[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Second, why is that young secretary so loyal? Is he a secret son to the chairwoman?

And I’ll read full comments from everyone when I finish, but I suspect you all think like I do that Secretary Yoon is getting into the tiger’s den so he can spy for ES. That means being truthful upfront. Right?

Update, one more question re the preview: Jimin is going to learn the full story next week, isn’t he?

Ooh that's an interesting guess, there definitely seems to be more backstory for the young secretary. He looks like that kind of subtly ambitious/power-hungry character, especially at the company meeting and the animosity with Secretary Yoon.

Yes, I do think it's possible that Ji Min would learn the story next week, right on cue at the halfway mark of the drama. But a part of me also thinks that Ji Min and Eun Soo will get a bit closer first, just so the "betrayal"/reveal is more tense. Maybe by episode 9-10?

21 hours ago, Jillia said:

@tulip06 @memory magnet

I would actually hope that Ji Min isn't clueless until late in the drama. He was sold as a good journalist and he might not suspect anything to happen in his private life but I don't want him to be clueless about what's going on. Not sure if he will find out next week but could very well be the case. :D

It would be actually more mature if he finds out and confronts Eun Soo about it. Or him starting to investigate again, remembering the letter he put away 10 years ago when he got his new position. So it's gonna be interesting.

Yeah I actually feel like he'll know about it in the next 2-3 episodes. Would be too much if he comes to know about it in the final 4 episodes.

I actually wonder why didn't he try to contact Eun Soo again, I know he was appointed as a correspondent, thanks to the chairwoman, but we see him in episode 2 or 3, wonder about Eun Soo and think she should be free by now. Given the high profile murder it was and the media attention Eun Soo already got, and the fact that he was a competent reporter, yet didn't recognize her despite the names being same, sort of disappointed me, but it still could happen. But I don't see Eun Soo being able to hide everything from him, at least her being an ex-convict and also the case she was involved in. 

As for him asking Eun Soo, I think he'll start with investigating things and then confront her after he has done enough investigation. Once he comes to know about things, everything will start making sense to him, especially their co-incidental meetings which he actually found strange.

What will be interesting is that will Eun Soo come clean to him when he confronts her and tell him about Woo Joo being her child, or will she still try to hide that fact.   

23 hours ago, Jillia said:

@tulip06 @memory magnet

I would actually hope that Ji Min isn't clueless until late in the drama. He was sold as a good journalist and he might not suspect anything to happen in his private life but I don't want him to be clueless about what's going on. Not sure if he will find out next week but could very well be the case. :D

It would be actually more mature if he finds out and confronts Eun Soo about it. Or him starting to investigate again, remembering the letter he put away 10 years ago when he got his new position. So it's gonna be interesting.

We can't forget, that  Woo Joo is in danger just because she is Chairwoman granddaughter. She tried to kill her when she was a baby and she could try to do it now. So it's better for Ji Min to find out the truth faster, so they both could protect the girl.

11 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

We can't forget, that  Woo Joo is in danger just because she is Chairwoman granddaughter. She tried to kill her when she was a baby and she could try to do it now. So it's better for Ji Min to find out the truth faster, so they both could protect the girl.

I don't really worry for Woo Joo for now. It is very much difficult for the chairwoman to hurt her now, given the fact that she now has a family of her own. Not only a loving father, but loving grandparents and an Aunt. Plus it will be very risky for chairwoman to do anything to Woo Joo. Killing an infant with her mother in jail and no guardian silently was very much easier now things have changed. 

So I see her trying to divert her plans to Eun Soo, and Ji Min. Now I don't if that is possible, but if she comes to know about Woo Joo being her grand-daughter, we might see her try to get her custody through legal method while hurting both Eun Soo and Ji Min. 

But for in my opinion, Woo Joo is very safe.

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Yes, given that Chairwoman Kim will try to figure out why Eun Soo cares so much about Woo Joo. Which will for sure happen and I agree it would be good for Ji Min to know. Right now... he isn't aware that Eun Soo put him and his daughter in danger for own way of revenge. (but also because she wants to be with her daughter)

@Sleepy Owl

I was wondering about it as well. Especially since Ji Min seemed more engaged and interested than his boss back then. He was interested in finding out the truth since he knew something was off. It was a bit disappointing that he gave up so easily. But it also makes me wonder if he got swamped by work on purpose after getting his new position, so he wasn't really able to investigate further.

HOWEVER, why wouldn't he remember Eun Soo's name? At least he should be like "huh?", right? :)

Yeah, as I wrote above too, even after Eun Soo got free, he had an idea and thought that she would have been free by now. Had he not wondered it, I would have bought it that he forgot after so many years, but it was not the case. As you said, at least her name had to light some bulb on his head. 

As for him giving up, as far as I know, a news correspondent (as he was chose for that position), is usually a person who is sent to remote locations for on site news. Like we saw him doing in the Cherry Blossoms street, or we saw him return early from his travel and see Se Mi cheating on him. So that must have really made him very much busy, and he must have forgotten about it.

But again, the way he was so hell-bent in finding the truth and so involved in investigating the case, it is very hard to believe that he forgot her name, maybe he could forget her face, but name is something else. Given the fact that he even was suspicious of her in the start and when that happens, mind usually goes towards the suspects or ex-convicts in the minds of Police or even reporters. 

Anyway, since it went that way, we have no choice but to accept it.

10 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I don't really worry for Woo Joo for now. It is very much difficult for the chairwoman to hurt her now, given the fact that she now has a family of her own. Not only a loving father, but loving grandparents and an Aunt. Plus it will be very risky for chairwoman to do anything to Woo Joo. Killing an infant with her mother in jail and no guardian silently was very much easier now things have changed. 

So I see her trying to divert her plans to Eun Soo, and Ji Min. Now I don't if that is possible, but if she comes to know about Woo Joo being her grand-daughter, we might see her try to get her custody through legal method while hurting both Eun Soo and Ji Min. 

But for in my opinion, Woo Joo is very safe.

It's not safe for Woo Joo also. And that could hurt her a lot.

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

HOWEVER, why wouldn't he remember Eun Soo's name? At least he should be like "huh?", right? :)

This is the kind of little thing that niggles viewers until the end. It will pop up now and again. The writer or person in charge must have changed the character of JM after the early episodes. But watching the last few episodes, not much of JM at work was shown, except the cherry blossom festival. Does a newspaper give a festival assignment to one of their top investigative staff? I don't think so, unless it's a ho hum kind of paper, but he has a good car and his apartment looks roomy and well furnished, so looks like he is well paid. Let's just say he forgot her after 10 years and so many murder cases under his belt, he is also important enough to be able to choose his assignments. :rolleyes:

I am beginning to think the evil MIL will try to wrest WJ from her father. Got her. Then becomes  very fond of her and there will be a kumbaya ending. This is a 100 plus episodes' show, there will be white washing at the end. Although I hope the MIL had caused her son's death by mistake. She had wanted ES dead and paid some killer. But ES had 9 lives. :)

16 hours ago, Jillia said:

Yes, given that Chairwoman Kim will try to figure out why Eun Soo cares so much about Woo Joo. Which will for sure happen and I agree it would be good for Ji Min to know. Right now... he isn't aware that Eun Soo put him and his daughter in danger for own way of revenge. (but also because she wants to be with her daughter)

@Sleepy Owl

I was wondering about it as well. Especially since Ji Min seemed more engaged and interested than his boss back then. He was interested in finding out the truth since he knew something was off. It was a bit disappointing that he gave up so easily. But it also makes me wonder if he got swamped by work on purpose after getting his new position, so he wasn't really able to investigate further.

Very good point.

Also, I think that when she was arrested (and Chairwoman lunged at her) there were cameras there? Apparently this was a big news story and you would think there would be some media photos of her somewhere. And he's a journalist who was trying to interview her. So... yes, very strange that he doesn't know what she looks like and her name doesn't ring a bell for him.

@Sleepy Owl @Jillia @maribella @chickfactor ~ it seems realistic that ji min would not remember eun soo in a way. so it has been 10 years and he would have covered lots of stories. on average, a reporter will cover at least 2-3 stories a week. reporters tend to remember the stories they covered and worked for weeks on end and got professional recognition for them. unless eun soo's story was a career changing story for him, it would hardly be a story that would stick out in his file. because he got stuck on another assignment, he didn't even cover her court hearing. he likely remembers vague details but not necessarily her face -- he never met her directly or saw her from a distance. depending on the broadcast laws of the country, in some places, the media is not allowed to release photos of the accused till they are proven guilty. (not sure if that applies to korea) she always hung her head and so any spot photo released might be a side profile with her hair mostly covering her face...  and if ji eun soo is a common enough name, then again, it wouldn't necessarily stick out....

as for eun soo having money, for some reason thought secretary yoon might be helping her a little by getting her settled in. the man feels guilty and so can see him giving her a little money to find a place.. plus she would have the money she worked from her job in jail...

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@Sleepy Owl @Jillia @maribella @chickfactor ~ it seems realistic that ji min would not remember eun soo in a way. so it has been 10 years and he would have covered lots of stories. on average, a reporter will cover at least 2-3 stories a week. reporters tend to remember the stories they covered and worked for weeks on end and got professional recognition for them. unless eun soo's story was a career changing story for him, it would hardly be a story that would stick out in his file. because he got stuck on another assignment, he didn't even cover her court hearing. he likely remembers vague details but not necessarily her face -- he never met her directly or saw her from a distance. depending on the broadcast laws of the country, in some places, the media is not allowed to release photos of the accused till they are proven guilty. (not sure if that applies to korea) she always hung her head and so any spot photo released might be a side profile with her hair mostly covering her face...  and if ji eun soo is a common enough name, then again, it wouldn't necessarily stick out....

Just recalling the show, and I remember the following:

- Ji-Min tried several times to visit Eun-Soo in jail (he was never successful) - he was eventually sent away to some foreign correspondent assignment

- Ji-Min tried to interview Eun-Soo's father who got hit by a car immediately before they met

- Eun-Soo wrote Ji-Min some letters in jail which were returned to her unopened (he was probably abroad at the time)

- The reason Eun-Soo and Ji-Min never met is because Chairwoman worked very hard to make sure they don't meet. She bribed the prison guard (warden?) to make sure they don't meet, and even had Ji-Min sent abroad.

Yes, it was 10 years ago, but now that I think about it, it's pretty ridiculous that Ji-Min, Eun-Soo, AND Chairwoman all do not remember each other.

But dwelling on details does kind of ruin this show. It works just straight on *emotion* which is working for me. :lol:

11 hours ago, chickfactor said:

But dwelling on details does kind of ruin this show. It works just straight on *emotion* which is working for me. :lol:

True, it's the writer's imagining and brainwork. If his/her flowchart on the whiteboard ( if one exists) got mixed up or the maid cleans it, we get little contradictions.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:28 AM, maribella said:

This is the kind of little thing that niggles viewers until the end. It will pop up now and again. The writer or person in charge must have changed the character of JM after the early episodes. But watching the last few episodes, not much of JM at work was shown, except the cherry blossom festival. Does a newspaper give a festival assignment to one of their top investigative staff? I don't think so, unless it's a ho hum kind of paper, but he has a good car and his apartment looks roomy and well furnished, so looks like he is well paid. Let's just say he forgot her after 10 years and so many murder cases under his belt, he is also important enough to be able to choose his assignments. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure Ji Min isn't an investigative reporter anymore. He's in the Culture and Arts part now, I think, which is why he was at the cherry blossom festival and covering the Chairwoman's 'charitable' efforts. There was a conversation in one of the episodes where his boss wanted him to go back to the news division, but he said no.

I would have liked if they had shown Ji Min feel a niggle when he heard her name, but for all I know, Ji Eun Soo is like the name John Smith in S. Korea. Ji Min was so busy in the flashbacks with Se Mi. I think we're supposed to see him as putting his past behind him after the divorce to focus on Woo Joo. 

2 hours ago, qynn said:

Pretty sure Ji Min isn't an investigative reporter anymore. He's in the Culture and Arts part now, I think, which is why he was at the cherry blossom festival and covering the Chairwoman's 'charitable' efforts. There was a conversation in one of the episodes where his boss wanted him to go back to the news division, but he said no.

I would have liked if they had shown Ji Min feel a niggle when he heard her name, but for all I know, Ji Eun Soo is like the name John Smith in S. Korea. Ji Min was so busy in the flashbacks with Se Mi. I think we're supposed to see him as putting his past behind him after the divorce to focus on Woo Joo. 

Yes. They mentioned that Ji-Min changed departments because he wanted more time at home to take care of Woo Joo.

The last name "Ji" is not that common. If you look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Korean_surnames_by_prevalence

"Ji" is 7th from the bottom of the list.

"Kim" is the most common, 1st on the list.

My thoughts after 7:

What's really tragic is that Ji-Min and Eun-Soo are really falling for each other, and suit each other well. Under different circumstances, they could have been a happy couple. But of course, all those lies, after lies, after lies... haha.

So Secretary Yoon deliberately caused Eun-Soo's father to get killed? And he was also ordered to kill Eun-Soo's baby? Did he also kill Eun-Soo's husband and frame her, too? Wow. Dude.

He just needs to set his phone on "record," tuck it into his shirt, and go have a conversation with the Chairwoman, then hand that phone over to Ji-Min and game over. HAHA, the show will be over! :lol:

What is it about Koreans and first loves..!? It's a pretty prevalent trope in majority of their dramas. Being loyal to that one person their entire lives is insane! This is true in A Piece of Your Mind and the currently aired When I Was Most Beautiful.  

He's like my little brother - ouch that's got to hurt LoL. Right now David's character seem to be pointless ha-ha? Like he's just there to create tension. LoL at Ji Min when he smiled at Eun Soo when she told him not to misunderstand between her and David ahahah.

Things are blossoming for Ji Min and Eun Soo, though I'm not sure if it's genuine for Eun Soo right now.. or is she forcing herself to fall for Ji Min to be closer to Woo Joo? And oy Se Mi ah, why can't you keep your mouth shut!? 

It's clear the evil chairwoman is using Se Mi to come between Ji Min and Eun Soo. I am afraid for Woo Joo to be honest. Idk why but I'm getting Snow White vibes from the plot LoL? Not surprising since most K-Dramas are loosely  based variations of Cinderella anyway. 

The roller skating thing seemed a lot of fun.

Just an assumption.... 

May be chairwoman isn’t the real mother of ex-husband. In conversation with su mi she mentioned that it’s not easy to rise others child. Though it’s normal to say, she was trying to compare her with su mi's situation gives that vibe. Otherwise,  why she was trying to kill her "precious" jerk son's  last blood,his daughter that time!

Ji min is really a gentleman. He just rearranged note books pick a boo picture... Sometimes i just wish what if they met earlier and get married instead of those troubled spouses. They seems a great couple. Difference between adult romance with teen is,  they are very cautious and never expressed much. Still this couple complete the family picture with woo jo. 

Untill this episode, i thought  ji min never discuss about affairs his wife had.  But su mi's conversation  hint otherwise. A great shock that she still claimed to love him yet doesn’t think cheating make a grave hole to his heart?! How childish! You cheat, you neglect your child safety and call it mistake every single time! You didn’t even realised your fault and want other to forgive and move on with you? How can she became an agent with that little commonsense! And what agent always share personal life with chairwoman?! 

Woo joo's second phase danger credit goes to her both mother.                                           

Archived