[Drama 2020] Lies of Lies/ Lie After Lie, 거짓말의 거짓말

larus

Watched it finally. I tried to stall for as long as I could. You want to cherish good things and don't want them to end. Anyway, enough of being a sentimental fool. 

Let's begin with the little girl who plays WS. She's adorable. Makes my heart warm. Hats off to her for such incredible acting, and perfect expressions.

Now for the FL, she is no femme fatal! That much is clear. She has a plan but she isn't sure how to execute it. She is extremely unsure of her moves. P.S. She is so pretty! At the cherry blossom festival, she was as pretty as a picture! I am going to look up and watch her old dramas. I am that enamored with her. 

Who would have known that the innocent and sweet looking ES was capable of such stalking! She was overdoing the coincidental encounters. :lol: Any man would have been suspicious but I guess she has already made an impression on  Mr Kang  for him to be suspicious of her. He is fond of her that much we can conclude but he is cautious too. He is fond of Ms. Jin but in no hurry to get involved in any romantic entanglements. It would be fun to watch how ES brings him to his knees.

I like Mr. Kang. I wish ES had confessed the truth. It makes me feel conflicted to see her taking advantage of his vulnerabilities, his trust and perhaps, his fondness for her. She will surely regret it because for her the endgame is being with her daughter, she will leave a lot of hearts devastated, her included. What she set to protect, she would hurt  it the most. The people who trusted her and welcomed her in their home, their lives. Don't tread that path ES. It is bsest with heartbreak. Please do come clean. Mr Kang seems like a good man. He would surely help you.And over the course of time, I am sure he would fall in love with you. Let him see the real you. Ah, now this title makes sense. Lies after Lies... too many lies everywhere. ES sometimes a victim of them and sadly sometimes the perpetrator herself.

Mr. Kang is fighting his attraction. Any sensible man with a growing child is wary of romantic entanglements. I think the reason why he left so suddenly was perhaps because he too felt the moment to be too unnatural. Like he could sense it was not a gradual progress of a moment but rather an awkward moment with ES being too informal. I know she is desperate but the moment lacked finesse. That's why we say she is no femme fatal.

Could anyone tell me how Mr. Kang came to know she was cheating? I mean she left her daughter alone at home to meet her 'lover'. How did Mr. Kang chance upon them?

I am afraid that Chairwoman would add fuel to her anger and resentment and turn her into a younger version of herself, who only knows how to grab things. Killing two birds with a stone, anyone? I have this very bad feeling about the murder. Could it be the Chairwoman herself? Seeing how ruthless she could be... I mean besides her  no one knew he had gone to reconcile with his wife. Just thinking aloud... it is obviously too early to speculate... but her ruthless streak makes me wonder what she is capable of!

Eagerly waiting for tonight's episode! :heart:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, confusedheart326 said:

Could anyone tell me how Mr. Kang came to know she was cheating? I mean she left her daughter alone at home to meet her 'lover'. How did Mr. Kang chance upon them?

Hi! I think in the earlier episode, mr. Kang returned home earlier to surprise his then wife. He was texting her about his delay and enter the home to find out her with another man. He stopped and step forward to confirm it as his wife but never directly confronted her about it. He never talks about it.  Thus his ex only says her "only" mistake is leaving the sick child!  On the contrary, it was mr.kang's  last stage to accept excuses. 

And after watching yesterday's episode, it is very likely to believe her ex wife cheat on him in their own home! Coz,  he(cheater) was coming home or threatened to come over phone when the ex wife wanted to end it.                                 

I think the golfer, David, did come and find Eun Soo because he still has feelings for her... And now Kim Ho Ran starts to investigate more about Woo Joo... Please I don't want her to hurt Woo Joo. Enough for givng the child trauma in her first 10 years of life...

Preview for ep 7. 

Rough translations

ES: I have a trauma

ES's former husband: Eun Soo

ES: I was abused by my previous husband. No matter how hard I tried to erase it, it keeps appearing

JM: It has left scars in our heart and it would never become easy whenever we remember it

SM: I want to meet with you like this. I beg you, please give me one more chance. Do you have another woman?

WJ: I won't go with aunt. I want to go with you, teacher (ES)

ES: It was here? The place for the art competition?

HR: What is your name?

WJ: My name is Kang Woo Joo

HR: Kang Woo Joo. Find out when she got adopted

David: Ji Eun Soo? It's me Yeon Joon

ES: You are Yeon Joon?

David: I think you must have one more question left. About the woman that I want to protect

JM: I think it's best for you to not speak about it

David: Why should I watch over you?

JM: Because I think you don't know the way to protect that woman

ES: Please wait a little more Woo Joo. Soon we will live together

@Jillia

I am eagerly waiting for your episode recap. :bawling: They were such treat to my eyes. I can't concentrate on anything till I know what happened in today's episode. You are right, a reporter of his caliber forgot the name of the person whose case he had been pursuing so ardently. :lol:

@jareen Thank you for clarifying. So she ended up getting intimate with her lover instead of breaking up with him? *amazing

They neighbours said that the child was all alone when the accident happened.

Thank you @alleram95 I was dying to know what had happened/ would happen.

Not going to lie but am creeped out by Eun Soo's approach which is very stalkerish? Anyway she'd do anything for Woo Joo but still. Only now there's another person who could blow her cover. Jin Gook's mom! Her son is so bold LoL. Already making his feelings known to Woo Joo. 

The David guy seem obsessed with Eun Soo. Well quite a bunch of people have obsessive issues LoL. Aside from Se Mi, there's the evil MIL. I would be on high alert if I were Ji Min to be honest. Bumping into someone more than once...er.      

Finally, Eunsoo has people who support her, stand by her side, both knowing and unknowingly.

The ex secretary is doing his best to protect Eunsoo but made a mistake by not reporting Woojoo's existence as Jimin's daughter and chairwoman with her cunning mind soon, I think will discover true identity of Woojoo. 

The ex cellmate doesn't forget her loyal friend, she's even willing to bring Eunsoo into school meeting even though she doesn't know Woojoo's real identity.

I hope those people will be a lot of help to Eunsoo in future when she has to deal with the whole mess.

I was cringing too, watching how Eunsoo moving fast to get close to Jimin. So fast I had to wonder why Jimin with his reporter's intuition let those coincidences just slide easily. He realizes that there were too many of them and even mentioned it to Eunsoo but I guess he's already atttacted to Eunsoo to ponder even further.

However, think about it. A woman, falsely accused of murdering her abusive husband. Pregnant and delivered the baby in prison. Her dad died by car accident. She didn't have anyone and practically lived for her baby. She gave her up to her MIL, only to be told 10 yrs later that the baby was murdered.

When she found out the baby is alive, adopted and motherless, of course she become desperate. This is her chance to be reunited with her daughter again. She just has that one thought in her mind. Her acts become unrealistically aggressive but this is a desperate mother in action. The hell with finesse.

I'm more curious how Eunsoo develops her feelings toward Jimin. When she will realize that she wants and needs not only Woojoo but also Jimin. 

How she will handle the situation when Jimin finds out the whole truth.

How Jimin handle the situation when he finds out the truth.

Writernim, you've been serving us a delicious makjang, please take care of the whole story well.

Oh, I forgot one thing. 

Someone has to change make up style.of Semi. She looks positively scary with those eye shadows.

She looks like a character comes out from Tim Burton's film.

@Jayne Nasution Yes, I'm so glad/relieved that the former cellmate is on Eun Soo's side, I feel like she'll be important too later on especially with her husband working at DO Cosmetics.

--

I'm looking forward to next week already hahaha Of course the golfer guy's just there to rile up Ji Min based on the preview. Eun Soo, though, is a bit harder to read; there are times where her approach feels really forced, but there are also clear moments of sincerity, but it doesn't seem like she's developing feelings for Ji Min yet (unlike the other way around haha), her priority is still definitely Eun Soo.

Se Mi and the chairwoman, though—ooh I just feel so uneasy whenever they end up meeting. Also, the chairwoman is getting all these pieces of the puzzle already; how soon would she figure things out? before Ji Min and Eun Soo really get close?

Am I the only one who likes the glamed up version of Semi? I think the bold make up really enhances her features. But then everyone in S.Korean dramas are soooo good looking! Men are exceptionally handsome, oh and those washboard abs always work on the female audience. Yes, I am kind of shallow. :P

And the women are gorgeous! Exquisitely beautiful!  

And in this drama even the supporting cast is too good looking! Good looking people everywhere! Too distracting! :w00t:

I think I will spend the week thinking about the hug (David hugging ES) that is surely going to ruffle Mr. Cool as Cucumber Mr Kang's feathers a little. :wub:

Haven't watched the episode yet. Saving it for a little later.  

WooHoo another trope - love triangle LoL. Now Ji Min will have motivation to win over Eun Soo as David is making it clear he wants her as well. May the best guy win, although y'all know it's going to be Ji Min regardless.

Woo Joo and Eun Soo may be in trouble as her identity is exposed. The MIL will stop at nothing to make both mom and child suffer urgh! Se Mi just can't keep her mouth shut LoL she told the chairwoman more than enough information. 

At least Eun Soo has Mr. Yoon and Min Ji as her allies. Eun Soo has a pretty snazzy wardrobe for an elementary arts teacher ahahah.

ep 6 was good; liked the confrontation between chairwoman and eun soo. chairwoman is seriously vindictive and diabolical that she would use the remains of her father to get eun soo to come meet her. liked how eun soo used the description of the painting, "childish and pathetic" as a veiled insult. it was rather fun to watch eun soo rise up to the occasion. in a way eun soo is right -- living well and being happy can also be a form of revenge against someone like chairwoman who is hankering for eun soo to be forever miserable. eun soo is past the point of tears and is not begging for her life like chairwoman wants.

eun soo was rather smooth in how she wrangled a movie date out of ji min. :)  just when you think her moves are all calculated, you find that her choice of movie is something very personal -- the last movie she watched with her father. why not pick a random movie? it seems like she is almost hankering for a real connection with ji min and the poor fella is going to have a tough time separating what was real and what wasn't...

@Jillia ~ am curious about the strategy of secretary yoon; he knows chairwoman and her ways. so he must have his own reasoning for what and why he is doing. my guess about the letter he placed with the urn was a kind of protection letter that would reveal some details about chairwoman in case something happens to him...

@memory magnet @Latte_Anyday ~ david seems so unprofessional; there are feelings and there are professional commitments that one needs to stick to. he also seems kind of childish. it feels like he has transferred the sibling/neighbour affection into some grand romantic love. perhaps, he will eventually figure out that the kindness eun soo showed to him was more a family kind of love... rather than a triangle, it feels like a clingy second lead on the horizon! but based on the preview, ji min is right -- david has zero idea on how to protect a woman... if ji min's protective instincts are rising, then eun soo will become the woman instead of just a woman...

@Jayne Nasution ~ it was a relief to see her friend min ji is on eun soo's side. was thinking that it is good that eun soo gave her real name to ji min otherwise, ji min would be wondering why min ji is calling her eun soo. it is interesting the friend has also not revealed her criminal past to her husband. she too has a lot to lose if her past come out...

EDIT: soompi is acting a bit strange. hope this post looks cleaner now!

@Jillia ~ in the short encounter, secretary yoon almost seemed to glare at the young secretary. so it feels like he doesn't like him or trust him. secretary yoon most likely knew that the info he gave would be verified. right now ji min and eun soo are not in an actual relationship. so why does secretary yoon choose to frame it in a romantic light? he seems to know chairwoman well from working with her for years and so he is playing his cards differently.. it should be interesting to watch. he would know what happened that night but am holding out that he wasn't responsible. just like with her father's death, it was an accident but he feels responsible. he was sincere in his wish to protect eun soo and his promise. he came at night when no one would see him. it was a promise that no one would know....

@Jillia ~ yea, was surprised that secretary yoon chose to frame it as romantic but it feels like he is setting the stage for eun soo as he is aware of her intentions. what I found striking was that he immediately also ji min's profession as a reporter. so rather than the child, secretary yoon might veer chairwoman's focus on to ji min and his role as a reporter. it is too early for chairwoman to figure out who woo joo really is and so am going to guess that secretary yoon would have already taken care of the orphanage as well...

thought about posting here after watching 2 episodes, came here BOOM, too many comments here :joy:. Maybe I should also start posting per episodes next week onward. 

Anyway, so far so good for Eun Su and Ji Min. She does not master the art of seduction, but for now her plan seems to be working. Nice thing that Ji Min found it a bit strange meeting her co-incidentally so many times. Once is fine, twice could happen, thrice brings up suspicion, so I don't think Eun Soo will stage any meetings like this for a while. Liked her confrontation with the chairwoman. 

As for Se Mi, she is fooling herself along with others by saying it was just a single mistake. We knew that Ji Min must have had doubts about her reason of going out, but I at least thought that something more important had some up for which she had to leave suddenly. But leaving suddenly just because her lover was threatening to meet her while she asking him to break up, seemed to me irresponsible of her to leave Woo Joo like with the stove on too. I don't think she feels sorry toward Ji Min for cheating on him or at least I don't feel her feeling sorry for that. I think she will be controlled by chairwoman for her plans, to chairwoman she has shown herself an easy woman to be controlled by very easily sharing her personal life with her. I don't see her getting on Ji Min's good side, let alone getting back with him.  

David, frankly has been unprofessional. He needs to be mature if he really cares for his career. We do see him finally meeting Eun Soo and might see a possible second love triangle there, but him leaving just like that causing an event to be cancelled did not seem right. He needs to learn that he has to separate his personal life from professional one. 

Chairwoman is already having doubts about Woo Joo. Will need to see how she'll react after knowing Woo Joo's true identity. She can't just attack her easily now. Given the fact that her father is a competent reporter. Will be interesting to see how she'll plan to hurt all of them. 

Secretary Yoon gave all those info to chairwoman in order to gain her trust. He knew that she would cross check it, but maybe could not calculate her knowing about Woo Joo. Or maybe wanted to give Eun Soo some more time to get nearer to Ji Min, before chairwoman would join the dots and start attacking them. Same goes with the reason with him telling chairwoman about Eun Soo dating that guy, so her attention would divert that way and not to Woo Joo, which would give Eun Soo some more time to get nearer to Ji Min. Right now he is completely on Eun Soo's side and I don't see him changing sides. The young secretary does seem to be suspicious to me. Chances are there is bad blood between them and they are not on good terms. But chairwoman does trust him a lot, so it will be interesting how secretary Yoon will be winning her trust given the fact she knows he removed an important info from all the info he gave to her. 

About the murder of chairwoman's son. For now seeing the last scene of episode 6, it does seem like chairwoman didn't order the murder (or still we could be wrong). But for now I am not counting her as the person involved, will have to see next episodes to confirm. Secretary Yoon also does not seem to know more about it, chances are he is the guy who called police after coming to the apartment. Good thing is they are hinting towards the murder too, so hopefully we'll get closure for the murder too and see who really did it. 

Loving the scenes involving Eun Soo and Woo Joo. I was a bit scared about Eun Soo's friend's monologue at the prison after she came to know Eun Soo getting free. I thought she had some grudge against her, but really nice to see her being on Eun Soo's side and happy to meet her. We can see her helping Eun Soo, but don't know about her husband, he could cause trouble. 

Looking forward the next episode, so far I am loving the flow with which the drama is going forward. 

PS: My most favorite scene was Ji Min's mother returning after meeting a shaman. I was equally interested to know what the shaman told her as her husband and daughter were :joy:.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Loving the scenes involving Eun Soo and Woo Joo. I was a bit scared about Eun Soo's friend's monologue at the prison after she came to know Eun Soo getting free. I thought she had some grudge against her, but really nice to see her being on Eun Soo's side and happy to meet her. We can see her helping Eun Soo, but don't know about her husband, he could cause trouble. 

yea, the monologue seemed like a grudge the way it was delivered but in this episode, it seems she was just disappointed that eun soo didn't wait for her the way she had waited. min ji seems sincere and really gets eun soo. so it will be good for eun soo to have someone she can confide in as well as cry...

8 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I can say I'm so excited! I enjoyed every episode so far and that's great. I also think ratings are well-deserved.

me too! after a long time, am actually checking out bits of the raw even before the subs come out. I love the little details in the drama that feel soft and almost poetry like. something that happens in other dramas is that small side characters are often forgotten but here we see glimpses of the man her father was through her memories. like when she is delighted that woo joo is teased by her family for liking peaches and how her father used to tease her as peach baby when she was pregnant... or that woo joo is still attached to the blanket that was gifted by eun soo's dad.

@Lmangla

David acts like a freaking diva doesn't he LoL! Well, if anything with David now vying for Eun Soo this might be what Ji Min needs to consider Eun Soo as well. I mean she pretty much won him over with how close she is to Woo Joo (for obvious reasons of course) If Ji Min was still having doubts before, with David in the mix Ji Min gets the cue to step up. I'm curious over what's in the envelope Mr. Yoon left at the columbarium.. it's probably some form of leverage should things get messy later on.     

Our girl, Eun Soo needs to tone it down a little. The way she is bulldozing into Ji Min's life, is not very subtle. I understand her need to be with her daughter and the urgency but the way she keeps stalking Ji Min is really cringe worthy. I am surprised he doesn't think too much of these coincidental encounters and takes them in his stride. Our ES is stalking the father. She is stalking the child. This is getting a little too much IMO. I empathize with her and everything but she is taking it too far.   At least Jin Min is sensible enough and not head over heels in love with her. That would have been too fast and too unrealistic. He likes her company. But, I don't think his heart goes thumping  kung kung kung.... (I learnt this from She was Pretty OST.):D

Back to serious business, the Chairwoman is one tough cookie to crack. I have a feeling she has put two and two together already. She is shrewd and ES extreme interest in the family has definitely piqued her interest. Not to mention the fact that the child was adopted 10 years go... you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it all out.  

I have new found respect for the old secretary. He still has some human decency left. But he is playing a very dangerous game and risking his life. The Chairwoman is no fool and she would come down hard on him when he serves her no purpose.

What's with Semi and David? Both of them seem to be too obsessed, like our ES. We can understand ES's obsession but I utterly fail to understand Semi and David's obsession. I mean why would a professional like Semi unburden her private life like that to a complete stranger? We are very selective of what and with whom we share our personal lives at our workplace.

As for David, nothing but his washboard abs had impressed me. I can't relate to this obsession of his. We need more backstory screen time to understand him. He is being extremely pesky atm. :crazy:

Also, I wanted to know if single male parents and their children were looked down upon. Divorcees, I know, are not looked upon favourably. But I was under the impression that in South Korea fathers get the preference in custody battles and the children are registered in their family book. 

The ostracization poor Woo Joo faced was heartbreaking. It came as a surprise. Her father seemed to be doing well in his life. He was an excellent father. So the other parents warning her cellmate against her son mingling with Woo Soo because her parents were divorced came as a surprise to me.  

I just started Episode 6 and already so many questions!

Where is Eunsu getting her money? She complained before she had no money even for a down payment, and now she has a rooftop studio, fancy wardrobe and art materials?  

All that costs a lot, at least $15,000 USD, minimum $10,000, but I think in SK, as an ex con, she would have to pay a lot upfront.

Second, why is that young secretary so loyal? Is he a secret son to the chairwoman?

And I’ll read full comments from everyone when I finish, but I suspect you all think like I do that Secretary Yoon is getting into the tiger’s den so he can spy for ES. That means being truthful upfront. Right?

Update, one more question re the preview: Jimin is going to learn the full story next week, isn’t he?

6 hours ago, tulip06 said:

I just started Episode 6 and already so many questions!

Where is Eunsu getting her money? She complained before she had no money even for a down payment, and now she has a rooftop studio, fancy wardrobe and art materials?  

All that costs a lot, at least $15,000 USD, minimum $10,000, but I think in SK, as an ex con, she would have to pay a lot upfront.

I assume that she has access to her father's estate.

He was an ordinary guy, not super-rich, but he probably had at least that much to his name.

Also, based on what we saw in Ep. 6 - she earned some money in prison, probably with sewing or something.

She gave the money that she had saved up during prison to her friend when she was released. It's possible that she earned money after that to use for herself.

Archived