[Drama 2020] My Unfamiliar Family, (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다

0ly40

On 6/8/2020 at 5:41 PM, partyon said:

A little psychology here:

I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading your characterization for both sisters. I totally agree with you. I like to watch their dinamic and if it was painful to see them being apart. But I am glad that we see them interact more. They are different but in the same time have a lot in common. I like how the brother and even Chan-Hyeok are like a buffer between them.

The family don`t comunicate well. That`s the problem. They are together for a long time but not really together, as a family. They are disfunctional but I can see that they care for each other. Just like Eun Hee said that she will be there for her sister if she will have a hard time, just like Eun Joo talked with Chan-Hyeok to help her after break up.

The parents relationship. They once loved each other but they  grew apart. I want Jin-Sook to be happy with her new realtionship but seeing Sang-Sik so open and in love with his wife like he was when he was 22 I have mixed feelings. I kind of want them to rekindle their old relationship. Jin-Sook knew about the other woman/ family. Maybe that`s why she stop being a woman for his husband and decided to be only a mother. I am curious about Sang Shik and the other son. He had a previous relationship (and had a son), it was a extramarital affair and kept in touch with the son or he had two families all these years? I saw that Sang Shik has an inferiority complex that his wife is an educated woman and he is not. Maybe he was always insecure about that. I am really curious how the "love triangle" for the elder couples will evolve. Jin Sook seems more compatible with Mr Yoon, a former teacher but Sang Shik has his advantages as well. He has to work hard to save the relationship, to win her back. We`ll see.

Not only the parents stop talking but the children don`t really know their parents or have a good comunication with them either. Eun Hee don`t like the dad (because he has Eun Joo as her favorite child and she always on her mother`s side. Eun Joo favored the dad and has a distant relationship with the mother. Eun joo grew up thinking that her mother chose her to die together. I don`t think she knows that Sang Shik is not her biological father. She asked herself all these time why her mother chose only her to die. The parents loved all their children. I hope they will find out that. I like that Eun Hee stand time with her dad and Eun joo talked with her mother. 

Eun-Hee and her romance with Gun-Joo.... As I already said it, I like them and they could have made a good couple but this relationship did not start really well.  I don`t think it is the same case as Eun hee and her old boyfriend but it is still not good. Eun Hee and Jong Min grew apart as a couple but he did not end things with Eun Hee when he was seeing another woman. Gun Joo and his ex fiancee grew apart and probably had a fight/ separation but I don`t see how he is making a clear break up. No matter how bad their relationship became, they had 9 years being together. Gun Joo has feelings for Eun joo but he put away the photo of his ex after he slept with Eun Hee. He knew that his ex entered the house and he does nothing about it? The woman knows that they are apart but she did not give up on their relationship. Eun hee feels unconfortable and she knows it is not a good sign but she doesn`t end the relationship. She must crave for love. I think she will break up eventually but it will be more painful for her if she will delay the moment. And he is her boss. Talking about complications. :D They have to make things easier (with a total trust and good comunication) if they want to give the relationship a chance. 

I love how simple and open the relationship between Eun Hee and Chan-Hyeok is. They are trully friends. If Chan Hyeok has hidden romantic feelings for Eun hee or he still has a crush on Eun joo we`ll see. I love him with both. :D He was so sweet getting flustered in front of Eun Joo in the past or when he found out that he has to meet with her and wasn`t prepared. :D

I am dissapointed in Tae-Hyeong. He left his laptop at home (and it was open) just in case his wife will find out about him? He should have got the courage to tell her the truth. I hope they will divorce. Even if they will remain friends after that, this marriage makes both of them misarable. . She is young and beautiful and I hope she will find happiness again.

I want to see more episodes. I am interested in every character.

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Did anyone else tear up watching Eun Hee singing karaoke with her dad ? It was such a heartwarming scene.

It was one of my favorite scenes. And I think he is a good singer. And I think Eun Hee just discovered that too.

2 hours ago, partyon said:

What is this makjang I'm watching? :joy: Just sayin'

It is a good quality of makjang like someone said it at this thread. All dramas have a dose of makjang but just like The World of the Married, it is the right one for me. It has real life situations and dilemmas and not cheap contrived plot just to shock the audience, with over the top villains for audience to hate.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, larus said:

And he is her boss. Talking about complications.

A relationship like this is against employment rules in most public companies in the states but it seems very common in KDramas.  Is this actually accepted in Korea or is it just a dramatic convention?

11 minutes ago, D27Gjk68 said:

A relationship like this is against employment rules in most public companies in the states but it seems very common in KDramas.  Is this actually accepted in Korea or is it just a dramatic convention?

I don`t know. Even if it is accepted, they will realise that it will be awkward for them (especially for Eun hee) when people will find out or when they will separate.

It is not exactly frowned on in my work place since my dept alone has over 300 staff and the whole building? In thousands. Hard to avoid romance. But it has been messy so one party always leaves or transfers departments once it is serious. Because not all of them were at the same level it was superior- subordinate. Eeky to say but it was always the older guys who caught the sweet young things.

We have had overseas hires come in as couples but everyone is professional during working times. Absolutely. No coy behavior as we are professionals and bound by a professional code of conduct anyway for unprofessional behaviour.

But yeah EH and her boss is very messy. 

5 hours ago, partyon said:

3) Did anyone else tear up watching Eun Hee singing karaoke with her dad ? It was such a heartwarming scene.

I did too, especially when they were doing the pinkie promise on the way home. 

I am a bit disappointed that EH continued welcoming the boss even after he came clean with his existing relationship. For someone who has been at the bitter receiving end of a two-timing guy, she sure is not thinking much for the other girl, whatever the reason boss may have offered, which might not even be true. However, I must admit boss is hard to resist... so charming and his house (by that I mean the library) is to die for... LOL

1 hour ago, D27Gjk68 said:

Yes, I specifically meant relationships between superior-subordinate.  People at same level or different departments often date.

It could also be dependent on the Company policy and if they are strictly enforcing it.

Sometimes there is a policy but higher management may opt to look the other way.

If they are really determined who can stop them?

There is always a way, as wide as a Freeway.

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am a bit disappointed that EH continued welcoming the boss even after he came clean with his existing relationship. For someone who has been at the bitter receiving end of a two-timing guy, she sure is not thinking much for the other girl, whatever the reason boss may have offered, which might not even be true. However, I must admit boss is hard to resist... so charming and his house (by that I mean the library) is to die for... LOL

Both Eun Hee and Gun Joo has things in common and bonded very quickly. I don`t agree with the nickname "The Player" unless he had other girls in his 9 years relationship. It is too early and we don`t really know how is Gun Joo. I wish she will ask the questions she wants to ask. OK, both decided to continue this not so clear relationship and they accepted the concequences too. I will see if he is really over his past relationship. I hope Eun hee is not a rebound girl for him. As for Eun Hee, I am glad that she is more open to a romantic relationship. I hope both will really find what they really want, what are their true feelings. I hope Eun hee will find a long lasting relationship someday. I want her to be happy, just like her sister. 

1 hour ago, larus said:

Both Eun Hee and Gun Joo has things in common and bonded very quickly. I don`t agree with the nickname "The Player" unless he had other girls in his 9 years relationship. It is too early and we don`t really know how is Gun Joo. I wish she will ask the questions she wants to ask. OK, both decided to continue this not so clear relationship and they accepted the concequences too. I will see if he is really over his past relationship. I hope Eun hee is not a rebound girl for him. As for Eun Hee, I am glad that she is more open to a romantic relationship. I hope both will really find what they really want, what are their true feelings. I hope Eun hee will find a long lasting relationship someday. I want her to be happy, just like her sister. 

I would agree that using the word "player" for Gun Joo is pretty harsh as we don't know if he's had other girls during his relationship.

BUT

A little psychology here (skip if you're not interested :joy:).....

It speaks volumes about his character that he isn't able to break up cleanly with his girlfriend. I had the impression that he may almost have wanted his girlfriend to walk in on him and Eun Hee. In that way, maybe the girlfriend would have left him and he wouldn't have had to do the "dirty work".

He is probably scared of letting other people down and feels responsible for other peoples' feelings, so he doesn't want to break up with his girlfriend because he's scared she will be upset. It would trigger negative feelings in himself that he feels uncomfortable with. Easier for him to let her be the one who breaks up with him. In that way, he can avoid those negative feelings about himself.
Again, this is not a healthy way to deal with your emotions.

Rule number one is that you can only be responsible for your feelings - you cannot be responsible for another person's feelings. Even Eun Hee said that in one of the episodes.

Also, he probably still has feelings for his girlfriend (otherwise he wouldn't care about if she would get upset about a breakup), so going into a new relationship with another person will only delay his own healing process. It would always be better to be by yourself for a while after a breakup in order to understand what happened, deal with your feelings and develop yourself before going into a new relationship. Start a new relationship with a clean slate. Now he would be taking all this baggage with him to the relationship with Eun Hee.

Very typical of men, but women do this too. They're scared of being alone, because then they would have to face feelings of sadness, inadequacy, hurt, pain, etc.

By hopping onto the Eun Hee bandwagon, he can avoid going through these feelings and bring in instead a lot of emotional baggage to his new relationship. Eun Hee is the perfect victim for that, because she's unable to set boundaries towards others - thus allowing him to gallop into her life and take advantage of Eun Hee's character. In the long run, this "abuser" -  "victim" relationship will turn sour and problems will appear.

This is not a healthy start of a relationship. Both Gun Joo and Eun Hee really need to work on themselves first and be happy with themselves, before they can be happy with another person.

1 hour ago, partyon said:

This is not a healthy start of a relationship. Both Gun Joo and Eun Hee really need to work on themselves first and be happy with themselves, before they can be happy with another person.

I  agree. I love reading psychological explanations about characters and I enjoyed reading yours. One of the things I love in a kdrama is when I can think and talk about the characters, what make them tick. I find a drama compelling if I can talk about flawed and complex characters.

Poor maknae. His older sisters are bickering, he wants to be the peacemaker but both jump on him. :D I love to see them.

This family reminds me of my own family. I'm so tired of feeling shitty. I try to communicate with my mom yet she fires back at me. I have a feeling that the siblings know each other's characteristics and traits so well, but they try to keep their distance from each other to avoid more problems. 

I interpreted this drama as a slice of life, but I'm realizing that some people in this thread find this drama makjang. I guess I interpreted my makjang life as normal. I am glad I can see other people's perspectives on this thread! 

On a side note, I love the cinematography and storytelling in this drama. 

This particular scene (EH hungover from drinking and sleeping in her sister's place) caught my eye because EH's shirt and blanket matches with the painting on the wall!!! Is this some color representation of EH's warmth going to break into EJ's coldness? What does it mean?! 

HxMzE1w.jpg

50 minutes ago, ponderings said:

I interpreted this drama as a slice of life, but I'm realizing that some people in this thread find this drama makjang. I guess I interpreted my makjang life as normal. I am glad I can see other people's perspectives on this thread! 

It is not makjang if you understand makjang as over the top, unrealistic or ridiculous situations. There are kdramas like that. I also consider this a slice of life drama. The amnesia, birth secret (both some of favorite makjang genre clishee) and other melodramatic situations are done realistic in this drama.

As you said, there are many families that lack comunication skills. Yes, they know how they usual react and avoid more problems (avoid to be nagged/criticised, for exemple) but it is not only that. They avoid talking about their problems and face the problem and they don`t resolve anything this way. They keep things for themselves, they don`t comunicate because that`s what they been doing for years.

50 minutes ago, ponderings said:

This particular scene (EH hungover from drinking and sleeping in her sister's place) caught my eye because EH's shirt and blanket matches with the painting on the wall!!! Is this some color representation of EH's w

armth going to break into EJ's coldness? What does it mean?! 

It could be interpreted this way. Or it is just a coincidence.  Eun Joo was wearing similar color on her pijamas.

18 minutes ago, larus said:

It is not makjang if you understand makjang as over the top, unrealistic or ridiculous situations. There are kdramas like that. I also consider this a slice of life drama. The amnesia, birth secret (both some of favorite makjang genre clishee) and other melodramatic situations are done realistic in this drama.

I am glad you're on the same boat that this drama is a slice of life. I agree with you that things are done realistically. I think there's a perception that most families are happy and talk things through or there's only one obstacle to get through in life (hint: Disney movies). But to some viewers her family seems makjang, unrealistic, because it is broken. They may fulfill their roles — parents and daughters and son — but they don't seem to have the loving aspect of understanding each other.

Now I see that makjang is much more than unrealistic. It is way beyond unrealistic and being ridiculous. Thanks for clarifying the meaning of it. (Just thinking out loud as I type) 

21 minutes ago, larus said:

As you said, there are many families that lack comunication skills. Yes, they know how they usual react and avoid more problems (avoid to be nagged/criticised, for exemple) but it is not only that. They avoid talking about their problems and face the problem and they don`t resolve anything this way. They keep things for themselves, they don`t comunicate because that`s what they been doing for years.

You brought up a good point that they don't look within themselves and don't face their own problems. Would you say EJ is an exception? She's finding her ways and she's always confident about herself. She freelances and knows how to draw her boundaries from that boss who made awful comments like her not having a child and asking her husband's condition. 

The sisters could balanced each other. Eun Hee needs a little of  her sister analitical skills, her cool -headed and organized traits and Eun Joo needs her younger sister`s warmth and spontaneity, to let herself be less than "perfect". She should live her life, make mistakes and still be alright. Eun Hee did not take the wise decision (to date her boss who might not be over his exfinacee) but, at least, she is doing what her heart wants. Maybe it will end in heartbreak but she is living her live. She will gain an experience and maybe help her find a better relationship. That`s why I am not very upset with her.

I hope Eun joo will not shut herself even more after learning the truth about her husband. I was afraid that she will want to continue the marriage on new terms but from the preview she will ask Tae-Hyeong to move on from their house. She warms up in front of barista guy. I don`t think she match up with him on a lorg term but if they will have a romantic relationship it will be alright. It will be a good step for her in the right direction (to allow herself to be happy, to listen to her heart too). 

23 minutes ago, ponderings said:

You brought up a good point that they don't look within themselves and don't face their own problems. Would you say EJ is an exception? She's finding her ways and she's always confident about herself. She freelances and knows how to draw her boundaries from that boss who made awful comments like her not having a child and asking her husband's condition. 

No, Eun joo is not an exception. Oh, yes, she is a confident profesionally, she makes good decisions quickly. I loved how she put her colleague in his place. He was out of the line. I laughed  when Eun Joo told her husband that her colleague doubt about his stamina. :w00t: She was so bold. She looks almost perfect from the outside but if you look more closely we can see how unhappy she is. She doesn`t alow herself to make mistakes. She is the fixer (she fixes/ try to fix the problems for others) but she doesn`t open up about her own problems. Just like she said that she gave up being a mother but we saw that deep down she is not at peace with that. She is just fooling  herself and shuts herself emotionally. She wants to be always in control of her life. But she is unhappy.

She never told the family how she suffered when she has miscarriaged, she never told her mother that she thought she wanted to die with her (she believed that for all those years), she don`t allow her sister to console her after they found out that her husband is gay (in the preview). No, she doesn`t comunicate well about her feelings either.

Guys anyone knows their age on the drama?

Like eun joo chan hyuk eun hee and jiwoo 

So people here prefer chan hyuk to be with eun joo so she can get away from the broken marriage or eun hee so she can get away from the broken engagement. 

Pretty funny that just a slight hint from the director in ep 3 and the ship has moving pretty fast 

1 hour ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Guys anyone knows their age on the drama?

Like eun joo chan hyuk eun hee and jiwoo 

So people here prefer chan hyuk to be with eun joo so she can get away from the broken marriage or eun hee so she can get away from the broken engagement. 

Pretty funny that just a slight hint from the director in ep 3 and the ship has moving pretty fast 

I thought it was obvious that CH would end with EH but with the twists of these last two episodes we are not far from a surprise if CH tells EJ that he has feelings for her there will be another big one dispute between CH and EH, EH is already enough possesive of CH without realizing it, these two already love each other very much, in any case would have been sad, but as we already pointed out CH does not seem to be broken by the fact that EH is sleeping with her boss

personally I would like to see the two friends CH and EH together in love, dating, they understand each other better and know each other

So far JW and SY are the only 2 I specifically want together.  I'll be satisfied as long as the rest can work through their problems and end up in a happier place.  I would prefer EH find someone better than GJ seems to be...

3 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

I like other way. It is really what Chan Hyeok wants. He will make a good couple with both women. They are really lucky if he is in their life, like a friend or like a romantic partner. I like all the characters and I am ready to whatever the writer prepared for them. Just like I was when I was watching Hospital Playlist. I don`t concentrate on a particular couple or character. What I really want is for all the characters to be happier than they are right now, to be at peace with their decisions.

With each episode we`ll find out more about Chan Hyeok too. We`ll see how things will develop. So far it is not definite what his feelings are.

I saw the preview again. I was mistaken. I thought in the preview Eun joo will tell her husband to leave and that she is staying in the house but she was talking to her sister. She told her to leave because she will handle the problems of her house.  I know that she will pretend that everything will be alright. She won`t tell anybody about it and she will tell her husband her new conditions of their marriage but she won`t separate. I will be happy if I am wrong.

Archived