[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

I am just now watching ep 10 and this show has gone by so fast!! Only 6 more episodes and it has slowed down a little bit but still good! 

I am glad our OTP is finallllly opening up to each other in their own ways. I was getting annoyed in ep 9 when they were still lying to each other but then really happy that finally, they are conveying their real feelings. I am also glad that the sister called JW and told her that DH wasn’t involved in the murder and that finally after all these years, she is taking action to figure out who that guy was at the funeral. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, mulberry9 said:

Let's thank the CP of Studio Dragon, Yoo Sang-won for that. FOE is produced by Monster Union and Studio Dragon. Before Yoo Sang-won became a Studio Dragon CP, he was with Monster Union. This is the same company who produced The Princess' Man 2011 (Chaewon) and Joseon Gunman 2014 (Joongi's) 

P.S these two dramas have the same team. Even the same director.

The CP did an interview with OSEN last August where he mentioned that he met with Chaewon again after The Princess' Man and Joongi after Joseon Gunman. He talked about FOE in his interview

Here's the article

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0004252802

'Mother' which was directed by the same PD as FOE won had similar ratings as FOE and it won Best Drama at Baeksang and several other awards and nominations :)

With FOE, many know the reason why the ratings aren't high is due to the timeslot but it is very well received and popular in and out Korea. They wouldn't be on top 5 brand reputation for drama actors if the drama doesn't do well in S.K. So I think there are still chances for them. If not for the actors, at least for the drama.

I am so glad after reading all of your thoughts regarding this drama and awards. Truely I was hoping this drama, cast and crews are atleast to be a nominees. As of episode 10, it maintains a good momentum and its quality is just a boom for me. It might not receiving many hypes (eg: was not air in Netflix and the airtime was too late). I hope this drama deserve what it should be. Not root for its popularity but the quality of the show. 

Finger cross and I hope this would be a turning point for MCW and LJG too. MCW yeah as u guys says an underrated good actress and her latest project since 2015 makes her that. I am wishing this drama to be as good until the end and deserve what its deserve.

• Like 15

21 hours ago, Jillia said:

I have to say for me as well the drama made such a effort to let me know Ji Won might be a person with "two faces" and then the whole thing with her father. I would be a bit disappointed if the drama doesn't make proper use of it. So let's hope we get some revelation in the next episodes. :D

Yes. I think one episode might be enough to cover it up. I don't think it needs to be prolonged but maybe just an understanding of what kind of family Ji Won has before meeting Hyun Soo. By the looks of it, she seemed to be just like any normal human being. But it wouldn't hurt to get a little glimpse of it as well.

I think most of us share the same sentiments regarding the awards and all. For some reason, I am always drawn to dramas who are not so high in ratings or even some that are underrated. I think I may have watched more not-so popular ones than those are. So seeing this drama be recognized in terms of awards would be nice and most certainly be rewarding for the people behind this drama, cast, crew, director, etc.

Btw, I just noticed how lovely Ji Won and Hyun Soo's wedding rings' design are :fullofhearts:

ezgif-com-video-to-gif-4.gif 

P.S. Does anyone know when will Feel You OST be officially released? :)

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Another theory about Baek man woo, hee sung, hyun su and jung mi sook. 

It seems that Baek man woo has a strong motivation for hyun su to not be captured by the police. He would rather pay for hyun su to disappear or for the employment agency to get rid of him. He was even prepared to ask hyun su to kill the taxi driver because he doesn't want hyun su anywhere near the police. If Baek hee sung was an accomplice, then it would make no sense as Baek man woo would have wanted hyun su to get caught by the police and be framed for all those crimes. I believe it is important why BMW doesn't like hyun su near the police. 

I have a feeling, on the night of the accident, as he was transported back to the Baek house, it is likely that hyun su saw something he shouldn't have.

I think when he reached the house, it is possible that he saw :

Spoiler

Jung mi sook trapped in the Baek residence. What If on the same night besides hee sung getting in a coma, jung mi sook also died that night and ended up getting buried in the garden? Could hyun su have witnessed that but forgotten after he woke up from his injuries? 

I think the baeks are scared that hyun su will eventually remember what happened that night, that's why Baek man woo wanted to keep him close to the extent of even adopting him, and going to great lengths to ensure he does not get caught by the police. 

3 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Yes. I think one episode might be enough to cover it up. I don't think it needs to be prolonged but maybe just an understanding of what kind of family Ji Won has before meeting Hyun Soo. By the looks of it, she seemed to be just like any normal human being. But it wouldn't hurt to get a little glimpse of it as well.

I think most of us share the same sentiments regarding the awards and all. For some reason, I am always drawn to dramas who are not so high in ratings or even some that are underrated. I think I may have watched more not-so popular ones than those are. So seeing this drama be recognized in terms of awards would be nice and most certainly be rewarding for the people behind this drama, cast, crew, director, etc.

Btw, I just noticed how lovely Ji Won and Hyun Soo's wedding rings' design are

P.S. Does anyone know when will Feel You OST be officially released? :)

I think in Korea, its hard to get recognition if the ratings are not high. However, "mother" and "my ahjussi" were exceptions as really big names and movie darlings are associated with those projects. Objectively I have watched mother, and while it is really really well made, I think flower of evil is better. However mother was a bit more artistic and had in general a wider appeal which is the type of drama that the Korean academy like to reward. Flower of evil could fall short mainly due to some stigma attached to the show being a melo, and casting "popular" rather than serious actors. (while ljg is very established, he is often typecast as a "popular" actor, which I myself find baffling). I don't have high hopes for baeksang to be honest. But mother was recognized in cannes, and I hope flower of evil will get a chance to go around an international circuit that's free from the prejudice and stigmas that the Korean entertainment industry is known for. 

Regarding the rings, i am eagering awaiting for the flashback of how hee sung made the rings and how he goes about proposing to jiwon. I believe there might be some meaning to the design, perhaps inspired by his mother. 

• Like 8

On 8/30/2020 at 1:18 AM, lightbringer06 said:

I so agree with this one ~ Moon Chae Won and Lee Joon Ki deserve some awards for their performance in this. I feel like after Innocent Man, MCW hasn't gotten much breakthrough in her dramas and had been underappreciated. So I'm glad that this drama is a milestone for both of them to showcase their acting prowess and they did not disappoint. I just wanna thank whoever casted them to work together 

There is no harm in casting them for a third time in a sageuk movie/drama in like 2022. There are both great in historical productions. There are in the same agency (namoo actors) so it would easier i guess with the negotiations. As @mulberry9 said they have both worked in historical productions (Princess Man & Joseon Gunman)that were produced by the same company (Monster Union). What if the same company brought them together and produced a sizzling sageuk piece starring them.

9 hours ago, Tuiwgn said:

it is criminal if Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won not win best actors award! 

Even tVN acknowledged their skills already.Look at the caption that was posted with these pictures:

From @tvndrama.official—
[trans]
Facial acting masters Lee Joongi & Moon Chaewon!
I had such a hard time choosing just 16 from like 100..

ca10fd06ab4ce650c8275c755d700892fbc4a47a

e095deeb350b457d9df82b0318b51adb8e0e9813

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

i am vain but I hope they sell a replica of the wedding ring. it looks so beautiful.

as for the drama i am on the edge of my seat watching epi 11. I am glad that JiWon hints to Hyun Soo that she knows his real identity. I have no clue as who is the accomplice is because it is too early for second guess. Hints are pointing to too many people. For all we know it could be JiWon herself.

You guys are so insightful in your analysis.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Hi everyone, I'm back and it's possible I won't be active this week due to my new job schedule. 

The ep. 7-8 hits me profoundly since I am too someone with disability issues.   Ji Won visited the psychiatric building to learn more of her husband's conditions.  His psychiatrist showed her the videos of her sessions with him after his mother died.  Ji Won witnessed his violent reactions to anyone who touch his cassette player.  Due to her suggestions that it might triggered Hyun Soo's behaviors, Ji Won set out to prove the results.  This is where literally epi.10 hit right back at her when Hyun Soo confessed to her that it was given to him by his mother before she died and was afraid anyone to snatched it  from him.   She took the steps to far with him as her husband didn't have his player for 14 years to soothed him as she played it at his father workshop, and his violent traumas reawakened.   I understand with his mental state, Hyun Soo is like a strict territorial lone wolf with his treasure and will retaliate to anyone who tries to take it. Without. Permission.   His former boss suffered that mistake when he tried to take his ear phone with asking him first.  Almost everyone in his life after he ran away from his village took the wrong approach in communicating with him because they invaded his privacy.  By ep.7, Hyun Soo was starting to suffer his restrains of his outbursts.  From what I seen, Ji Won at first tried to get back at him for lying to her all these years and being the possible killer.  She then learned that he wasn't the accomplice but hearing that he doesn't know how he felt for her hit her hard.  In Ji Won's mind, she thought that meant that he didn't loved her all these years.  She  decided to protect him and their family as she stared blankly his possessions burned to ash determine to live his life and once that's done, she'll live him.

I am glad to see Hao Soo finally step up to defend her brother admitting to Moo Jin that she's the one who killed the foreman and telling him to stop being a jerk.  Unlike how he react to Hyun Soo's fake confession, he tried to understand her actions, why? Because she's a Normal Person. What does that term means? that she's too pretty and sensible to people around her? Despite Hyun Soo efforts to protect her, he didn't comprehended that her guilt was eating up in her all these years that she couldn't take proper care of herself.  Their sibling reunion was so touching as Hyun Soo tried to get to the point but his sister tearfully gave him a hug after 18 years. He was more open to her since she is still his family who can understand him.  Despite his hurtful word about his relationship with his life, she still teaches him to empathized with himself before saying anything.  She knows deep down, Hyun Soo deeply loves his wife and their child but he has to learn to acknowledge his emotions.  

It seems Moo Jin's lack of understanding as to why she's sticking up to her brother was possibly because he's an orphan.  Which would explain why the villager took pity on him while Hyun Soo was treated horribly.  While he still treats horribly Hyun Soo, he was willing to help the siblings solving the case making their fun odd crime solving them.  At least he did a good job reuniting them.  

Another big moment with Eun Ha and her parental fake grandma.  Her emotional reactions to her potentials mathematical genius hinted what might happened to her son in the past.  Her making up to the little girl was moving as unknowingly they bonded.  Unlike before, Eun Ha became more comfortable with her asking her grandma to feed her and compliment about her cooking.  To her, Eun Ha represents the joyful life she wants to regain  with her son but the moments with the little girl, slowly healing her mental state.  Her husband obviously neglects her conditions as he was more focus on maintaining his reputation and their son alive.   Eun Ha influenced her that she still can have that life again and with the possibility that her son might not recover, she decided to let him go so the family could move on and accept the outcome which allow him to be awaken from his coma.

I'll do the epi. 9-10 analysis tomorrow.  All I can say that the two episodes showcase different stages of mental cases and how people like Hyun Soo and BHS's are treated with their conditions in the societies or households.  Both their cases pushed them or the people around them to do the unthinkable to protect their family.  For Ji Won, her motivations was to see if her husband is capable to kill with the possessions he left along with the psychiatrist's reports of his conditions was at first realizing the lies he lead all these years.  Hearing his confessions that he doesn't how he felt for her hit her. She took her ring off reflecting the affects of his lies and their moments together were possibly falsed. Hyun Soo displayed great detective skills as he focused on the background sounds in the recording which might clued in where the accomplice was.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Pikachu92 said:

Anyone here please tell me if this week episode will be airing or not?

Ep 11 will air as usual. Ep 12 will be replaced with a special

@violina

Spoiler

One interesting thing.. both JG and CW were under IMX Japan. 2011-2014 for JG and 2011-2016 for CW. They were in that stars managament together with the other 2 MS Team actresses (Son Ye Jin & Lee Min Jung), Lee Min Hoo and Yeo Jin Goo (joined in 2013). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s clear as a day that BMW has some kind of a connection with the big mystery. But I still think he’s not the accomplice. He might be the link that connects all the events together but he’s too cold, too calculated, too career orientated to commit those crimes of passion. But he’s definitely involved in something illegal - either he’s involved personally or he’s covering for his son.

If people assumed DHS was his father’s accomplice when he was only 17 at that time, why wouldn’t real BHS be the killer when he was 20 (21 Korean age) back then? Real BHS was a math genius when he was young, some kind of prodigy. But there are always “side effects” when people are geniuses. Judging from his mother’s panicked reaction I’d say those side effects weren’t mild or anything to take lightly. BHS was probably seeing some kind of psychiatrist too and maybe that’s where he met DMS. While his parents didn’t understand his “genius and everything that comes with it”, DMS immediately recognised his kindred spirit. Maybe DMS was disappointed in his real son DHS because despite his best efforts to groom his into a murderer, DHS resisted and didn’t show the same tendencies. I’d say he brought DHS everywhere with him just to obtain alibis, not because he cared.

I’d be disappointed if they’d introduce a new character who’d turn out to be an accomplice because at that point nobody will care about a new character.

On a side note I appreciate how detailed the production is. As many of you I’ve also fallen in love with the design of their wedding rings and it makes sense for a master metal craftsman to create something so unique.

• Like 8
  • Wiggle 1

10 hours ago, mystic62 said:

The ep. 7-8 hits me profoundly since I am too someone with disability issues.   Ji Won visited the psychiatric building to learn more of her husband's conditions.  His psychiatrist showed her the videos of her sessions with him after his mother died.  Ji Won witnessed his violent reactions to anyone who touch his cassette player.  Due to her suggestions that it might triggered Hyun Soo's behaviors, Ji Won set out to prove the results.  This is where literally epi.10 hit right back at her when Hyun Soo confessed to her that it was given to him by his mother before she died and was afraid anyone to snatched it  from him.   

It was so satisfying to see CJW go off on that incompetent psychologist/psychiatrist(?) 

0b3e71d64f988045f47ea6a47d7139e6b7f8fa96

1dd9c42922d5bcc004490c3e6fb91516c1c1c3d2

0f51e643033e39828fd3b35e0b298b7aed243d31

DHS was failed by everybody.His father, his community(the villagers who spent their energy doing exorcisms on him).The media who spread the rumors about him being an accomplice with no proof.The police.Even the mental health professional. It makes me wonder how many countless number of people we have lost to suicide or being permanently admitted to psychiatric hospital would have been saved just by being correctly diagnosed. How many murders and other horrific crimes would have been prevented just by treating the mental health issue during childhood?

3 hours ago, aisling said:

I’d be disappointed if they’d introduce a new character who’d turn out to be an accomplice because at that point nobody will care about a new character.

So many suspects but am sure the accomplice is one of the characters we already know.He/she is right under our noses. I really love the writing.This is the first crime drama I can watch without knowing who is the main villain.Its so thrilling.Its so nice to read from the pseudo detectives here, twitter and instagram trying to guess who the accomplice is:D

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:44 PM, patheticsane said:

It might not receiving many hypes (eg: was not air in Netflix and the airtime was too late). I hope this drama deserve what it should be. Not root for its popularity but the quality of the show. 

Why did you say the drama is not getting many hypes? 

a. The drama was no 8 most buzzworthy drama even before it aired.

b. Lee Joon Gi and and Moon Chae Won & the drama were consistently on most search even before the premiere.

c. Lee Joon Gi and and Moon Chae Won & the drama were consistently on the top 5 most buzzworthy actors and dramas since the premiere.

d. Lee Joon Gi was no 1 most buzzworthy actor for 3 weeks in a row. 

e. Lee Joon Gi was no 3 and Moon Chae Won was no 5, drama actor brand reputation for the month of August by the Korean Business Research Institute.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

53 minutes ago, missmaudy said:

Why did you say the drama is not getting many hypes? 

a. The drama was no 8 most buzzworthy drama even before it aired.

b. Lee Joon Gi and and Moon Chae Won & the drama were consistently on most search even before the premiere.

c. Lee Joon Gi and and Moon Chae Won & the drama were consistently on the top 5 most buzzworthy actors and dramas since the premiere.

d. Lee Joon Gi was no 1 most buzzworthy actor for 3 weeks in a row. 

e. Lee Joon Gi was no 3 and Moon Chae Won was no 5, drama actor brand reputation for the month of August by the Korean Business Research Institute.

Hi @missmaudy thank you for the information. I noted on the buzz that they received and even on top of it. I wouldve imagine that if this drama is getting more exposure ie to be listed in Netflix and the airtime is good. It will be more famous then wht it received today. 

But I am glad, eventho it wasnt exposed to Netflix and the airtime is on weekdays and on the late night. It still receive a good recognition from us the viewer. Would be happy to become one of the supporters too. Peace.

• Like 6

If it was on Netflix then it would have been filled with ridiculous Subway PPL :lol: But it would have also gotten international attention. Moon Chaewoon is popular in Korea (though not as much as she deserves to be) but I don't think she is well known outside of Korea. This could have helped her to gain international fandom. Netflix is weird. Sometimes they buy questionable or sugary dramas instead of quality dramas like FOE. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, patheticsane said:

Hi @missmaudy thank you for the information. I noted on the buzz that they received and even on top of it. I wouldve imagine that if this drama is getting more exposure ie to be listed in Netflix and the airtime is good. It will be more famous then wht it received today. 

But I am glad, eventho it wasnt exposed to Netflix and the airtime is on weekdays and on the late night. It still receive a good recognition from us the viewer. Would be happy to become one of the supporters too. Peace.

It would have been convenient for non-asian subscibers if it were on Netflix. I am still hopeful that the drama will appear on Netflix after the expiration of it’s contract with Viki. Though,if only Viki gets their subtitles promptly, then I don’t mind it not having it on Netflix. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

I wonder if Netflix help worldwide buzz though. Maybe for the Americas/Europe /Africa/Australia but kdrama market of these regions even combined still hold the minority. Well I could be wrong maybe things have changed and kdramas have gained more popularity outside Asia. 

I am happy that people have been enjoying the drama as much as I do.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

I'm still somewhat going back and forth between who the accomplice or actual serial killer is. Money still on real Baek Hee Sung but I also understand he just woke up from a long come. People who were in much shorter comas had big issues after waking up. So to think he would wake up after 15 years and act like he woke up from a long sleep is of course delusional. But still something about him is just as shady as his father is.

I feel like we will get the answer in episode 12 which we won't get this week. :lol:

You are right.:DSomeone said for a guy who woke up from an 18 year coma.He is talking too much. Plus the burning question all of us want to know even Hyun Soo wants to know:D:

d8646a0dae8c884de8998b537634515d85571e8e

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1