[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

"(From) The Cursed (to) Stranger 2"  A summary of 2020 tvN dramas

Lee Ji-hyun = SPORTS CHOSUN

'Youth Record' (directed by Ahn Gil-ho / written by Ha Myung-hee / produced by Studio Dragon, Pan Entertainment) is a work that has already been gathering attention since Park Bo-gum and Park So-dam will appear. This work, which depicts the growing pains of youth, is said to be created in harmony by Ha Myung-hee, who wrote 'Doctors' and 'Temperature of Love', and Ahn Gil-ho, who directed the first season of 'Stranger' and 'Memories of the Alhambra'.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, Rafael Pascual said:

"(From) The Cursed (to) Stranger 2"  A summary of 2020 tvN dramas

Lee Ji-hyun = SPORTS CHOSUN

'Youth Record' (directed by Ahn Gil-ho / written by Ha Myung-hee / produced by Studio Dragon, Pan Entertainment) is a work that has already been gathering attention since Park Bo-gum and Park So-dam will appear. This work, which depicts the growing pains of youth, is said to be created in harmony by Ha Myung-hee, who wrote 'Doctors' and 'Temperature of Love', and Ahn Gil-ho, who directed the first season of 'Stranger' and 'Memories of the Alhambra'.

Oh no... I dropped all the kdramas that are mentioned after watching 1/3 of the entire series... so I'm a little doubtful with the script/ production but I like the 2 leads so I'll still give this a chance.

• Like 2

@beyaruth Yeah, same here. I've been to MyDramaList and let me tell ya, the negative reviews on either of Ha Myung Hee's drama are definitely warranted:skull:

I'm just crossing my fingers that scriptwriter doesn't destroy the characters she write half way through. The director relies on the script, so no complaints against Ahn Gil Ho. He isn't bad director.

I'm praying for my bb Sodam that she makes the right choice after big Oscars win. And this drama is going to air in July, so it's in the middle of Tokyo summer Olympics. Airing right at the beginning of summer Olympics may impact the drama's rating. 

But then again, there is coronavirus. Coronavirus is highly contagious and currently there is no vaccine. We don't know how this outbreak will impact Olympics or filming of the drama. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LULUNNA said:

@beyaruth Yeah, same here. I've been to MyDramaList and let me tell ya, the negative reviews on either of Ha Myung Hee's drama are definitely warranted:skull:

I'm just crossing my fingers that scriptwriter doesn't destroy the characters she write half way through. The director relies on the script, so no complaints against Ahn Gil Ho. He isn't bad director.

I'm praying for my bb Sodam that she makes the right choice after big Oscars win. And this drama is going to air in July, so it's in the middle of Tokyo summer Olympics. Airing right at the beginning of summer Olympics may impact the drama's rating. 

But then again, there is coronavirus. Coronavirus is highly contagious and currently there is no vaccine. We don't know how this outbreak will impact Olympics or filming of the drama. 

Even stars like Moon Chae Woon, Lee Joong Ki, Ha Ji Won, Jo In Sung and the likes couldn't pull the audience to watch a badly written series. While new comers with well written script become household name overnight. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

@beyaruth Exactly! It's true. Like, script is very important for Kdrama. It will either break you, or make you. 

Back when The Priests was a hit in Korea, Sodam was the critical darling of Chungmuro. But then after she took the flop drama like Beautiful Mind and C4K, her reputation took a hit. Thankfully, she focus on her indie movies and got back to her movies instead of dramas. Which was why she was a hit in Parasite.

But Kdramas are not like Kmovies, in which directors write their own movie. Not every scriptwriter can be like Bong Joon Ho, making it worldwide hit. 

So yeah, I completely agree with you that scripts' quality really make you or break you.

• Like 4

According to some tweets from Twitter, Youth Record completes the casting. 

Which I thought it's rather strange, they cast the mothers of two male character, but not the mother of the female character. Since there is no news about supporting female actress being cast, I assume Ha Myung Hee goes back to good ol' days of triangle love of 2 men fighting over 1 woman instead of nowadays rectangle love. I mean, usually in her dramas, she have 1 female antagonist who had to hate female protagonist only because of jealousy and petty reasons.

I will be very surprised if Ha Myung Hee doesn't pull out her usual triangle love trope in this drama. 

Also, if they are going to film the drama by March, is this gonna be pre-produced drama? The drama isn't going to air until July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LULUNNA said:

According to some tweets from Twitter, Youth Record completes the casting. 

Script reading will be on Feb. 21 so they really have to finalize the casting. Strange though because there are no news articles confirming the casting of Ha Hee Ra and Shin Ae Ra, just a positive review of the roles offered.

I agree with all of you that a good script is KEY. Really hoping for a great,  riveting, solid storyline.

• Like 3

@gumtaek Yeah, I thought it's rather strange too. There is no confirmation about supporting actresses, just rumors. 

I think this drama is really rushing for production. Idk is it b/c they are trying to make the broadcast date or what. I rarely pay attention to Kdrama production bts, but is it standard for kdrama to film early and then broadcast months later?

I thought only pre-produced drama does that in Korea.

• Like 1

@LULUNNA the drama is probably going to start filming in March and it takes around six months to finish filming, it makes sense they start early because of the law that prohibits working over 52 hours a week. It's pretty common of the supporting cast to not be revealed until after the photos and video from script reading come out, so I am not worried about it either. They are not in a rush, everything is just the way it works.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@aintnodrama It takes 6 months to finish filming Kdrama? Wow, that's a big difference compared to Korean movies. Pre-production is for Korean director, production designer, art designer etc to build up the setting and round up the cast/polishing the script. For actors/actresses, filming only takes 3 - 4 months max in production. Unless there is some reshooting involved, then the filming will extend a month or two. Actors/actresses are not involved majority of time in pre-production nor post-production at all. 

That's really long production time than I thought it would be for Korean drama. 

• Like 1

@gumtaek Here I thought that Park Bo Gum stans always update the info first in the thread, turns out I can get it fast too.:joy:

Park So Dam - Ahn Jung Ha Age 26

General summary: Wanting to be makeup artist. Diligent. Works her life from SKY university (Seoul National, Korea University or Yonsei) to big companies. Quits big company job after 3 years to become makeup artist. She brought a house with a loan. Fan of Sae Hye Joon since college after discovering him in magazine article (Park Bo gum's character).

In general, the summary for Sodam is very limited insight. Not much to say other than the new info about her being a fan of Sae during college. Idk, it turns out she is Sae Hye Joon's fangirl. 

Also, in consider of Byun Woo Seok's fans in this thread, I also translate his character bio.

Byun Woo Seok - Won Hae Hyo Age 26

General summary: Outgoing, playful, gentle. He has clear definition of likes and dislikes. He won't do anything he doesn't love. He likes a challenge and he fights to win. As an actor, he is often cast in multiple drama but never seem to get the success of the fame. He's rich, but he doesn't think much of his privilege. 

So BWS's character is pretty much the foil of PBG. PSD's character is mediator between these two. She works hard to achieve what she wants, but she also never seems to be happy with her life in white collared job. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

Crossing my finger that this is friendship oriented drama with zero romance. Sodam is good with chemistry acting, b/c she is just brilliant in acting. But for once, I really want to see friendship instead of usual Kdrama romance. 

Also, I have to say this, it seems that BWS's character is most interesting one. Man, I do not anticipate how Ha Myung Hee is going to write Sodammie's character in the drama. Right from the bio, the only interesting point is that she is a fangirl who quits big company job to pursue her dream. 

I hope she will write Sodammie's character more 3D than 2D. 

• Like 1