[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

I wish Netflix will stream this.

I also hope LJG's dramas are available on Netflix. I kind of wonder why because they're undoubtedly great. Maybe because of the producers but are the producers the same every time? He has good dramas and it's just unfortunate.

• Like 7

One of the major questions has been answered. Do Hyun Su is not suffering from ASPD. He has Schizoid Personality Disorder. He's apathetic and lacks the ability to read emotions. But he's not necessarily violent. If there's anyone I fully trust in all the characters (so far), it's Hyun Su. He's always telling the truth. 

Hae Soo might've killed the foreman as a self defense. She was probably sexually harassed. And from what Hyun Su revealed. She might not have killed the taxi driver's wife which I initially suspected. There is someone framing both of them. 

Min Seok probably had another accomplice. But definitely not his children. Or he was framed as well. All the Do family members are artists. A creative household in a small town will definitely earn looks and suspicions from people who are not used to people like them. Ugh! This show is so so good in keeping people from guessing! I'm changing my theory every week!! But time and time again, they keep on repeating the danger of rumors and passing judgments; that one person actually committed a crime based on heresay. Hence, there's a good chance that the serial killing might have been committed by someone familar, and unsuspicious, to the villagers. 

I loooove the writer of this show. There's definitely a message she wants to tell her audience. But there's subtlety and finesse in her manner of storytelling, that it doesn't feel contrived and cringey (I'm looking at you, Signal). Also, she has fully-fleshed out characters. Their impulses and tendencies feels true to their characters. Nothing feels forced. That's why my favorite scenes in this episode is Cho's interrogation and Ji Won's outburst. We knew Cho would do that because that's his nature. And Ji Won. Such a strong, tenacious character. 

I really truly love this show! ♥️

One thing that I'm kind of scratching my head though is the switcheroo. How did the Baek's managed to fool the people around them about their son. I mean, they were both adults then. It's not like Hee Sung has been hiding in their basement all his life that no one knows him beyond his parents. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

hello to all FOEs here, i may be watching too fast or i may be too slow but bear with me y'all! i need some clarity plzzzz pretty plzzzz :)

Hide contents

why is Kim ji hoon's character also baek hee sung? is LJG's charac his brother? sorry but i'm still in the dark LOLs is he the real son's killer? woah i'm quite baffled hahaha

Lee Jung Ki's Hyun Su took Kim Ji Hoon's Baek Hee Sung's identity. The real Hee Sung is in a coma. They are unrelated as far as we know. The reason for the whole switcheroo is still unknown. But the Baeks seems to have planned the ruse and used Hyun Su. Why they've done it, no one knew yet. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This episodes is full of revelation, tension, surprises, and finally, a slap against the hypocrisies...literally

I am so happy that the latest release finally tackles the major factors in the Korea societies, baseless gossips or rumors vs the truth and facts.  Right now, I hear more and more celebrities like Lee Min-Ho, the group Super Junior's rapper and more K-idols finally decide to take a stand against the malicious comments.  Many, many famous k stars like them had died in suicides due to those vicious mainstreams and no one helped them in their time of need that they sank into deep depressions. The producers of this drama just made a bold move of making the ML whose life is ruin from the baseless rumors  due to his mental disorder and the FL is the one who seeks the full truths with her own eyes.

Euh Ha is so adorable both her current age and her baby self.  That 'mother' said some hurtful things about her after she left but glad that HS talk her down and tell her to address his daughter by her name.  Poor little girl suffered from anxiety but she bounced back in the ending seeing her daddy on his feet.

All the casts...well almost all, did a fantastic job in this one.  Moo Jin finally discovers that the other killer is still alive and it's the same one who threaten Nam Soo-Kil during those 4 months.  The doorman murder was possibly not a self-defense or accident as that killer admitted that the old man got in his way. His comic relief in finding the truth was so fun to watch. Along with his conversation with HS being his puppy.  The mother's hysterics hinted what happen to her son's accident 15 years ago.  Guess it was after the other HS replaced him.  the real one seems pretty decent while trying to help him.  I'm a bit sad we didn't see much of DHS in the present time but how she knew the culprit is a mystery as HS said, someone is trying to pin her at Min-Sook's disappearance.  I feel bad for her that the gossiping made her quit her job but the director never blamed her for her family background nor ruin his work.  He didn't judge her like everyone else in her life like Moo Jin breaking up with her due to her father.   The driver finally understands the rumors about HS are false.  He was smart pretending to be catatonic after surgery and regretted killing a not so innocent man.  After hearing all of HS confession, he finally decides to use his remaining time to find the culprit.  

Now for the leads, HS finally decide to learn the truth of the murders. He was so caught off guard of his wife tormented reactions over his unconscious state for 10 days and was visibly shaken by them. HS was pissed off at the driver at his attempts in ruin his life but like Nam Soo-Kil, he didn't take his revenge instead, he asked how he felt when his wife was gone and sympathized.  He didn't go through his 'father's plans to shut him up like the usual k-drama style but having the driver on his side was the smartest thing to do.  HS confesses the whole truth while playing mind games with the driver with the drug was clever.  He was actually shocked that his single parent was the killer on TV just like everyone else.  His father might have some knowledge in treating  his mental issues as we seen some fond memories of his moments with his sister. Even now he's protective of her and wants her a normal life which is now threaten once more.  He was fairly docile during his father's funeral and didn't suffer from any bullying until the tv announcement.  Since the folks weren't aware of his anti social disorders as they were still unknown in that period and still are, they treated him horribly with their gossips, exorcisms and harassment. What will his reactions will be when he finds out he confesses being Do Hyun Soo to his wife.  Their confrontation with his past will be the next thing to watch out for as seen in the highlight trailer, they will make love some time after that and he'll show his scar.  Just like before, she'll help him feel thing he never knew and will start trusting her the 1st time with his conditions. 

MC is today's highlight of this episode. She secretly tries to cover for her husband without anyone noticing after confessing he's Do Hyun Soo.  She saw his father workshop and noticed the similarities and done her investigations. At first, she was conflicted with the info and the gossiping all the people who knew Hyun Soo.  Then she remembered his time with baby Eun Ha that she finally saw the kind of man he was actually underneath.  Despite trying to arrest him, she slammed Nam Soo-Kil's wife over the baseless info her husband fed her and the things posted on the internet over the facts she knows as a police officer.  She looked into his file with her eyes wide open and saw no one had seen him doing any hideous acts before the foreman's murder.  She knows he's not a psychopath just someone who needs help with his conditions while seeking the truth.  I'm so happy to see the actress is doing a drama about mental issues again and she does a fantastic job in that department.  We know the next episode, she studies his conditions then trick him in bringing him back to his father's shop where we'll see his conflicted state while trying to choke her.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 5

I am planning on putting up a new Flower of Evil poll on this thread this weekend!

Which questions would you like to see? Please PM me or tag me here on this thread.

We have a limited amount of space for questions, so I will post the ones that seem most popular.

Please send your suggestions to me within the next 24 hours! I plan for the poll to be up on Saturday.

Thank you! Let's have some fun! :kiss_wink:

Your Event Organizer,

partyon

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

I had a busy week so am only starting to watch ep 5 now and oy! Unpredictable and really exciting! MCW’s phone freak out scene with her sunbae was very well done. 

ohhh so much in just one episode but now I think Jiwon knew from the beginning that her husband isn’t normal per se. The scene of them kissing and him telling his father to go away was good! It explains and proves that he has some real feelings for her. I found it interesting that she’s willing to protect him too even when she didn’t have the answers yet. 

Now watching ep 6. Boom! I am really liking the pace of this show! JW knows the truth now  yey! I am just grateful that they didn’t wait until waaaaay later for it. Overall, slower episode but it was nice setting the scene for what’s to come. 

Edited by stella77
  • Like 15
  • Love 1

I haven’t found any addictive series after CLOY... I tried several series but lost interest a few episodes in. I watched FOE and I am captivated! I  love MCW since Innocent Man and it is my first series with LJK. They are such great actors!  The emotion is so raw! The angsts! The tension! The supporting cast is doing an excellent job as well! The pretend parents, esp the mom, are obnoxious to say the least. Then we have EH  who is a cutie pie! I just can’t wait for next Wed and Thurs! I love coming here and reading the recaps and insights! You guys are making the series so much more fun! Thank you! 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, ScarlettRose said:

I wish Netflix will stream this.

I also hope LJG's dramas are available on Netflix. I kind of wonder why because they're undoubtedly great. Maybe because of the producers but are the producers the same every time? He has good dramas and it's just unfortunate.

I think several of LJG older dramas are on Netflx: Arang, Scholar who walks the night...last time I checked.

• Like 8

Eunha: That cloud looks like an egg tart.

Heesong: It looks like your mom.

weird but this scene really stood out for me. Eunha saw egg tart (her favorite) whereas Heesong saw Jiwon (his favorite) </3

don't know how i'll get over this heartbreak but i'm really looking forward to it! i want to applaud the actors and everyone involved because the sad scenes are not exaggerated to add a melodramatic touch, it's so natural and well-done. this one is one of the few dramas where you can actually feel for the characters and understand where they're coming from. 

the unpredictability of this drama is mind-blowing, to say the least. i don't have any idea about the killer/accomplice but i think they might've been already introduced (?) given the fact that the character is very important to the drama. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Mona Ys said:

I think several of LJG older dramas are on Netflx: Arang, Scholar who walks the night...last time I checked.

Yeah, some, but I want this, Lawless Lawyer, MLSHR, etc. to be there instead.:)

I just want that he'll be able to showcase how versatile he is. The non-legit sites are great sources but the Netflix platform is better because the video quality is guaranteed - at least for those who are outside SK.

Edited by ScarlettRose
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, aisling said:

The plot twist I didn’t see coming was JW finding about DHS identity so early in the game. I was expecting the writer would tease us with a near revelation every week until the very end. This changes the tone of drama and I’m ready for it.

yea same here! I didn't expect she would find it so early but it certainly amps up the tension of the drama where she is trying to process her feelings, their history together and what she knows of the case. from the ending of the episode, it is clear to her that there are lots of questions and it is not as simple as people are assuming. she knows that despite him having a reputation for a cold personality, he had a childhood dog for 10 years. and she has seen how he took care of their daughter. given her experience as a cop, she is able to judge with a certainty that psychopaths are not interested in caring for something weaker than them. she is also able to cut through the noise of the chatter and recognize that there was not a single concrete proof or evidence that hyun su did anything -- it was basically rumour after the news and most of it based on ill feeling. as a cop, she would have seen such reactions in other cases where people immediately turn against a potential suspect even if the opposite might be true -- the suspect may actually be innocent. her speech at the end shows that she is basically trying to uncover the truth and wherever it leads, she will accept -- it may be possible that hyun su is simply a victim of slander or it is possible that he was indeed an accomplice in which case, he must be tried. so it will be interesting to see how this plays out..

it is going to be a tough road for ji won -- she still very much loves this man; despite him telling her the truth in a dazed medication, she didn't run off to the police. she was waiting for him to wake up and her first reaction to seeing him was tears and a hug. but at the same time, when her brain turns on, she is wary of him and is worried that her worst fears and suspicions might actually be true.... so this is going to be one angsty melodrama of a love story! bring it on! who else is bored with regular romances. hahahahhaha....

also liked the plot twist that hyun su didn't kill the cabbie. so this means that us as viewers have to wonder what will happen to him. if he hasn't done a crime, then he should be free to live his life no? whereas, if he had done something to the cabbie, then obviously he would have had a miserable end. so PD and writer is definitely messing with us!

at the end of ep 5, I was thinking that noona may be the actual accomplice but it looks like min seok had someone else and he threatened the witness as well as got rid of the foreman. the fish key ring was also a gift at the funeral -- why? so lots of questions. am also wondering about the original hee sung and what he did. the fake mom ranges from being paranoid to being sort of showing some affection for hyun su which is fascinating to watch. it made me laugh when hyun su asks if they trusted him, then why would he trust them? so she almost wants him to trust them, wants him to live with them, sees his life as something they ought to be a part of but they are still allies in some conspiracy for a good 15 years or more. interesting! all of this truth coming out will be hard on the fake parents as well.

@partyon ~ my suggestions for the poll:

1. do the fake parents love hyun su and vice versa?

2. will there some sort of ill-fated love connection story between noona and the reporter? is this the modern version of first love angst gone all wrong that we see in saeguks?

3. what kind of ending will it be?

and am curious to see if the quirky village doctor who was teasing the reporter will show up again..... have seen him in many many dramas and it seems strange for him to have a guest appearance. perhaps, he will show up again in later episodes as well? oh, thank goodness nose detective is well. poor fella -- he seemed annoyed that no one bothered to visit him. hahahaha...

and like @chickenchopflipflop83 , @lightbringer06 and others have noted, great choice of instrumental soundtrack that perfectly sets the tone for the drama. am loving the choices of how it fits the scenes just right. if anyone finds the instrumental OST floating around, please share chingus so we can have a listen!

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4

Regarding the question why FOE is not on Netflix, try to look carefully at the ending credits. Viki is a major sponsor for this drama. If Netflix decides to have it on their platform, it may take some time for it to be available (I think it will be same scenario for The World of the Married).

I really love the pacing of episodes 5 and 6. Clever plot twist most especially in episode 6. Like most of you said, the drama makers has a clear message that they wanna tell the viewers.

Ji Won is probably wondering why her husband has to make that sacrifice for his sister's sake, and this is what she will try to uncover even when her husband comes along with her investigation.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1

49 minutes ago, glory said:

Eunha: That cloud looks like an egg tart.

Heesong: It looks like your mom.

weird but this scene really stood out for me. Eunha saw egg tart (her favorite) whereas Heesong saw Jiwon (his favorite) </3

@glory I love that bit too... I can’t help but think that he loves her unknowingly! His love is coming through little by little...  ❤️❤️❤️ Wed feels too far away! :criesariver:

• Like 11

Wow, 6pages to back read, you guys  are on fire:evillaugh:

I will be enjoying your posts while waiting Viki finish the subtitles for episode 5 & 6:hooray2:

3 hours ago, Mona Ys said:

And Two Weeks. Scholar was the latest  one on Netflix, so it has been quite some years his dramas not appearing there....don’t know why

• Like 6

I am curious about Baek Man Wo.Why he must plan kill taxi driver by using fake Baek He Sung. What the relation with his family? From first episode I start doubt Baek Man Wo. In episode 6 his wife say she is not useful.Baek Man Wo must have a secret.And cleaning service ahjuma is a witness about taxi driver wife kidnap.And she say that Do Min Seok is still alive. I am more confused. I am interest in scene Cha Ji Won stand in the middle of the stair.In mean now, she is start to doubt his husband but don't have evidence but in other way she love her husband and don't want anything happen with him. 

But I must believe what director say in press conference about this drama is about love and reconciliation.I believe Cha Ji won will accept anything about her husband and forgive him for lie to her.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, luffie said:

I haven’t found any addictive series after CLOY... I tried several series but lost interest a few episodes in. I watched FOE and I am captivated! I  love MCW since Innocent Man and it is my first series with LJK. They are such great actors!  The emotion is so raw! The angsts! The tension! The supporting cast is doing an excellent job as well! The pretend parents, esp the mom, are obnoxious to say the least. Then we have EH  who is a cutie pie! I just can’t wait for next Wed and Thurs! I love coming here and reading the recaps and insights! You guys are making the series so much more fun! Thank you! 

Agreed! After CLOY ended i have been watching many kdramas and nothing got me hooked until FOE comes along. Such a shame the time slot of airing is so late... they deserve some awards for the writing and acting. It’s my first time watching Lee Joon Gi too and im amazed with his acting in the pool.. his cheek moves when hes angered or when trying to bear the pain. Didnt know he’s that good... MCW’s acting ok some scene is good too love her more. Together their chemistry is just so good.  Getting ready for some heartbreaking moments but cant wait till they reconcile and love each other more! So glad i find this drama

• Like 10