[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

44 minutes ago, Badette Aguilar said:

i  somehow agree with @Lan A's interpretation of Hye Jun's statement, "I should've held on to our beginning for little longer. At the time, I didn't know we'd end up like this".

i don't think it's a foreshadow of something bad to come but just an "at the moment" regret of something he think he should have done but did not. Just like when he said he should have turned around so that he could lock eyes with Jeong Ha. 

@gumtaek, i also believe there will be a happy ending. 

@Berou, i agree with you that Hye Jun's brother was conned

@Springmaiden, let's enjoy the drama without stress, 

At first I thought of it that way. But then after reading everyone's comments about the timeline was set back in 2018. I've changed my mind. Higher possibility that is his dialogue in the future recollecting of the past.:cries: so it means we're gonna have our hearts torn apart in the next few eps. Well, I'm prepared for the storm coming.

Edited by MinLyn
Please do not quote reaction gifs. Thanks.
  • Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Lol,  @LanA :sweat_smile: ... at first I thought also it was his feelings at that present time when he was walking away from Jeongha but I rewatched it and then I realized the voice over of Hyejoon is in the present or future timeline. The scene is in the past. Well, let's prepare ourselves for the worst that's coming. 

The year when they started dating is 2019 according to the HPV stamp. 

The three stamps of HPV vaccine. Chingudeul, kindly see the dates. 

The last date is the time they formally started dating. (If I'm not mistaken.) :)

Spoiler

IMG-20200924-181918.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

Aigoooo! Chingu @Sakurafairy what a careful sight you have!!!!! If they started dating in 2019, will we be able to see him after military?!

Waaah :( I feel like I won't be able to wait until next Monday and every Monday I'm feeling so tired due to work and my enjoy was this drama :heart:

I also started watching W: Two Worlds Apart the same time with ROY. Do you have any other suggestions? I finished IOTNBO this summer. Maybe the Nine Tailed Fox?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

The precious tear drop. 

@Yasemin Salturdóttir

Spoiler

Hello there Yasemin! Aside from our beloved drama ROY,  I just finished Flower of Evil and currently watching Stranger2. Gonna start Do You Like Brahms?  Mostly I'm watching movies on Netflix. :)

NAVER article:

'Today's Faces' in Youth Drama

Excerpt :

"Similar situations are repeated in Youth Records. Hye-jun, who wants to become an actor, is more hurt by the words of the world that ignore him than by the barriers of class. Hye-joon's words, "You can do well without competition by stepping on others," are dismissed as "deceptive."

Even his manager, who supports him, advises him to face the weight of reality. "If you're not born with anything, you have to live in poverty for the rest of your life. It's not getting better. I usually realize it after I' People in their 20s have a fantasy that they can dream and achieve. Smart kids even realize it in their 20s. Let's make more money than a dream we can't achieve." But Hye-jun's answer was also, like Park Sae-roi, "I'll keep what I want to protect."

Itaewon Class and Youth Records show that the only weapon left for young people who have little is self-esteem. The two dramas will likely be remembered for a long time as faces of actors shouting "I will live as myself" toward a world where they admonish them to pursue money rather than dream.

https://n.news.naver.com/article/032/0003034380

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

On 9/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, gumtaek said:

Good to see you in the thread, @hushhh. Always amused by your DP.:D 

Hide contents

I remember an actor in Hospital Playlist saying that PD Shin Won Ho leaves it to the actors' instinct to act out a scene, guiding more than directing. I don't know though if that applies to action scenes. I agree that it would be dangerous.

@gumtaek  Great to be here! It is good to have a series worth commenting on.

What else are you watching?

It is totally great to guide the actors through most of their performances. It is great way to work. However action scenes are a different beast.  Of course the actors themselves might be trained in stunt coordinating.  More that anything It is the idea of the series presenting spontaneity as the way fight scenes are done.

in the US, fight choreography and intimate scene choreography must be worked our carefully to prevent accidents and misunderstanding. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Park Bo-gum's Sorrow, Romance, and Connection in the "Record of Youth" Is Amazing.

The 6th episode of tvN's Mon-Tues drama "#RecordofYouth" was well-made "no matter how you slice it". If you watch it again, it's a great scene. The scene of Park Bo-gum being slapped on the cheek by his father who doesn't understand him and crying alone in the car, and the tears he shed while kissing Park So-dam (Park So-dam, who is kissing the situation), is amazing.

At the same time, Park Bo-gum fully captured the sorrows of youth (...) Park Bo-gum sobbing silently made viewers feel sad.

In the 6th episode, which was aired on the 22nd, Sa Hye Jun (played by Park Bo Gum), whose festering wound was ruptured due to his father Sa Young Nam  (played by Park Soo-young), was depicted. Park Bo-gum was in a state of mixed feelings because he failed to cast in a new drama. He went home alone after soothing his gloomy mood, but all he got was a yell from his father.

When his father found out that Hye Jun enrolled his grandfather in a modeling academy, his father suddenly got angry. "What's wrong with being like my grandfather," he said to his father, who insisted that Hye Jun's and that of his grandfather's pursuit of modelling were silly dreams, burst out the anger he has accumulated toward his father, "It's much better than being like you!"

His emotions, such as the sorrow of  always being compared to his older brother who was good at studying, and his the feeling of hurt toward his father who always thinks of his older brother, and the wounds he received from his father who dismisses his dream of becoming an actor as vain, exploded.

His anger toward his father drew sympathy from viewers and gave them extreme immersion. Not only that, but also the sorrowful tears he shed by himself added to this immersion.

In the broadcast on this day, Park Bo-gum showed off his emotional outbursts and anger, providing immersion, as well as expressing a solid emotional line with a great depth.

The brief kiss between Sa Hye-jun and Ahn Jung-ha gave excitement to another "heart attack" ending. The ending of Sa Hye-joon, who gave a narration during this scene, "Something magical happens when you fall in love with a woman," made viewers' hearts pound. The warm and fluttering comfort of that caress to a tired and exhausted heart added to moving the viewers' feelings.

At the same time, he also showed the "excitement" of a youth running toward his dream, wondering if he could see a hopeful future in the midst of the current bitter reality.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

Can someone please enlighten me on how JH saying she will let HJ knows bits by bits from her is interpreated as rejection of HJ's confession?

I really don't get it

My fav moments in Ep 6 are when HJ & JH talks about dating when he's about to leave and when he hold her hand walking her home. Their dialogs, the way they look at each other...my heart just melt

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

IMG-20200925-081124.jpg

IMG-20200925-081128.jpg

IMG-20200925-081129.jpg

Spoiler

IMG-20200925-081126.jpg

cr:tvN

@LanA

Spoiler

It is her way of saying to HJ "let's do this one step at a time". Although she jokes about "we are not that close yet".

Telling him all the family background  at that specific moment will be so heavy for both of them since it's a part of painful experience in the past. 

Although JH is insisting in her mind that she doesn't want to go on with what's next, her heart isn't. That's why when HJ said that's his interpretation is to do it slowly and question back JH, instead saying what she planned in her mind not to go on, the answer is the other way around. JH said "I like it."

Who can resist LOVE? 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
  • Awesome 2

On 9/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Sakurafairy said:

*** Do you use stunt coordinators?

Do you use stunt doubles?

Are actors' allowed to improvise during a fight scene?  Surefire way to endanger actors.

- 101% Yes they  are using stunt coordinators and stunt doubles. As far as I remember gumtaek posted that here about practicing a fight scene in an open area (a Twitter post by Kim Dong Hyun,  the reliable staff of ROY). They are keeping everything in secure but sometimes accidents really happen.

So to connect with Hyejoon's character as SuYeong - that hitting is really needed although it got so strong. Park Do Ha is the main character so he needed to stand out but he didn't able to control the throwing and Hyejoon also untimely turned back so he got hit. But I believe  irl that PDs are allowing the actors to do in some point some of their stunts to make it believable like how Kwak Dong Hyun hit so hard the butt of Choi MinSik as per the sunbae's request to hit him very hard in the movie New World according to his story when he guested in MLOB and the day after MinSik's couldn't move good since his bottom parts were in pain and blue colors. :D

This person is a very good stunt coordinator and mostly his company provides training and security in dramas and movies. I got to know him in one of the episodes of 2D1N. 

***Are actors allowed to leave the set wearing their costumes. How can Hye-Jun seem so unconcerned about the suit getting soaking wet if it didn't belong to him? 

---What I know about this is there are sponsored clothes that an actor needs to return after they use and there are that they can use already. The company gives them. That is what stylist Han Hye Yoon said in one of her shows/interviews and what I also remember from Kim SoYeon of Esteem Ent in The Boss in the Mirror K Ent show. 

Reveal hidden contents

Since hyejoon isn't that big in the industry so he doesn't have sponsor yet. So all the clothes/outfits are owned by him that even it got soaked in the rain it's still okay. 

***Are we to assume that he had a jacket we hadn't seen in his bag.The continuity at the top of the episode seemed a little sketchy as if there was explanation missing.

--- I think he was wearing the casual suit, the one he used when he changed his soaking suit. I think at that sweet moment, for me at least even if I have a jacket in the bag since the adrenaline is running so fast I can never think of any clothes or the rain pouring on me. I only want to finish my confession if I were Hyejoon. So thinking of this and that in that particular heavenly moment is unnecessary for me and I think it is also for the writer. :sweat_smile:

***Kissing (becoming a couple) this early in the drama almost guarantee a break up along the way to HEA.

---  breaking up and getting back to each other are part of relationships, it's unreal if there is no situation like that. 

*-**-brother gets scam

-grandpa becomes successful

These two for sure is a 90% that will happen in the drama. The process of how these events will take place is what I'm so excited to see. Hyejoon's high and mighty hyung and appa's reactions after the scam and haraboji's success story I love to see the final laugh of haraboji just to let his son knows that he is also a productive person. 

What I'm wondering about here is why he isn't using undershirt?  When he got soaked with rain water his back shown. Do you think without the inner shirt the longsleeve is fitter. Lol!  I think it fits so good to him without the inner shirt. :D

Thank you for so diligently responding to the questions.

Some of them were rhetorical.  More than being concerned about the actors in Record of Youth improvising their fight scenes, I was more concerned about how Record of Youth was portraying the Korean entertainment industry especially since in the past several actors have been injured doing stunts.

In some ways I felt some of the transitions at the top of the episode 6 were not graceful but required the audience to fill in the blank.  For instance Hye-Jun changed into a new outfit including shoes, that we had not seen before, but there was no notice that he was carrying a change of clothes with him.  Perhaps there was and I missed it.  It was weird since they seem to have been waiting for his suit jacket to stop dripping and then it was a none issue. Was sure if the new clothes was his own or if Jeong-Ha had loaned him.  Since they didn't spot light the moment, I assumed it was his own.

Great drama. 

Edited by MinLyn
Please do not quote pics in your posts. Thanks.
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1