[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

@autumnight: The point you raised has been on my mind since last night. When I watched Ep. 14's ending which fast forwarded to the break-up scene, my conclusion was that JH's break-up move was triggered by Lee Min Jae's words that her relationship with HJ will hit the latter hard and the surprise encounter with the reporter.

With the lengthier Ep. 15 break-up scene, we hear JH talked to HJ about how it made her think that all the instances where HJ apologized to her made her feel that HJ was having a hard time maintaining his relationship with her; another reason she is breaking up with him is that she doesn't want to be his emotional outlet anymore and wants to go back to her life before HJ.

This unsettled me. Correct me if I am wrong but to be an "emotional outlet"  to a person is lm becoming another person's "shock absorber" where the latter unloads to her all his angst, concerns, & negativity as a way of "release". Rewatching all the interactions between HJ & JH, this was not the case. Not even in the Baegot Hanul Park scene: When JH called HJ (learning from MJ about the foiled drama casting) HJ was reticent  to give JH a full-blown account of what happened about the failed drama casting and his painful confrontation with his father. HJ was not the type to unload his worries to JH. In fact, JH even called his attention to his trait of keeping things to himself when what she wanted him to do was to share his burden with her.

Objectively speaking, she was HH's emotional outlet, not HJ. This line of JH should have been directed to HH, not HJ.

I am not saying that HJ is faultless in the whole relationship issue: He was the first not to live up to his belief that one shouldn't say sorry in a love relationship; he failed to respond to text messages of JH; it was an oversight on his part not to have promptly alerted JH about Jia's interview with  reporter Suman (although I feel sorry toward HJ because he is the subject of people's misguided concern) not to mention Min Jae desperate attempt to refute HJ & JH's relationship through the article without HJ's permission and advising JH. Moreover JH who was scarred in childhood by her parents' divorce and failure to give her a loving upbringing, leaving her to fend for herself will find it difficult to keep a relationship with a boyfriend whom she hardly sees. For her, a sense of security requires the person's presence. HJ's meteoric rise to stardom made this difficult.

I remember JH saying that because of scar of her upbringing, in terms of love, she is an 8 or 9 (?) year-old child. I also recall how she prefers happiness and stability to falling in love,  being true to "Stable-Biased" personality.

Having said all these, is she breaking up with HJ for his sake, for her sake or both?

Despite this or rather even with this, I loved Episode 15. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

@autumnight: The point you raised has been on my mind since last night. When I watched Ep. 14's ending which fast forwarded to the break-up scene, my conclusion was that JH's break-up move was triggered by Lee Min Jae's words that her relationship with HJ will hit the latter hard and the surprise encounter with the reporter.

With the lengthier Ep. 15 break-up scene, we hear JH talked to HJ about how it made her think that all the instances where HJ apologized to her made her feel that HJ was having a hard time maintaining his relationship with her; another reason she is breaking up with him is that she doesn't want to be his emotional outlet anymore and wants to go back to her life before HJ.

This unsettled me. Correct me if I am wrong but to be an "emotional outlet"  to a person is lm becoming another person's "shock absorber" where the latter unloads to her all his angst, concerns, & negativity as a way of "release". Rewatching all the interactions between HJ & JH, this was not the case. Not even in the Baegot Hanul Park scene: When JH called HJ (learning from MJ about the foiled drama casting) HJ was reticent not to give JH a full-blown account of what happened about the failed drama casting and his painful confrontation with his father. HJ was not the type to unload his worries to JH. In fact, JH even called his attention to his trait of keeping things to himself when what she wanted him to do was to share his burden with her.

Objectively speaking, she was HH's emotional outlet, not HJ. This line of JH should have been directed to HH, not HJ.

I am not saying that HJ is faultless in the whole relationship issue: He was the first not to live up to his belief that one shouldn't say sorry in a love relationship; he failed to respond to text messages of JH; it was an oversight on his part not to have promptly alerted JH about Jia's interview with  reporter Suman (although I feel sorry toward HJ because he is the subject of people's misguided concern) not to mention Min Jae desperate attempt to refute HJ & JH's relationship through the article without HJ's permission and advising JH. Moreover JH who was scarred in childhood by her parents' divorce and failure to give her a loving upbringing, leaving her to fend for herself will find it difficult to keep a relationship with a boyfriend whom she hardly sees. For her, a sense of security requires the person's presence. HJ's meteoric rise to stardom made this difficult.

I remember JH saying that because of scar of her upbringing, in terms of love, she is an 8 or 9 (?) year-old child. I also recall how she prefers happiness and stability to falling in love,  being true to "Stable-Biased" personality.

Having said all these, is she breaking up with HJ for his sake, for her sake or both?

Despite this or rather even with this, I loved Episode 15. 

JH‘s mother is also the problem in the relationship. When she sees the card and the shoes, her response is terrible and crazy. On her mind, only money, money and money.

I think it is the reason that JH needs to keep chasing her dream until she success. She doesn’t want to live like her mom. Maybe she needs to be independent and shows her mom that she can be success not depends on others/man.

In the preview, why JH requests HJ remember every moment they are together? If they break up, REMEMBER is not healthy... 

Also... I am still waiting the bed scene.:lol:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

8 minutes ago, Badette Aguilar said:

@gumtaek, exactly my thought when Jung Ha said "emotional outlet". when, where and how did Hye Jun made her an emotional outlet?   i agree with you as well that it is more applicable to Hae Hyo.

could this possibly be a translation error?

It was the translation in the Netflix. I'll check @MinLyn's translation.

@gumtaek yes I agree with you 100% that it was HH who was using JH as an "emotional outlet" rather than HJ.

I think you are spot on about JH's stable-biased personality. There's a pattern of JH changing her mind when faced with troubles.

When she faced bullying from her senior in the salon, she decided to open up her own shop even though she was just promoted to designer and still didn't have a steady list of clients. Her father noted that she just did her life review (quitting job and buying house) recently. She said she didn't want to depend on HJ and HH for work, but she ended up taking a few referrals from HH because she had no clients. She said she would never ask HJ/HH to drive her, but ended up calling HH when she was stranded in the rain.

Now that her relationship with HJ is facing difficulty... This might sound harsh but watering the plant is easy, working out your relationship problem together is hard. HJ might have neglected JH (and all the things you listed), but I feel like JH put even less effort into the relationship. She also lied to HJ about her true feelings and kept seeing HH even though she suspected he might have a feeling for her. Lots of issues to work on here...

Lastly, I'm shocked that JH said what she said during the break up scene. Usually when people break up, they would soften the blow by saying things like "it's not you, it's me... ". But JH put all the blame on HJ. She immediately reminded HJ that he had been breaking his own words one after another. He was no longer the HJ she knew and that she felt burdened by this relationship. She stabbed him with so many sharp words, it's hard to believe that she's doing this for him.

So when HJ came to JH at the end and said he can't break up with her...   :emmm:

@Katy CJH's mom is easily the worst parent in this drama.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Joining your discussion  @gumtaek  @Katy C  @autumnight  @Badette Aguilar  I also got lost after hearing that statement from her. Tbh, i think it should be "emotional baggage" because she seemed to be feeling sad that HJ is struggling in being this "perfect" partner. He is always saying sorry because of the things that he cant do for her as her bf. In turn, she is letting him go so that he wouldnt feel the burdened when he cant do something for her.

• Like 3

Joining this discuss

58 minutes ago, blue_izce8 said:

Joining your discussion  @gumtaek  @Katy C  @autumnight  @Badette Aguilar  I also got lost after hearing that statement from her. Tbh, i think it should be "emotional baggage" because she seemed to be feeling sad that HJ is struggling in being this "perfect" partner. He is always saying sorry because of the things that he cant do for her as her bf. In turn, she is letting him go so that he wouldnt feel the burdened when he cant do something for her.

All of you guys echoed my thoughts..

Tbh ep15 is probably my least favorite in this series

the breakup came towards the end and all of us were pretty much still left hanging in three same state thst we were last week.. jh not agreeing to breakup was the main highlight fr me

Yes we got to see the what happened before breakup but still didn't explain correctly JH's main reason for breakup.. using the sorry reason seemed quite feeble imo..

As HJ pointed out in ep 14, JH doesn't like conflicts and would rather escape than sort it out!! Its actually JH who has a lot of emotional baggage than JH coz of her mom !! 

And the emotional outlet really seems odd! @blue_izce8 your point seems more logical and sensible!! Maybe it's a translation error!!

Also surprised that HJ just let her go without a word.. he was pbly too shocked??

The drama is about youth n I guess it will end with everyone entering their 30s..

HJ is already 28, he must complete military before 30.. so he is going to join military n be back in 2 yrs by which time JH would be established ( will we see her short hair that she is sporting in all interviews) ..n I guess they will just get back together???

I hope they really do talk out everything including HH and JHs mom..!!

I guess HH stopped visiting JH coz of his own problems?  The show showed HH spending a lot of time with JH but in ep 15 it's as if that never happened? 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, nikir said:

Joining this discuss

All of you guys echoed my thoughts..

Tbh ep15 is probably my least favorite in this series

the breakup came towards the end and all of us were pretty much still left hanging in three same state thst we were last week.. jh not agreeing to breakup was the main highlight fr me

Yes we got to see the what happened before breakup but still didn't explain correctly JH's main reason for breakup.. using the sorry reason seemed quite feeble imo..

As HJ pointed out in ep 14, JH doesn't like conflicts and would rather escape than sort it out!! Its actually JH who has a lot of emotional baggage than JH coz of her mom !! 

And the emotional outlet really seems odd! @blue_izce8 your point seems more logical and sensible!! Maybe it's a translation error!!

Also surprised that HJ just let her go without a word.. he was pbly too shocked??

The drama is about youth n I guess it will end with everyone entering their 30s..

HJ is already 28, he must complete military before 30.. so he is going to join military n be back in 2 yrs by which time JH would be established ( will we see her short hair that she is sporting in all interviews) ..n I guess they will just get back together???

I hope they really do talk out everything including HH and JHs mom..!!

I guess HH stopped visiting JH coz of his own problems?  The show showed HH spending a lot of time with JH but in ep 15 it's as if that never happened? 

JH does not like conflict and try to escape... So I feel happy when I see HJ looks like angry and walk towards JH in the last scene but it just hold few second only.:P 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Reading and enjoying all your insightful posts. Lest this becomes a blame game in relation to Jung Ha, I would like to credit her for reflecting on her mistakes. She confessed to HH that it was clearly a wrong judgment call for her to call HH during the rain scene and that she immediately regretted doing it and said so to HH. It seems she's very vulnerable when it rains and her loneliness on rainy days clouds her judgment. She is, after all, human, like all of us. She friendzones HH repeatedly even if sometimes she leads him on unknowingly which causes complications.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

“Emotional outlet” - hope there is something off in this translation (coz it do does often happens alot in Netflix airing kdramas) 

Am I the only one who is feeling so ?!

Or else it doesn’t make sense !

Jung ha: “ Everytime you say those words (you apologize), I donno why the first thought that runs into my mind is how hard it must be for you” ! 
(this is hw the translation is)

After this dialogue why should she say it like she don’t want to be his emotional outlet ?!

@autumnight @gumtaek

In my opinion what she meant must be that she don’t want her to be his emotional burdensome ! And someone who he always have to feel guilty and sorry for ! 

And moreover just like @Katy C said

5 hours ago, Katy C said:

I think it is the reason that JH needs to keep chasing her dream until she success. She doesn’t want to live like her mom. Maybe she needs to be independent and shows her mom that she can be success not depends on others/man.

Adds into the reason for breakup !

Jung Ha is not like any ordinary female lead cupid in love or fantasize her love relationship !

She wish to live in reality and she have lived in reality so far and that’s the reason she wants her love life to stand in reality ground ! 

And here is where Hye Jun differs where he wished to make her feel happy , free and enjoyable when he is dating her ! He wished to show her and make her feel only good things which all aren’t gonna happen always in reality ! 

Idealism & reality were never meant to be together !
One just set us bound to live in dreamworld while the other mould us to set out free from utopian world !
Facing reality might be harder 
But remember, 
It’s  better to get strike by the light to grow than staying under shade being dormant !

And here is what our couples gonna do 

they gonna head up high, move on, face reality ,
And LET THEMSELVES GROW ! 

AND AM DAMN SURE THEY WILL GET BACK TOGETHER ONCE EVERYTHING IS SORTED OUT (be it his military enlistment or she chasing her dream) 

Like I always say this couple doesn’t fantasize their relationship ,

*they learn reality through each other which makes them more understanding towards each other respecting each one’s principles  And that gonna make their relationship healthy and stable throughout their life !

(In hope to the viewers that - THEY ARE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER )

savetweetvid-Ej-Im0-YHUMAEMm-IX.gif

cr: to the owner 

• Like 6

Hi all! I think I may be able to explain this when Jung-Ha tells Hye-Jun why she does not want to be his emotional outlet anymore. As we recall in their earlier conversation when Hye-Jun has once shared with Jung-Ha that he feels there is no need for apology if you truly love the person. When Hye-Joon made this statement, I found it to be quite profound and relatable because this implies when two people are deeply in love with each other, there already lies within an unspoken understanding between them...

This is the reason why Jung-Ha has asked Hye-Joon if he still remembers what he has once told her that he would never apologize to the person whom he loves...Jung-Ha then reminds Hye-Joon to think back on the number of times that he has apologized to her...Upon hearing her words, Hye-Joon apologizes to Jung-Ha once again...This causes Jung-Ha to sigh as she says that every time when Hye-Joon apologizes to her, it only reminds her of how hard it must have been for him...She tells Hye-Joon that the Sa Hye-Joon whom she knows would always keep his words...

Hence, this has led Jung-Ha to tell Hye-Joon that she does not want to be his emotional outlet anymore...a person whom he always feels sorry for the many reasons he has already mentioned before. If we were to place ourselves in Jung-Ha's shoes, she feels that Hye-Joon is one person who always stands firm on the promises which he has made and she believes in him. When Hye-Joon keeps apologi.zing to her time and again she is left wondering if he still loves her as much as she loves him. Or is it all that is left in their relationship is about saying these words, "I'm sorry" and "Thank You" and often enough, these are words which you would normally say to a stranger or a mere acquaintance...

Actually, the term emotional outlet does not need to take on a negative connotation. It can also be defined as a way for a person to express his emotions. For example, writing can be a good form of emotional outlet for most people. 

Rather than having Hye-Joon keep apologizing incessantly to her because with his frequent apologies to her, she feels it's driving them further apart...To Jung-Ha, she would much prefer if Hye-Jun is able to connect with her on deeper grounds by sharing with her, his fears, worries and woes. Because she feels if Hye-Joon were able to confide in her about his troubles and difficulties he is faced with, this would inadvertently bring them closer together as they work on resolving these problems together...

Just sharing my two cents worth...:)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4