or “These can happen in any family.”

Spoiler

6A93DF8D-2C54-4AC3-AD4B-90446F70A879.jpg

Starting from 9th and 10th episodes, the family members of My Unfamiliar Family, especially Jin Sook, who has long suspected her husband’s affair, finally began to resolve the misunderstanding by learning the truth. However, festering wounds take a long time and effort to heal, and it is never as easy to recover fully as it used to be. Now, I wonder what choices these families, who have now faced the truth, will make, how they will heal the wounds they have caused on each other, and, above all, whether they will be reborn as a “harmonious family with love” like their family motto.

Verdict: About the “family” who are so close that we often forget who precious they are (7/10)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch: Kim Ji Suk And Han Ye Ri Marvel With Their Teamwork On Set Of “My Unfamiliar Family”

by L. Kim
a748590c65e9482baea1a065d0516176.jpeg?s=

tvN’s “My Unfamiliar Family” has released a behind-the-scenes look of the fantastic chemistry between Han Ye Ri and Kim Ji Suk.

In the drama, the two actors portray childhood friends who have been facing various turning points in their relationship that cause them to wonder if they can become a couple.

The making-of video begins with Han Ye Ri and Kim Ji Suk filming together. The director helps them get into their positions with Han Ye Ri against the wall and Kim Ji Suk standing in front of her with his palm against the wall next to her head. Han Ye Ri covers her face in embarrassment, and the director laughs at her funny reaction.

During break, Kim Ji Suk says, “I had my hands in my pockets and I coolly took them out. But do you know what happened?” He shows an example of how his pockets turned inside out and comments while laughing, “It was so funny!”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1411573wpp/watch-kim-ji-suk-and-han-ye-ri-marvel-with-their-teamwork-on-set-of-my-unfamiliar-family

I finally finished episode 12. It was a good episode again.

I want to say one thing. I loved the parents scenes and their date. It was so nice to see them smile. But why, of WHY, it had to finish lake that? When I heard in the preview Sang sik said to Jin Sook `don`t tell the children` I became worried. This writer really want me to make me cry.

@larus Thanks for the article on the BTS in that episode. Loving how the actors chemistry EH and CH is translating on the screen. I love that walkway. It was so beautiful when they did one more lap on the walk (as their 20 year old college selves--a fave. Plus they had a couple like both wearing white sweatshirts. So cute)

I agree that the episode was amazing. (Making up for other dramas I am watching LOL).

@Helena Thanks for the review.

This drama is a gem and I am sad to see it end . TT

Poor TH being upset he got dumped and EJ telling his mom to accept TH for WHO is. I loved how EJ told her I do accept him. Before when she couldn't talk to her son TH, the mom said I only talk to family. But TH mom is stuck with only EJ to find out WHY TH is sad. (Was TH planning to to to NZ after the divorce? Did he like that guy that much? We knew that barista's ex liked him and took the barista's money and ran. But was NZ their point of living together?

Glad EJ stood up for TH with the barista. Interesting they went to a PRICY bar to meet up. Not some cafe, I guess occupational hazard avoid a cafe? (Korea has so many beautiful cafes though.)

The siblings noting that EJ and TH are more comfortable is so true. Even TH is feeling at ease now that they know their real status of their relationship with no secrets. 

Mom and dad are cute on dates. I love he uses lame excuses to get mom and then has the flowers on the car seat. My epic moment of them was playing in the arcade. Being able to be joyful just being innocent and playing for a bit without a care in the world. Love that Mom had a mini collection of stuffed animals from a CLAW machine. JW cracked me up taking pics of the collection of stuffed animals and flowers. Good that EJ and EH told him to let mom be. (EJ is def mom's fan now after the bio dad reveal.) As we know she is harsh with her words she is a good person, loyal and and is very clear/blunt.

As EH said, you cannot comfort (I knew that) but your words remind me I need to get back up and solve the situation. You don't allow me to wallow in my sadness too long by saying pretty word of consolation. I knew you don't do that. But the scene showing EJ facing EH in sleep (awww she may be all fuss and bluster ) she loves her dongseng EH and that sleeping pose just warmed my heart. AWWW! EH constant trying to back hug EJ in the bed---LOL. I don't think my own sis did that with me or me with her.

Props for SY stepping up and coming clean to CH and EH. She did not have to but I am glad she did. EH confessing her insecurity of SY with her youth, beauty and feeling inferior to her. But also knowing she is a close dongseng, she felt she repeated word by word what she said to CH. There was no need to ask CH.  Poor CH.  I can see EH rational thinking but STILL she did NOT let CH explain (as he rightly should be upset here and then 5 years ago).

Glad EH knew she wanted CH friendship (when GJ words about what she wants) and perservered to try to talk to him. The trite apple/apology LOL was adorbs and I am sure CH liked it. But when EH was totally confirming her drawing the line with CH by telling him about GJ and never crossing that line of men and women (made me sad for CH). But we know he knows from EJ nuna that EH likes HIM that much to not want to trust her heart to someone she feels is above/out of her league. Awww our lovely EH who has so much to offer. GJ knows you are a gem and is trying. But doesn't deserve you. But CH knows you are a gem and I cannot wait for the moment he tells her he wants to cross that line.

I again am looking forward to EH being CH's life line/support for her while we find out about his driving phobia/trauma. Is it a bad car accident? (People died?) 

See more of JW and SY and def see the loveline increasing when she complimented JW being a decent guy for guys around her age. I liked what JW said to SY that she emphasized the bad comments about her situation and ex bf who raped her. JW said what about the nice comments--you are pretty etc. (Good job JW here). 

Gosh torture to wait for the next episode. Love this family.

Totally random comment, I just watched clips of a dating reality show I follow today (while at lunch). I realized one special panelist guest from was Season 1. When I saw the actress for Hara in this drama, in the back of my head I was thinking where have I seen her before? It was bothering me the whole time. I just could not place her.

Bingo today, she was on the reality show "Heart Signal" season 1 in Korea cast member. No wonder! 

She confirmed on the show that she wrapped her scenes for My Unfamiliar Family and is prepping for another drama. I thought she was cool in Season 1 and she was a shoe designer to boot.  She is realizing her acting dreams too! 

17 hours ago, Nodame said:

Awww our lovely EH who has so much to offer. GJ knows you are a gem and is trying. But doesn't deserve you. But CH knows you are a gem and I cannot wait for the moment he tells her he wants to cross that line.

That's such a lovely way to say it. :)

Just want to point out once again how flippin' immature and awful Geon-Joo is. He is OUT.

Love the parents finding their way towards each other again. It's heartbreaking that they've had 30-some years of misery together over really trivial misunderstandings but it makes sense: they were very young, didn't know each other that well, had to work fingers to the bone to survive, and they are just both very repressed people who grew up in a very repressed society. So, it is what it is. The lost years are tragic, but they have the rest of their lives to make up for it... however long that's going to be.

I will be really sad if Dad ends up with a terminal disease. My only hope hangs on the fact that this show has faked us out many times before.

If Mom and Dad had problems due to lack of communication, the younger generation sure communicate A LOT. Eun-Hee and Chan-Hyeok have basically been talking themselves out of a potential relationship for years. You two, just jump into bed. Stop overanalyzing everything.

I love the conversations they have, though! Well they can talk after they get together.

Eun-Joo is... well, I genuinely don't understand some of the things she does - I think she's way too harsh with her father and Eun-Hee - but I appreciate that she is a thoughtful person in her own way. She's finally becoming a fleshed-out person to me, I'm finally seeing the nuances to her character.

My Unfamiliar Family: Episode 11

by quirkycase

MUF11-00122.jpg

Our adorable friend pair spend some time reminiscing about their past and contemplating their future this hour. After years of repressing and ignoring any feelings of the romantic variety, they finally have another chance to get everything out in the open. Now they just have to decide what they want and whether they’re willing to seize the opportunity to go after it.

EPISODE 11

MUF11-00086.jpgMUF11-00087.jpg

We pick up where we left off with Chan-hyuk striding determinedly up to a smiling Eun-hee. He gets close … and she starts whacking him upside the head with her purse. Pfft. He’s naturally taken off guard by her intense mood swing.

Eun-hee declares she’s angry that they spent years not talking. Couldn’t he have called her first? Chan-hyuk reminds her it was her decision to cut off contact. Eun-hee wonders what could’ve been had they remained friends. In her mind, she asks if they might’ve dated. Chan-hyuk steps up to her and slowly leans in to kiss her.

Except she’s imaging it, and poor Chan-hyuk in real life is once again confused by her sudden outburst. She rambles that their cutting ties was an inevitability since they would’ve fought eventually. Chan-hyuk half jokes that all her relationships these days end with cutting ties.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/my-unfamiliar-family-episode-11/

@icemaid OMG thanks for the video. This song is sooooo CH and EH. I loved it and now taking the time to see the lyrics is so perfect. I just cannot wait for them to get together NOW! LOL. 

@chickfactor Awwww thanks for the kind compliment.  DEF triple agree GJ ship is long gone.

Too bad that EH knows CH too well to do a drunk sleep together like she did with GJ. She is just going to to control herself with that darn LINE she draws to the person of interest. So interesting she did not do that with GJ (she barely knew him so that prob helped only later learning she did "chat" with him thinking he was a gal not him. Still unsettles me he didn't come clean earlier with EH.)

EJ in the beginning was like OMG. But the more you see the layers of her, she has a heart. She just is not someone to soften the blow to make you have all the warm fuzzies. Not her style. But seeing her vulnerable and seeing her with a BETTER closer relationship with EH has been great. I liked she and TH were better and her standing up to mom to just ACCEPT TH for the real person he is right now. Just love her for that and glad that she is his person/Friend with that native Indian saying about friends shared earlier in the drama. She really is that person to him---family, friend, partner all in one. Glad TH was not LONELY thanks to her.

@tas82 Mom looked gorgeous and I HOPE they don't drag out dad having a terminal disease trope myself.

But who knows, we have had red herrings galore before. Nothing new there .  Let's hope it is not the case but since we have seen him get dizzy and not feeling well TOO often it could be reality for him to retire. So that is why EVEN he conceded to himself no more long night drives . (I agree no more DRIVES again.)

On 7/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, Nodame said:

@tas82 Mom looked gorgeous and I HOPE they don't drag out dad having a terminal disease trope myself.

But who knows, we have had red herrings galore before. Nothing new there .  Let's hope it is not the case but since we have seen him get dizzy and not feeling well TOO often it could be reality for him to retire. So that is why EVEN he conceded to himself no more long night drives . (I agree no more DRIVES again.)

@Nodame @tas82, I hope Sang Shik does not have a terminal illness. I hope this dizziness simply means it’s time for him to retire and it might be an after symptom of his fall in the hills. I like that him and his wife are finally trying to understand one another and I’m really hoping they get a second chance with each other. That money that he saved might also be useful to them.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:41 AM, Nodame said:

@chickfactor Awwww thanks for the kind compliment.  DEF triple agree GJ ship is long gone.

Too bad that EH knows CH too well to do a drunk sleep together like she did with GJ. She is just going to to control herself with that darn LINE she draws to the person of interest. So interesting she did not do that with GJ (she barely knew him so that prob helped only later learning she did "chat" with him thinking he was a gal not him. Still unsettles me he didn't come clean earlier with EH.)

Yeah, it's *very* unsettling the more I think about it.

He communicated with Eun-Hee pretending to be a woman and so she told him all about her personal life. She probably told him that she hadn't dated anyone in 5 years, had a bad breakup after 9 years of dating, and probably other stuff about her personal emotions and feelings ... this knowledge gave him a phenomenal advantage when he approached her. And he didn't tell her the truth until they slept together and he knew that she was attracted to him and wouldn't immediately kick him to the curb.

He deceived her and deliberately created a situation in which she was vulnerable, and used that to seduce her. It's a huge violation.

I don't think Chan-Hyeok knows about them e-mailing each other for a year, during which GJ faked being a young woman.

--

Ep. 13 Preview translation:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/myfamily/9/Board/List

Ji-Woo asks Eun-Hee why Chan-Hyeok does not have a driver's license, and it turns out Eun-Hee actually does not know much about Chan-Hyeok.

Geon-Joo asks Chan-Hyeok for a "fresh and new" favor and Chan-Hyeok happily accepts.

Chan-Hyeok speaks to Eun-Hee about his family with difficulty... Eun-Joo begins a new job and meets an old classmate/colleague...

@chickfactor Oh if we are basing in EH telling CH of GJ, then no she omitted that email part. The hint of emails when GJ said she is a good writer on emails . When he awkwardly asked CH to push her to be a writer it was weird.

Yup def not right that GJ did that, dang . Not the way to go about it. 

“My Unfamiliar Family” Actors Warm Hearts With Their Bright Energy On Drama Set

Jul 11, 2020
by L. Kim
d983b7892d4b401ebecdf09ecf431ef5.jpeg?s=

tvN has released new behind-the-scene stills of the actors in “My Unfamiliar Family”!

The drama tells the story of the relationships and misunderstandings between strangers who are like family—and family who are like strangers.

In the new stills, the actors work passionately to portray the deep story line and complex emotions of their characters. The perfect harmony of their realistic performances induce empathy for each character.

my-unfamiliar-family-2.jpg

The actors’ extraordinary affection and sincerity for the drama can be felt even on the drama set. The first thing that stands out in the behind-the-scenes photos is the “true” family moments where the actors constantly share opinions or exchange laughter with each other. Han Ye Ri and Kim Ji Suk monitor their acting together and make an effort to not miss any minor details. Veteran actors Jung Jin Young and Won Mi Kyung professionally express the ups and downs of marriage in the drama but cheerfully laugh together off camera.

more  https://www.soompi.com/article/1412137wpp/my-unfamiliar-family-actors-warm-hearts-with-their-bright-energy-on-drama-set

My Unfamiliar Family: Episode 12

by quirkycase

MUF12-01141.jpg

Is it possible for two people to start anew when there’s a boatload of baggage between you? Our recently enlightened father plans to find out. Nothing can erase the hurt his actions have caused, but his brief return to his youth gave him some much needed clarity and a desire to right some wrongs. Our friend duo also has their share of baggage and stands at a relationship crossroads. The question of the hour: when is a relationship beyond saving?

EPISODE 12

MUF12-01440.jpg

Chan-hyuk tells Eun-hee he’s done, and she responds coolly he needn’t have come in person. She gets the message. They’re interrupted by Geon-joo, and after some polite chitchat, both men leave. Alone, Eun-hee contemplates both men’s accusations and opinions of her.

At Eun-joo’s, Sang-shik apologizes for not fulfilling the promise he made before she was born to be the best father and give her the best life. Eun-joo can’t bring herself to say anything, so Tae-hyung offers that Sang-shik raised her well.

Sang-shik makes them uncomfortable when he innocently asks how much Tae-hyung treasures Eun-joo. He thinks the awkwardness is due to Tae-hyung finding those sorts of questions uncomfortable. Sang-shik smiles proudly as he reminisces about how pretty Eun-joo was as a baby and how brightly she shined in college.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/my-unfamiliar-family-episode-12/

@larus Aww reading the recap was fun to prepare me for tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out and I agree GJ could take a leaf from CH. CH making a stand to EH, I cannot wait til she is his person this week .

SY and JW scenes and that ‘fake’ gf is not real. Should be interesting and SY is maturing lately and owning up to her mistakes at least.

EJ and EH love their scenes last episode and the pic of EJ facing EJ was adorbs. EJ is all bluster but EH knows and just continues to bulldoze her way to Unni despite all her efforts to fend her off and have her not be close to her.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200713005500315

New dramas focus on breakup of conventional families

SEOUL, July 13 (Yonhap) -- Family TV series usually revolve around how the family as a whole reacts to relationship challenges like divorce and adoption, or present conventionally fundamental values, such as love and happiness.

In recent days, however, the eased influence of the traditional family structure and newly emerging family issues of "graduation from marriage" and marriages of sexual minorities have penetrated into the small screen in South Korea and resonated with audiences.

The KBS weekend show "Once Again" features the Song family, whose four children all get divorced. Each couple's separation and post-divorce relationships bring about different reactions from old and young generations.

Na-hee, played by Lee Min-jung, one of the three daughters of the Song family, gets divorced from her husband but still lives with him because she cannot tell her conservative parents the truth.

Experts say the recent TV series has reflected the breakup of the stereotypical family notion, which was largely based on the Confucianism ideology, in recent decades.

"KBS' 'Once Again' talks about the family as a haven that embraces the divorced," Yun Seok-jin, a professor at Chungnam National University in Daejeon, said. "Now, TV shows start to narrate the change in family structure as single-person households have become the most common family type in South Korea."

He noted it is different from KBS' previous comedy "Five Enough" (2016), which candidly features the divorce but shows the restoration of family by remarriage in the end. Its heroine, a divorced mother with three children, finally ties the knot with a widower.

The new KBS drama's well-rounded depiction of the generational gap helped the series reach a viewership of 33.3 percent on its latest episode that aired Sunday, marking the highest rating among KBS' TV dramas in 2020.

513989BE-BFF1-44B4-8890-97BC42AA152D.jpg
A teaser image of KBS "Once Again" provided by the broadcaster (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Graduation from marriage, referring to living apart in one's sunset years, is one of the main ideas of the tvN drama "My Unfamiliar Family," which is about family members who have become used to a polite but emotionally constrained relationship.

The mother, who seems to have led a happy married life for decades with her husband and three grown-up children, decides to leave the marriage and start a new life.

The story is also multiplied by a gay husband of one of the daughters, who pretends to be straight and create a normal family.

The shattering of the family and the recovery of relationships have caught the eyes of Korean viewers. Its first episode on June 1 started with 3.1 percent in viewership, but the figure has been on a steady rise to hit 4.7 percent for its 10th episode on June 30.

The romantic comedy "Oh My Baby," which ended its run on July 2, touches on issues that are widely known but seldom talked about in the conservative country -- a single woman who wants to become a mother without marriage.

The drama revolves around a 39-year-old workaholic who plans to search for a sperm donor in a bid to have a baby of her own. It also weaves in a subplot of personal lives of those in their 30s and 40s, seeking a balance between work and family and suffering from infertility.

KBS' rom-com "Men Are Men" and JTBC's romance drama "Was It Love?" are also about a single mother and a woman who refuses to marry, respectively.

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

It was long road but I have finally caught up and watched the episodes that I still hadn't watched. 

I'm loving the parents relationship.  So long they both had misunderstood the other and only lived for they children. It lovely to see that they are going on dates and being happy. It never too late for second chance.

I really love this drama because it actually makes you think about your own family. Do you talk to them or be polite and talk about random thinks but not about real problems.

Archived