[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

7 hours ago, mulberry9 said:

Ep 1 rating: 3.4%

Ep 2 rating: 2.9% 

Sigh. So many complaints by Knetz about the time slot. It's too late that it is affecting the ratings. Most people couldn't stay that late on weekdays. 

Since before the drama airing, knetz had been complaining about the timeslot, but tvN decided not to change it even though they could LOL I mentioned this before here. They should've changed their Wed/Thur slot back to 9pm, since their thursday 9pm slot is empty, since Hospital Playlist ended.

Also, Wednesday/Thursday nights is when they air two super popular Trot/singing shows from TVChosun, that have crazy high ratings (yesterday, one of them got 20.8% ratings), that's why every drama in this day of the week is struggling... If you look naverTV after the drama ends, all you can see is trot performances! And Flower of Evil airs exaaaactly in their airtime (they go from 10pm~12:30)

• Like 7
  • Unamused 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, hazelyeot said:

Since before the drama airing, knetz had been complaining about the timeslot, but tvN decided not to change it even though they could LOL I mentioned this before here. They should've changed their Wed/Thur slot back to 9pm, since their thursday 9pm slot is empty, since Hospital Playlist ended.

Also, Wednesday/Thursday nights is when they air two super popular Trot/singing shows from TVChosun, that have crazy high ratings (yesterday, one of them got 20.8% ratings), that's why every drama in this day of the week is struggling... If you look naverTV after the drama ends, all you can see is trot performances! And Flower of Evil air exaaaactly in their airtime (they go from 10pm~12:30)

How I wish ratings can be higher for such an exciting drama!!  Its early days yet, praying  it will pick up , especially for LJG and MCW's sake, its their came back drama. FOE fighting!

The late night time slot could be because of the dark theme ...

Everyone in my household is out and I can have a quiet date with Episode 2 tonight. A happy weekend to all!:heartxoxo:

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Tuiwgn said:

How I wish ratings can be higher for such an exciting drama!!  Its early days yet, praying  it will pick up , especially for LJG and MCW's sake, its their came back drama. FOE fighting!

The late night time slot could be because of the dark theme ...

Everyone in my household is out and I can have a quiet date with Episode 2 tonight. A happy weekend to all!

The drama is good, so whatever the ratings are... We still get a great story. 

It could be because of the dark theme of the drama,

But knetizens unfortunately are still complaining...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hazelyeot said:

No idea what's in tvN's mind to air the drama that late when people had been complaining about it. This morning.. saw many were complaining on naver too. I'm not sure that it is possible for them to change the time slot now. It would be a miracle if they decided to do something about the time slot. I personally think we should keep asking them

The Trot show is still trending on naver now *sigh*. Hopefully the cast and crew won't get too disappointed with last night rating. 

I'm quite sure it's all due to the bad air time. Even up till now, FOE is still trending on 6th place. So there's def a high interest for the drama. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, mulberry9 said:

Sigh. So many complaints by Knetz about the time slot. It's too late that it is affecting the ratings. Most people couldn't stay that late on weekdays. 

Regardless rating, I like ep 2 better than ep 1. Specially when BHS throw away that doll to trash can. He secretly defended his daughter. Love dad and daughter relationship :sparklyeyes:

• Like 9

Just finished the first episode and WOW!  It’s just what I was expected. Someone with a dark past and mentally ill pretending to be this angellike husband ….. LOVE IT! 
 I haven’t watched the second but from all I have read here it seems that BHS is darker than I thought.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Cha Ji-won, isnt that the name of the male lead in 'Goodbye Mr Black', which MCW also starred in ?

@Prettysup Aha yeah, such a coincidence, 

Cha Ji Won is the ML

Swan/Baek Eun Young is MCW 

in good bye Mr Black! haha

They are literally from Cha and Baek family

• Like 5

The whole time I was feeling bad for BHS because of that school bullying and how his co-worker tried to kill him for money. He didn't even do anything to them but still they troubled him and wronged him and thought it is okay just because his dad is a criminal. But then the last scene happened. Still I don't want to believe that he is the killer just because of the raincoat that will be too.....easy :mellow: It's not his fault that his father is a serial killer or he is unable to feel emotions. Yes he is twisted but until now they haven't shown any no solid evidence that he is evil.

That scene when he was learning to smile was creepy. Those basement scenes were supposed to be scary but I found myself laughing. How KMJ was trembling with fear and BHS was just playing with him esp that "CJW is a police officer" and "I don't want to know" :lol:

I am loving the cute scenes of Eunha and her dad. They are so cute together. I sincerely hope that he genuinely loves(if it is possible for him) and cares for her. 

• Like 14

Finished watching  Episode  2  on Viki with 70% subbed . Lots of conversation missing :huh:but wow it’s getting better and better with no dull moments.

Spoiler

To me what daddy BHS said to his daughter after the incident at school- something about creating a good image , you can get away with doing bad things , but with a bad image even if you haven’t done anything, you become a suspect... hmmm  , worth pondering about...

5 hours ago, hazelyeot said:

The drama is good, so whatever the ratings are... We still get a great story. 

@hazelyeot, I don’t care about the ratings either - as long as the drama is good and worth my time I will watch it.

And anything with LJG in it I will watch:rolleyes:

However, I think all actors would like their work to have good ratings not only as a reward to their hard work but with it comes more opportunities as well, this is why I hope and pray ratings will go up in future episodes. Flower of Evil fighting!

• Like 9

I loled when he stole the doll that was funny. It's just a baseless thought crossed my mind but what if the sister was the killer with rain coat?! The killer was so skinny so it's either LJG or a woman or an actor we don't know yet. And BHS is trying to cover up for her as she assisted her father. Or it could be him and they're trying to give the fangirls a hope by not making it clear just to crush them later lol.

Most of dramas lately flopping. Kdrama is going through a slump?!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Seonhoyaa said:

I loled when he stole the doll that was funny. It's just a baseless thought crossed my mind but what if the sister was the killer with rain coat?! The killer was so skinny so it's either LJG or a woman or an actor we don't know yet. And BHS is trying to cover up for her as she assisted her father. Or it could be him and they're trying to give the fangirls a hope by not making it clear just to crush them later lol.

Most of dramas lately flopping. Kdrama is going through a slump?!

might be the sister id say or the dad... i dont know if i can wait for another week aaaaaaaa

https://www.streethuntcafe.com/forum/the-flower-of-evil/theories-1

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, Seonhoyaa said:

No way it's the dad. His current dad?! He's not that's skinny. His real dad is dead that's confirmed by the police.

:surprisedwut:

I quote this from that forum "I know the police confirmed that the real dad is dead but what if WHAT IF he is still alive and healthy?! and he kills people who tries to harm his son... nowadays prob easy to disappear and fake a death haha btw this is too early to make theories hmmm

https://www.streethuntcafe.com/forum/the-flower-of-evil/theories-1

you guys there are too many theories my head is spinning lololol

• Like 7

‘Flower Of Evil’ K-Thriller Delivers Monsters That Hide In Plain Sight

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Would you recognize evil if you were intimately acquainted with it? Maybe not. There are an infinite number of ways to be evil, many of them subtle, almost invisible, and being close to someone does not necessarily make a person objective. 

The edgy new thriller Flower of Evil was perhaps named after Baudelaire’s poem La Fleurs du Mal, which touches on how monsters can hide in plain sight. Discovering you cannot trust those closest to you constitutes one of the most chilling thriller plots. 

The tvN drama’s opening scene is so frightening that it could be a nightmare, but it might also be an omen. In this scene Baek Hee-sung, played by Lee Jun-ki, is submerged in water, drowning, and his wife, Cha Ji-won, played by Moon Chae-won, hesitates when deciding to rescue him.

That dramatic sequence segues into their daily life, where these characters are happily married and the parents of an adorable child. Hee-sung seems to be the perfect husband, kind, loving, attentive enough to make snacks for his daughter’s teachers, and supportive of his wife’s career as a detective.

Nothing troubles their idyllic marriage until they must interact with his caustic parents for dinner. After Ji-won leaves, the parents suggest that it might be problematic for Hee-sung to be married to a detective, given his past. 

Read the rest here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2020/07/30/flower-of-evil-k-thriller-delivers-monsters-that-hide-in-plain-sight/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I've only watched the first episode (my husband's watching with me and he's a "one episode a night" type... so primitive) but I really enjoyed it. Usually I don't bother with any form of fiction in the crime genre, as it's usually more focused on the crimes than the characters, but I feel like this will explore the characters and their backstories/relationship a lot. LJG was ovary-exploding adorable with the little girl but so chillingly cold at other times, which is a duality I was looking forward to seeing him portray; the way he talked about his wife was unsettling and I'm really curious to see the background on that marriage!

• Like 12
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, kehrite said:

I've only watched the first episode (my husband's watching with me and he's a "one episode a night" type... so primitive) but I really enjoyed it. Usually I don't bother with any form of fiction in the crime genre, as it's usually more focused on the crimes than the characters, but I feel like this will explore the characters and their backstories/relationship a lot. LJG was ovary-exploding adorable with the little girl but so chillingly cold at other times, which is a duality I was looking forward to seeing him portray; the way he talked about his wife was unsettling and I'm really curious to see the background on that marriage!

The director said it's more of a melodrama than any other genre so you're right. And your signature is so relatable. 

• Like 12

Ep 2 thoughts - much stronger episode 

Spoiler

Last episode, I said MCW shines - well in this episode, the show really show cases LJK’s strong performance. So it seems he doesn’t know how to express emotions or feelings. I like that it really shared a lot of information about the past and present to keep us invested. 

I also the show’s realistic portrayal of the various characters in a very multifaceted way too. Humans are complicated and complex like that. Like how the journalist himself isn’t so innocent.  

The whole children fighting scene makes me a bit sad because I have come across parents similar to the mom of the child with the doll. They enable their children to grow up with out respecting others and think they are entitled to do as they please without consequences. It’s really a disservice to their own child. I did like the scene a lot of BHS talking to his daughter - it clearly shows he has good intentions and care for her.

His remark re ‘reputation’ is a key theme here. There are many bad guys that get away without consequences because they seemly look normal or have ‘good’ reputation. Meanwhile BHS has suffered because the guilt by association automatically because his dad is a serial killer. The show is asking us to consider if being a killer is hereditary is also interesting.  I don’t think it is always the case but it depends on the specific circumstances. 

I didn’t like the murder case of the day. It was obvious that the woman did it. The writer is trying to tie her motive to kill base on annoyance or preying on the weak ——to remind Jiwon of these kind of ‘killers’. I did like that Jiwon knew the how to handle herself and recognize the manipulation. So it will important to see how Jiwon acts when she starts seriously to suspect BHS. I am annoyed at the hot headed male detective.  

The last scene is a bit confusing to me as I don’t think Jiwon is suspicious of him yet.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

9Pl7sl4.png

I'm really enjoying this drama. Every character has their layers...and they aren't all exposed right away. 

I was kind of worried just how the storyline would address

Spoiler

leaving the reporter alive in the basement. Also, I would think if you lived with someone for 3 years...and tried to stab them for money...you would remember their voice, even on the phone.  LOL <<kidding>> 

Now...kudos to the young actor portraying teenage Hee Sung. His voice and evil smile? SOOOOOOOOOOOO JG like. And scary. 

Also kudos to the young daughter...she is adorable and spunky. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:58 PM, mulberry9 said:

I was sad to hear the ratings dropped...and for Trot music???  :surprisedwut: Oh well...people might want some happy distractions during this COVID time.  

I really enjoy the Detective characters and their interplay.  The young one...I feel is going to have a pivotal role somehow. I did find it interesting

Spoiler

that he wasn't concerned upon hearing Ji-Won fighting in the bathroom.  And Ji-Won in that bathroom???  Holy intimidating! She has some scary tendencies as well.  

Now I'll spend a few days wondering who is the person in the rain coat.  I hope there are some twists coming up. 

• Like 14