[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

24 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

while it was clever, there were some plot points that never got explained. so why did he sign U NG and then later write in Huang on the paintings? was she buying those paintings simply to pamper her son? ...

yea I had the same impression of them living apart as well which was kind of weird. so when secretary kim attacked her, she was still living in her own apartment. why didn't she move in to jimin's place when they had already registered as a family? if the surgery was so serious, then doesn't it make sense to live together to grab that chance if they don't have it later in the future? so that was a bit strange... and yea, we never heard of what happened to the son of secretary yoo... but since she feels grateful to him for saving woo joo and looking out for her, we just have to assume that she will keep an eye out for his son..

I am happy they kept it uncomplicated. It's very much the tone of the show. HR is a bit whacky and fakey. If she wants WJ dead, it would make sense to get rid of the mother too or ES would go on another revenge binge. I don't understand why ES asked ' why me?' 

It did not seem very long from the unsuccessful wedding to the operation. So living apart did not seem strange to me. I think JM had given the ring to ES just a day or two before Kim attacked her.

We thought she was money laundering but she was in a sense stealing company fund to give her son. I was wondering why she kept his identity hidden. Was it to protect him from Gi Beom?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeon Jung Hoon, Lee Yoo Ri, And More Share Their Final Thoughts On “Lie After Lie”

864fbab9aa1d417f8c058d44f251b8f5.jpeg?s=

Oct 25, 2020
by C. Hong

On October 24, after a record-setting run in viewership ratings for Channel A dramas, “Lie After Lie” came to an end.

“Lie After Lie” is a melodrama about a woman (Lee Yoo Ri) who marries into a wealthy family only to be convicted of murdering her husband. She gives birth to a daughter in prison, who is adopted by a kind-hearted, justice-loving journalist (Yeon Jung Hoon). After she is released from prison, she devises a plan to marry the journalist and become her biological daughter’s stepmother.

In an interview on Channel A’s “News A,” Lee Yoo Ri said, “I wanted to act out a heartbreaking story. I don’t think I’ve ever cried this much while rehearsing scripts.” She added that since she had taken on a character she had never played before, she was happy that it received a favorable response. She continued, “I acted with the mindset that there must be people in Ji Eun Soo [her character]’s situation. I could feel that the viewers also wanted Eun Soo to have a happy ending.”

In a statement from his agency, Yeon Jung Hoon said, “I want to thank all the people who watched ‘Lie After Lie.’ All the staff pooled their strength to create a good production, so I’m happy that it got good results. I learn a lot from working with new people with every project, but I really feel like I’ve learned many things from this production.”

Kwon Hwa Woon said, “I’m sad that we’re already at the end. I had a lot of anticipation and worries because I wasn’t sure how I would express this character of Kim Yeon Joon in the drama, so I prepared a lot for this production. This is the first melodrama that I’ve tried, so I threw myself into it with the mindset that I needed to express a human interior, longing, and the passion that could do anything for the one you love. The atmosphere on set was really good and all the cast members could work hard due to the efforts of the staff. It was an honor to be able to be in unrequited love with Lee Yoo Ri, and I expected nothing less from Yeon Jung Hoon’s acting and I learned a lot from him. This project was an extremely valuable experience for my acting career.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1433682wpp/yeon-jung-hoon-lee-yoo-ri-and-more-share-their-final-thoughts-on-lie-after-lie

51 minutes ago, maribella said:

I am happy they kept it uncomplicated. It's very much the tone of the show. HR is a bit whacky and fakey. If she wants WJ dead, it would make sense to get rid of the mother too or ES would go on another revenge binge. I don't understand why ES asked ' why me?' 

It did not seem very long from the unsuccessful wedding to the operation. So living apart did not seem strange to me. I think JM had given the ring to ES just a day or two before Kim attacked her.

We thought she was money laundering but she was in a sense stealing company fund to give her son. I was wondering why she kept his identity hidden. Was it to protect him from Gi Beom?

The fact that she kept her son's identity hidden was, firstly her image would be tarnished. Why? Because the hidden son was not her husband's son. If he was, then she would not even think about Gi Beom. Since it would be revealed that Kim Ho Ran has a son out of an affair, the board of directors would see her unfit for running the company and ask her to be dismissed from the company itself. 

Second reason is, as I said before too, she had to act like Gi Beom was her son, because he indeed was the company heir, and no good would come from Kim Ho Ran's son's identity being revealed because he would not even be considered for it. Kim Ho Ran would rather keep him close as her secretary, care and protect him. Then since Gi Beom was dead, I am sure she had plans to hand over the company to him in the future. 

@Sleepy Owl, did they say what will happen to the company? To me since KHR killed for the company and her son, it’s important that she at least lost the company entirely. I don’t care if the board appoint a managing director...just as long as KHR has completely lost any right to the company.

I’m still waiting for subs so I don’t know all that happened.

46 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy Owl, did they say what will happen to the company? To me since KHR killed for the company and her son, it’s important that she at least lost the company entirely. I don’t care if the board appoint a managing director...just as long as KHR has completely lost any right to the company.

I’m still waiting for subs so I don’t know all that happened.

No mention of the company, just workers demanding her resignation. It sounds like a listed company so she may have a majority of the shares to be chairman. I don't think she would lose her shares unless she sells them.

30 minutes ago, maribella said:

No mention of the company, just workers demanding her resignation. It sounds like a listed company so she may have a majority of the shares to be chairman. I don't think she would lose her shares unless she sells them.

Hopefully the company sued her if her money laundering involved company funds. And then hopefully the government collect their share from fines and lawsuits. Most of all, I hope she rots in prison. These shows never deliver justice quite the way I want especially when their victims usually lost everything. 

Finally watched the last episode. I really had to compel myself to watch it because the ending kind of fizzled out for me. It was predictable and a little unconvincing. I mean after what we were set up, the last two episodes seemed to have fizzled out the adrenaline rush.

This was a revenge drama so instead of ending it with a bang, too many screen time spent on family drama. I wish they had cleared all the family so that the focus was more on the revelation of the motive and delivering of  justice. 

I mean it was too easy! I can't believe the chairwoman's son/ driver/ secretary was actually hiding in the house! I mean who does that? :crazy:

Anyway, it did keep me entertained all these past weeks and I eagerly waited for the episodes. So, job well done team! But the ending could have been crisper, sharper keeping pace with the rest of the episodes! 

Thank you everyone for bearing with me and my 'theories' and rants. It was wonderful interacting with you all. Thank you all for your insightful views that helped me enjoy the show even more! Hope to see you again in some other drama very soon.

Take care!

Both episodes 15 and 16 not satisfying for me. Needed closures for some issues.Should be an 18 episodes drama.

Looks like at the last minute the scriptwriter changed the script for the ending. ES was supposed to die and her memorial plaque was next to her dad's, not Yoon's.

Needed closures for Yoon's son, the company, sentences for evil MIL and son, the initials of the paintings.

I watched Fatal Promise so l didnt rolled my eyes when ML can go inside the interrogation room ad hoc. 

Overall l enjoyed this drama. Acting was good esp LYR's. Good acting from the young girl too.

Thank you for all the posts here. Love reading them and see you guys in another drama soon!

Well, I, along with the rest of y'all, have finished this drama as well. I'm gonna be honest and say that this was a wonderful drama with very well developed characters, even the Evil Queen and her Huntsman. The actors did an incredible job and so did the team behind this drama! Bravo!

I feel like the ending was rushed, honestly. It could've been a bit more satisfying. When the Evil Queen surrendered to the police, it felt way too anti-climactic. I was hoping for a high-speed chase with a final battle between ES and her. But it was interesting to see her back-story, as well as why JKB was the way he was. I also like that they gave her a valid motive for killing him besides "he was an addict". Made me feel bad for her... for a second. 

I was hoping for more revenge on ES' part. That's why I watched it in the first place, because I was hoping for revenge. I'm not disappointed by the drama itself, though, because it was written very well, regardless of the plot holes.

I just knew the Director/right-hand man was the Evil Queen's son and the real killer. He's just as crazy as his mom. Hwang, I don't feel bad for him at all, let him rot. Jimin's parents are wonderful and the cellmate is a real sweetheart. Se Mi... I do wonder what happened to her. I'm happy for David, I love him so much.

Thanks for enjoying my rants and random plot theories/creations that are way too makjang. See you on another thread!

Not going to lie but those close up shots of Kim Woong when he looked up at Eun Soo in the finale with those evil eyes made him look sooo hot LoL!:tounge_wink: Yes I need help, I know.

Felt that Chairwoman's motivations for suppressing Eun Soo to be rather.. weak?! Like really..? That was it. 

And I really thought Eun Soo didn't make it until Woo Joo looked way too excited LoL.:rolleyes: The plot was predictable but watchable (sort of) I actually skipped a few and nothing much happened really (shrugs) Oh well on to the next. Take care y'all. Be well and be safe xo. 

“Lie After Lie” Star Lee Yoo Ri Talks About The Dangers Of Filming Action Scenes, Acting With Yeon Jung Hoon, And More

d124afb18327436799358f2f161a4531.jpeg?s=

Oct 27, 2020
by M. Kang

A recent interview with the actress Lee Yoo Ri revealed her thoughts on interesting points related to her latest drama, “Lie After Lie.”

Lee Yoo Ri is known to be a professional that gives her absolute everything in every role and performance. Even on KBS 2TV’s show “Fun-staurant,” she suffered an arm injury that had fans worried.

In Channel A’s Friday-Saturday drama “Lie After Lie,” which aired its last episode October 24, she played the character Ji Eun Soo. From scenes portraying domestic violence to the danger of being murdered, taking on this role came with a fair share of intense moments.

In a telephone interview with Newsen, Lee Yoo Ri shared details on a time she almost encountered another injury while filming. She said, “In one scene, there was a moment when my head was hit while fighting over powdered milk in the prison. Not only was I surprised, but the staff members were surprised as well. When we have an action scene coming up, we do a lot of rehearsals so that we don’t get hurt. Even when we are careful, sometimes you still get hurt. It reminded me to be even more careful.”

Lee Yoo Ri also commented on her experience working with fellow cast member Yeon Jung Hoon. The two had already worked together in 2003 by acting as a couple in the series “Yellow Handkerchief.”

Their strong friendship naturally led to great chemistry both onscreen and offscreen. Lee Yoo Ri stated that because they are so close, the two talked about acting as siblings for their next project to properly capture their dynamic.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1434128wpp/lie-after-lie-star-lee-yoo-ri-talks-about-the-dangers-of-filming-action-scenes-her-experience-acting-with-yeon-jung-hoon-and-more

26 minutes ago, jelly said:

I'm a bit confused. Did the FL really die in the end? The beep beep sound ends when she's down with the operation. Then her final last thoughts appear in her dream or dream state to her daughter. Then the dad and daughter go the graveyard, and we see her in a white dress. Umm, did the writer or actors ever state if she died or not? They made it a bit confusing imo. Other than that, fantastic drama! Seeing lots of dramas this year with parent/child relationships!

Any clarifications would be nice! If anybody here has any of the actors or writers stating it, that too would be great!

FL is still alive... She and her daughter survived the operation , it's a real situation not a dream!! BTW i loved this drama, great acting esp from ES and her child!!:issohappy:

SPOILER ALERT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drama was well written and detailed. You actually don't need a lot of characters to get a good drama. As always, Lee Yoori did a great job, her emotions, her pain, her smile everything is very detailed and so realistic. This is why she is the rating queen, invert drama she never stop challenging herself and that is why we all love her!! ^^

Yeon Jung Hoon portrayed the role perfectly, his last drama that I have watched is Mask and I just love him in the drama. In this drama, I have to confess that I didn't like his acting at the beginning because I find it too overplayed BUT then as the drama goes on it's just me the pb haha his acting was totally fine and more than perfect haha.

Spoiler

In this drama, you can see two kind of mother love. 

The mother who would harm her own self to protect her child rather use others to protect her child. She will be the shield that would prevent the child to be hurt. Even if Eun Soo loves her daughter a lot and wants to see her to the point of lying so she could be with Woo Joo. You can say it was selfish yet it can be understandable after seeing what she overcome. She couldn't tell Woo Joo that she is her mother because as a mother you don't want your child to have a killer as a mother. Even if it's not true, she was still a convict in the past. It's a thing that people will always remember.

fullsizephoto1212487.jpg

The second type is a mother who also loves her child and like other mother she wants to protect her child. She is the one who would protect her child by using other, by harming other. Even though it is the wrong thing to do but she still does it because in her mind this is the only way help, to protect her child.

There are moms who are blinded by the mother-love they have for their child so they don't see other as "people" they just see the person who harms their child is the wrong one, the one who should pay for what they done to their child. And, there are mothers like that in the society...

As for Kim Hwa Ran, she chose the wrong way to protect her son by hurting people around. She

She was married to a man who never stopped to beat her until he was satisfied. She was pretty, rich and smart yet she wasn't happy at all. Her only happiness is her son, so she had to protect it at any cost. 

She has to survive in this life.

20200904085000346xziy.jpg

Wow, that was quite a ride. I enjoyed it.

The bad:

- I did not appreciate how they trolled the viewers by teasing until the last moment that Eun-Soo may have died. That whole "death dream" sequence with the firefly and ending the entire series at a cemetery. I'm glad she's alive, but that was too much, show.

I'm going to assume that she wasn't at home with them because she was busy running D.O Cosmetics as its new CEO.

- Okay, so he changed the signature on the artwork from UNG to HYANG. But he used paint that could wash off with water? He didn't have a Sharpie lying around?

- I'm a little disappointed by the final reveal - that Eun-Soo lied about being pregnant to KHR so KHR blames her for everything and that's the reason for years of murderous hatred. WHAT. I guess crazy be crazy, and that's that.

The good:

- Lee Yuri was great.

- The actress who played Woo-Joo was great.

- I'm glad Se-Mi didn't stay crazy. It was nice to see her on the TV screen with Yeon-Joon.

- I'm glad Yeon-Joon is still winning at golf. I was getting worried that he was never practicing golf. Ha ha.

I think this drama was a little bit all over the place.  I went into this suspecting it would be a makjang-type drama, and once it was confirmed, I continued to watch this knowing that was what I was going to get.  Still, even with a makjang, I think you can have some better quality writing and character development.  Or, perhaps, the series wasn't long enough to do that.  Here is my list of goods/bads:

The Good:

-Relatively easy drama to watch to take me away from daily life

-Happy that it aired on weekends

-Not overly long like other makjangs where the "bad" characters get to such a degree that you end up having to stop watching it for a few episodes

-Heroine was never so down on herself and became a doormat that you couldn't watch anymore

-Yeon Jung Hoon as main actor. 

-No whole lets-everyone-hold-hands-and-sing-kumbaya ending.  I'm glad that the bad characters got their punishment.

The Bad:

-The crazy stuff where you have to ignore that something like this would just never happen in real life (Secretary Yun alerting KHR to what he's going to reveal so that she can kill him off, JM getting to enter an interrogation room, etc.)

-main actress.  Sorry, just not a fan.  But obviously not an anti as I'll still watch her stuff, but just wish they had cast someone else.  I think my main issues with her would be resolved if she had new management.  Not that I know something is wrong with her management, but am just assuming that better management would get her better stylists, make-up artists, coaches, etc who would better have her fit the roles that she is playing.

-Rushed ending.  Did anyone else feel that that the ending was rushed?  There was so much more that could have been explored and developed.  Even KHR's evil character could have been explained more.  How the abuse that she suffered damaged her own psyche.  Explain her whole "you-lied-to-me" excuse to JES.

-Character development.  There was really very little of this at all in the drama.  Wish I could have seen some real character development.

• 3 months later...

Am currently re-watching Lie After Lie. Came to notice Kim Ho-ran house is the same house in My Healing Love where Choi Jin-yoo Step-father, Grandma, Mother, Sister, Ki-bbeum and eventually Chi-yoo is staying.  Instead of using the small wooden entrance, they are using the huge double door entrance.
Interesting how K-drama recycle homes and all are such beautiful homes.
And am watching Lie After Lie because of Youn Jung-hoon... :heart1: 

The Ridiculously Sadist
Eun Se-mi, ex wife of Kang Ji-min, she who thinks she still has the right to take back Ji-min and be a mother to Woo-joo... Se-mi ridiculously sadist thinking her affair with another guy is not wrong as it happens when she was in so much pain and like no one can understand. And even better is she brings the guy back to her married home in the bed she is sharing with her then husband Ji-min. Wow...yet appearing after leaving the family...alright Ji-min divorced her...so she had to leave...but to come back and say she still loves Ji-min and wants to be a mother to Woo-joo and that Woo-joo needs her as a mother... That is really triple blow to the heart and soul.
She justified her affair as being in pain and no one understand that pain...
How about she leaves the pot cooking on the stove and head out with her "affair-guy"? Is that justifiable / right?
The Wicked Beyond Justification
Kim Ho-ran, ex mother-in-law of Ji Eun-soo aka legal grandmother of Woo-joo. When things do not go her way, she is out to destroy. She use every means to destroy another person without a blink of her eye yet she can make it like she is the "victim"  She uses Mr Yoon Sang-kyu weakness which is his hospitalized son to manipulate Mr Yoon. Yes Mr Yoon is her right-hand man or so called "dirty man" as in doing all the dirty work for her.
If she seriously love her son Jeon Ki-beom, she would love his daughter as it would be her grand-daughter. But her hatred for Eun-soo is so strong so full of violent she would do anything to destroy whatever is related to Eun-soo. Strange be it that she asked Mr Yoon to kill her grand-daughter. Cannot comprehend her mind but seeing how crazy Ki-beom is... guess can close on an eye on that.
Even better is she hides the fact Kim-woong who became her right-hand man after Mr Yoon left...is her blood son.  She is a destroyer and guessing could result from the many years of abused from her abusive husband.  

Shall end with this two for now...
need to eye wash first :P

Archived