[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

20 hours ago, noor1 said:

As for your take on Moo-Jin scenes: Look, I disagree, he was live on his phone with audience, in clear danger, at the scene of a bust of a major trafficking unit that police arrested around the same time. I found it unbelievable that no channel or newspaper contacted him or came to his doorstep after the arrests were made - because it was huge news and he was in the center of / part of it. I think in real life, this guy would've been a huge newsmaker the morning after the bust. His editor would call him to write and air an exclusive! Police would've definitely questioned him. ML went to the site with him as his backup and yet he doesn't inquire about him. Not a single phone call. FL doesn't ask him / let alone thank him for backing her husband because she is too busy getting hubby to escape! The sister sees him the next day all beaten and blue and she questions him about ML, as if Moo-Jin owes her something. To me it seems like ML and his sister are using Moo-Jin because they know he likes  her and wants to get the true story. All that he has done is help them out - with his life on the line 3 times now! And lest we forget, he was kidnapped in Ep.2 by the ML for nothing other than knowing his real identity!!! 

As for your take that 'he left them at the lowest point and now uses them'' - he was an 18-year old teenager FGS! Yes, he saw something in that basement and didn't say anything, and that will come back to bite him and haunt him pretty soon, but he owes nothing to these two siblings. While the brother and sister-duo owe the world and certainly the city full disclosure - which they never did. Maybe a few people (like the psychiatrist) owe the ML an apology too. But that isn't Moo-Jin's fault.

Talking about KMJ. Lets applaud Actor Seo Hyun Woo for doing such a great job. I think even though he is supporting lead, his role is also complex. I was meh at the beginning with KMJ but now my opinion of him is changing and am seeing his growth. I am even rooting for his happiness and successful career with or without Hae Soo.

Back to the drama, I dont think KMJ is a thankless hero for these reasons:

1) On DHS manipulating KMJ, KMJ called him out on that, DHS admitted it at the end of episode 10. DHS also said he only asked him to tag along, KMJ willing made the decisions to be involved.Its true.He could have said no and can still walk away at any point if he wanted.DHS has nothing to blackmail him with anymore.Even the recording he had that would ruin KMJ. He gave it back. Why is he still hanging around DHS? He wants to look good in front of Hae Soo and maybe for an exclusive too.That means KMJ had selfish interests too. I think though that this was at the beginning. Now from around ep 9 onwards, I think he is helping genuinely and starting to care about DHS as a friend.

2) The Kidnapping(ep 2): As an investigative journalist, how he ended up in the basement is on him. I expect his instincts to be sharper like a detective.He was dumb in episode 1. I remember when I was watching on viki..everyone was commenting on why he wasnt leaving the house once he knew that the person in front of him is DHS not BHS. His spidery senses should have warned him that something odd was about to happen. I mean DHS had the Frankenstein music on full blast to make it even more dramatic:D. Also that is what happens when you invade people's homes to snoop like a third rate tabloid journalist..you might meet a "psycho".

3) 18 year old is a legal adult. KMJ was still very capable of knowing right from wrong. He bullied DHS and tied him to a tree and threw rocks at him with his friends based on heresy. He has yet to apologise to DHS about that. Part of the reason they are in this present mess is because KMJ released an exclusive on DHS without verifying facts. He doesnt owe Hae Soo an apology, but he is the one lusting over her and insisting on being involved in her life. She never asked him for that.So he might as well give it if she is to allow him back.He dumped her after saying really cruel things.

4) Just my speculation, maybe KMJ didnt release an exclusive on the human trafficking case to keep attention away from DHS? It could jeopardise his career too.If they dug into how and why he got there.

5) Those village/city people dont deserve RickRoll'D. Thats their payback for all the exorcisms they did on DHS, the media harrassment to Hae Soo and rumor mongering about the Do Family. They spread the serial killer story about DHS being an accomplice when there is no proof he had committed the murders. Hae Soo already compensated the victims' families even though I dont think she needed to. I dont believe in children paying for sins of their parents. They did not benefit from the serial murders like wealth instead their lives were ruined. Both siblings worked hard on their own to earn the things they have and to live the comfortable lives they are living.

But we the viewers deserve closure though and I hope it will be worth the wait to see how it all played out. I apologise too for blabbing too much. Lets talk again after episode 12.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

2 hours ago, bombshellchick1 said:

As for me, I am one of the few who wanted 80% thriller, 20% melo but when I read and heard that melo is about 80%, I gotta admit I was a bit disappointed. But I am giving this drama a chance and so far, I'm loving Flower of Evil, I am willing to let go and enjoy it. Plus it is no secret that JG is my idol oppa so anything really about him I will watch.I wanted Do Hyun So's character to be as bad as can be, truly a full fledged villain but I've accepted that most fans are not ready for that and wanted him to turn out to be an innocent guy. So let's give this writer a chance for her story to unfold. I'm very impressed with the writer as all my guesses were wrong except for the accomplice. Let's just let all pieces of the puzzle fall into place and enjoy the 5 last episodes

same. I wanted him to be more in touch with his psychopath side like what we saw in episode one. But fans were defending him from even then and after episode two ,he was already a “victim”. 

theres nothing wrong with being villainous though but most people want to root for the good guy.

I hope I see LJK as villain one day though.He will be really good at it.

We still have five episodes left so let’s atleast hope it will be more suspense and intrigue.

maybe we’ll get to see Hyunso bad again ....

Though I doubt that, I think both actors were chosen for their emotional acting.

I think it will be a happy ending since it seems to be audience wish fulfilling.

i don’t care as long as the pieces add up.

• Like 4

@bombshellchick1 I also wished for his character to be negative so I was kind of disappointed when he turned out to be a cinnamon roll. He is cunning and manipulative but I wanted him to be evil. Still I can understand why the writers did not get there. When the first 2 episodes were aired and KMJ was locked in the basement by DHS, many fans said they won't continue watching this drama if he actually murders him. I guess that's why the makers chose the safe way. People are not yet prepared to see a murderer or evil person as the male lead. I hope in 5-6 years they will be able to make a drama about such a character. 

• Like 2

60257037f8394e4a85f24f8b015c4804.jpeg?s=

“Flower Of Evil” Shares 3 Key Points To Watch Out For

Flower of Evil” shared what to look out for in the show’s remaining episodes!

The drama is about a man named Do Hyun Soo (Lee Joon Gi), who lives under the identity of Baek Hee Sung (Kim Ji Hoon) to hide his past. His detective wife Cha Ji Won (Moon Chae Won) begins to suspect that he may be a serial killer, and the couple is ultimately forced to confront a dark truth they never wanted to face.

With only a few episodes left until the conclusion, the production team unveiled three key points to watch out for:

1. Do Hyun Soo’s transformation

One of the most important points to pay attention to is the emotional change of Do Hyun Soo. His father’s serial murder case was a traumatic incident for him, and whenever someone mentioned it, he would find it difficult to breathe. He also felt suffocating shock when Cha Ji Won tried to end things with him. Do Hyun Soo, who originally didn’t understand people’s feelings, slowly broke down his iron wall, and he eventually burst into tears when his wife still wanted to stay with him even after she found out his true identity.

The production crew revealed, “Do Hyun Soo actually experienced a shortness of breath whenever he wanted to cry. I hope you look forward to the change in Do Hyun Soo as he becomes more open to various emotions.”

lee-joon-gi-e1599572413676.jpg

2. Do Hyun Soo vs. Baek Hee Sung

The second key point to keep an eye out for is the showdown between Do Hyun Soo and Baek Hee Sung. Previously, it was revealed that Baek Hee Sung is actually Do Hyun Soo’s father’s accomplice.

The production crew commented, “The fateful confrontation between Do Hyun Soo and Baek Hee Sung will soon unfold. As the story progresses, viewers will be able to find out how the two are fatefully intertwined and how their showdown will end.”

flower-of-evil5.jpg

3. Personal choices

Last but not least, Do Hyun Soo, Cha Ji Won, Do Hae Soo (Jang Hee Jin), and Kim Moo Jin (Seo Hyun Woo) will have to make their final decisions about how they want to conclude this chapter in their life.

In episode 11, Do Hyun Soo and Cha Ji Won found out the truth, but they still chose to stay together. Do Hae Soo made arduous efforts to find her father’s accomplice in order to set her brother free, and Kim Moo Jin stayed by her side to protect her, despite her attempts to push him away.

The production team said, “Do Hyun Soo and Cha Ji Won’s love will be tested once again, and a new story will unfold. Do Hae Soo and Kim Moo Jin will also have to make their final choices. Please watch in order to find out what they will decide to do in the end.”

The next episode will air on September 9 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

Source: Soompi

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, -Love Blossom- said:

@bombshellchick1 I also wished for his character to be negative so I was kind of disappointed when he turned out to be a cinnamon roll. He is cunning and manipulative but I wanted him to be evil. Still I can understand why the writers did not get there. When the first 2 episodes were aired and KMJ was locked in the basement by DHS, many fans said they won't continue watching this drama if he actually murders him. I guess that's why the makers chose the safe way. People are not yet prepared to see a murderer or evil person as the male lead. I hope in 5-6 years they will be able to make a drama about such a character. 

This is a good opportunity to think about what we want from our male leads. I think we want them to be heroes. I think this goes to the very heart of why we watch dramas. Even if they start off dark, we want them to redeem themselves and end up heroic in some way. To take an extreme example, the most evil of humans might be a serial killer. So how could Dexter be the male lead of the show "Dexter?"

I think the answer is that he only kills other serial killers. That turns him into a hero who protects the innocent from serial killers. In spite of his "nature" as a serial killer, he overcomes his dark desires and protects the innocent. He even ends up falling in love with the wife he thought he was marrying for cover. Our desire for heroes is why we are so happy when Dexter avoids killing innocents and when Do Hyun Soo doesn't kill Kim Moo Jin or the taxi driver. That is also why we are so happy when Do Hyun Soo finally realizes that he does love Cha Ji Won.

Personally, I hope we never get to the point where we want our male lead to be an evil person. "Breaking Bad" came too close to that. I think we kept hoping that Walter White wasn't as bad as he seemed to be becoming, and we held out hope for his redemption. In the end, he did redeem himself in a way, but there was a lot of unpleasantness along the way. I remember there were times when watching that show made me feel dirty. That is not the feeling we want to get from our fiction, and it doesn't say much for our civilization.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

I’m in a hurry so I can’t write everything I would like to. And many have said what I want to. But I will say this, it’s unfair to say that one has to switch off brain cells to watch the show. I mean every show has  flaws. But this one is on of the best I’ve seen. It’s not taky and every actor is doing an amazing job IMO.

I love that DHS isn’t all dark.  He has got shades of gray and layers that even he himself doesn’t understand.

We got 5 episodes left. Wait until we have seen them and then call the show stupid!

• Like 9

I never thought that LJG as male lead could be a serial killer or any kind of murderer, but I was very interested in how the story could make him appear to be evil and for how long. The darker he was at the beginning, the greater the character arc, and the more satisfying his transformation, as long as the change didn't require too great a suspension of disbelief. 

I have been delighted with the way the show has handled Do Hyun Soo's story, thanks largely to LJG's masterful performance. This role has required the most delicate and nuanced acting of his career, and he has more than met the challenge. I always knew that he was brilliant at portraying the big emotions, but his restraint in capturing the most subtle emotions is stunning. From the earliest scenes where his expressions had to be open to interpretation based on audience expectations about his character to the more recent scenes where the emotions the character was experiencing had to be hidden and yet visible to the audience, he has been nothing less than dazzling in his craft.

I am also looking forward to LJG playing an outright villain, but it won't be in a lead role. Just as Kim Ji Hoon is able to play a villain by taking on a "secret" role, LJG will have to take a smaller role to show his villain chops. As soon as I heard that KJH was in the drama, I knew he had to be the villain because you don't hire a leading man to play a small supporting role (unless it is a cameo). When we hear that LJG is cast in a drama where he isn't the lead or a cameo, we will know that he is probably the villain.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

59 minutes ago, joybran said:

This is a good opportunity to think about what we want from our male leads. I think we want them to be heroes. I think this goes to the very heart of why we watch dramas. Even if they start off dark, we want them to redeem themselves and end up heroic in some way. To take an extreme example, the most evil of humans might be a serial killer. So how could Dexter be the male lead of the show "Dexter?"

I think the answer is that he only kills other serial killers. That turns him into a hero who protects the innocent from serial killers. In spite of his "nature" as a serial killer, he overcomes his dark desires and protects the innocent. He even ends up falling in love with the wife he thought he was marrying for cover. Our desire for heroes is why we are so happy when Dexter avoids killing innocents and when Do Hyun Soo doesn't kill Kim Moo Jin or the taxi driver. That is also why we are so happy when Do Hyun Soo finally realizes that he does love Cha Ji Won.

Personally, I hope we never get to the point where we want our male lead to be an evil person. "Breaking Bad" came too close to that. I think we kept hoping that Walter White wasn't as bad as he seemed to be becoming, and we held out hope for his redemption. In the end, he did redeem himself in a way, but there was a lot of unpleasantness along the way. I remember there were times when watching that show made me feel dirty. That is not the feeling we want to get from our fiction, and it doesn't say much for our civilization.

I can see your point there and thanks for including "Dexter" and "Breaking Bad", which further proves that Korean dramas are so not ready for a more 'realistic' show. There needs to be a happy ending and something to believe in and to find that there is good (things are not always what it seems). Just for myself, I prefer the real psychopath instead of a "misdiagnosed" character. Yes, sort of like that Dexter character that you have described, I have not watched Dexter btw. Maybe Do Hyun Soo can kill the real Baek Hee Seong! And give Baek Man Wo a taste of his own medicine Lol :naughty: And possibly making Hae Soo assisting dad in serial killings, maybe teenage Do Hyun Soo getting even with teenage bullies...these are more on the "thrillers area" which might not be viewers cup of tea. I never wanted Do Hyun So to be a hero, just a psychopath to clear his name, that's all. In any case, it still opened up on the issue of mental health and I'm happy about that. So, I'll just let things be I guess because I won't be getting what I want. Lol

• Like 6

14 hours ago, joybran said:

I never thought that LJG as male lead could be a serial killer or any kind of murderer, but I was very interested in how the story could make him appear to be evil and for how long. The darker he was at the beginning, the greater the character arc, and the more satisfying his transformation, as long as the change didn't require too great a suspension of disbelief. 

I have been delighted with the way the show has handled Do Hyun Soo's story, thanks largely to LJG's masterful performance. This role has required the most delicate and nuanced acting of his career, and he has more than met the challenge. I always knew that he was brilliant at portraying the big emotions, but his restraint in capturing the most subtle emotions is stunning. From the earliest scenes where his expressions had to be open to interpretation based on audience expectations about his character to the more recent scenes where the emotions the character was experiencing had to be hidden and yet visible to the audience, he has been nothing less than dazzling in his craft.

I am also looking forward to LJG playing an outright villain, but it won't be in a lead role. Just as Kim Ji Hoon is able to play a villain by taking on a "secret" role, LJG will have to take a smaller role to show his villain chops. As soon as I heard that KJH was in the drama, I knew he had to be the villain because you don't hire a leading man to play a small supporting role (unless it is a cameo). When we hear that LJG is cast in a drama where he isn't the lead or a cameo, we will know that he is probably the villain.

It's not possible for him to play a negative character as a male lead in a drama. Like you said he will have to go for smaller roles. But I think it's possible in movies where a villain sometimes gets similar amount of screentime like a hero and has an important role e.g. Yoo Ah In in Veteran and Lee Jong Suk in V.I.P. LJG is a versatile actor and has shown in his drama that he can play any type of role. I hope to see him in more diverse characters in future.

• Like 8

Captain @Jillia 

I'm so ready. I will try my very best. 2.gif My conflict issue is the live streaming link. It will start buffering after 30 minutes. 

- EPISODE 12 -

Gd266JM.gif

Spoiler

L2ynfEC.gif

uVyRxf2.gif

Spoiler

Yf8yCKH.gif

1I6umwq.gif

Spoiler

H6Kh2Bq.gif

zEfnfh7.gif

Spoiler

aklcYZz.gif

zOk9nB9.gif

Spoiler

9wmYqgO.gif

YqI0JZX.gif

• Like 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

@Sleepy Owl

We don't know that... because episode 12 probably was supposed to be a episode with a cliffhanger, but maybe they changed the editing for it because it got preempted last week. :D

But yeah the long wait is over!

Usually the final arc of the story starts from 13th episode in a 16 episode drama, so I guessed like that. But yes since, 12th episode was postponed, they might have done some editing. 

• Like 3