[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

Just watched episode 4. So far I am loving the mother daughter reunion. There is also some sparks from JM and ES. The stepmother is all ready acting psycho. It's going to be a long ride of her interference. I wonder what the chairwoman is going to do when she finds out that ES daughter is alive and well. Will she try to kill her again? She seems unhinged so anything is possible. 

When JM finds out who ES is, he will be hurt. Next episode ES will try to get close to JM. 

Plus we have another player vying for ES attention. Her childhood friend ? 

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Lie After Lie” Breaks Its Own Record For Highest Drama Ratings In Channel A History

2f8235f5acad4732866558580323ff89.jpeg?s=

Sep 13, 2020
by E. Cha

Just one day after making Channel A history with a brand-new ratings record, “Lie After Lie” has done it again!

On September 12, the new suspense-romance drama starring Lee Yoo Ri and Yeon Jung Hoon continued to draw new viewers and achieved its highest viewership ratings to date.

According to Nielsen Korea, the fourth episode of “Lie After Lie” scored an average rating of 4.2 percent (both nationwide and in the Seoul metropolitan area), easily breaking its own record from the previous night for the highest ratings achieved by any drama in Channel A history. The episode peaked at an impressive 5.3 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1425159wpp/lie-after-lie-breaks-its-own-record-for-highest-drama-ratings-in-channel-a-history

I'm quite happy that this show is getting good ratings! I am enjoying it.

Lee Yoori deserves all the kudos. She is great at the overwrought screaming and crying. Episode 4 also reminded me that she is great in the quieter moments, where you can see all the emotions just brimming in her eyes. She is just great. She single-handedly makes this show worth watching.

The story hook is great, too. I mean, it's ... out there, but don't you want to see how this ends? I do!

That little girl playing Woo Joo should get a lot of credit, too. She really breaks my heart. :heartbreak:

As long as these two elements are working, the rest should be good.

Random comments -  yes, I'm not a big fan of the screechy Grandma. And she said some very wrong stuff to Se Mi after one of her miscarriages. Very uncool.

Sister is too silly to take seriously.

I enjoy Se Mi. She looks like she is just one step away from being tipped over into crazytown. (Evil Chairwoman will help you get there!)

The golfer from America. Okkkkaaaayyy. I will reserve judgment.

Hello chingus, I binge watched the first 4 episodes. What a good revenge melodrama (LYR is the best in this genre) ! I am hooked. We are together for 6 weeks... 

The life of our FL ES was so sad and unfair. Hopefully, she will find happiness and really will be in love with the ML JM. And she needs a proper revenge !!! I really liked the daddy-girl relationship and the mommy-girl reunion. 

I think ES has money because she was married to a 2nd chaebol ? She must have some savings thanks to her art craft ? She might have met her husband during an exhibition...

She met her husband when doing a presentation of his company's products. He was smittened with her and mummy approved.

LYR is really good. I teared a few times in ep 4. Especially that part where she showed her daughter's photo in her phone to her dad. Is so so sad. 

watched ep 4 and the drama is really hitting its groove. am really enjoying it.

@joccu @alleram95 @Susu ~ don't think the golfer david is looking for eun soo for romantic reasons. my guess is that she was a neighbour who looked after him and he considers her the only family left. or maybe a cousin. it seems a bit absurd to cross the ocean and move to look for a childhood sweetheart though the poster says something about first love.... from the short glimpse, we saw a young boy crying while eun soo looked like a middle school student. so am ruling out childhood love for now. it seems like David enjoys twisting words in front of the press and others to let others think a certain way - his words were that he likes this person that he is looking for. chairwoman and other reporters are immediately thinking of a romantic connection but the word like can also be used for other relationships. @Jillia ~ any idea?

what was really striking about the end of ep 3 and beginning of ep 4 was how eun soo is still suffering the effects of being battered in abusive relationship and being run over the system. when ji min walks angrily towards her, she immediately falls and starts to cower almost out of habit and instinct. when he is asking her what happened, she can barely get her words out. even with the police interrogation, it is like she doesn't believe that they will hear and so does not bother to explain. it seems easier to be misunderstood.

so in some ways, ji min reaching out to her to apologize is a big deal. it is interesting to see him just open up and be direct about his struggles of being a single father. does he just feel at ease with her? or is he just so open? woo joo's idea of a camping trip shows that she misses those family outings that she used to have but at the same time, she rejects semi who abandoned her. there is anger missed with missing as well.

am looking forward to next week's episodes to see how eun soo begins seduction of ji min. considering her previous marriage and how much she suffered, it is not going to be that easy for her to be open to him romantically. however, she will push through because she wants to be close to be woo joo. we can expect lots of angst as the demons of her past rear their head in all sorts of ways. eun soo is also likely to push back strongly against se mi -- for abandoning her daughter.... also how will secretary yoon react and what will he do with chairwoman's orders?

@tulip06 ~ the mom is okay but the sister ji kyung is a bit annoying.. just fast forward her bits. not sure why she is even taking se mi's calls if that is the sister-in-law who cheated on her brother?

:idk:

17 hours ago, alleram95 said:

Oh and Eun Soo previous cell-mate move near Ji Min's house. She got her boy back. The boy, Jin Guk, seems to have a crush with Woo Joo

totally didn't catch that she was the previous cell mate. well eun soo needs some allies in her corner. jin guk is so cute the way he flirts with woo joo. awww.

20 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Also, we found out that Ji Min's family doesn't know the details of the reasons behind the divorce. But oh dear I have to say I was feeling for Se Mi when she miscarriaged and Ji Min's mother was anything but supportive.

found that scene confusing; wasn't sure what exactly the mother-in-law was trying to say; it sounded like she was upset that se mi has kept trying for IVF even though ji min and his family are not for it as they have woo joo. am wondering if se mi had a tough time accepting her infertility and perhaps put a distance between herself and woo joo. perhaps the affair was a result of her issues with infertility. am also wondering who was the man she was having an affair with..

given all these baby scenes, am also wondering how far eun soo will go to get ji min. will she get pregnant in order to ensure he marries her and she gets to be a parent to woo joo?

25 minutes ago, Jillia said:

First was the meeting between Ji Min and Se Mi. It's obvious their relationship is completely broken and I actually believe that on Ji Min's part he is serious that it's over for him. But I also understand he is still feeling anger.

yea, there is a total finality to his words -- he was really sarcastic and his words had a real bite....

27 minutes ago, Jillia said:

In the end Eun Soo's plan is set and oh dear if it's not a plan to got potentially wrong... but also looking forward to these two spending more time together.

it looks like it will be lots of fun to watch.  this looks like a real angsty romance as she has not yet processed her abuse. she is likely going to be telling all sorts of lies as she is a bit afraid of him as a man and it will be interesting to see how ji min figures this all out...

I'm not sure which warmed my heart more—the camping scene, or Eun Soo showing the picture to her father. Whenever Lee Yoori's eyes brim with tears, I just feel for her character. The daughter was excellent as well, especially in that scene where she remembered Se Mi leaving.

I agree, Ji Min's mother and sister can be quite annoying. Their characters seem more like the type you'd find in daily dramas...

Minor detail: I'm waiting for Ji Min and Eun Soo to ask each other their names. I mean, are they just going to keep meeting without knowing each other's names? If Ji Min had to tell her about the camping plans, he would've had to have her number, no? haha

Also I really hope Secretary Yoon chooses to help Eun Soo please she needs people on her side.

@Lmangla, @Jillia, please clarify one thing for me. To me seems like, Se Mi does not know that Ji Min knows she cheated on him. Firstly if she knew about it, it would make her really shameless to try to come back, after being caught red handed, but that is if Ji Min did that. Secondly she keeps talking about doing "A Mistake" that day, which I think is related to the scene we saw where Ji Min enters the house full of smoke and Woo Joo sick in her bed. There we see Woo Joo being taken to the hospital and Ji Min staring at Se Mi while she crying. What I am thinking is Ji Min used that as an excuse to divorce her and she still does not know about him knowing about her affair. Do tell if there was something I missed about it. Their talk was very vague and what I could conclude was this. But if she really knows that he knew she cheated on him and wants to come back to him, it is disgusting. She wanting to spend time with Woo Joo is fine, because with the scenes we saw, she loved her, but coming back to Ji Min is something else. 

Please Ji Min's family was harsh on Se Mi, but not in a negative way. By this I am not saying what they did was not wrong or defend it. But we usually see families being harsh on the daughter in law for not being to give birth to their son's child. To me it didn't look her first miscarriage. Must have happened before too, which worried the family and made then vent their emotions on her like that, which were really very harsh for Se Mi to on the receiving end of it. 

Apart from that I really loved both the episodes. The details are what making it more impressive. Eun Soo's reaction to Ji Min approaching with anger was really well directed and acted. It clearly showed that even after 10 years she is traumatized with the domestic violence she faced and reacted like that. Lee Yoo Ri's acting so far has been the best among others in this drama. The scene where she showed that photo to her father and even showed herself was warm and sad at the same time. She crying every time she would see Woo Joo would really make the viewers sad and make them feel her pain (at least it to me). 

Okay so coming to the new character introduced, Kim Yeon Joon. At first I really thought that he was the guy with who Se Mi cheated with and left Korea. I was wrong, and she is his agent actually. He came to search for Eun Soo, seems like she took care of him when he was a kid. For now, to me it looks like he wanted to meet her to thank her supporting him back then, now that he became a famous golfer. Now that he knows her situation, he'll try to support her and help her, but well we all know whats gonna happen next, he'll fall for her. But for now, what I think he was feeling for her was gratitude and now he feels like he needs to support her after knowing her situation.

Kim Ho ran is quite sharp to notice that Eun Soo has found some reason to not go after her. Looks like she'll go to the end to make her suffer. To me I feel like she'll be using Se Mi to break Eun Soo and Ji Min apart, of course will try to attack Ji Min's job too. Got to see how they'll face a lady whose influence has no bounds. 

But what I am more interested to see is how Eun Soo and Ji Min will go into relationship and how they'll be together. Both of them have big scars from their past relationships. Eun See was a victim of domestic violence, still has some PTSD for it, and will definitely feel uncomfortable being with another man for sometime. Yes, she was comfortable being with Ji Min in episode 4, but that was just for one day, being in relationship is something different. Plus she already knows the fact that men can hide their true self till the very end like her ex-husband. On the other hand, we have Ji Min whose wife cheated on him. People can forget many things, but when their partner cheats on them, that trauma remains with them for a long time. And well above all, Eun Soo will be lying to be with him and it will be interesting how he'll react after knowing the truth about it. 

Anyway, the drama so far has been really good and look forward to how story will go on. 

@Sleepy Owl ~ we will have to wait and see but in the conversation, it sounded like the mistake se mi was referring to was her leaving woo joo sick in the house. like you said, it is quite possible that ji min has never actually confronted her about the affair. perhaps, he was too embarrassed. lets see how it plays out.

Frustrating that Ji Min just doesn't have the patience to listen, while Eun Soo doesn't finish her sentences LoL. It's a relief that the misunderstanding was quickly cleared up though. I hate that Se Mi is trying to worm her way back.

In flashbacks, it appears as if Ji Min's mom forced her to divorce Idk? Y'all know how possessive moms are in K-Dramas LoL. Look at Eun Soo's MIL! She still won't let Eun Soo go.. that woman has way too much time on her hands.

It looks like Woo Joo got herself a secret admirer eeheheh. Same with Eun Soo with that David guy... yet another cliched trope - first loves. She look real pretty with her hair makeover. Where she gets the money though LoL? Thought employment is difficult as she's been in prison. Drama logic huh LoL.

I am excited for mom to be reunited with her child, although I am not sure how well this will go down with the rest. Or if Ji Min finds out the truth.     

37 minutes ago, Susu said:

What if it was not Se Mi that was in the bedroom having an affair? What if it was his sister and some guy?

They won't go that way. Firstly Ji Min clearly saw it. Plus he was her husband long enough to be able to differentiate between the voices of his wife and sister. On the other hand plot wise it would be too convenient and lazy writing to go that way. 

Honestly before 3rd episode I was having this thought that maybe she did not cheat on him and well something else was happening inside. It was absurd, but I was thinking they would go "Suspicious Partner" way. You would get it if you watched that drama.

But now, we have clear evidences for it to be his wife. On the other hand it would not at all make sense for the sister to be in that room. Firstly because she would not know when Woo Joo would come home. Secondly she would not know when Se Mi would come, even if she did, she would know that Woo Joo could be home or could come home anytime. And it really does not make sense, there are like tens of places where the sister could go from motel, hotel to the guy's home or even own home. 

And I think we did see Ji Min looking at her back, but he must have ensured that it is Se Mi, because he would really want to confirm it while hoping she is not Se Mi. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

is it just me or se mi look far better with long hair?

now with the short hair and that tons makeup she looks really scary lol compare to light makeup and longhair in the flashback.

no wonder woo jo got scared haha

hahahha.....the way semi dresses gives off a cruella kind of fashion vibe! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I get this weird feeling she is supposed to turn into a young version of Chairwoman Kim. Not without reason did she meet her and Chairwoman Kim told her to take what she desires. So maybe her look is supposed to reflect that.:D

yea, I can see chairwoman using her as a tool to hurt eun soo. se mi is already showing signs where she thinks it is her right to waltz back in as if nothing happened...

28 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I get this weird feeling she is supposed to turn into a young version of Chairwoman Kim. Not without reason did she meet her and Chairwoman Kim told her to take what she desires. So maybe her look is supposed to reflect that.:D

Well You see, isn't this what happens in this kind of genre? The second FL is kinda the cruel one or develops into an evil one and so she is made to look like that. Made to look less prettier than the FL, and heavy make up to not make her look innocent. 

Now that you mention chairwoman, I am sure it'll be Se Mi who'll expose Eun Soo's real identity to Ji Min. But I am more interested in the talk Ji Min will have with her when he'll confront her for cheating on him. Will it make Se Mi step back or add fuel to the fire?

Plus the talk of chairwoman about her motto about grasping everything that she desired. I see Se Mi getting very much influenced by it or getting influenced by it. And as you said, the similarity in their looks especially hair style is too similar to be seen as a co-incidence.

But she really did look very pretty with the light make up and longer hair. Why can't we just get an evil/cruel woman who actually looks as pretty as the FL and looks equally innocent :evilelmo:.

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Indeed I feel like it was a deliberate choice to style her/make her look that way. The hairstyles definitely resemble each other. Looks a lot more vengeful and agitated

Spoiler

Eh3OXYrUcAAP1YE?format=jpg&name=900x900Eh3OXpDVkAMyL1v?format=jpg&name=900x900

11 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Sleepy Owl @memory magnet

I have an inkling that Se Mi will turn into an antagonist. But I kind of hope I'm wrong. But as you can see in the screenshots, thanks again for sharing @memory magnet, the similarities are right there. And she is keen to get Woo Joo and even Ji Min back. In Korea, I think even til this day, it's not so easy for a divorced woman to get custody over her children. At least it wasn't so easy back then since the children are registered in the husband's family register. Which is why the children carry their father's name. And I understand Ji Min's resentment toward Se Mi. Divorce is one thing but to leave a child behind another. So I understand he won't let her back in. But he was willing I'm sure if Woo Joo would've said she likes to see her mother. But I guess she is very much conflicted. She doesn't want to hurt her father.

Firstly, now that Eun Soo has come into picture, I don't think she'll even be able to argue that. We know that Eun Soo is will lie about her identity and other things. But I don't think she'll continue her lies and expose her identity if she'll see Woo Joo going to Se Mi. Like by the time this happens in drama, we would have already seen Ji Min opening up to Eun Soo, so she must be knowing about Se Mi's negligence to Woo Joo and also about her affair.

What is interesting is how the chairwoman will play in all this drama going on. The fact that Eun Soo is trying to go out or is going out with a married man with a child having the age of her daughter if she were alive. We know how sharp that woman is and she'll start having her suspicions. Will she support Se Mi to get Woo Joo or will she try to harm Woo Joo to have the revenge which she didn't get to have. 

Now coming back to Se Mi. She might have Woo Joo. Like Woo Joo agreeing to meet her and go out with her, but does anyone think she'll get Ji Min? I highly doubt it. I don't even think the dude will have second thoughts. He still is resentful towards her for cheating on him, which he did not express to anyone. Like keeping that thing inside for 3 years, I expect him exploding in front of her with that when the time comes. But if given a choice to choose between Se Mi and Ji Min, I think Woo Joo will go with Ji Min all day given the fact that she feels Se Mi abandoned them and she has seen Ji Min working hard and caring for her so much. 

But let's enjoy Se Mi going full crazy mode and doing crazy stuff only to realize she cannot get anything. But the main antagonist will be chairwoman for me. She can and she'll cause more problems for Ji Min and Eun Soo than Se Mi. Plus I also want to see how our golfer dude will fit in the plot. Will he be the secret knight in shining armor of Eun Soo and protect her? But how?

I find the actress playing Se Mi  a bit creepy after watching the drama Soul which also starred Lee Seo Jin. Her death stared eyes......

I think the murderer is the chairwoman's personal assistant. The smile....when chairwoman praised him.

The husband probably found that the PA stole money or that he got the hoots for his mum. Maybe rediculed/threatened him.

After  Eun Soo fainted, the PA who brought him to Eun Soo house got out of the car, assessed the situation and stabbed the husband.

Archived