Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
larus

[Current Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말 - Fri & Sat @ 22:50 KST

Recommended Posts

I like that they already show a different side to Se-Mi beyond evil cheating child-neglecting witch. While I admit that her behavior was a dealbreaker, I can see how she was unhappy in this marriage. Ji-Min is a nice guy who is almost too nice and supportive and always saying everything is okay, so Se-Mi never got to talk her about her feelings with him in an honest way. I don't think Ji-Min knows about the awful things his mom said to her.

 

And I could be wrong, but it seems like Se-Mi was fooling around with another man and that was the reason she wasn't paying attention to the smoke/fire. I assume she left something burning on the stove or something? Good thing they had a fire alarm. Terrible for the kid who has asthma.

 

Let's also not forget that evil Chairwoman not only ordered her own baby granddaughter drowned, she also had Eun-Soo's father murdered as well.

  • Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I like that they already show a different side to Se-Mi beyond evil cheating child-neglecting witch. While I admit that her behavior was a dealbreaker, I can see how she was unhappy in this marriage. Ji-Min is a nice guy who is almost too nice and supportive and always saying everything is okay, so Se-Mi never got to talk her about her feelings with him in an honest way. I don't think Ji-Min knows about the awful things his mom said to her.

 

And I could be wrong, but it seems like Se-Mi was fooling around with another man and that was the reason she wasn't paying attention to the smoke/fire. I assume she left something burning on the stove or something? Good thing they had a fire alarm. Terrible for the kid who has asthma.

 

Let's also not forget that evil Chairwoman not only ordered her own baby granddaughter drowned, she also had Eun-Soo's father murdered as well.

 

Well I do understand that Se Mi wanted her own child, and it is not like they never tried it. Plus Ji Min's mom didn't say that awful things, we seen kdrama moms saying worse things. To me it seemed like the way parents scold their child for hurting themselves. Yes, she did say some hurtful things, but seeing from her perspective, she seemed hurt about Se Mi's miscarriage and worried about her health (both mental and physical) and also worried about Ji Min. From the looks of it, it didn't seem like it was her first miscarriage, not even second one, it looked like it was third or even fourth. It is not like Ji Min's mom forced her to have Ji Min's child like typical kdrama moms do. They seemed supportive of her condition and accepted Woo Joo like their own grandchild. So again, they said awful things, but it was from their concern for her and not their hate. 

 

And well, I think we all accept that cheating can never be justified so I don't think we can connect her cheating with this. The way it looks, she is even close to Ji Min's sister to have contacted her without hesitating and asking her to set up a meeting with Ji Min or help them return back in relationship. Se Mi fooling around while the fire/smoke incident happened could be a possibility. But Ji Min surely thinks that way. He seemed to have ignored her cheating for the sake of Woo Joo I guess (will have to see more to understand), but the moment he saw that incident happening due to her negligence, he went for the divorce. 

 

Let us see what other stunts Chairwoman will pull off and go away with it.  

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Well I do understand that Se Mi wanted her own child, and it is not like they never tried it. Plus Ji Min's mom didn't say that awful things, we seen kdrama moms saying worse things. To me it seemed like the way parents scold their child for hurting themselves. Yes, she did say some hurtful things, but seeing from her perspective, she seemed hurt about Se Mi's miscarriage and worried about her health (both mental and physical) and also worried about Ji Min. From the looks of it, it didn't seem like it was her first miscarriage, not even second one, it looked like it was third or even fourth. It is not like Ji Min's mom forced her to have Ji Min's child like typical kdrama moms do. They seemed supportive of her condition and accepted Woo Joo like their own grandchild. So again, they said awful things, but it was from their concern for her and not their hate. 

yes, that my was impression as well -- that it was a series of miscarriages. based on what the mom-in-law said, it seemed like it was se mi's choice to continue with the IVF but ji min and his family disagreed and felt it was time to move on. hence, the anger that she was making them go through the pain unnecessarily when they were not asking for a biological child. a few months ago, came across this author who had written about his infertility issues and in the news segment, he shared that one of the hardest conversations that can also rip apart a marriage are decisions on how many rounds you go for, how long you keep seeking the IVF and at what point do you stop. he also shared it can be difficult for family members to watch as well and they have their own ideas which can cause conflict. so thats a little bit of what has happened here -- am going to give a tentative pass to the mom-in-law; it seemed that she was frustrated that se mi was not allowing them to move on and making them also go through the process of hope and then pain because she wanted to keep trying... as humans, we all say mean things at moments when frustrated. so lets see...

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm in.

And my first question is: who called the police? Eun Soo passed out, her husband was dead, so who?

And the next question is: why Se Mi agreed to divorce Ji Min? That one mistake (as she still thinks so) wasn't enough reason to agree.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

Ok, I'm in.

And my first question is: who called the police? Eun Soo passed out, her husband was dead, so who?

And the next question is: why Se Mi agreed to divorce Ji Min? That one mistake (as she still thinks so) wasn't enough reason to agree.  

There are two possibilities for your first question.

 

First and most possible one is the murderer himself. He murdered a guy, cleaned up the scene, set it up in a way for Eun Soo to be the culprit, so obviously after this much hard work, he had to call police to see the fruit of his hard work, right? 

 

Second in my opinion could be the neighbors. This for me is less likely to have happened as I said, the scene was cleaned up and set up in such a way that Eun Soo would be the culprit, it would require time. The neighbors would call police when Eun Soo was being beaten up by the husband, after hearing Eun Soo's screams for help. And well, police would pretty much reach fast, giving the actual murderer very less time for his action. So even though there are two options, I'll go for the first one.

 

Coming to you second question. It was "One" mistake as claimed by Se Mi, but it was a grave one. Could have led to Woo Joo's death, plus I am sure she could not have come up with a proper explanation for leaving the house like that with Woo Joo alone. So I am sure Ji Min would have made an issue out of it (given the fact that he knew she cheated on him and also would have thought why she was out then). He must have already wanted to divorce her, but did not go for it for Woo Joo I guess, but when he saw her negligence towards Woo Joo, he decided to go for it.

 

Why Se Mi agreed is something we'll be seeing, but I am sure Ji Min would have become mean towards her, would give her cold shoulder all the time, which eventually led her to agree to divorce him. You see, after not wanting to divorce, there comes a moment when one realizes that even if they don't divorce their partner, their partner will not see towards them with love, so it becomes useless living together unhappily and forcefully, making things awkward for both of them. So she must have finally agreed to divorce.

 

The fact that Woo Joo has an idea that Ji Min does not like discussing about Se Mi also proves that she must have witnessed them fight at least once and also saw her father suffer after she left them.

 

But I think it was Se Mi's decision to leave the country or leave Woo Joo and not meet her again. Seeing Ji Min's talk with her and seeing him tell her that "it was she who abandoned Woo Joo", I think Ji Min was open to them meeting even after divorce, but she decided to leave and not meet her again at that time.

 

 

7 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yes, that my was impression as well -- that it was a series of miscarriages. based on what the mom-in-law said, it seemed like it was se mi's choice to continue with the IVF but ji min and his family disagreed and felt it was time to move on. hence, the anger that she was making them go through the pain unnecessarily when they were not asking for a biological child. a few months ago, came across this author who had written about his infertility issues and in the news segment, he shared that one of the hardest conversations that can also rip apart a marriage are decisions on how many rounds you go for, how long you keep seeking the IVF and at what point do you stop. he also shared it can be difficult for family members to watch as well and they have their own ideas which can cause conflict. so thats a little bit of what has happened here -- am going to give a tentative pass to the mom-in-law; it seemed that she was frustrated that se mi was not allowing them to move on and making them also go through the process of hope and then pain because she wanted to keep trying... as humans, we all say mean things at moments when frustrated. so lets see...

 

 

 

Yeah, so for now even I give a pass to Ji Min's mom. Like I said she did say mean things, but her scolding was similar to moms scolding their kid for continuously hurting themselves. Since it was not her first or second miscarriage, it would be hurtful for everyone, to be happy when she would be pregnant and that happiness shuttering because of the miscarriage, plus also making them worry about Se Mi's health. So for now, I think she was a good mother in law for her.

 

Plus, after re-watching that scene, I realized that she remembered that memory while remembering nice and happy memories with Ji Min. After remembering all that we see her leaving and the next place she appears is in front of Ji Min's sister. So, to her that memory could be of those who really cared and loved her. She did get scolded, but they came and made sure she was well fed saying miscarriage is as tough as child birth and other things. So maybe she remembered how caring her in-laws were and made her want more to be back with all of them and Ji Min. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

There are two possibilities for your first question.

 

First and most possible one is the murderer himself. He murdered a guy, cleaned up the scene, set it up in a way for Eun Soo to be the culprit, so obviously after this much hard work, he had to call police to see the fruit of his hard work, right? 

 

Second in my opinion could be the neighbors. This for me is less likely to have happened as I said, the scene was cleaned up and set up in such a way that Eun Soo would be the culprit, it would require time. The neighbors would call police when Eun Soo was being beaten up by the husband, after hearing Eun Soo's screams for help. And well, police would pretty much reach fast, giving the actual murderer very less time for his action. So even though there are two options, I'll go for the first one.

 

 

 But I thought, that police should investigate who called them.  

 

Quote

Why Se Mi agreed is something we'll be seeing, but I am sure Ji Min would have become mean towards her, would give her cold shoulder all the time, which eventually led her to agree to divorce him. You see, after not wanting to divorce, there comes a moment when one realizes that even if they don't divorce their partner, their partner will not see towards them with love, so it becomes useless living together unhappily and forcefully, making things awkward for both of them. So she must have finally agreed to divorce.

 

If it's true, then why she decided to return to him now? To become miserable once again? And I don't think, that Ji Min forced her to so it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

 But I thought, that police should investigate who called them.  

 

 

If it's true, then why she decided to return to him now? To become miserable once again? And I don't think, that Ji Min forced her to so it.

 

Well you see, had the police investigated things properly, Eun Soo would not be the one ending up in prison. Obviously chairwoman influenced their investigation and wanted Eun Soo to be prison asap. She must have used money on everyone from police to judiciary to the prison. So I don't see why they had to investigate who called them, when their whole investigation was just for namesake. 

 

 

She returning back to Korea, is firstly due to the golfer returning. She is his agent, so obviously she had to accompany him to Korea. Secondly, as she herself said, it was "One" single mistake that she did. She must have thought that Ji Min's anger would have subsided now or even finished and that he would have moved on from that event. Ji Min loved her and she knows it, so she must have had some hope of him still having feelings for her, after staying away for so long. As I said before, she doesn't know Ji Min knows about her cheating on him. So obviously she must have thought she could be forgiven and be back with Ji Min now.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haranguing someone about her life choices when she's sitting in her hospital bed after having suffered one of multiple miscarriages is wrong, every which way you look at it.

 

There no doubt that the MIL is coming from place of concern, and that what she's saying may probably be correct - although reproductive choices belong to the couple, not their mothers - what the MIL did is just awful and thoughtless.

 

Also, I never said that justifies any "mistake" Se Mi made in this marriage. What Se Mi did is wrong - cheating on her husband, neglecting their child. But that doesn't change the fact that what her MIL did to her is wrong, too. I think it's a good choice for the show to show that side of her story, so that she doesn't become just a cartoon villain.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it definitely bothered me as well how Ji Min's mother and sister would talk about their hardships when Se Mi just lost her child. It's insensitive and wrong! And made me look at Ji Min's family in a different way. They thought telling Se Mi she didn't need to have her own child when she and Ji Min do have Woo Joo but it's simply a wrong way to look at Se Mi's situation. Just like it's wrong to say "look how much Ji Min's worries about you". Well, I mean he must've tried as well to have a child. I'm sure Se Mi didn't hide the fact from him. She said from the beginning she wanted to have a child with his features. It's something very important to her. And I can see her becoming unhappy and maybe she got depressed after losing the child and that's why she started cheating on Ji Min and neglecting Woo Joo.

 

I'm also not excusing what she did but I also agree with @chickfactor the way her mother in law acted was anything but supportive and what Se Mi needed in that moment. I think it would've been enough to say "I'm here for you", "I never went through what you went through now but let's mourn together" or "It's okay to mourn and to cry over the child you lost." Literally ANYTHING would've been better than how they reacted in that situation.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lmangla, I think given the difference opinions upon how Se Mi's in laws reacted to her nth miscarriage, we can put this up in one of the questions for polls to see how others have perceived it.

 

 

Now to me, Se Mi's on laws are actually an interesting family, which are rare to be found in Kdramas. Why? They readily accepted their son's adopted daughter, are so proud of her and love her so much that they have named their restaurant under her name and also put up all her certificates in their restaurant. Were okay with their daughter in law being unable to give birth to an offspring of their son. 

 

Now @Jillia, @chickfactor, yes reproductive choices only belong to the couple, but not in an Asian household. I mean we have tons of drama where the in laws have been after the couple for having child soon after their marriage. But let us see, have we seen in laws getting angry on their daughter in law getting hurt by another miscarriage or have we seen them grinding the daughter in law for being unable to give birth. Now if that was the second case, we would see Ji Min's mother and sister saying something like "How many times have you gone into miscarriage? Why can't you just take care and give birth one time properly without causing problems. Look how much we and our son are eager to see grandchild....", but what we heard them say is something totally opposite. 

 

Now I am not justifying all the mean things they said, but in my opinion someone had to give Se Mi reality check that her actions were affecting everyone and sometimes reality checks are given harshly. Would Se Mi's parents have reacted differently, i don't think so. They would react the same way, because they care for their daughter and sometimes you got to be harsh.

 

Just imagine breaking your leg while playing soccer, once everyone will be worried and supportive, second time some would, but some would be angry for not being careful, third time, maybe they'll try to stop you from playing football, but fourth time onward, there is a high chance of getting smacked for doing so (I mean at least my parents would).

 

Of course what example I gave is much different, but I am trying to say that there is usually threshold as to where those worried about you will silently take care of you, once crossed, they'll take care of you but also be angry. So Se Mi's in laws were supportive to be fair, telling her to eat and taking care of herself as miscarriage is similar to childbirth, but their nagging shows how much they care for her. And as I said, this is her "nth" miscarriage, we don't know what number n is. It could 3rd which I doubt, I think it was 4th or something higher in number. 

 

And @Lmangla had mentioned, it is not always difficult for the woman or the main couple, it is hurtful and difficult for the families too. Now again, they said harsh things, but maybe it really was needed. Maybe they really were supportive on her past miscarriages and said those supportive things like "I am there for you" , "You are not alone, we are with you and we'll mourn with you" etc. But those things have limits and again as I said before too, you sometimes got to be harsh to stop someone from doing something. 

 

I am sure we'll be getting to see more of "in law's" behavior towards Se Mi to see how they really were to her. But she still being in contact with Ji Min's sister, shows that they were somewhat on good terms, given the fact that she even asked her help in getting them back together by speaking to Ji Min. 

 

Again, if we were to say either of them was wrong, then we are doing injustice to both I think. Se Mi surely wanted a child of her own and went for it, which is very much understandable. But her in laws reacting that way and being harsh to her was also because they worried about her and would have wanted to give her reality check harshly because she didn't listen to them while they were polite. They also were frustrated and worried about her. Were they both selfish? Yes, Se Mi in continuously trying get pregnant, resulting in miscarriage, affecting not only her health (both physical and mental), but also affecting everyone around her (which she must have not given a thought about). And her in laws who were worried about her, but were also frustrated and saturated by politely stopping her and reacting that way. 

 

Still, it is actually good to see people with opinions, helps to look at one situation with different perspectives :approves:.

  • Like 6
  • Wiggle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jillia said:

I'm also not excusing what she did but I also agree with @chickfactor the way her mother in law acted was anything but supportive and what Se Mi needed in that moment. I think it would've been enough to say "I'm here for you", "I never went through what you went through now but let's mourn together" or "It's okay to mourn and to cry over the child you lost." Literally ANYTHING would've been better than how they reacted in that situation.

yea, it would have been nice if they had offered support but as humans, we can't always be nice and supportive. sometimes we get mad and say things. am waiting for a few more episodes to see how I feel about the mom-in-law. caregivers go through a lot of stress and sometimes it can come out the wrong way. have heard and experienced lots of stories where folks in the hospital are acting loopy. I remembering reading this article where the writer was saying that for long-term diseases, there is so much focus on the patient but none on the caregivers. however, if you look at the stress levels and kind of anxiety caregivers go through, it is a lot but there is no one asking them how they are doing. that is some of the feel that mom-in-law was expressing. instead of enjoying her birthday, she has to take off work from her restaurant and is in the hospital. how much expenses are they going through because of se mi's choices? who is paying for it? these are all stressors. so yea, it is not nice at all but like @Sleepy Owl, I feel it is a bit understandable given the impressions from the few episodes we have seen. who knows, a few episodes from now, I might want to whack something on the woman's head. kekekek...

 

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Lmangla, I think given the difference opinions upon how Se Mi's in laws reacted to her nth miscarriage, we can put this up in one of the questions for polls to see how others have perceived it.

kekeke...we have already discussed it so much! it is one of those questions for which there is no real one answer. it all depends on different views and experiences. :) am wanting to put a who murdered the hubby poll but waiting for a few more clues so we have plenty of options to choose. maybe after this week's episodes...

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought, that in-laws actions could be judged as non-supportive. Not only Se Mi was in pain.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference between the family losing the child due miscarriage and the mother who had the baby growing in her womb losing it. I'm not saying that Ji Min's family wasn't in pain but I personally thought Se Mi's pain was much bigger. Just think about women who lose their child very late in the pregnancy. Who have to give birth to their dead baby... It's a different type of pain than what the family suffers who didn't have the baby in their womb.

 

I also want to add I'm not thinking that Ji Min's family is the worst family out there. They're obviously warm and a good family. But the scene in the hospital gave me anxiety on Se Mi's part. I felt for her. I think all she needed was a hug and not someone telling her how someone else is worried and how it's someone else's birthday.

 

Maybe it was a rather insensitive way of saying losing the baby on MIL's birthday is painful but still... it didn't read supportive to ME.

  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I binge watched the 4 episodes. This is hands down the most interesting drama on air along with 'The Flower of Evil'. And the FL is soooooo pretty! She really suits the role, looks really sweet and innocent.

 

Also, there are just too many good looking people in the show.

 

She is heading for a heartbreak, because she would eventually fall in love with Mr Kang but he would be livid, and rightly so for being taken for a ride. 

 

Be strong, my heart! When does this air? The episodes for this week are already aired?

 

Anyway, good job to the team for doing an incredible job. They leave us on tenterhooks after each episode. The wait for the next episode is killing me already!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the thread, @confusedheart326! :D I hope you enjoy the discussions here and will share your thoughts and opinions as well.

:waves:

 

This drama airs on Friday and Saturday each week at 22:50 KST. So next episode will be on tomorrow.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the MIL, I was happy to see a family in a k-drama not demand a biological grandchild. That's rare. But for everything else I say wrong time, wrong delivery. I could understand the MIL being upset and wanting to say something but not when Se Mi was in the hospital recovering and not in that tone. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, especially @Jillia.

 

I have become so hooked to this drama and I am glad I found this thread. I am really enjoying the discussions, Everyone here is so perceptive. I really missed the clues but thanks to the discussions, I was able to fill the gaps.

 

I am really glad to know that we have a new episode tonight.  After the preview of Episode 5, it was very difficult to while my time waiting to see the FL carry out the act of seduction.

 

Also, I just realized while reading an article that ML is the same evil guy in Mask! Oh how I hated him in that drama!

He was super evil there. And he looks super vulnerable here. :confounded:

 

Also, I am totally getting ahead of myself, but all that baby talk, got me dreaming of a time in future where the FL and ML can have a baby of their own. Although he is a very devoted father, it kind of breaks my heart to see him so devastated after each miscarriage of his ex-wife. It's not necessary but it would be a nice touch to the happily ever after...

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeon Jung Hoon Offers A Helping Hand To Lee Yoo Ri In “Lie After Lie”

55bac0fa9c0948bab559ff687b898fd5.jpeg?s=

 

Sep 18, 2020
by S. P
 

Channel A’s “Lie After Lie” has revealed new stills of Yeon Jung Hoon and Lee Yoo Ri ahead of the upcoming episode.

“Lie After Lie” is a new suspense-romance drama starring Lee Yoo Ri as Ji Eun Soo, a woman who puts her life on the line with a dangerous lie in order to be reunited with her biological daughter. After marrying into a chaebol family, Ji Eun Soo finds herself branded a husband-killer in the blink of an eye — and during her imprisonment for her husband’s murder, she loses custody of her daughter.

Spoilers

Previously, Ji Eun Soo found out that the biological daughter from whom she had been separated 10 years ago was actually Kang Woo Joo (Go Na Hee), who had been adopted by Kang Ji Min (Yeon Jung Hoon). Although she had decided at first to leave for the sake of her daughter’s future, she changed her mind, choosing instead to get closer to Kang Ji Min in order to become her daughter’s new mother. Having decided on living a dangerous lie, Ji Eun Soo began to appear more frequently in front of Kang Ji Min.

In the new stills, Kang Ji Min appears in a stained apron and gloves, a significant change from his usual professional demeanor as a reporter, as he paints the rooftop. He smiles warmly at Lee Yoo Ri, who attempts to help him by picking up a paint roller and tray. Curiosity is mounting over how their relationship could have progressed so quickly in such a short amount of time.

 

morehttps://www.soompi.com/article/1426194wpp/yeon-jung-hoon-offers-a-helping-hand-to-lee-yoo-ri-in-lie-after-lie

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant wait for the Cute moment together for today

 

atleast we deserve happy scene before all the angst later on!!!

 

( and me need a happy scene because yesterday drama hurt my feelings haha )

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...