[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

On 2/20/2021 at 12:51 AM, sonequeen01 said:

@airgelaalYep I think it's Rona as well

I thought it too, but maybe someone just took Ro Na's necklace and put it on the victim to make people think it's bae ro na the culprit. Actually, there was a scene where you see before the ceremony for the Cheon Ah trophy, Bae Ro Na saw Seokyung paying someone to make something for her. So at this point, if Bae Ro Na really fell then the first suspect is Seok Hyun. And if it follow this way, her twin brother will surely cover for her even if he loves Bae Ro Na since he might think that all of the disaster that happened to Bae Ro Na is his family's fault. 

Still, I hope it will be not Bae Ro Na, or that she will be hospitalised and will wake up months later to point out who pushed her. 

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote pics. Thanks !
  • Like 2

I know she is still a teenager but I hate SK. She always jumps to conclusions, is rash and violent and yells all the time. She hated SRY when she was alive and wouldn't aknowledge her as her mother. Now that shes dead she suddenly cares. Its too late. Give ppl their flowers while they still living. WHen they are gone its too late.  I love how CSJ is getting to her, SK has now met her match with CSJ and EB. SHe can't bully them.

• Like 7

Just saw the first ep. after all the hype, was kinda disappointing. Some parts was just boring. Hope the story improves.

dont quite care for love story of RN & SH. She is a victim but not a very nice one! And her Mom really is a murderer. 
however much they want to redeem YH’s character, she is a murderer. There must be justice for her victim & YH has to pay for her crime.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Curlytop Asmr Lee said:

I know she is still a teenager but I hate SK. She always jumps to conclusions, is rash and violent and yells all the time. She hated SRY when she was alive and wouldn't aknowledge her as her mother. Now that shes dead she suddenly cares. Its too late. Give ppl their flowers while they still living. WHen they are gone its too late.  I love how CSJ is getting to her, SK has now met her match with CSJ and EB. SHe can't bully them.

This, I feel the same. I absolutely hate Seok kyung and her behavior is absolutely inexcusable. I get that her mother died but she didn’t treat Suryeon well even when she was alive. Now she’s acting like she was best friends with Suryeon before she died and is sad. She lashes out at everyone and she treats everyone rudely. She’s projecting all her anger and issues into everyone and it seems the writer doesn’t want to develop her character. She is still the same and I do not see her changing anytime soon. She’s even going to become worse and is even bullying Jenny now along with Rona even though Rona’s life has been tougher these past 2 years and Yoon Hee has been cleared.

It annoys me when i go on social media and almost everyone is worshipping Seok kyung’s character as if she is such a great person but her character is someone anyone would hate in real life. 
I hope she changes soon and makes up for her ways, she has to pay for all the bullying she has done to Min seola, Rona, now Jenny and even the way she treated Suryeon plus all her cheating at school. 
I hope when Rona gets back to cheonga, she stands up for herself more this season and slaps her if Seok kyung does more stupid things. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

This, I feel the same. I absolutely hate Seok kyung and her behavior is absolutely inexcusable. I get that her mother died but she didn’t treat Suryeon well even when she was alive. Now she’s acting like she was best friends with Suryeon before she died and is sad.

I think the only person that can save Seok Kyung is for a certain dead person to come back.

23 minutes ago, Cassandra E. Bett said:

Are they hinting at a Ro Na/Logan romance cause I am definitely not on board with that. Dead or alive, Logan belongs to Su Ryeon, end of story.

No, they are not. I think someone is telling him to do all this. If you know who I mean? 

• Like 3

I have to agree and say that I don't really get the hype for Seok Hoon and Rona's romance either. As in it's a overused plot where misunderstood bad rich boy falls for the plucky poor forever punching up heroine- which I love- but I feel that Seok Hoon's character had the potential to be more interesting. Out of all the kids, he reads the most calculating and cold. He wasn't that invested in bullying SeolA until she made that ONE comment that caused him to snap. Feels like he got some of his dad's temper and emotional instability

Also, Rona has evolved but at  the same time, with a story as warped and fast moving as this, a sweet and pure romance between Seok Hoon and Rona which made Seok Hoon soften up, feels a bit misplaced and optimistic. Which doesn't fit the show's overall feel. Even Logan Lee and SR while on the side of good, had this EDGE to them - ruthlessness, intelligence etc.So give me a twisted and warped romance lol.

I'm glad that they are fleshing out the kids more- jenny getting bullied now(so basically, these wolf puppies will tear up their own the minute they smell weakness), Seok Kyung is a kite in the wind basically. Her brother no longer backs her up as before. Her stepmother is just as psychotic as her daughter. Although have to say, it's HILARIOUS that EB now has TWO stepsisters that hate her. 

SO now Yoon Hee got her voice back while SJ lost hers. And she got her exhusband as well lol. I know that it's sticking in SJ's craw because even though she got Dantae, She sees the Yoon Yoon couple and rages because they have lovey dovey feelings(or so she thinks) while Dantae while sultry, passionate with physical affection,  rich and powerful is fundamentally cold not unlike her HAHAH. 

Also, I may be mistaken but I think one of the reasons Dantae pounced on making Yoo Hee the scape goat is because she saw his weak side last season and that makes him uncomfortable and eager to dispose of this person. 

I'm abit sad that there's not much of Logan  Lee and Lee Jiah Ah but it feels like they are building up to the murder so that's good! need to have faith with the writers lol They had the balls to kill off SR so I feel like they can do anything to make the story keep on rolling

I have a feeling this time , one of the kids will be the killer . 

• Like 4

I don't know why people hate yoonhee. Yes she killed Min Seol Ah but she wasn't in a right state of mind. I see it as a mistake and i still have second thoughts about her being the killer. Also she never really wanted to kill Suryeon. Her avenging Suryeon is not her being guilty about wanting to kill her. It is oh yoon hee wanting to avenge the only friend that she had. Also all oh yoon hee wanted to do was to give rona a good life and let's not forget that rona was a spoilt brat who snapped at her mother for everything.

EUNBYEOL needs help.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Songbae said:

I don't know why people hate yoonhee. Yes she killed Min Seol Ah but she wasn't in a right state of mind. I see it as a mistake and i still have second thoughts about her being the killer. Also she never really wanted to kill Suryeon. Her avenging Suryeon is not her being guilty about wanting to kill her. It is oh yoon hee wanting to avenge the only friend that she had. Also all oh yoon hee wanted to do was to give rona a good life and let's not forget that rona was a spoilt brat who snapped at her mother for everything.

EUNBYEOL needs help.

I actually believed in Yun Hee before the revelations of EP16. And I still kinda believe in her. But you know, being drunk may excuse you in court to lighten the sentence, but the fact that you were the one who took away the tomorrows of this child with its limitless possibilities, especially while you are drunk, makes it much worse. Was her life only that much worth that it could be ended in a drunken stupor? You may have the Übermensch, or even the Mensch (cuz Yun Hee sees herself in Seol A to an extent), hindering you while you were sane and sober, but taking a life is inexcusable, drunk or not.

The moral 'nonsense' aside, what makes me personally hate her more is the fact that she was not even one bit apologetic towards Su Ryeon about it on her own. (Which made me start calling Yun Hee 'backstabby B') If she had apologized and repented and at the end, turned herself in to the police after all revenge is completed, then I would've somehow recognized it - doesn't mean it makes the murder lighter - you can't really murder someone in a drunken stupor, apologize and go on living your life!

Now that Su Ryeon is not here, I only have YH to rely on for revenge and despite her past, I hope she succeeds. I hope the patricidal diva gets what she deserves (now that concerning music, YH will become the puppetmaster and the diva will lose her influence, her daughter becoming a lot more bold and manipulative and has the leverage to blackmail her, etc. etc.) as does the psychopath (I wish Seok Kyung would overhear him declaring his joy over having successfully killed Su Ryeon and then things spiraling downward for him from that point on) and all others who deserve it.

I think Jenny had a good retribution. The whole Su Ryeon/Logan revenge plan made her think about their bullying more - leading her to side with innocent Ro Na for two whole years. I hope she stays that way. But Seok Kyung, Eun Byeul and Min Hyuk definitely need some sense beaten into them and more suffering, far more suffering.

And to Ro Na of the first season, I have no excuse for her - yes she has to endure a lot from her surrounding but it doesn't give her the right to snap at the only person who would stay at her side and support her no matter what. Maybe she has learnt her lesson at the start of Season 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sasha1818 said:

I don't really get the hype for Seok Hoon and Rona's romance either. As in it's a overused plot where misunderstood bad rich boy falls for the plucky poor forever punching up heroine

Exactly. I don’t find their arc interesting at all.

2 hours ago, Dddddddnnnnnnrrrrrrrr said:

It annoys me when i go on social media and almost everyone is worshipping Seok kyung’s character as if she is such a great person but her character is someone anyone would hate in real life. 

I don’t like either of the twins.

And honestly? Y’all treat Seok-Hun like he’s a god, but hate Rona as if she killed someone. You loveeee Jenny’s character development but still have a grudge against Rona and it’s very weird, it’s incredibly biased. I don’t get the immense hate for Rona at all. The only reason why you want her to stay alive is for a bland teen romance with the bad boy. Is that her only arc? Romance? She’s just a prop for other characters to you guys? Have none of you been bullied or had issues with your mom before?? Lmao. 

It’s just a show, no need to beat on a single character 24/7.

• Like 2

Hope you don't mind me butting in the discussion as well. The rich dude-poor chick trope is very well washed out indeed, and I agree it's getting old (guess I'm too much a sucker for it?).

8 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

I don’t get the immense hate for Rona at all.

Me neither. Though I may be very disappointed about how she acts up to the only one who has supported her all the time,  I am still amazed at her fortitude, mental strength and determination. For me, her arc is first and foremost to reconcile with her mom and become open to more communication between the two of them. And then the generation-crossed revenge / righting wrongs. Talented as she is, she deserves a place in the world of music.

(Maybe her being a bit more manipulative?)

What is interesting about Seokrona is, in my opinion, how much of a change Ro Na can invoke in Seok Hun without doing much - she did fall for him at one point, but got over it (probably in the two years). She hasn't changed that much on his influence (maybe the 'don't easily trust people'-part), but he did change a lot on her influence. (And yeah, that's the washed out part) And it's also interesting to see how much Seok Hun acts upon it - since he was the passive dude in both ways (be it the bullying or protecting part) and the tag of war is pretty interesting to see.

As of S2Ep1, from what I gather, she is basically over him. He isn't. It never gets boring to see the player getting played hard.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Out of all the kids, min hyuk seems the least developed and it's hilarious that his parents now have this cheating arc HAHA It's apparently a Penthouse pattern that if you like a guy, your parents will hook up and make your relationship pseduo incest 

Seo Jin and Dantae's relationship already seems to be showing cracks. This is not a couple that will weather the storm together and they don't trust each other AT all lol They just got together for mutual benefit to avoid their mutual destruction by Logan/SSR duo

It's also interesting, that quite a few of the scenes from the trailer have already been used in the first 2 episodes so they are really building up the suspense. 

My main issue with YoonHee is that she seemed so impulsive/dumb last season but she seems to have sharpened up . 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

19 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

It’s just a show, no need to beat on a single character 24/7.

True bruh. Preach.

7 minutes ago, Curlytop Asmr Lee said:

WHy 3 seasons of this? Does it really take that long to get the evil ppl the punishment they deserve?  I don't know if I can keep watching that long. I love the show but the constand evil winning is getting annoying.

Cuz in real life, there is a lot of corruption. For them to get revenge that easily would be 'unrealistic' actually. That's usually how it is - and for some it's reality (maybe not the whole murder parts but the essence is). You need some thorough planning and execution to dethrone people like that. The right opening, the right backup, the right countermeasure, etc. etc. It's never that easy. Sadly.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Aolian said:

I actually believed in Yun Hee before the revelations of EP16. And I still kinda believe in her. But you know, being drunk may excuse you in court to lighten the sentence, but the fact that you were the one who took away the tomorrows of this child with its limitless possibilities, especially while you are drunk, makes it much worse. Was her life only that much worth that it could be ended in a drunken stupor? You may have the Übermensch, or even the Mensch (cuz Yun Hee sees herself in Seol A to an extent), hindering you while you were sane and sober, but taking a life is inexcusable, drunk or not.

The moral 'nonsense' aside, what makes me personally hate her more is the fact that she was not even one bit apologetic towards Su Ryeon about it on her own. (Which made me start calling Yun Hee 'backstabby B') If she had apologized and repented and at the end, turned herself in to the police after all revenge is completed, then I would've somehow recognized it - doesn't mean it makes the murder lighter - you can't really murder someone in a drunken stupor, apologize and go on living your life!

Now that Su Ryeon is not here, I only have YH to rely on for revenge and despite her past, I hope she succeeds. I hope the patricidal diva gets what she deserves (now that concerning music, YH will become the puppetmaster and the diva will lose her influence, her daughter becoming a lot more bold and manipulative and has the leverage to blackmail her, etc. etc.) as does the psychopath (I wish Seok Kyung would overhear him declaring his joy over having successfully killed Su Ryeon and then things spiraling downward for him from that point on) and all others who deserve it.

I think Jenny had a good retribution. The whole Su Ryeon/Logan revenge plan made her think about their bullying more - leading her to side with innocent Ro Na for two whole years. I hope she stays that way. But Seok Kyung, Eun Byeul and Min Hyuk definitely need some sense beaten into them and more suffering, far more suffering.

And to Ro Na of the first season, I have no excuse for her - yes she has to endure a lot from her surrounding but it doesn't give her the right to snap at the only person who would stay at her side and support her no matter what. Maybe she has learnt her lesson at the start of Season 2.

No one is going to interpret a scene the same way. I am not excusing Oh yoon hee's actions in any way. To me when she found out that she was the killer and suryeon confessed that she was soela's mother it was a lot and her first thought was probably Rona. I need to watch that revelation scene again though.

None of the characters are innocent they all have issues.

Suryeon - Yes she tried her best to show love to the twins and the child she thought was hers but she focused more on the child in the hospital. I get why seokyung reacted the way she did when she found out that suryeon wasn't her mother.

Logan lee- He only started liking seola when she gave him her bone or whatever it was. He did nothing when his parents sent her out and now he wants to be a big brother.

Seokhoon- He needs to take care of himself before wanting to be in a relationship with rona.

Yoonchul- Dude forgot that he had a child and also cheated on the love of his life for money.

The only character that i like right now is Jenny. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Wiggle 2

6 minutes ago, Songbae said:

To me when she found out that she was the killer and suryeon confessed that she was soela's mother it was a lot and her first thought was probably Rona

I am of the same opinion. Imagine you are a mother, and there are 2 alternatives. (a) will 100% affect your daughter's reputation but nothing else, (b) is worse than a, and possibly more dangerous but there is a slight possibility (say, 10%) that your daughter comes out of this scot-free. YH chose option b, and didn't end up being included in the 10%.

9 minutes ago, Songbae said:

None of the characters are innocent they all have issues.

Different shades of morally grey. Su Ryeon was, I guess the whitest but she was grey anyway.

@Songbae what exactly do you expect from Seok Hun in the future?

also @SongbaeHow much coercion do you think was there when Yun Cheul chose Cheong A over Yun Hee? (It still doesn't excuse him though)

14 minutes ago, Songbae said:

I am not excusing Oh yoon hee's actions in any way.

And what would she need to do for you to 'forgive' her?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

I think all this discussion is good because it makes me look at the characters in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. Sorry this post is probably very long and I'm just rambling here

Personally, I feel like most if not all of the characters are painted in grey here. There's no black and white. And I'm just enjoying the ride tbh. YH proved that she can be selfish and vicious like the rest of them in the Penthouse. Like ya, she was drunk but she wanted to kill to make her daughter's dream true. Kill an innocent life so like her precious child. And drunk actions reflect a sober person's thoughts in my mind. 

SR is good but she reminds me of that line in Parasite- she can afford to be kind and nice because she's rich. If she had a life that was as hard as YH would she have been as good? part of me says yes because she seems to have a good core. But at the same time, she neglected the twins because all of her attention went to the child she had with the man she really loved.

Seo Kyung's guilt towards SR shows that SR did love the twins but in a different way. Also, she treated her mom like trash so that's that lol. That scene of SR with the twins showed that they did have good times with her but it went sour as they got older when their dad's abuse of them got worse. Seo Kyung who is more emotional than Seok Hoon,  probably already had a complex that SR had her own daughter and so lashed out more at SR because she felt that SR chose her real daughter over them. 

Logan Lee was basically a rich spoiled child who happened to be sick. I notice there isn't one mention of all the OTHER children who were sent away after they got tested. But he fixates on Seol A because she helped heal him. So from that point of self interest, his feelings towards her softened to a sincere brotherly love and need to protect this person who helped him. Her efforts to treat him like a real brother left an impact as well. He must have been freaking lonely as a patient. 

Even the evil people have their own moments. SJ lives with the fear of her dad looming over her. And now she forever has his death on her hands. Her breakdown at the hospital felt very real. Yes she killed him but that was her dad and I think left a severe impact on her. She probably grew up in a cold coporate environment and besides her rivalry with YH, I suspect the warm and SINCERE affections that the Yoon Yoon couple had - she wanted that because she had been starved of real emotion. She started the affair with Dantae because again of jealousy and also because her husband clearly couldn't stand her- besides greed, it very much felt like - so love with a poor man didn't work out, eff it  I will go for power lol

Dantae- I think he got treated the same way his twins are being treated by him. Highly abusive environment and he NEEDED to marry SR to elevate his position. I don't doubt that he wasn't very pleasant to begin with but his upbringing didn't help. Dantae reads very cold. His relationship with SR was all about his legacy and he didn't love her. He was obsessed with her because she was the perfect society wife and  could give him benefits that no one else could have. With SJ, again, she's the picture of society wife AND their relationship is based on lust and passion. SR and him seemed very sexless tbh. Will be interesting to see his relationship with the twin's real mother. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

48 minutes ago, Aolian said:

I am of the same opinion. Imagine you are a mother, and there are 2 alternatives. (a) will 100% affect your daughter's reputation but nothing else, (b) is worse than a, and possibly more dangerous but there is a slight possibility (say, 10%) that your daughter comes out of this scot-free. YH chose option b, and didn't end up being included in the 10%.

Different shades of morally grey. Su Ryeon was, I guess the whitest but she was grey anyway.

@Songbae what exactly do you expect from Seok Hun in the future?

also @SongbaeHow much coercion do you think was there when Yun Cheul chose Cheong A over Yun Hee? (It still doesn't excuse him though)

And what would she need to do for you to 'forgive' her?

Seokhoon needs therapy and also he should be honest with his sister. That girl needs a reality check. I just want him to be a better person and get out from his fathers grip. His character should not be a rich boy pining after a girl that looks like she is over him.

I don't think that there was coercion when yoonchul picked cheong A over yunhee. He was thinking about himself alone and he got what he deserved a loveless marriage with a crazy cheater. 

I started feeling sorry for yunhee when suryeon died. That hit her hard.

Also i think it is weird how people forget about the lawyer, his wife and mari. Like i get that they are funny but they are also not good people either. And i am not a fan of the cheating arc that they might be in.

• Like 3