[Drama 2020] Old School Intern/Kkondae Intern, 꼰대인턴

nonski

This has similar vibes as Chief Kim to me. I liked Chief Kim, but I had zero interest in whatever corporate corruption they were fighting and just enjoyed this wacky characters.

But in this show, I'm actually interested in the actual work politics.

Anyway, it was going to be hard to redeem Man Shik (he was so mean to Ka Yeol Chan!) but there was probably a reason he had to do that - the executives told him to abuse him and get rid of him, probably.

I guess we'll find out. Anyway, I really like this show. It's just... silly, sitcommy fun. No romance, just ridiculous fun.

Not a fan of Deputy Oh. He is so annoying.

Not a fan of Kim Seung Jin. He is too smarmy.

Love LEE TAE RI. She is light and sunshine. (Also, love this actress from Melo is My Nature. That show is really good!)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2020 at 7:58 AM, cenching said:

@nonski

I saw lots of comments regarding the Bollywood ads in blogs and SocMed and majority were more “offended” by the very outdated stereotypes portrayal of India than the devotional song. 

Regarding the drama, so far I am enjoying it. I won’t called it a comedy though, I am completely clueless of WHY it was markets as office comedy....:skull: But I do laugh my 4rse off on The Goblin "cameo".....:joy: Writing, acting and directing are on point so far....#SideEyedForest

@cenching thank you for this.  We were worried at first but like you said, there were more offensive matters and some Hindi find it funny.

The Goblin cameo was jjang!  It was so funny but the events that lead to it  wasn't.    

LOLing at the #SideEyedForest.  Yes, I esp love Kim Eung Soo but then almost all of the characters are on point and no one seems wasted.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, sadthe1st said:

i think in the last scene when Man Shik nosebled and wobbled, then Yeol Chan piggybacked him.. Man Shik said the oxtail soup old man did not die right? this could have helped resolved Yeol Chan’s years of guilt and possibly, the trauma.

also, i wonder what did the CEO whisper into Yeol Chan’s ear.. :rolleyes:

salute to the actor Kim Eung Soo.. i really din expect the iconic joseon corrupted minister can actually be so funny!! :lol:

this kdrama does remind us all that we need to be constantly upgrading ourselves in the workforce to be up-to-date with the fastpaced technology.. ransomware.. office apps.. even the fanciful coffees and teas..

oh, remember the new tea drink which Man Shik had to shake 15secs? thats tigersugar (from taiwan) and its really good :D seems like this bubbletea brand is investing lots in recent kdramas.. i saw it over at “A Girl’s World” too!!

Reveal hidden contents

@sadthe1st *high five*  Kim Eung soo got us!  Yes it is true, one must be updated at work, read, research and know the trends so you won't be left behind and most importantly, you don't give problems to your office.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, fluffyloaf said:

Hahaha I feel like I will slowly fall for Man Shik's character as he softens up. Like seeing this rigid and arrogant man suddenly humbling himself and initiate going to the set, putting up a ramen store, humbly serving people and make an apology. These scenes do something to my human heart, man. Oh boy, it's going to be so awkward explaining this new K-Drama crush of mine.

Welcome to the thraed @fluffyloaf glad to have you here.

I hope that beyond tackling office politics and work, Manshik and Yeolchan would find some common ground in the future and become friends.

43 minutes ago, nonski said:

Yes, I esp love Kim Eung Soo but then almost all of the characters are on point and no one seems wasted.

Me too, he is a scene stealer....The perks of being a veteran actor....:glasses: I know Haejin is a good actor who can play so many different roles but I feel that he seems to be more himself in Forest (Well, despite all of our complain about THAT drama). I watched almost all of his drama, KSH role was the one he is the most relax....Or maybe because it's a romcom....

I can't wait for more bromance with KES and PD-Nim also promises that all of the character will have their own part...I wish the office mate who stole KES's idea will be "punish"...He is annoying....

901b93f00a0440d491c709cdd244bea5.jpeg?s=

Park Hae Jin Looks Troubled By An Unexpected Storm In “Kkondae Intern”

Jun 2, 2020
by S. Nam

Trouble may be brewing for Park Hae Jin in the upcoming episode of MBC’s “Kkondae Intern”!

“Kkondae Intern” is an office comedy about a man who finally gets sweet revenge on a former boss who once made his life miserable. Park Hae Jin stars as Ga Yeol Chan, who becomes the head of the marketing team at Jun Su Foods after moving up the corporate ladder at lightning speed. Kim Eung Soo stars as Lee Man Shik, Ga Yeol Chan’s boss at his former company but now his subordinate at Jun Su Foods.

Spoiler

Last week, Ga Yeol Chan was shocked to discover from Lee Man Shik that the pork soup restaurant owner was still alive. Furthermore, the preview for the upcoming episode showcased the marketing team being isolated with Ahn Sang Jong (Son Jong Hak) saying, “For the time being, take your hands off the work. That’s the president’s orders.”

Park-Hae-Jin-3.jpg

In the midst of the growing concerns, the newly released stills portray Ga Yeol Chan shrouded in a dark atmosphere. Ga Yeol Chan has a serious expression, seeming to have encountered a troubling situation. Viewers are curious to find out what could have made Ga Yeol Chan look so distraught unlike his usual gentle and professional image of a perfect boss.

Park-Hae-Jin-5.jpg

From before the drama’s premiere, “Kkondae Intern” was ranked as the most buzzworthy upcoming drama, and the show ranked No. 3 among buzzworthy dramas after its premiere. On May 27, “Kkondae Intern” held the lead spot in viewership ratings among Wednesday night dramas with average nationwide ratings of 4.2 and 6.4 percent.

Spoiler

Park-Hae-Jin-4.jpgPark-Hae-Jin-6.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1404128wpp/park-hae-jin-looks-troubled-by-an-unexpected-storm-in-kkondae-intern

40 minutes ago, cenching said:

Me too, he is a scene stealer....The perks of being a veteran actor....:glasses: I know Haejin is a good actor who can play so many different roles but I feel that he seems to be more himself in Forest (Well, despite all of our complain about THAT drama). I watched almost all of his drama, KSH role was the one he is the most relax....Or maybe because it's a romcom....

I can't wait for more bromance with KES and PD-Nim also promises that all of the character will have their own part...I wish the office mate who stole KES's idea will be "punish"...He is annoying....

Probably because of the romcom.  Kkondae is tagged as comedy but there's something heavy in this drama and it portrays the life and workings at the office very well, from the bullying to the difficulties one has to face as an intern and the challenges of an office work.  The comedy is well done as well.

This show continues to be super fun.

Quick recap:

Spoiler

So someone claims that a cockroach was in the Hot Chicken Ramyeon and files a complaint. They bring him boxes of ramyeon to try and appease him, and it turns out he is Lee Tae Ri's ex-bf. So he signs a document saying that he withdraws the complaint, but tells Lee Tae Ri they have to date again, or else.

So Ka Yeol Chan steps in and tells him off, rips up the withdrawal and leaves holding Lee Tae Ri's hand. (Of course, Lee Tae Ri is completely infatuated.)

But ex-BF goes to the media to complain about the cockroach just as he threatened to do and Joonsu stocks fall. Chairman orders Ka Yeol Chan to stop working. So he has to go to work, but be locked in a room all day long, and they take his bag and phone away from him all day - like jail!

His team members come to see him, and they all cry like they're visiting him in jail. It's so funny.

Man Sik saves him by finding a cockroach expert (parody of Romantic Dr. Kim) who does an autopsy :lol: on the cockroach and conclusively proves that the cockroach has duck DNA in it - so the cockroach had to come from the duck restaurant that the ex-BF lives above.

Anyway, Ka Yeol Chan is able to come back to work, but Man Sik gets fired.

The final scene is Man Sik sitting on a park bench looking at job ads, and Ka Yeol Chan shows up and leads him away holding his hand slo-mo. :lol::lol::lol: Awww.

Oh, and the man who tried to commit suicide - he's been in a coma and Man Sik has been taking care of him, but his medical bills are overdue. So Ka Yeol Chan pays it (about $15,000).

On 6/4/2020 at 7:36 AM, chickfactor said:

This show continues to be super fun.

Quick recap:

Reveal hidden contents

So someone claims that a cockroach was in the Hot Chicken Ramyeon and files a complaint. They bring him boxes of ramyeon to try and appease him, and it turns out he is Lee Tae Ri's ex-bf. So he signs a document saying that he withdraws the complaint, but tells Lee Tae Ri they have to date again, or else.

So Ka Yeol Chan steps in and tells him off, rips up the withdrawal and leaves holding Lee Tae Ri's hand. (Of course, Lee Tae Ri is completely infatuated.)

But ex-BF goes to the media to complain about the cockroach just as he threatened to do and Joonsu stocks fall. Chairman orders Ka Yeol Chan to stop working. So he has to go to work, but be locked in a room all day long, and they take his bag and phone away from him all day - like jail!

His team members come to see him, and they all cry like they're visiting him in jail. It's so funny.

Man Sik saves him by finding a cockroach expert (parody of Romantic Dr. Kim) who does an autopsy :lol: on the cockroach and conclusively proves that the cockroach has duck DNA in it - so the cockroach had to come from the duck restaurant that the ex-BF lives above.

Anyway, Ka Yeol Chan is able to come back to work, but Man Sik gets fired.

The final scene is Man Sik sitting on a park bench looking at job ads, and Ka Yeol Chan shows up and leads him away holding his hand slo-mo. :lol::lol::lol: Awww.

Oh, and the man who tried to commit suicide - he's been in a coma and Man Sik has been taking care of him, but his medical bills are overdue. So Ka Yeol Chan pays it (about $15,000).

@chickfactor  I think you don't need to hide your recap.  We would be very glad to read your post.

I usually does live recounting of the show but considering my current internet connection I did not so this is a good one from you.

Thank you.!

Preview episodes 13-14

Drama Clips

I’m all caught up! I could not believe how sensitive to criticism that Joonsu was that he spent his precious evening piecing together covers of presentations to complain about comments someone wrote in private! Those were shredded and not shared! JoonSu must have a massive ego. Me, I’d rather spend my evening playing with the cute corgi. 

And at the end of that last episode 12, clearly, they were all crazy! :joy:

It's interesting to see how Ga Yeol Chan is slowly put into difficult positions where what he does bears small resemblances to Man Shik. Of course Man Shik was a lot worse hahaha.

But it's also so cute that there is a growing affinity between the two. I think with Man Shik learning computer skills and try to upgrade himself (and seeing how important his younger staff were to him in the past and how much it hurt to get his own idea stolen) while Ga Yeol Chan deals with a bigger team with each having their own quirks and making it difficult to manage, they will come to empathise with each other in the past.

@tulip06 hahaha yes they were all crazy!  this is a funny drama but it never fails to put emphasis on the storyline about work politics the struggle and the bullying.  

@fluffyloaf Ga Yeol Chan is treading on the path of Manshik and he will come to understand MS' situation before.  In a way MS is also experiencing how it is to be in the bottom.  With their experiences, they will all grow and hopefully their affinity will grow as well making these ragtag team into one great office family in the end.

What do you think of the first half of this show @cenching @nrllee @sadthe1st @fluffyloaf @tulip06 @chickfactor @irilight @andie4u?

14 minutes ago, nonski said:

What do you think of the first half of this show @cenching 

I like it a lot, it's portrayed a realistic life in the office where majority of human population can relate. Very well written characters and plots with some slapstick humors throw in. There are some hard reality but they soften it with some humors. This drama got no plot holes the reason why I don't really talk much here.....:joy: nothing to discuss except following it religiously weekly.....

I love most how the way the characters were written. Everyone has black, white and grey sides with plenty of layers. No complete snow white or charcoal black character so far. I am glad that the romance side is keeps at minimal level. Hard to see Oppa Haejin romancing another girl after Jo Boah.....:skull: I need time to move on from Forest Couple.....:expressionless:

add.

The highlight for this week is the cockroach's paternity test.....:joy:

14 hours ago, nonski said:

What do you think of the first half of this show @cenching @nrllee @fluffyloaf @tulip06 @chickfactor @irilight @andie4u?

Hahaha thanks for initiating conversation on this drama! It deserves more attention!

I think it's a breakdown on labels we put on people. It's so easy for us to use labels to assume the character of a person. It's so easy for us to get caught up with our own perspective and emotions that sometimes we end up playing victim in our own lives and paint someone else as a bad person.

I like how realistic and neutral the storyline is going by showing us that anybody can be a "bad person" or "bad colleague" specifically in the office setting. Having been in the position of an intern, I think the show does a great portrayal on how sometimes being an intern, we might not understand why some things work in a certain way and why do our seniors and bosses behave a certain way. I think this drama helps us to see both from the perspective of interns/juniors as well as seniors/managers.

It's also a great conversation about how the young workforce benefits greatly over the older workforce because of the way we can master technology, softwares and how we are more sensitive and knowledgeable in certain areas. But it also highlights how older workforce may have the advantage of experience combined with intuition which we see had helped Man Shik to effortlessly come up with a great recipe as well as earned their China contract. Kkondae culture might be bad, but we also see how Ga Yeol Chan's contemporary work culture with a lot more liberty given to the team can also create its own set of problems with his team taking advantage of his kindness and empathy, and disrespectful to a certain degree.

Ultimately I think it's a great way of reminding us that even though we may not appreciate each others working methods and attitudes, we are not always right and we cannot achieve something purely on our own. Humility, willingness to understand each other are some great values I think the show reminds us about.

21 hours ago, cenching said:

I like it a lot, it's portrayed a realistic life in the office where majority of human population can relate. Very well written characters and plots with some slapstick humors throw in. There are some hard reality but they soften it with some humors. This drama got no plot holes the reason why I don't really talk much here.....:joy: nothing to discuss except following it religiously weekly....

Actually this is what really draws me in the drama... how realistic the portrayal of the office work environment is.  I work in an office setting and it always makes me oooh and aaah when the scenes that were shown were what I experienced or what I saw others experienced as well.  

Several times I had to do a rain check if I did the same to my staff. Thankfully I was very minimally kkondae. lols, if there is such.  

I love most how the way the characters were written. Everyone has black, white and grey sides with plenty of layers. No complete snow white or charcoal black character so far.

True!  It turned out there is much more to see and watch.  This drama is so on-point.  Characters are very interesting and were fleshed out carefully.

I am glad that the romance side is keeps at minimal level. Hard to see Oppa Haejin romancing another girl after Jo Boah.....:skull: I need time to move on from Forest Couple.....:expressionless:

I am quite glad as well.  It would be a bit too early for another pairing for Haejin. I dunno kinda awkward I think.

The highlight for this week is the cockroach's paternity test.....:joy:

Hahaha! Crazy!

This show is full of PPL... it might be good for Haejin tho since it means advertisements are investing on his time slot which means it got some good number of audience.

1.  The noodles/ramen which they used in this drama will actually be out in the market this June.  Will post the story on it later.

2.  Well, Tom N Tom's will be releasing an exclusive flavor for Kkondae aptly name as Kkondae Latte.

Spoiler

3.  The Kkondae Intern Dosirak (Lunchbox)

4.  Rits Healer Mask

6 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

Hahaha thanks for initiating conversation on this drama! It deserves more attention!

You're welcome.  I just had a poor internet connection lately so I wasn't able to update much and start up some convo to run in this thread.  Glad also that you are here in the Kkondae thread.

6 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

Ultimately I think it's a great way of reminding us that even though we may not appreciate each others working methods and attitudes, we are not always right and we cannot achieve something purely on our own. Humility, willingness to understand each other are some great values I think the show reminds us about.

Love your post.  We need such values to be able to work cohesively since every member of the team is as unique as the other member.  It is hard to manage people because of this.  By understanding the workers you work with, it allows for an open minded acceptance of how people are makes up for a better workplace.  

At the end of the day, it's not just about your kkondae boss but every single one in the work team to do the team work to succeed.

1 hour ago, nonski said:

I am quite glad as well.  It would be a bit too early for another pairing for Haejin. I dunno kinda awkward I think.

Yeah...awkward is the word that I was looking for. Imagine, how he was turning the earth up side down chasing after Jo Boah and romancing her sexily and steamily (you know what I meant) a while ago and suddenly bam!! we see him does similar thing to Han Jieun or Park AhIn....:skull: It will feel like watching The World of Married Kkondae instead of Kkondae Intern....:joy: Beside I don’t think straight romance is his choice of genre. I don’t remember he did any matured romance drama like Forest. 

Regarding the PPL, even though Kkondae Intern does chokes full of it but I like how they “inserted” it smoothly into the plot. No glaring or onto your face kind of PPL.

2 hours ago, cenching said:

Regarding the PPL, even though Kkondae Intern does chokes full of it but I like how they “inserted” it smoothly into the plot. No glaring or onto your face kind of PPL.

IKR!  They're kinda cute even...

I am not very particular with PPLs actually, i think it's fine to insert them in the drama but yeah like you said it was cleverly done here.

1. So the ramen's officially out... the graphics of GYC and MS are both so cool!

Here are two more PPL integrated in the drama...

5. Few Hydrogen Water (saw a few of these at the table of Mr. Oh)

6. Tiger Sugar Milk Tea

I would love it if Tiger Sugar would release a flavor as per GYC which is quite complicated IMO hahaha

2 hours ago, cenching said:

eah...awkward is the word that I was looking for. Imagine, how he was turning the earth up side down chasing after Jo Boah and romancing her sexily and steamily (you know what I meant) a while ago and suddenly bam!! we see him does similar thing to Han Jieun or Park AhIn....:skull: It will feel like watching The World of Married Kkondae instead of Kkondae Intern....:joy: Beside I don’t think straight romance is his choice of genre. I don’t remember he did any matured romance drama like Forest. 

Hahaha LOLing at the WOM KKondae!

But yeah really if there is the same sort of Forest romance here in KKondae, i won't really like it.  It's like he's two timing lols, tho that's just me. :joy:

edit:

On a serious note tho... I was taken aback to know that Manshik took care of the soup store owner and spending his money on his hospitalization.  Initially i was wondering why he had not saved enough at his age and it turns out the hospital bills might have been one of the reasons.  No wonder GYC said he is human after all. This goes to say, no one can really tell about someone.

@nonski

I noticed in that Few Hydrogen Water ads, he is sporting his old hairstyle during the period of Cheese In The Trap The Movie - Four Men/Four Sons/Saja also Tasty Guys (2017-Jan 2019). Starting Forest which was filmed in 2019 he has full dark and shorter hair. I was wondering why they are using his old pic for the ads.... Haejin doesn't really age, the only thing to determines how long ago is a certain pic is thru his hair....:joy:

ManShik seems to be more than what the eyes can see. I expect we will have more revelations about him especially the reason why he treated GYC badly.

10 hours ago, cenching said:

@nonski

I noticed in that Few Hydrogen Water ads, he is sporting his old hairstyle during the period of Cheese In The Trap The Movie - Four Men/Four Sons/Saja also Tasty Guys (2017-Jan 2019). Starting Forest which was filmed in 2019 he has full dark and shorter hair. I was wondering why they are using his old pic for the ads.... Haejin doesn't really age, the only thing to determines how long ago is a certain pic is thru his hair....:joy:

ManShik seems to be more than what the eyes can see. I expect we will have more revelations about him especially the reason why he treated GYC badly.

I think this one is current, around earlier part of the drama, his haired just got styled a bit and maybe some color tho i noticed he's got this kind of pose from before so looks familiar.

Lee Manshik has got some realizations starting when he was fired and while working with Ga Yeol Chan.  I hope they can harmonize and work each other to beat those higher ups who abuse their power.  I always believe that the upper management sees a bigger than we the middle management and the staff yet that does not give them the badge to be baddies.

Park Hae Jin and Kim Eung Soo's undeniable chemistry in Kkondae Intern

"I'm sorry, Hae Jin.": Kim Eung Soo sits down and cries during a scene in Kkondae Intern

According to officials, Kim Eung Soo suddenly sat down while filming with Park Hae Jin and wiped away his tears. He empathized with Ga Yeol Chan's pitiful situation during the scene when his character, Lee Man Sik accused the crisis-stricken Yeol Chan.

Park Hae Jin and everyone at the scene was surprised to see him wiping away his tears. Kim Eung Soo said, "What did Yeol Chan do wrong? Everyone is like that. I can't do it because I feel sad. I'm sorry, Hae Jin." As a result, the atmosphere at the set became solemn, and Park Hae Jin comforted Kim Eung Soo by holding his hand tightly. After a brief conversation, the two took their emotions back to the shoot and got OK signs at once with no more NGs.

Later, in another filming scene, Park Hae Jin was immersed in the role of Kim Eung Soo. After the scene where Ga Yeol Chan got angry at Lee Man Sik, Park Hae Jin left the set, saying, "I want to be alone for a while." Returning, he showed his love for the character, saying, "My heart aches when I see Lee Man Sik." Both actors understood and accepted each other's characters. It became an episode created by a deep sense of immersion.

Full article: http://naver.me/xbtL0dVp

DScxi9B_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

On 6/8/2020 at 8:16 AM, nonski said:

What do you think of the first half of this show @cenching @nrllee @fluffyloaf @tulip06 @chickfactor @irilight @andie4u?

I think it's super funny, I love the wacky sense of humor.

Love the latest revelation that it is Kim Tae-Ri :lol: who was Yeol-Chan's savior when he was about to jump off the bridge in despair! When she washes her hair, it turns into glorious frizzy ramyeon-curls that is the inspiration for his Hot-Dak-Myeon! It's just so bonkers.

Well, this is the show that gave us a cockroach autopsy, so... yeah. Who thinks of these crazy plots?

I so love Kim Tae-Ri by the way. She's so cute when she sings.

Love that Yeol-Chan is no longer the perfect "angel" boss - now he just lets loose and gets pissed off at everyone. HAHAHA.

18 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Love the latest revelation that it is Kim Tae-Ri :lol: who was Yeol-Chan's savior when he was about to jump off the bridge in despair! When she washes her hair, it turns into glorious frizzy ramyeon-curls that is the inspiration for his Hot-Dak-Myeon! It's just so bonkers.

19 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Well, this is the show that gave us a cockroach autopsy, so... yeah. Who thinks of these crazy plots?

it's craZy and I love it! super! hahaha!

20 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Love that Yeol-Chan is no longer the perfect "angel" boss - now he just lets loose and gets pissed off at everyone. HAHAHA.

True! hahaha actually I can't relate to the previous one cuz sometimes I just have to keep it to myself so as not to hurt my staff or that I won't look like a big kkondae!

21 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I so love Kim Tae-Ri by the way. She's so cute when she sings.

Love her... really!  Do you know she made an IG account for Taeri, great gal!

Archived