[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

I am actually happy that Ji Min found the truth in 9th episode. For me it was the perfect time, had it been later than this, I would see the drama rushing suddenly. Anyway, got to feel for Ji Min. He finally was courageous enough to open up to a woman only to find he was approached by her with the intentions of getting close to Woo Joo. I do understand him not buying any "I love you now" or similar things from Eun Soo. But well, we might see them together at least to protect Woo Joo and sort solve the murder. 

As for Se Mi, she is consistently continuing being a #*&@*. Loved how Ji Min actually thrashed her for playing dirty. I wonder how much lower will she continue to fall. 

As for Secretary Yoon, I am really shocked. Why do all people in dramas repeat same mistakes. If you've got a card which could bring down chairwoman, and you don't trust her, thus want to reveal it to the world, why go and show it to her? Why do people actually have to do it and get themselves killed? Of course I do think that he has the original docs saved somewhere, but it was really foolish for a person to do it who actually knows the chairwoman quite well. 

As for the recording and the papers he showed to her, we do get some hints that chairwoman was actually directly involved in Eun Soo's dad's death. But I think there is something else too. Her voice recording of giving order to kill her son or Eun Soo's dad? It sure is something related to them. I think it could be related to both, since it was a voice recording and some photos I guess in the envelope. 

Looking forward to today's episode. 

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jillia you are right about Se Mi. She could do anything while Eun So and Ji Min concentrate on Kim Ho Ran. I actually see her continue playing dirty. She might go to Ji Min's parents and tell them about Eun Soo being an ex-convict. She might even blackmail Eun Soo about telling Woo Joo that she is adopted, if she continues seeing Ji Min. 

I want to see how David will fit in the picture. Will he confront Se Mi and not allow her do her dirty tricks and let Eun Soo continue her relationship and help her with it? Could be. But could he do something against the chairwoman? I don't think. For now, he has been acting immaturely. But I really want to see him do something productive, apart from trying to win over his Noona. 

What makes me crazy is, Se Mi is not at all sorry for anything. She continues to say leaving Woo Joo was a mistake, but I feel she is not even sorry for it. 

Spoiler for ep 10

Spoiler

- Secretary Yoon didn't make it.

- YJ give JM the unsent letter of ES which proves how hard she tried to ask for help to clear her name

- JM finally start his (postponed) investigation about the incidents 10 years ago

- HR wants to see WJ when she is in the hospital

Preview ep 11

Quick translations (might contain some mistakes)

ES: Ji Min, I can't leave. No, I won't leave. I have to protect Woo Joo
JM: Please don't leave
HR: We need something bigger 
Secretary: I'll find out everything about Kang Ji Min and his family
HR: I've told you before. I'll do anything to have anything I want. I thought you too are the same like me
SM: The one who can win against your previous daughter in law is only me
YJ: Don't touch her. It is not something that concerns you
SM: Then do you want me to watch from the side when an ex-convict is getting closer with my man and child?!
WJ: What a relief. I really worried about you. I'm afraid that you will disappear
JM's mother: We need to talk
ES: They asked me to come? Aren't you curious about me? 
JM: Ji Eun Soo is someone that I love
SM: How can you be this shameless? Before I humiliate you any longer, should I give you the chance to leave? Or perhaps, should I just reveal all the truth?
HR: She even has hugged the child. I am worried that my granddaughter will get hurt

Just want to give appreciation to the actress who plays Se-Mi (Lim Ju-Eun). I'm so happy to see her because I think she's so pretty and talented, and haven't seen her in anything for a long time. Now I get to see her in this show and also in Empress Ki (which I am watching these days).

The first time I saw her was in Wild Romance. I don't recommend it (the plot is bonkers) but Lim Ju-Eun was so cute and funny in that show, it's one of the only things I remember about it.

Wild_Romance-Lim_Ju-Eun.jpg

Also, the actor Lee Won-Jong (Secretary Yoon) is in it, and Lee Il-Hwa (Evil Chairwoman Kim Ho-Ran) plays his wife.

Wild_Romance-Lee_Won-Jong.jpg

The next time I saw her was in Heirs, where she played the woman that Choi Jin-Hyeok loved, and he violently wept over her. Again, one of the only things I remember about that show.

So, yay to Lim Ju-Eun. I'm sorry she has to play a bug-eyed evil puppet to the Big Bad, but she looks pretty.

I'm sad Secretary Yoon died. I like this actor and I'll miss him. They gave us some hope by showing him being taken to the hospital in the preview but it is realistic that no one could survive that kind of fall.

I'm glad Yeon-Joon is being a good friend to Eun-Soo. At first he seemed way too intrusive and possessive, but now he is just being a great friend to her and that is what she needs more than anything. Yay, Yeon-Joon! (also, this actor is currently also starring in Zombie Detective, which is super funny)

Lim ju eun also play the evil second lead in uncontrollably fond. 

Mannn i havent watch the full episode 10 ( only some clip ) but looking at the preview its look like jimin and eunsoo had found peace to each other again? 

It is sad that secretary yoon die. It will be traumatic tho to eunsoo that someone close to her die again. 

I thought of rushing and watching episode 10, but this time Viki is subbing pretty fast, and I want to use their subs.  I hope ES and JM resolve their issues fast, because those two witches are after WJ.  And I think the cheater does care about WJ, just not as much as she cares about herself.  But she will get a shock when she sees HR trying to hurt WJ.

I wonder what the details of the dirt on HR were?  And could she really have tolerated her line being cut off?  I feel like she must have a secret son or daughter somewhere.

Perhaps HR was an abused wife and got away with killing her husband.

Looks like ES 's prison mate will betray her later. Husband had more screen time in the latest episode.

Yoon's death meant he was likely not the one who killed ES' s husband. Did he see HR in the car which caused ES's father to die?

Is the murderer the new character who JM bumped into?

Thank goodness David served a purpose LoL. He came through as his noona's saviour. 'Cause we got enough annoyance from the chairwoman and Se Mi so it's  a relief David's not added to it. 

His faith in Eun Soo was kind of..endearing eheheh. I liked how apt that artwork was to the chairwoman. She is two faced indeed. Se Mi brought up an interesting question though, why does the chairwoman hate Eun Soo so much!? It can't be 'cause she's the fairest in the land is she LoL!? 

Ugh Se Mi and the chairwoman now team up to tear Ji Min/Eun Soo/Woo Joo apart~ If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect Se Mi was the chairwoman's daughter! They are both diabolical,  wear red shoes and have the same hairstyle.

Ahahah it's lovely that Ji Min's rowdy family were all too pleased to take Eun Soo in. It's a pity that Mr. Yoon had to go, what becomes of his son I wonder?   

10 hours ago, chickfactor said:

So, yay to Lim Ju-Eun. I'm sorry she has to play a bug-eyed evil puppet to the Big Bad, but she looks pretty.

:hwaiting2: Bug eye is so common in Kdrama, a bug-eyed villain. I really don't like her eye makeup. It's too dark and heavy. She and the golf guy are really caricatures. Tone them down.

So Secretary Yoon is actually dead. But not all crimes are perfect, thanks to Ji Min the case can be investigated more and in the direction of it being a murder too. Chances are this will also be a bad move for Kim Ho Ran. Given her reaction, I wonder either she wanted Yoon to be dealt more discreetly or didn't really order his killing but wanted to get those evidence. 

Finally some development for David. He did something which was expected from him, matured up, spoke to Eun Soo, and told that he will always be on her side, no matter what. Gave all those letters to Ji Min, to show him how desperate Eun Soo was in proving her innocence, and to show why maybe Eun Soo really could not tell him everything. We see Ji Min conflicted. He knows the real reason, but can't really accept the fact that he was used in Eun Soo's big plan. We see him confronting her again in the hospital after she tells him everything. He was harsh, but well, from his POV, he was deceived and so forgiving her for it so easily is not something I really expect from him. 

I really loved how Ji Min confronted Kim Ho Ran openly. In my opinion it was actually a smart move by him. He sort of earned a protection by doing it. He openly indirectly accused her of killing her ex-Secretary who wanted to reveal something against her. Also sending him away when he was in between investigating her son's murder, stopping Eun Soo's letters to him and also he raised all those questions on her son's murder and indirectly proved and buried the seed of doubts in all reporters' mind there that maybe Eun Soo's was just a scapegoat here and not actually the one who murdered her son. 

Now this thing will actually act as an armor for Ji Min. Since he openly questioned Kim Ho Ran and also revealed the death of Yoon who died while wanting to reveal things about her, all eyes will be on her. She can't really harm Ji Min openly now, anything happening to him will make everyone doubt Kim Ho Ran, because once is co-incidence, but second time is never. Same goes with him getting transferred. She for now literally can't do anything to Ji Min, because everyone now knows he is investigating her and her son's murder and doing anything will point things to her. 

Also going by every episode, I really get more convinced that she got her own son killed. We see how she openly accuses Eun Soo for it, for her daughter's death and also now Yoon's death. She sort of means they all died because she was near them. "Your daughter died, because she was your daughter and you had killed my son" she has the ability to put blame on others and believe in it. She has conscience, correct, but I think this is how her mind works. She does it and reasons it as something had to be done and was done because of Eun Soo, so she is the one who caused it. So I really believe she got her son killed and now accuses Eun Soo wholeheartedly for it. 

Chances are the guy who we saw in the end of the episode briefly colliding with Ji Min in the past be the one who killed her son on her order. 

Talking about the preview, Se Mi will continue to be @#$%@$#%#$%#@$@%# and meet Ji Min's family. I think she is going to tell them about Eun Soo's past to them. She might be able to push Eun Soo away from the competition, but she does not that she was never in the competition. She is trying so hard, being delusional, I really see her being beaten by Ji Min's mom, if she ends up saying she only cheated on her son while Eun Soo is an ex-convict. I think Kim Ho Ran will threaten Eun Soo saying she will reveal everything to Woo Joo, if she continues to stay with her, Se Mi will do it with her past, good to see David standing against her. Loving the pace of the drama, and the mystery around chairwoman's death being teased in every episode.  

Hello chingus..... 

When Lie after Lie previews were circulated before it's premiere.... After reading the synopsis... I was like 'another melodrama'!!!!... I wasn't ready for the gloom... 

So I ignored it...

But week after weeks... Saw the news of the series breaking it's own records... So I was really curious... And here I am... :D

I finished 10 episodes in three days... Just finished the 10th episode now... 

And I am glad I watched it... 

What I am liking about this drama is..

The crucial moments are not dragged.. 

The doubts felt by KJM is short... 

Kim Ho Ran... Played by Lee Il Hwa is doing exceptionally great in her role as the villianess... Unlike the mother  played in the Reply series...hating Kim Ho Ran... 

Can't wait for JES to get the justice she deserves.... :hooray:

12 minutes ago, Jillia said:

And it's such a irony since he told Eun Soo to stay away from Woo Joo after she told him about Kim Ho Ran trying to kill his daughter back then when she was a baby but his actions, openly confronting Kim Ho Ran, is actually putting him and Woo Joo in danger as well.

It was pretty smart of him to confront her openly, because as I said above too, it will put him into spotlight as the one who is investigating her son's murder. Plus he very subtly pointed out Kim Ho Ran was trying to stop him from investigation, in front of all reporters out there. By this he bought protection for himself, she cannot openly attack him nor can she stop the investigation, since people will doubt more. Not to forget he sort of accused her for Yoon's murder too, I mean sowed seeds of doubts in the minds of all reporters out there. 

But yes, this will make Kim Ho Ran look for some other methods to hurt them. Like claiming legal rights for Woo Joo. Now even I don't know the rules out there for it, but she can claim it I guess. 

16 minutes ago, Jillia said:

So but WHO is Kim Hyan Gi? Probably this man right? But what got he to do with everything? I mean we can be grateful he painted that portrait called "Fake Face"... what a fitting piece Kim Ho Ran purchased there.

I'll have to check again, but Ji Min suspects Kim Hyang Gi to be Kim Ho Ran herself. He believes that she is buying her own paintings drawn under other's names in order to launder her money. 

That new man could be HR's husband?  She tried to snuff him but he escaped. Why after all the years? Amnesia :D. Maybe she is trying to hide the fact that she manipulated him to get his wealth. Now we have amnesia, just two more, running at the airport and time leap.

I like episode 10. 

30 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Sleepy Owl

Oh this makes a lot sense... so maybe I fell into a trap there with the man Ji Min encountered outside D.O.Cosmetics. I wonder... if he got something to do with the murder of Kim Ho Ran's son then? I'm speculating here right now.

But yes, it definitely makes sense that Kim Ho Ran would buy her own art. She is that kind of woman, huh? I wonder if in the end she can't be convicted of any of the deaths but at least the money laundering? That would be a bittersweet win but still a win. Even though from what I can tell Ji Min won't stop at anything to find out the truth. And neither does Eun Soo.

And you're definitely correct he brought some sort of protection onto himself by openly confronting Kim Ho Ran. And she was somewhat stupid letting him. And now she is choosing the confrontation by showing up as Woo Joo's "grandmother"....

That guy could actually be the one who killed her son, if she is behind it. Before I was just suspecting for it because she could be behind it, but now I am having serious thoughts about it. She really could be the one who got her son killed. But let us see. 

I think she will be convicted for at least Eun's dad's murder and money laundering. Add Yoon's murder on it too, I think this is where she did a mistake, by killing him in sort of public place. 

If she does play the grandmother card, I really want to see Se Mi's expressions of being used and betrayed by her. Because I don't think she will let anyone meet Woo Joo from her past family, if she does manage to claim rights over her, which I really don't think will happen.

14 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

But yes, this will make Kim Ho Ran look for some other methods to hurt them. Like claiming legal rights for Woo Joo. Now even I don't know the rules out there for it, but she can claim it I guess. 

I don't think so. Eun Soo gave her daughter to her in the prison. It's easy to prove. So how can she now claim anything? Whatever happen with the girl later is Kim Ho Ran responsibility. 

1 minute ago, airgelaal said:

I don't think saw. Eun Soo gave her daughter to her in the prison. It's easy to prove. So how can she now claim anything? Whatever happen with the girl later is Kim Ho Ran responsibility. 

She can come up hundreds of reasons for losing the child. Plus the orphanage not having any records of Woo Joo could prove to be beneficial for her. Because then she could claim she searched all orphanages and could not really find her. Why she didn't contact police? She is chairwoman of biggest cosmetic company out there, didn't want things to be in spotlight. She could even blame Secretary Yoon for it, given the fact he is dead. 

Plus she is very influential person, has money and can has got connections everywhere. 

9 minutes ago, Jillia said:

But from Kim Ho Ran's reaction, she didn't order her secretary to kill Yoon? She was shaken but caught herself and then asked for the documents. So I think the young secretary will be her downfall because he probably decided on his own to get rid off Yoon.

Yup, it didn't look to be part of the plan. I think she had asked him to retrieve the evidences, but then I think both of them ended up fighting on the roof and Yoon got pushed down. You are right that this could be her downfall. Or better say start of her downfall.  

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

She can come up hundreds of reasons for losing the child. Plus the orphanage not having any records of Woo Joo could prove to be beneficial for her. Because then she could claim she searched all orphanages and could not really find her. Why she didn't contact police? She is chairwoman of biggest cosmetic company out there, didn't want things to be in spotlight. She could even blame Secretary Yoon for it, given the fact he is dead. 

Plus she is very influential person, has money and can has got connections everywhere. 

Of course she can. But it's very suspicious. She is already in the spotlight thanks to Ji Min. 

And about that call to police. If it was manipulated it means, that the murderer was planned.

Just now, airgelaal said:

Of course she can. But it's very suspicious. She is already in the spotlight thanks to Ji Min. 

And about that call to police. If it was manipulated it means, that the murderer was planned.

That's why I said earlier, that she may claim it, but it won't go her way. 

13 hours ago, Jillia said:

Meanwhile Se Mi remains as terrible as ever. But can I say I liked the standoff between her and Yeon Joon. He was roasting her and he told Mr. Smith not to give her anything. He is determined to protect Eun Soo and I'm loving it!

bwahahaha... was laughing when David dryly asked why semi is interfering in her ex relationship when they are both divorced. it was great to see a u-turn from him and basically accept his role as a friend and support. he is honest enough to tell ji min that he would have loved to take eun soo to US but it is ji min she wants.

he also did something interesting where he told semi that the woman he was interested in is married, happy and has a family and so he has decided to be friends. while he is trying to deflect the attention of semi and protect eun soo, it also felt like he was recognizing the place of ji min in eun soo's life. ji min isn't just a man to eun soo, she sees him as the father of her child. because semi was so disconnected from woo joo and indifferent to her role as a mother, in some ways, that spot was empty and now has been claimed by eun soo. she now owns it but also acknowledges ji min as woo joo's dad and parent. so these two are tied together as a couple and as a family. this isn't just a romantic dalliance but a relationship between 2 parents that will always exist and david acknowledges that in a way by calling it as a family.

13 hours ago, Jillia said:

And to have Ji Min back in journalist mode still gives me chills. He is so wasted in the culture department. Just to see him get his teeth into the murder case from 10 years ago but also about what happened with Secretary Yoon. I just LOVE that! I mean he could be like "Nope! I don't care anymore." but for him the truth comes first.

what I enjoyed was how impartial he is and he is not letting his hurt feelings colour the situation. he is connecting the dots and asking why he was sent abroad, why didn't he get the letters. even if eun soo lied to him and he has trouble believing her, he is able to put aside those doubts and view the case objectively and ask those questions.

13 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

It was pretty smart of him to confront her openly, because as I said above too, it will put him into spotlight as the one who is investigating her son's murder. Plus he very subtly pointed out Kim Ho Ran was trying to stop him from investigation, in front of all reporters out there.

yea, it was indeed both smart and really gutsy. now, if she tries to stop him in any way, there will be chatter. we can also see how attached she is to her image. don't see her playing the grandmother card publicly because it will tarnish her reputation. imagine sponsoring all these charities for single women but she didn't raise the grandchild and instead gave her up for adoption and pretended she never existed -- yea, super bad PR. however, she is going to use that grandmother card to rattle ji min and eun soo but it will instead have the effect of them coming together to join forces to stop this woman...

that painting was not just ugly but super creepy. can you imagine hanging that in your hall and coming to get a glass of water and getting totally spooked by this ghost on the wall? who would buy that? obviously chairwoman who is evil herself and wants a mirror image. :sweatingbullets:

Archived