[Drama 2020] Record of Youth / The Moment, 청춘기록

DreamCatcher2011

I have the same thoughts as @kehrite regarding Park Bo Gum’s acting. He brings in a different feel for each character he plays that makes the drama engaging. Not to mention, his facial expressions and the emotions in his eyes, that are very nuanced. I’ve seen him in 3 dramas so far, Reply 88, Encounter and Love in the Moonlight and all of the characters have their distinct differences. In this drama, he is more subdued and in a way, more mature than what he has previously played. Perhaps brought on by the hardship that his character has to go through. As for Park So Dam, I’ve only seen her in Parasite. And I like the laid back approach she brings to her role. I appreciate that there is none of the over indulgent acting some actresses do. I’m looking forward to see more of her acting prowess in this drama. 

The story is nothing extraordinary. If you’re looking for dramatic thrills and antics, this might not be for you. However, the story is something that most of us can relate to, which is what makes this drama engaging for me. I’m relieved to note that there won’t be any love triangle as confirmed by @gumtaek’s character chart. I think their friendship is what is more precious and their bond will be tested as things start to unravel. I suspect a rude awakening for Hae Hyo when he finds out what his Mom has been doing. She might not realize the damaging result of her actions and what a blow it will be for Hae Hyo. It will be interesting to see how Hye Joon and Hae Hyo deal with the adversities coming their way. 

I’m also liking the slow burn approach in Hye Joon and Jeong Ha’s relationship. I’m looking forward to how they transition their friendship into something more. 

I can’t wait for Monday’s episode. 

B067-A24-F-218-D-405-F-93-AB-D8-B988-EC8

• Love 3

Sharing my thoughts...

As I have mentioned earlier, upon the release of the character chart for ROY, I'm glad and heartened to know that there won't be a love triangle occurring among the 3 main leads. I feel that love triangles are often overly used and frequently played out in Kdramas  with the oh-so-familiar feelings of jealously, rivalry, angst, heartache and pain resulting from unrequited love wherein we can see friends becoming rivals and acquaintances turning out to be enemies who are constantly engaged in their own world of back-stabbing, schemes and downright malice in their attempt to capture the hearts of their so-called loved ones. Many a time, love triangles can make a drama appear to be cliche to the point of losing its originality.

It's definitely refreshing to see a drama which will not be delving on such love-entanglements. But rather, focusing on the realistic world as we can see how true-to-life the characters are as each is faced with their own problems and troubles. In spite of the difficulties which they encounter, they choose not to succumb under their misfortunes and impoverished circumstances. Neither will they be given in to temptation or pressure into doing something which is against their will. Being caught in between facing the reality and doing something practical to pay the bills or pursuing your passions in spite of all the odds and obstacles which you are likely to face from your loved ones in chasing your dreams. Hence, the reason why Hye-Joon sees dreams as a luxury for him to even harbour in the first place. 

Often enough, we see ourselves being compared to our peers and trying our best to live up to others' expectations of us including our loved ones. That we fail to see or rather be blinded to what is more important to us and all that we may hold close to our hearts. Choosing not to follow the norm but rather dare to do something different but is what we have always desired even if it's the path which is less travelled on.

P.S. A warm welcome to the ROY thread, @kehrite! Do drop by and spazz with us about the drama! :blush: Hehe... @gumtaek, I'm definitely looking forward to reading your wonderful insights too! :fullofhearts:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

That’s so true @gumtaek Bo Gum’s eyes can speak a thousand words. 

Oh no, Jeong Ha’s laptop spilled the beans! Her secret is out now. :omg: 

@MinLyn I love the insights you shared. And you’re so right about love triangles. They are so over rated nowadays. Esp when they’re being created just to create conflict between the characters. I’m glad they’re not going with that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Credit for analysis; https://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/view/?id=youthrecord&no=1296

The Rooftop Scene

525430-F6-976-A-4-BB8-8-D26-9-A57-CFD4-C

Credit: @touchthesky99

I was blown away by the analysis because it shows how brilliant the directing was of the scene. I am not particularly good at analyzing the setting in relation to the plot and reading it made me realize that I was missing a lot in terms of appreciating how it contributes to the drama narrative.

Hye Jun  went up the roof top alone.

Looks up at the sky...the high BLUE SKY.

Then turns his eyes toward the ground.

Under the sky where Hye-jun is, the reality is RED.

BLUE is so far away.

Beyond the tall buildings and rivers, the city sparkles blue.

The boundary between the sparkling BLUE city and this dark RED neighborhood denotes CLASS DIVISION or STRATIFICATION.

This place is under the sky of Seoul.

Against the red light behind Hye-jun's back here's where the narration begins: "Having  my own room and my house, I dreamed of having my own house by doing something I liked. I will reject the reality that won't give me what I want."

This is a thrilling and elaborate production. "I don't even have my own space under the sky."  Looking down at Seoul, which is divided into Gangnam and Gangbuk, Hyejun gave up his dream and decided to go to the the army. It depicts the background and reality of the younger generation being frustrated and deterred from their dreams

Consistently from the time of the release of the teaser, the meaning of the colour of the traffic lights drew a contrast between the HOPEFUL FUTURE OF BLUE (GO) and the RED LIGHT OF STATIONARY STOP

Background: Seoul's urban divisions: between the flashy modern district of Gangnam, whose name literally means "south of the river" and Gangbuk, meaning literally "north of the river", referring to the older area of Seoul that connotes tradition, narrow streets, and for some perhaps, the memories of a time when Korea was a much poorer and less glitzy place.

@touchthesky99, @MinLyn, @Jillia

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Thank you so much @gumtaek for translating and posting it here. I like the interpretation of the lights’ colors and the division of social spectrum. It gives so much meaning for Hye Jun and his aspirations. And I feel that most people can relate to that. Where life can sometimes feel like a constant struggle. I think for Hye Jun, the scene was more poignant because his goals are still out of reach despite many years of hard work. Just like the blue lights that he sees from afar that are seemingly close yet still not close enough. This scene was really well executed. :fullofhearts:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, touchthesky99 said:

I have the same thoughts as @kehrite regarding Park Bo Gum’s acting. He brings in a different feel for each character he plays that makes the drama engaging. Not to mention, his facial expressions and the emotions in his eyes, that are very nuanced.

I totally agree. Honestly, I think this is one of his best roles to date. I appreciate that he's playing a character that's real and grounded instead of an 'ideal boyfriend'. The character itself is very refreshing as well. His relationship with grandpa is absolutely beautiful. While Hye Jun loves him, it's another aspect of his life that drains him. He has no money, yet he's trying to support his grandpa. 

Park Bo Gum and Park So Dam are so good together. She's another very grounded actor and I'm rooting for her 100%.  I can't wait to see more of them. I hope we do have a romance in the end and they don't just remain friends in the end. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2