[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

I love the acting of Park Bo Gum even more than his pretty face and I would like to see him act in countless projects. Yet initially I did not understand his choice, now that more details emerge I am starting to be more interested in his new drama. A handsome actor like him must have struggled to make recognize his talent, here I think he will have no difficulty getting into the character.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, LULUNNA said:

But for once, I really want to see friendship instead of usual Kdrama romance. 

I don't think only a friendship, although beautiful, can appeal to the highest rating, the Kdrama romance is always the most popular, even if I loved the character of Min in Hello Monster and I would not mind seeing Bo Gum in the future like a bad boy

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@Dreams I know Misaeng has high rating at tvN and it has no romance. So does Signal (tvN), Secret Forest (tvN). But this is Ha Myung Hee we are talking about. I'm 99% sure that there will be romance involved and it will be like PBG x PSD x BWS. Hell, she already set it up with PSD's character being PBG's fan. And the fact that BWS's character is also ambitious and the type who knows what he wants, he probably chases after PSD's character who, in the bio, says no on marriage.

Although I want to see friendship instead of romance, I know Ha Myung Hee's writing style. She is cliche romance scriptwriter. 

Until miracle happens upon Ha Myung Hee, I doubt that she will write Sodammie's character with strong motivation or independence. 

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

On 2/19/2020 at 4:47 AM, LULUNNA said:

Crossing my finger that this is friendship oriented drama with zero romance.

What's wrong with romance? I like romance :blush: 

Park bogum always looks good with everyone. After Hyeri, He finally get paired with someone near his age again. 

HMW not that bad in term of romance. I love PSH and KRW chemistry in doctors. And for what I remember TOL created  buzz too. 

Tho I felt like the story will focus more about modeling. Let's see...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@rahma92 I think romance is overdone and cliche in Kdrama. Unless Kdrama decides go on fullblown Blue Valentine route of depicting how a pair of lover fall in love and then fall out of love by ending the marriage with a divorce paper, I think the trope Kdrama uses is cliche, often tedious. Especially in the writing of Ha Myung Hee. 

So yes, I prefer Kdrama with zero romance because real life is never about romance. It's about getting a job, getting yourself the money to buy a house and to eat, live your life with full happiness. Romance shouldn't ever be the focal point of the drama. It can be a part of it, but it is not the most important thing ever. 

The biggest criticism that I always have for romance Kdrama is that it depicts that romance and marriage are what defines a woman, but that's not true. Women can have motivation outside of romance, women can have dreams, women can and will work toward what they truly wants in life, women want success in life as well. When scriptwriter limits the women into 2D figures by trapping them in romance genre only to serve male character's purpose, then you takes away the woman's rights and freedom to do what they want to do.

That's my biggest problem with romance Kdrama. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, DreamCatcher2011 said:

Romance is not bad but hopefully it won't be a cliche one.

Romance is not bad, but it should never be the focal point of FEMALE CHARACTER. Period.

It's very infuriating and completely SEXIST when scriptwriter writes female character as plot device only to serve male character's purpose. Women are only serve as love interest in romance, nothing more nothing less. Whereas male characters are center of the story, and everything revolves around them. 

What this shows is that you are dehumanizing women as an object because you are treating women like a tool, not a human. 

Obviously, there are some societies in which misogyny is prevalent, and society teaches people from birth that women and men are not equal. But this is 21st century, and we shouldn't be tolerating sexist and misogynistic POV from scriptwriters that enforce this antiquated viewpoint. 

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1

When I watch a kdrama I do it to relax and to dream. I don't like the screams, the violence, the fighting or the sad stories that should be more close to reality. So I can't say I don't want romantic roles for Bogummy, he's my ideal romantic man, although I would also love him in different roles. It's true also that the women's image in rom-kdrama is mostly based on clichés (maybe with the exception of the Cha Soo Hyun in Encounter) she's usually a weak woman,  in love with an arrogant, strong man, usually a chabeol, which  is often played by actor unable to make the soul nuances. So I just hope the script will live up to the actors, but I know Bogummy and never and never will his character be banal and boring.

9 hours ago, LULUNNA said:

But this is 21st century, and we shouldn't be tolerating sexist and misogynistic POV from scriptwriters that enforce this antiquated viewpoint. 

I think that television products, especially the mass-produced ones, all have clichés, even in less male-dominated societies, the women are usually a sexual object. The writer can and must make the difference, the Drama Encounter full of poetry and art is a real example of how a kdrama can and must be high and in this point can  make a difference  from the more commercial productions. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

@Dreams I understand your point completely, because I watch movies for escapism so that I don't have to pay too much attention about politics. But writing romance doesn't mean you need to sacrifice a woman's individuality and life to serve the purpose of a man.

There are few Kdrama that are centered about women like WWW: Search. Romance only plays as subplot, but not the main plot. These are good.

I hope Ha Myung Hee can respect the female characters she write. But now that I've seen character bio of PSD, I am very doubtful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, gumtaek said:

Cast of Record of Youth: Fighting! 

@LULUNNA

My point of view now is to enjoy the drama without too many thoughts and prejudices :D.  

Spoiler

This drama has the strength of good actors who are not just a pretty face, don't be afraid and be confident! 

Bo Gum has always carefully chosen the script and I don't remember that women played a secondary role at his side, you will see that in this case too the role of the woman will be no less important than that of the man.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@Dreams Too late, since I'm the one who read/translated PSD's char. bio. Thoughts are already there, so I already set a low bar for this drama. As long as the rating doesn't go down to average 3% at tvN, I consider it as success.

But like others, if the script goes bad, people will stop watching this drama. It's normal. 

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Hello everyone. I'm a new fan of Sodam. Looking forward to watch her new drama with Bogum. :)

@LULUNNA

I'm not really a fan of romance myself, tho I still enjoy some rom-com dramas.

But I think maybe a good romance drama is what Sodam needs right now, to build her career and experience. We know that she's more of a movie actress than dramas. I've watched some of her major movies like Parasite, The Priests, The Silenced (none of them was about romance). But I've only watched C4K for her dramas, as she only has 3 dramas in her filmography until now. Top korean actors and actress usually has atleast 1-2 popular romance drama. So I simply think it's what she needs right now.

Tho I do agree with you that some romance dramas didn't have a strong portrayal of the female lead. We can only hope for a good writing then. I don't know much about people's opinion, but I think Sodam's character in C4K is good enough, and I hope her character in this drama can reach that kind of standard.

Anyway, if this doesn't become a success, Sodam can always go back to her movies with many kind of genres and characters. But with co-star like Bogum, I'm still optimistic for this drama. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Spoiler
11 hours ago, LULUNNA said:

As long as the rating doesn't go down to average 3% at tvN, I consider it as success.

Then all in all you are positive, since your expectations being so low, you can only be happy with its success :D. Kdramas without script and with bad actors had higher ratings. For me it will be successful if the story leaves me something and, trusting for Bo Gum, will be like this. 

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Reiz said:

But with co-star like Bogum, I'm still optimistic for this drama. :)

In fact, if you are a fan of So Dam you will be happy because acting with Bo Gum she will also have the opportunity to shine with her own light, he is also famous for his chemistry with the partners

@thank you @gumtaek, waiting others pics or vids of the first script reading

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, Dreams said:
  Hide contents

Then all in all you are positive, since your expectations being so low, you can only be happy with its success :D. Kdramas without script and with bad actors had higher ratings. For me it will be successful if the story leaves me something and, trusting for Bo Gum, will be like this. 

Hide contents

In fact, if you are a fan of So Dam you will be happy because acting with Bo Gum she will also have the opportunity to shine with her own light, he is also famous for his chemistry with the partners

@thank you @gumtaek, waiting others pics or vids of the first script reading

I always trust Bogum and his fan base in Korea and now that Sodam becomes more popular, I know her own fan base won't let her down. Fighting to this drama. :D

imho, just seeing Bogum and Sodam plus Wooseuk in one drama is a winning moment already. Let's keep on being POSITIVE. :lol:

BTW, ahhh,  today is the the script reading but no pictures or videos are being released yet but one article from JoyNews24. Can't wait to see the pics and videos. I want to see how Bogum and Sodam and Wooseuk will interact with each other. I want to see the chemistry. B)

On 2/21/2020 at 6:08 AM, Reiz said:

@LULUNNA

Anyway, if this doesn't become a success, Sodam can always go back to her movies with many kind of genres and characters. But with co-star like Bogum, I'm still optimistic for this drama. :)

You got it chingu!  That's the spirit. We just need to be OPTIMISTIC. Anyway,  our biases chose this wc means they saw a ray of sunshine in this drama.  If they see this why can't us. So let's spread POSITIVITY. These artists  have still a long way to go. They are still young and future is always promising for them especially for SoDam. She may conquer the hollywood in no time and for BoGum with his singing career. All the best for these celebrities.  :)

• Love 3
  • Insightful 1

@Reiz I know that very well, b/c she said that she took C4K for her resume in 2016. 

If this drama flops, it only hurts her reputation, not helping her reputation. That's what happened to her after C4K and BM. Both of them are flop dramas, and it didn't help her to move to better drama. 

As long as this drama doesn't flop in rating, I'm good. Even if the script turns s-h-i-t, I will be only watching her cuts and pretends this drama never happens. Delete it from memory. 

But if this drama flops in rating, then all hell breaks loose.

Luckily, Sodam still have her action movie Special Cargo coming out this year. 

• Unamused 1
  • Sad 1

@LULUNNA

Yeah, I know. Sodam's acting was amazing in C4K, she had great chemistry with all the actors, yet it still didn't succeed for many reasons. And then she had quite a long hiatus before making comeback with Parasite.

It's kinda risky for her to go back to dramas, but I still think it's what she needs right now. Bcus, well, with Parasite winning Oscars and other international awards, she has achieved the biggest dream in korean movie industry. All thats left for her is to conquer dramas as well. Before thinking about Hollywood ofc, lol. 

With Bogum, I think it's a risk worth taking for her. Most of his dramas had a great rating, probably he's one of the best actor that Sodam has ever paired with, in dramas so far. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1