[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

Wow, so many awesome theories on this thread. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about this drama! :kiss_wink:

I finally got around to watching ep 4, and a lot of my suspicions seemed to gain more evidence, though there are still quite a few question marks.

I will place my "amateur detective" theories under a spoiler tag just in case someone doesn't want to read them... :joy:

Baek Hee Sung / Do Hyun Su

Spoiler
  • Ji Won and Eun Ha protect him from the hallucinations of his evil father. He needs his family in order to feel safe. That is why he isn't willing to give them up. He must really have had an awful childhood to end up in this state.
  • Despite his ASPD/psychopathic tendencies, he definitely feels some sort of love and protectiveness to his family. That became apparent in ep 4.
  • Is he a killer? It's too early to say - he clearly has an evil streak, but did he kill in a premeditated way or may he have killed by accident to protect himself or his sister? That remains to be seen....

Do Hae Su (Do Hyun Su's sister)

Spoiler
  • Ep 4 confirmed my theory that she also has a sordid past.
  • I am still convinced she was the person who killed the village foreman because the person with the bloody knife was wearing a skirt....
  • She cares for her little brother - is he protecting her and took the fall for her crime?
  • It's also possible that she killed their evil father as he kept grooming BHS/Do Hyun Su to become a killer (as we can see from his flashbacks). Sister and brother may even have killed their father together....?
  • I'm interested to see her connection to reporter Kim. For some reason he is giving me some funny vibes as well....

Ji Won (this character I actually find most interesting at the moment because she's certainly hiding something....)

Spoiler
  • So my current theory is that she potentially knew who Do Hyun Su/BHS was when she approached him.
    Was her father a victim of Do Min Seok.....? Or is she the daughter of the village foreman...?
    I think she wanted to find the killer and avenge the crime on a personal level, but maybe she fell in love with him in the process and started blocking and repressing her bad memories in order to cope with the situation?
    That's why she so blindly also believes in her husband.
  • One of the strongest clues to me was that she recognized Do Hae Su in the cafe directly....
  • She's two-faced like her MIL said - there are two sides to her - that's clear
  • It's going to be interesting to see her memories and emotions start resurfacing...

Ep 5 seems to open Pandora's box, and I am really looking forward for the melodrama to start.
Need to buy more tissues guys.... :criesariver:

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7

Agree with @hazelyeot and @partyon and some others who have mentioned that Ji Won is not who she seems to be. That statement of HS's "mom" also bothers me why she called her a two-faced and when she (Ji Won) herself said to HS that her life is a complicated one. As much as I am curious about HS's past, I am more invested on Ji Won's. 

As of now, I think HS is more of a sad character, imagine his childhood being bullied by Moo Jin and almost got killed by Nam Soon Kil and even having that personality disorder. I'm surprised he hasn't killed anyone yet at this point. I also wanna believe he didn't kill anyone... yet.. but if someone messes up with his "peace" and his family, he surely will.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Great theories here ladies!! Yes, something about Cha Ji Wons' past that we would like to know.

As for me, my theory about the real Baek Hee Sung as the killer is a bust! A guy in a coma cannot be a killer :facepalm:

I also am very curious about Do Hae Soo's character's past...what really happened between her, Do Hyun So and the village foreman. What if after that incident, with her brother gone and all...she's the real killer's accomplice :naughty: How come only the son of the serial killer is bullied by the village people and his classmates. It's as if she's a blindspot :rubchin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, bombshellchick1 said:

Great theories here ladies!! Yes, something about Cha Ji Wons' past that we would like to know.

As for me, my theory about the real Baek Hee Sung as the killer is a bust! A guy in a coma cannot be a killer.

I also am very curious about Do Hae Soo's character's past...what really happened between her, Do Hyun So and the village foreman. What if after that incident, with her brother gone and all...she's the real killer's accomplice :naughty: How come only the son of the serial killer is bullied by the village people and his classmates. It's as if she's a blindspot.

Hide contents

Hide contents

sorry i pressed spoiler by accident...nothing there ok.

Edited by MinLyn
A gentle reminder not to quote reaction gifs in your posts. Thanks.
  • Like 11

13 hours ago, mystic62 said:
Spoiler

it seems that Ji Won will try to study his conditions.  After learning his secrets, it looked like she'll try to help Hee Seung dealing his traumas by going to his father workshop to confront his demons and learned the full truth of what happened.  Then all the sudden, he will be under his father's influence as he slowly comes towards her with his pleading eyes and seized her throat while she didn't fight back nor run

Good observation!! They are wearing the same clothes from when they are standing in front of that abandoned place. Another scene I'm dying to see!

• Like 13
  • Awesome 1

img.gif

Dc

Flower of Evil Episode 4

This is the content I asked for. I knew I would like this show when I read the synopsis and they gave me this.

Spoiler

The detective female lead chases “the bad guy” without knowing that he is her husband.

Spoiler

They fight in the dark. He throws a blanket on her head so that she can’t see him. He does his best not to hurt her.

Spoiler

imageimageimage

When some things are about to fall down on her, he uses his body like a shelter so he gets hurt instead of her.

I watched the whole scene without blinking. I am not exaggerating.

It was soooo goood!

=====

https://twitter.com/jg_k_drama_417/status/1292626987400470537

• Like 10
  • Love 8

7 hours ago, Learry said:

They fight in the dark. He throws a blanket on her head so that she can’t see him. He does his best not to hurt her.

was great...and all the flashback scenes...yes there is true love and is so good to confirm that ...

• Like 9
  • Love 1

FOE topped the list of global word of mouth drama (last week August 3rd-9th) and managed to stay the same with 9.1 score (which is not easy to maintain)

img-1597060824462692d21208520b315418b97c

6 hours ago, Tuiwgn said:

Watching their bts is almost as good as watching the drama itself!

Hopefully tvN will release director cut dvd for this

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 6

I’m so glad I stumbled on this! I always watch dramas that are more on the romance scale but something about this caught my interest and then I just ended up binge watching the first 4 episodes. I almost wish I’d just waited till all the episodes came out but where’s the fun in that :lol: 

I’m thinking DHS’s sister murdered the village head but I feel like it was out of self defence (maybe he tried to attack her?) and DHS took the blame for it. He may have an anti social disorder but he does not seem evil to me at all, he more so seems as though he just plays to everyone’s predictions/ideals of him because he’s used to being bullied and being portrayed as an evil person so it’s like he’s just given up in a way and goes with it. His wife and daughter make him happy and he must have felt at some kind of peace with JW because she seems to have prevented his hallucinations of his father. 

Can I also just say that DHS’s dad is SO insanely creepy! His eyes and demeanour is just so so creepy, I can’t even describe it. No wonder DHS is so mentally conflicted. Did anyone else think there’s a possibility that his dad is still alive too and faked his death? But then again I guess he wouldn’t just be hiding given he’s a serial killer, he would have done something else by now.

Very interested to learn a bit more about the real BHD too. Seems as though he’s parents know about DHS’s real past hence the increased worry that they will get found out. I’m curious to know how they all fit into the story because it seems to be quiet omnious that they’ve kept their real son alive and hidden in the house all this time. 

I haven’t thought much about JW having more to her than meets the eye but am looking forward to watching her help her husband. I am really enjoying the flash backs of how their relationship progressed too.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

I think ML's ambiguity is what drives the drama forward - if he was shown as an outright cold blooded killer from the first episode, viewers would've lost interest and scolded the wife/detective for being dumb enough to be married to a serial killer for 10+ years, I think it is important for this illusion to be carried till the end for the drama to hold interest. And the actor is very good in displaying that ambiguity.

Right now, ML is coming across as just a guy with a serial killing father who wants to hide all the proverbial skeletons in his past and have a normal life with wife and kid - especially since he took the blame for a murder done by his sister - so FL's discovery of his double identity, fake identity and his actual past will fuel the drama for now. 

But ML has all the hallmarks of being a killer: he has a basement with lock and key, has strength to strangle / choke anyone to unconsciousness, lives a double life and has obviously picked a wife who doesn't ask questions and has her own dark past. That's classic BTK Killer profile (Dennis Rader) who was a church-going family man with a stable job! And I hope it is revealed in episode 15 as the ultimate plot twist that he did indeed kill many people just like his father and kills himself because he does not want his wife and daughter to live with the infamy of being associated with a murderer - like he had to.

FL picked ML because he was a quiet and good looking upcoming craftsmen / artist from a rich, well-placed family. She wants to hide her bad past and that's why all the revelations will be doubly shocking for her as the ultimate betrayal. And cherry on top will be if he turns out to be an actual present-day serial killer. But even if he doesn't, it will be okay. There's such a nice balance between the romance and tension and whodunnit. 

Moo-Jin has nine lives, is comic relief, but most probably will be killed off in some plot twist because he knew the truth about father's basement murders and said nothing. And in true k-drama style, he can't possible have his cake and eat it too (get the girl - sister, get approval - from the brother, and get fame - for exposing the truth, and live to tell the tale), can he? 

This is such a well-made show that my hopes are really high with this one maintaining the suspense and human elements till the end. Lawless Lawyer went off the rails after 8 episodes, so hopefully this drama will not suffer bad lazy writing after 8 episodes.

• Like 9

I just had a thought about why Baek family is helping Hyun Soo hiding his identity. Why on Earth would a wealthy and respected family hide a criminal and take care of their real son in secret? And then it hit me! 

I think by now we can assume one of the Baek family member hit Hyun Soo with a car that night. I don’t know how they managed to switch identities afterwards but I think the real Hee Sung had/has major health problems.

I’m talking about failing organs. I’m pretty sure Hyun Soo and Hee Sung are the exact blood type match and they both probably have a rare blood type or some anomaly and that’s why it was hard or impossible to find any suitable donor for Hee Sung. I think they made a “deal” with each other, Baek family will keep Hyun Soo safe and help him hide his past and identity in exchange for his organs when they’ll need them. It makes me sick just to think about but I’m afraid I’m right about this. The real Hee Sung has probably fallen in coma or is in a very serious condition that prevent them to operate on him. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 3
  • Insightful 2

Baek Hee Seung/Do Hyun Soo has such a mental endurance  to control himself after all these time to not be like his father and be a good family man to his family.  Despite their antagonized behaviors, his "mother" shows fondness towards him and Hee Seung seems to rely to her the most among his "parents" as he confides to her of the most recent events.  

He is at least a below the sociopath level since he shows hesitations to kill and he didn't came after those who have wronged him in the past like most sociopath killers who do.  He only retaliates when pushed too far or someone tried to harm his loved ones.  Despite his anti social behaviors and possible high aggressive scale, he at least does his best to forget his horrible ordeals to live his new live that he enjoys.  

Moo Jin obviously had not learned to deal with Hee Seung well despite his awareness of his conditions now and still tried to expose the killer everyone claimed that he is without regards for the sake of his career.   Moo Jin's link to the serial killings in his tapes would obviously shocked their whole village who knew him for a long time and the whole country who read his articles.   His lack of conscience would be his undoing in the future episodes.

I hope to see Ji Won talks about her past since she mentioned her past wasn't all nice before she met him.  She's a strong woman with good insight.  I can see a bit the disgusted face she made when she hear the villagers say they should have continue the exorcist on Do Hyun Soo during the interrogation.  She is currently someone who loves dangers and face them on with pride, but she didn't look someone who is judgmental towards the criminals as it seems she wanted to hear more about the person she's after like visiting his sister to learn more and not judging her caring for her little brother.   

I am happy to see a melodrama series dealing a matured married couple as leads.  The title meant the shadows that's been in HS's psyches for years and are slowly blooming as his past comes back to haunt him.  I'm glad that he is not like most criminals or sociopaths who would uses their spouses or family as cover or to look for their next target to hunt.  Her presence helped him calm the presence of his father's shadows as he said to Moo Jin.  

• Like 10

N3Zs77g.jpg

The little glimpse of Heesung and Jiwon waiting for Eunha, I find this so sweet.. makes me think of what he was thinking around that time, his reaction to the news, and how was like to hold his own baby for the first time, if anything changed from there (I think it did).

I hope we will see that in episodes to come. 

• Like 9

On 8/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Tuiwgn said:

No, you are not the only one:rolleyes: not only great complexion but a very smooth torso too:lol:

Totally agree!

as a matter of fact, great casting all and all. They even found a look alike for young BHS!

Me too!

and please please , don’t make us wait two years for another project!

@Tuiwgn hi hi IKR such a porcelain complexion i might say hahaha woah smooth torso yes indeed! he looks so young in this drama i wondered if he got botox of sorts? hehehe it's unbelievable it seems like he's forever young? lols

i also noticed that they're so good in finding a young BHS look-alike! mind you in other kdramas i've seen it's amazing how they do that ...finding a younger actor who resembles them so much! i'm just v impressed!! i can't wait to see ep 5 and yes i'm such a huge fan of BTS, speaking of which i shld check if there's one on YT i'm almost certain there shld be one by this time! i agree great casting too!

:hooray2:

• Like 8

Watch: “Flower Of Evil” Cast Describes The Drama, Shares What They Learned From Each Other, And More

Lee Joon Gi, Moon Chae Won, Jang Hee Jin, and Seo Hyun Woo sat down with Rakuten Viki for an exclusive interview and talked about their new drama “Flower of Evil”!

The tvN drama follows the story of Baek Hee Sung (played by Lee Joon Gi), a man who hides his past and pretends to love his wife Cha Ji Won (played by Moon Chae Won). As a detective, Cha Ji Won begins to grow suspicious of her husband, and the couple is ultimately forced to confront a dark truth they never wanted to face. Meanwhile, Jang Hee Jin plays Do Hae Soo, the daughter of a serial killer, and Seo Hyun Woo portrays reporter Kim Mu Jin.

In the interview, Lee Joon Gi described “Flower of Evil” as a story of “love and truth.” Moon Chae Won called the drama “unpredictable,” and Jang Hee Jin emphasized that the story will be full of suspense. Seo Hyun Woo added, “It’s also thrilling.”

flower-of-evil-interview-800x450.jpg

The cast then shared what they learned about each other while working together. Lee Joon Gi said, “Moon Chae Won’s energy and personality are the complete opposite of mine. She’s detailed, and she takes her work very seriously and carefully.”

He continued, “She makes up for the things that I lack and helps me see things that I hadn’t realized before.”

Moon Chae Won spoke highly of her co-star Jang Hee Jin, describing her as sweet and affectionate. “I’ve only filmed two scenes with Jang Hee Jin so far, but I can say that one of her strengths is that she’s warmhearted,” Moon Chae Won said.

flower-of-evil-interview-2-800x450.jpg

Jang Hee Jin praised her chemistry with Seo Hyun Woo. “I think it’s because Seo Hyun Woo does so well,” Jang Hee Jin said. “I’m getting a lot of help from him, and it’s an honor to work with a co-star like him.”

Next, Seo Hyun Woo described Lee Joon Gi as an “energizer.” He said, “Whenever Lee Joon Gi is on set, he always gives off positive energy.”

Lastly, the cast shared a message to their fans on Viki. Lee Joon Gi said, “I think we’re in hard times not only in Korea but around the world. All we can give you is a well-made drama, and we hope our drama can comfort viewers during these times.”

Source: soompi

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003613480

Translation of the article

Spoiler

In ‘Flower of Evil,’ Moon Chaewon starts doing something suspicious.

In tvN’s Wed/Thurs drama ‘Flower of Evil,’ there is a thrilling chase between Baek Heeseong (Lee Joongi), who changed his identity and hides his real identity as murder suspect Do Hyunsoo, and Cha Jiwon (Moon Chaewon), who is getting closer to her husband’s secret without realizing it.
The new stills grab our attention showing Jiwon opening the door to Heeseong’s workshop basement. As if to open a Pandora’s box, she stares down the stairs, with an anxiety on her face.
Above all, as Jiwon steps into that secret space, she has the look of ‘homicide detective,’ instead of ‘Heeseong’s loving wife,’ making viewers hold their breath. She has even put on gloves that she uses to investigate crime scenes. Viewers wonder what she is searching for in the dark.
In the previous episode, Jiwon had a violent confrontation with Do Hyunsoo, without knowing he’s her husband, and found the watch strap that belongs to Heeseong at the crime scene. It was the only kind of watch strap in the world because it was a birthday gift from Jiwon and bears the initials of Heeseong.
Tension mounts as we wonder if Jiwon, thrown into chaos, will start suspecting the link between Do Hyunsoo and Baek Heeseong.
tvN’s Wed/Thurs drama Flower of Evil is about Heeseong, who pretends to love, and Cha Jiwon, his wife who starts to doubt his identity, facing the truth they want to avoid. Their intense, emotional chase thriller continues in Episode 5, which airs on August 12 (Wed), at 10:50 pm.

Spoiler

2020081201000943800061341_20200811140512

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Junki is excellent in this role , as well. :wub:

I was most sorry for BHS,  when he talked to JW, and when  

she promised to arrest DHS.

Hee Sung was sad and asked what if DHS was not guilty.

After many years, he faces prejudice again.

I think JW is a smart detective and she will start investigating on her own.

3b0c7c4254b1445d9ed20c9399590976.jpg?x=b

WWW_08012020.jpg

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

‘Flower of Evil’ Seo Hyunwoo reveals 3 Exclusive Clues, keeping viewers guessing

source: https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=311&aid=0001186875

Translation of the article in the box

Spoiler

‘Flower of Evil’ has revealed exclusive clues that viewers should keep an eye on.
Reporter Kim Moojin (Seo Hyunsoo) from ‘Hanjoogan’ is here to share some clues with you:
# Is Do Hyunsoo, the real identity of Baek Heeseong, the killer?
Since he was singled out as the prime suspect in the ‘Gagyeong-ri village head murder’ 18 years ago and disappeared, Do Hyunsoo is still wanted. Kim Moojin interviewed the people who knew him, and they all considered Do Hyunsoo, the son of Do Minseok, the real killer of the Yeonju serial murder case, is his father’s accomplice or the same kind of monster as his father. Above all, Do Hyunsoo even declared he’s the one who killed the village head right in front of Moojin.
Moojin also says, “It is harder to find evidence that says Do Hyunsoo is not the killer.” However, he also wonders how much of all this is true, and what kind of plans Do Hyunsoo has in place, making viewers curious.
# 18-year-old secrets
The cases that have recently happened are closely tied to the Yeonju serial murders committed 18 years ago by Do Minseok. It also turned out Kim Moojin aided in the murder without realizing it was criminal. When Moojin brought his camcorder downstairs to Do Minseok’s basement, he recorded a scene that would prove Moojin was an accessory to the murder. What did he witness in the basement? And how did he end up involved in the crime?
# Golden carp phone chain
Park Gyungchun, the real killer of Nam Soongil, turned out to be the husband of Jung Misook, one of the victims in the murders committed by Do Minseok. The golden carp-engraved phone chain was what convinced Park Gyungchun that Do Hyunsoo was the accomplice of Do Minseok: because this chain is one of the pair that he and Jung Misook shared, and Do Hyunsoo owned the chain that had belonged to his wife even when his wife’s body had not been found yet.
However, a confused Do Hyunsoo had no idea who Nam Soongil or Jung Misook was

Spoiler

0001186875_001_20200811091019246.jpg?typ

• Like 5
  • Love 1