[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

I love all the bombs dropping even if many of us saw it coming:

1. Rona is alive!

2. Su-Ryeon is alive!

3. Rona's bio-dad is Yun-Cheol!

I once took a creative writing class and the professor told us that the trick to writing a successful soap opera is to make the twist obvious but make the viewer think that it wasn't, thereby tricking the viewer to believe that they're the only one who figured it out and making them feel smart. (This probably worked better before the internet.)

I still think it's soooo funny when Logan and Su-Ryeon are acting romantic. I mean, I ship them, but they also look super goofy together. :lol: Is it just me?

One thing this posh school Chung-A should do - make their trophies LESS SHARPER. Their trophies can slash throats and even pierce skull, apparently. Is it carved out of a giant diamond? Dang, smooth out those edges.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

44 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I love all the bombs dropping even if many of us saw it coming:

1. Rona is alive!

2. Su-Ryeon is alive!

3. Rona's bio-dad is Yun-Cheol!

I once took a creative writing class and the professor told us that the trick to writing a successful soap opera is to make the twist obvious but make the viewer think that it wasn't, thereby tricking the viewer to believe that they're the only one who figured it out and making them feel smart. (This probably worked better before the internet.)

I still think it's soooo funny when Logan and Su-Ryeon are acting romantic. I mean, I ship them, but they also look super goofy together. :lol: Is it just me?

The plot twits for Season 3 have to be more shocking now. The fake deaths and the birth secrets are no longer shocking. There's already the theory that JDT is not the birth father of the twins. Who the man that is with Na AeGyo? Is he the real father? What about the key? What did Mari's husband do that got himself into prison? Is EB's tutor more than just Logan's assistant? Is OYH really MSA's murderer?   

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

11 minutes ago, kboramint said:

The plot twits for Season 3 have to be more shocking now. The fake deaths and the birth secrets are no longer shocking. There's already the theory that JDT is not the birth father of the twins. Who the man that is with Na AeGyo? Is he the real father? What about the key? What did Mari's husband do that got himself into prison? Is EB's tutor more than just Logan's assistant? Is OYH really MSA's murderer?   

Agreed, season 3 will probably go out with a bang! I'm really excited tbh, I think ish is gonna hit the fan in the season 2 finale and season 3 will hit the ground running.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

Mari told JDT that her husband took the fall for him and went to prison in his place.  If I am not mistaken, it was for swindling. That was why JDT gave Mari the apartment.  She said her husband did it for the daughter. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, kboramint said:

Honestly, I think the writer never thought she would had to write a redemption arc for CSJ. The End game was supposed to be Episode 20 for CSJ. Where she is sent to prison for committing involuntary manslaughter. So, everything about her family has been retconned. Her mom and sister are suddenly the evil step mom and step sister that want to take away what her dad has given to her.       

Don’t think it was sudden. Even in Season 1, step sis was trying to take over the school. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Curlytop Asmr Lee said:

I'm surprised this is a SBS drama and not on cable like TVN. This is a violent drama I hated the scene with JDT whipping SJ and stabbing RN in the head. Did we really need to see all that?  I use to love this drama but it has now become a bit too over the top.

SBS is the king of violent makjang dramas. The Last Empress, and Giant were really violent as well and were really popular. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curlytop Asmr Lee said:

I'm surprised this is a SBS drama and not on cable like TVN. This is a violent drama I hated the scene with JDT whipping SJ and stabbing RN in the head. Did we really need to see all that?  I use to love this drama but it has now become a bit too over the top.

I mean, it's rated 19+ in SK and for a show to be rated so high in a place like Korea means that it's definitely either very sexual or very violent. By North American standards though, this level of violence is pretty tame. I guess it's more of a personal preference thing for many. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kboramint said:

SBS is the king of violent makjang dramas. The Last Empress, and Giant were really violent as well and were really popular. 

Speaking of The Last Empress (also from the same writer), it was impressive how Shin Sung Rok's acting (and perhaps the writing as well) managed to win over some fans to root for the Emperor as the series progressed. I keep on thinking, what if they pull that treatment on JDT for Season 3?:grimace: But nah, he has done too much damage for his character to be redeemed in the eyes of the viewers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, scribbledjunkie said:

Speaking of The Last Empress (also from the same writer), it was impressive how Shin Sung Rok's acting (and perhaps the writing as well) managed to win over some fans to root for the Emperor as the series progressed. I keep on thinking, what if they pull that treatment on JDT for Season 3?:grimace: But nah, he has done too much damage for his character to be redeemed in the eyes of the viewers.

Sorry to say but JDT is basically Empress Dowager Kang in this drama. Shim Sung Rok was suppose to play JDT though but dropped out. 

• Like 2

I think Seok Hoon was able to open JDT secret room because he got the finger with JDT fingerprint from YoonHee(she also told him about the elevator to the parking lot I’m guessing). In the scene where he rescues Seojin, he puts the finger in his pocket after opening the door. 
how evil is JDT to have a particular song he plays when abusing others?? He played the same one when beating SH in season 1. I love that SeoJin was still able to stand up to him when he was try to extort her with CA medical center. Good girl!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kboramint said:

Sorry to say but JDT is basically Empress Dowager Kang in this drama. Shim Sung Rok was suppose to play JDT though but dropped out. 

I would have loved to see him as Joo Dan Tae. But then again, I suppose he didn't want to be type casted playing such characters so I understand why he begged off. 

Speaking of comparisons, if JDT is the Empress Dowager here... then I suppose Seo Jin is the Emperor huh? Started out as a despicable character who suddenly goes through a personality shift midway through the series. And it's all tied to some childhood parental trauma!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

12 hours ago, scribbledjunkie said:

Speaking of comparisons, if JDT is the Empress Dowager here... then I suppose Seo Jin is the Emperor huh? Started out as a despicable character who suddenly goes through a personality shift midway through the series. And it's all tied to some childhood parental trauma!

Why yes, I like that comparison. Seo Jin would be like Lee Hyuk and also Min Yoo Ra. 

----

Also, I think in Season 3, we find out that Jin Boon Hong (EB's nanny) is the Seo Kang Hee of this drama.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, scribbledjunkie said:

I think it is also very much due to Shin  Sun Rok's acting skills.  JDT don't have SSR's charms! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, sonequeen01 said:

Yeah it would have been nice seeing SSR play psychopath again. And it would have been nice watching him smooch Kim So Yeon. 

If Shin Song Rok was cast in Penthouse then it would had been a "Return" reunion with Bong Tae-Gyu, Yoon Jong Hoon, and Yoo Joo Hee.  

• Like 1

OMFG we still have 12 eps in season 3.  JDT already wayyy too powerfull now, he still will for another 12 eps :blink:

In the preview seems SSR already got caught, Don't tell me that SSR will die again in last eps of S2 and back again on S3. .lol

• Like 4