[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

okay that was WILD!

i liked this episode better than episode 7. as always, there are more questions than answers. and i guess this episode concluded that Do Hyun-su hasn't committed any murder. 

Baek Man-woo is getting more and more suspicious and i guess Moo-jin isn't what he shows he is, either. i think Do Hyun-su should come out clean, now. i know he has been lying to Ji-won for 14 years and he wants to do that for his entire life but i just can't see Ji-won like that. it just scares me how brave and strong she is and what will happen when she decides to show her vulnerability. i don't think anyone is ready for that, yet. i wanted Hyun-su to give her a reason to forgive him but the situation got worse...so damn frustrating...

a father telling a child to "do whatever you want to" with an animal is f-ed up on so many levels. i think Do Min-seok loved to torture his victims and kill them secretly without his kids knowing and maybe Hyun-su had witnessed a victim being abused in the basement(?) idk...i think they've given countless hints in the previous episodes. might as well rewatch it all lol. 

• Like 8

Hi. I've finished up to episode 8 and Hyun Soo's anti social personality disorder isn't still that clear to me (though I know they can feel and they can be normal and live a normal life as what I've read on some medical articles). Many people just have a different opinion of this medical diagnosis (like they can't feel, they are emotionless, etc.) and it is making me confuse and I hate that I can't relate much to his character on this episode. Thanks to jg_k_drama on twitter, I've been able to understand more of Hyun Soo's reactions especially on episode 8.

But because I don't want to be left in the dark and not understand Hyun Soo's medical diagnosis, I did my own research about ASPD and it seems like the character of Hyun Soo is very much accurate. 

• "Antisocial personality (ASPD) is one of the cluster B personality disorders, which typically involve emotional, impulsive, or dramatic thoughts and actions."
  • Most people diagnosed with ASPD are unable to feel remorse or guilt.
  • They may lack empathy and struggle to understand emotions of other people. 
  • They have a tendency towards "impulsive and often dangerous or illegal actions."
  • But, NOT every person with ASPD will be a murderer or will commit extremely violent acts. As you can observe with Hyun Soo, he didn't actively engage in violent acts as an adult but only when he was triggered (in the basement scene with Moo Jin). When he was a teenager he tend to took revenge on people who harmed him first, but we never see him initiate the attack.
  • It is also possible that they may change (I'm not sure to what extent) as they receive therapy. In Hyun Soo's case, he doesn't have a professional therapist but the way Ji Won constantly pursued him in the past with so much kindness and love might have changed him a little bit, and now, they are living peacefully for 14 years with a daughter, so just like what Hae Soo said, he did change. He just can't distinguish that.
  • The stigma is real for people with ASPD. Many people think they are manipulative and would not feel love over their families (they may love their family but  may care less about others, but this doesn't mean they would commit violent acts over others). This is true to Hyun Soo's obsession with the tape (which we can assumed has his deceased mother's humming), the way he protected his sister (tho, he didn't realize it was because he extremely cared for her), when he kissed back Ji Won on flashbacks, when he took care of Eun Ha and has always been considerate of Ji Won. 
  • I can't much understand the difference between the terms sociopath and psychopath as even some of the medical articles put them in a gray area, but maybe the right term is Anti-social personality disorder. 

Here are some notable points I've search from a medical article:

Spoiler
  • A common assumption is that all people who have ASPD are incapable of emotion and feeling and will eventually commit violent crimes and harm others. It’s true many people living with ASPD typically don’t feel remorse or guilt. They may also lack empathy, struggle to understand the emotions of other people, or experience frequent legal issues, due to a tendency toward impulsive and often dangerous or illegal actions.
  • But sociopathy isn’t a mental health diagnosis, and not every person with ASPD will hurt other people or engage in violent acts.
  • This condition is only diagnosed in people over the age of 18.
  • Though ASPD is far less common in women than it is in men, some research has suggested when ASPD develops in women, the condition may become more severe. Women living with ASPD are even more likely to abuse substances than men living with ASPD.
  • Research also indicates antisocial behavior may persist longer in men
  • Parental neglectabuse, or inconsistency and a lack of stability from primary caregivers can all increase the risk that a child with conduct disorder will develop ASPD.

source: https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/understanding-antisocial-personality-the-stigma-tied-to-aspd-0510197

---

You can also read this story that I assumed was written by a person with ASPD. Reading this feels like reading a bit of Hyun Soo's mind. Btw, the person who wrote this might have been receiving therapy.

"But I strongly believe the majority of studies done on ASPD are on dangerous criminal 'psychopaths' who are in prison for serious crimes. While there are a huge number of people, like me now, who are not violent or criminal, and live normal lives."

story link: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/your-stories/life-with-antisocial-personality-disorder-aspd/

*My little research is not 100% accurate, so you can search for more^^

Edited by Erika Song
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the real BHS’s coma, it seems that Do Hyun Soo is exactly not part of this. I bet during his recovery stage, something happened that made the real Baek Hee Sung go into coma. In fact, he pretty wondered that how can a healthy BHS ended up in a coma state. 

• Like 6

Omy G... The last two scenes of ep8 are so thrilling. Questions are hanging now, hope there's answers in Ep9.

1.The true Baek Hee Seong opened his eyes already. What another implications will it give to Do Hyun So?  

2.DHS shown himself to CJW in Kim Moo Jin's house. Will the trio (the sibling and MooJin)  reveal their plans? And if they reveal their plan, how on earth CJW will accept it? Or they will stick to another lying alibi? How will she react with the situation? 

I hope CJW cooperate with the trio to solve the "accomplice" case. I hope there will be light in ep9-10.

I cried when BHS said "No! " I never feel the emotion" when he was asked by Do HaeSu and Jiwon was attentively listening. 

This drama makes all the emotions going active. I love this drama. :heartxoxo:

31 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Guys i am really curious the scene in front of the workshop...

What cha ji won means by they parted away and final gift from her???

Does she means its over for their love story? And only stay ad couple for eun ha sake?

Thats pain me when i am watching 

Hi chingu,  I think I agree with you about this. She also wanted to stay BHS as it is but she'll part ways with him in the future with the same situations as BHS, CJW and BEH. 

Plus the heartache she felt upon hearing what HeeSeong said while talking to his noona gave more additional pains in her. 

I just can't... :cries:

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, chickenchopflipflop83 said:

Like how the hell does jiwon manages to overhear everything at the swimming pool when she's standing so far away?

Hmmm. Maybe the tracking device she put in his watch also acts as a wire bug? No?

9 hours ago, chickenchopflipflop83 said:

And what's with showing dhs suffering from chest pain and then showing us he is OK all of a sudden?

A panic attack? He had the chest pain in episode 7 and recovered really quickly.

• Like 8

flower of evil are perfect drama for this such beautiful couple,..the director and writer really love them paired and also for real..i miss them already,..hoping lots of interviews and photoshoot ,..awards and popularity,..

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Erika Song said:
  • Most people diagnosed with ASPD are unable to feel remorse or guilt.
  • They may lack empathy and struggle to understand emotions of other people. 

The writer has shown us this about DHS since episode 1.

a)The empathy bit -The kindergarten incident with baby Eun Ha.He cant understand why Cha Ji Won was mad at him.She had to spell it out for him.Even baby Eun Ha had to explain to him why she was mad when they were eating the egg tarts at the cafe. The hospital scene in episode 6 when Cha Ji Won hugged him after he regain consciousness.Again, when he dryly told her to go home and get some rest. The latest one, his reunion scene with big sis.Sis was crying her eyes out.He just stood there blankly and said, how have you been?This is a blood sister he hasnt seen in over a decade.There are many more examples.

b)The remorse bit. He also has verbal diarrhoea(its not limited to people with mental illness).The habit of speaking without thinking of the impact of the words you are saying.This is what has hurt and broken Cha Ji Won. See what big sis said;

a5b7d028020aca40a202cfb8fd93f0aa5646b003

293e00b8c0f874319d14294a7be31a11d9b31025

0c2d929b7b7c7562ed873a35e59576ba43ad6d29

What I understood from this is. She is saying little bro, what does your heart want? When you have an idea of what your heart wants, take time to think about it, and then speak. Once his heart, brain and mouth are in synergy.He will be able to communicate better. That to me is where his healing begins.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Guys i am really curious the scene in front of the workshop...

What cha ji won means by they parted away and final gift from her???

Does she means its over for their love story? And only stay ad couple for eun ha sake?

Thats pain me when i am watching 

I think she means it as when she's done with the case, she's going to stay silent about him being Do Hyunsu and that's is her final gift and for the sake of their daughter. As the "part ways" part, I think she's going to break off the marriage, we can see she's taking off her wedding ring.

I really hope that's not the case though:bawling:

If we're thinking about the ending, and the happy one, I think Haesu will have a talk with Jiwon, telling her that Hyunsu is actually really love her and that he changed because of her.

And I really want Hyunsu to pursue Jiwon later, to gain her trust back, you know, for saying he doesn't love her. That's real hurt my dear, to the point that your wife HESITATE to ask you whether you love her or not.

Srsly tho, one of them just needs to confront one another and investigate together and make a sister for Eunha and have a happy ending:Cornykiss:

17 hours ago, Madu Mita said:

• Like 9
  • Love 1

5 REASONS WHY "FLOWER OF EVIL" IS THE NEXT PSYCHO THRILLER YOU SHOULD WATCH

Karen Jane Ng

Posted at August 21, 2020

Trust us when we say Korean dramas never disappoint in psychological thriller genre. For proof, we have Strangers From Hell, Hello Monster, Save Me, and Extracurricular among the best ones. And, the latest addition to the list A.K.A. our current obsession is Flower of Evil. It's about a craftsman and an alleged serial killer with anti-social personality disorder (Lee Joon Gi) who hides his past under a new identity as a perfect husband to a detective (Moon Chae Won.)

If the plot intrigues you, wait until we tell you the other reasons why you should prioritize it on your must-watch list. Here you go:

1. Episode endings are real cliffhangers. As you all know, K-dramas are unpredictable—much more for Flower of Evil whose storyline is very new to our ears. We have no idea what's going to happen next and then comes the twisted final scene of an episode leaving us gripping on our seats and holding our breaths. It's frustrating as it only airs twice every week, but, at the same, keep us waiting for more.

Spoiler

1ca9b01a74c5146bbac7817d9e8b8c22bf942b59

2. Pacing is fast and smart. Despite it leaving us hanging every chance it gets, here's what's good: It's a fast-paced story but not so much that it looks rush hence creating loopholes. It's just enough to answer one question after another and later making new smart turns to set us once again in confusion and refrain us from jumping to conclusions.

Spoiler

1319658e63ce7408884fdbe8a51a1bd8dac05954

3. You'll fear and pity the villanous protagonist. Joon Gi plays psychopath Baek Hee Sung in the drama and the role is one to be scared of. He lacks emotions, is impulsive, and has a delinquent tendency. Who knows what he can do or who he's going to kill? But the series give us insight into his head and his past making you understand where he's coming from.

lee-joon-gi-flower-of-evil3.gif?resize=6

4. Female lead is not weak. Chae Won's character as Cha Jiwon is being deceived by now-husband Hee Sung. She loves and trusts him as he comes off as an ideal partner. But credits to Jiwon for not letting that stop her from thinking, being suspicious, and getting into action. We stan a woman with a mind of her own. We won't be surprised if she gets ahead of Hee Sung in the next episodes.

moon-chae-won-lee-ju-yeon-flower-of-evil

5. It's not your ordinary romance. Yep, there's still the touch of romance and we can't overlook that considering the onscreen chemistry of Chae Won and Joon Gi and their characters' touching backstory. However, what keeps the couple unconventionally interesting is how they're going to keep the smile while facing each other and how they're going to handle the truth behind each other's back. Is it possible for them to get a happy ending?

7270b9dd62825cb784ca052a5b9635250a2a3e51

Stop wasting your time thinking what K-drama to watch next. This is a sign. Watch Flower of Evil now while the thrill is just getting started.

Source: https://myx.abs-cbn.com/features/25793/reasons-why-flower-of-evil-is-the-next-psycho-th

• Like 12
  • Love 1

just a random thought: 

what if Ji-won is also involved here? that'd be a huge plot twist. we don't even know much about her "dark" past and her father. the way the story is progressing, they're making us suspect everyone but her. i'd not say she's the killer or anything because that'd be a bit too far-fetched but there's definitely more to her story and character. and she sometimes gives off that dark aura...:whytho:

considering how fast-paced the drama is, they'd probably reveal more of her background in the second half and maybe that'd be some sort of plot twist?! it'd be really cool, in my opinion. but of course, it should make some sense. and it's not impossible considering how unpredictable the drama is. 

her phone's wallpaper might also indicate something!! also, someone in twitter pointed out that the drama is titled "evil flower" and "flower" is often associated with females?! idk lol.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, smartiegal said:

Now watching episode 8 and honestly this episode is what I needed after getting overloaded with episode 7.

So the real BHS finished his enlistment and usually enlisted men are required to undergo the Military Reserve Training as reservists after they finish their service (if I'm not mistaken it's months after). I hope somebody can translate the document. Upon checking the date, the talk happened during fall season and in that same period, real BHS has to go in for the training. DHS is quite good in asking the right questions. I must say the accident that happened occurred in most critical period (because changes happened) for Baek family.

Both Baek parents have fair share of their faults against their real son. However, it seems that Baek Man Woo is the one who has a lot of dirt in their family because of the ambition for power and prestige.

I can seem to understand Do Hyun Soo's side especially when he emphasized that he does not know what love feels. Although it's devastating on Jiwon's part, I think that last line is essentially what she needs to hear at that moment. She fell in love with a man who needs therapy and time to process emotions properly.

I find it interesting that Do Hyun Soo just went to the door and finally face his wife as Do Hyun Soo. I think he finally follows Moo Jin's advice to him now. :lol:

In the preview, I think the scenes showing Do Min Seok are flashbacks. I think episode 9 will finally move even further for the mystery to be solved.

I think among everyone who understands Do Hyun Soo, his sister comes first. Then Kim Moo Jin comes second since the trio reunion talk was crucial for him to finally understand Do Hyun Soo. Cha Jiwon may be at the far end but who knows, Do Hae Soo will push her to be in the same rank as Kim Moo Jin too.

Was it confirmed that he went out and faced her as DHS? I thought he would makeup another lie in EP 9 and say he was just meeting up with his friend or something. 

• Like 4

Such a great drama and so much progress in the last two episodes. 

I absolutely love JW. She wants to solve the case and yet still has faith and trust in her husband. I think watching the videos and learning more about him allowed her to see things a bit more from his perspective. I felt so sad for her when DHS said he didn’t love her but I hope she understands that he does in fact love her, he just doesn’t know what love feels like even though he’s already living it. I thought it was great how she didn’t become spiteful though and instead put their child first and she knows how great of a father he is because their daughter absolutely adores him. She wants to give him his freedom as her last gift to him but I imagine they won’t need to break up once she realises that he does and has loved her all along. She has certainly lost trust in him but her love for him is very strong and once she learns more and realises why he gave up his old identity (i.e. to protect his big sister), I think she’ll be the one to protect and support him even more.

Poor DHS has had such a rough upbringing. It was terribly sad watching the videos of him when he was younger and seeing the flashbacks. He may have an anti social personality but he clearly does feel empathy because he didn’t hesitate to protect his big sister and I’m not sure how he could act like a completely different person for 14 years and shower his family with so much love and affection without them suspecting anything (particularly given he has a cop for a wife) without that good character just being a part of him. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been so distant if the villagers hadn’t treated him so badly. It’s easy to fall prey to how people perceive you to be when everyone’s words and opinions of you are so terrible and then you couple that in with him discovering his dad was a serial killer, him being anti social and bullied and you can see why he acted out sometimes.

I’m very glad that DHS’s big sister has told the reporter the truth too. This certainly makes the reporter even more of an ally now given he clearly has feelings for her too. It was as most of us predicted, that the village head attacked her and she murdered him in self defence. Such a terrible situation given the family had already been through hell and then this had to happen too. 

At this point I’m thinking BHS is the accomplice and the voice on the phone is BMW. Perhaps he knew what his son was doing but tried to cover it up because he was more worried about his own reputation. Possible he even followed his son and happened to see the witness and he became worried his son would get caught so he phoned the witness on his own accord. I’m not sure how the son became so unwell unless he already had an ongoing illness.

I do wonder what DHS’s dad did to help the accomplice though and if it is BHS, then I wonder if DHS’s dad showed him some sort of kindness because his parents clearly seem rather troubled. I am also starting to wonder if DHS’s dad was even a serial killer and if he was framed. If BHS were the actual serial killer and there is no accomplice at all then it could be possible that DHS’s dad was murdered and framed so BHS wouldn’t get discovered because a witness spotted him and it was BMW who planned it all to save his son and his reputation?? Wouldn’t be surprised if BMW then gave his son the keychain to give to DHS’s sister so it would end up in DHS’s hands to throw off any scent connected to the Baek family. It was probably perfect timing that they ran into DHS so they could use him too, that way they can keep him under their nose so their plan doesn’t go astray. 

My mind is literally racing with possible theories lol I think overall I’m just glad that JW knows DHS is looking for the real accomplice and that she is going to invest her time in solving the case so her team take their focus off DHS and to clear his name. I’m also glad that she is helping him without him knowing and even against her own better judgement. Seems like she knows deep down that he isn’t a murderer so I’m really looking forward to her finding out that he didn’t murder the village head too. 

I’ve got to give props to the acting too cos everyone is doing a superb job and I’m absolutely loving the sweet scenes of DHS and his sweet little girl. Very excited for the next episode!

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

@violina Thanks for adding more insights on the rings being focused on in ep 7. Totally agree IF he made the rings. But since he is a craftsman and they look handmade it is highly likely ML made them.

I have not watched ep 8 yet, I was planning to watch but due to lack of sleep I only watched 1 drama episode and then fell asleep after my class. So tonight I will have a few episodes of various dramas to catch up on.

Glad it is Friday too! Yesh!

@H0ney I agree I was so proud of him saying he did not kill the taxi driver thinking the fake dad would be happy. So suffice to say he did not give the desired response. True, to maintain an image and prestige if it was leaked the fake son killed someone (not good for anyone). So if no crime was committed, then everything can stay status quo.

@armyta_ I second having Hae Su talk with Ji Won to better understand her hubby. Will we get that?! Not sure but that would be wonderful. HS nuna noticed her lil bro has changed for the better . He still has hardships expressing himself in some ways but others about his wife and daughter he shows affection and warmth where he had difficulty before. Love it

MJ from the video clips  of ep 8 were hilarious. But him swooning over his pal's nuna. I mean she is gorgeous. 

But glad he stood up to HS in he is not his lackey anymore. I still felt it was cute he was swooning over her and saying why are you so pretty?! Then stand up and spout nonsense he doesn't mean --this is working relationship only and after this we will no longer meet up. He was sounding so deflated when HS nuna immediately agreed. Ugh dude you asked for it! LOL. They want your help, why would they disagree with you?

Anyways TGIF and back to work for me it is only 11am EST. Sigh a ways til go before I get off work.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1. This drama make me crazy. Wednesday pleasecome faster. 

2.Detective Choi intuition is brilliant. He guess that Do Hyun Su maybe meet accomplice without he know it. 

3.stop lying both of you CJW and DHs

4. many other character like Baek Man Wo.who's the owner of white handphone (similar to Jung Min Soek handphone) and who he wanna call before he got SMS from his maid

5.Gong Mi Ja .she keep painful in her life . She start like Eunha. 

6.Who is BHS? Why he is coma for long time. When his car hit DHs, he still healthy. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

1) Okay I'm going to say something very unpopular on the forum: I think ML and FL should break up for good. That's the best and clean break for FL (especially since this guy lied, and didn't even love her, so everything that was built between them was a lie) and she can see a mutually happy normal future with Det. Choi who is a real sweetheart. Also, this will allow ML to die / sacrifice himself as BHS honorably without his daughter living with the stigma of his double identity / serial killer / accomplice whatever legacy. 

I think that will be a good happy ending for all parties concerned. (Moo-Jin can ride off into the sunset with the creepy traumatized sister).

But I have zero sympathy for ML. Am I the only one who wants to punch him? 

2) The 'Accomplice': The capped person at the funeral had hands and body of a woman, so frankly my guess is that this was Mi-Sook who was helped to escape her control-freak cab-driver husband Park by ML's father. I think she came to pay her respects at his 'suicide' funeral and was crying for real, because she was indebted to him, but couldn't expose her identity because she was afraid of her husband. This logically explains the fish key ring going from her to the daughter and then son, and the fact when she says to daughter 'your father helped me once.'

3) The real accomplice / serial killer: is the village doctor Dr. Lee Hyun-Suk (the actor who plays him never appears for just a single scene in any drama) and it would explain the 'suicide' of ML's father (really murdered by this doctor to make it seem suicide) and plenty of bodies that no one has been able to find to date, because the doctor has the perfect cover.   

4) Unless ML was the accomplice all along. I think people are mixing anti-social personality disorder with schizoid and split personality disorder - and feeling sorry for him! - all 3 are different things. And whatever the disorder, ML has done nothing for anyone else except using people (especially a girl who loved him wholeheartedly) just so that he could have a perfect cover and 'normal life'. Where's his gratitude for that life? I hope FL punches him (which she won't, but they are headed for a break-up).

5) I did not like FL destroying the important evidence of tape recorder (no one knows who is humming, his mother or some caged woman!). That was bad and highly unprofessional and doesn't solve anything. 

FL has acted the role out of the park but is acting illogically. ML is a very good actor, is more thin than heroines in dramas! And I want to punch him.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

After watching the episodes, I have a theory :glasses: Sorry for long post.. just want to try building possible yet crazy theory..I luuv this drama so much, that I even bother to make some theories..lol.  I luuv DHS (and LJK mature handsomeness), love the strong woman CJW, love baby Eun Ha, funny KMJ and lovable Noona..like the connection between the mother in laws...etc...and also they give me Kim Ji Hoon (long time not see you...)

So many mysteries..fast pacing..good storytelling, good acting ...wow

Snce the first case, the director and writer tend to mislead us as well as give thought or reasoning for CJW. Remember the child case and the social worker cases. In the beginning, they make us think that the other people were the killer. But in the end, the most unthinkable person is the doer. The child case give thought to CJW that will she open the truth to find unhappyness for a whole family or keep the secret although it will make her unhappy feeling.

I watch the episodes and I think how about if DMS is not the perpetrator. DHS has been detected with ASPD syndrome and from the investigative document, we got hint that the crafting is one of the method to treat him and his father was being close to him in this cure.  Yes, we got DMS past scene in the latest episodes. And in the rabbit scene, the writer wants to lead us that his father teach DHS with cruel things. But we must remember the scene in the head of village warehouse, where in the beginning, we could see DHS held the knife and said he feels good. However in the 8 episode, we can see the whole of his sentences and understand the real scene. So how about the rabbit scene is also misleading hint, and they will present us the full scene in later episode.

Then I watch closely of the accomplice figure.. We are sure that he was not DHS..is he his noona?? hmm.. I don't think so, because DHS and his noona share the same story, in the warehouse as well as in the funeral scene..

Based on the hints, we know that DHS maybe acquainted with the the murder accomplice. The accomplice use DMS's car and DHS feels familiar with the place of where the phone calling happen.

When I watch the figure, I have a feeling that maybe he is not he. Noona said that his voice is soo tender.. and I saw the hair is just like bend under the hat. And many of the victims were women so it is possible to harm them (power struggle things). And also the recorded voice was surely not the real voice.

My theory: it is DHS mother lol :)

We never get glimpse about his mother..and how about if the real psycho is his mother..Poor DMS, he was misunderstood in whole drama...ommo....it should be a drama

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7

So now we know the sound of the tape is 

Spoiler

The sound of an ice pick hitting ice. Hmm I am interested, but am also thinking they're gonna make a huge detour with this employment agency only to lead us back to the real Baek hee sung. 

Theory, Baek hee sung works as a gangster for the employment agency, and he recruits socially desperate people so his father can harvest organs off them for his hospital. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 5