[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

In the episode JDT mentioned that EB is at a juvenile detention center. Is that correct? I can't remember them mentioning that ever. I thought she just ran away with the nanny. 

How does JDT get away with hitting BR in the head with the statue. Like did they never bring charges up for that (if so why not), also what about the "kidnapping" of BR and SSR. I swear to believe these twists its like we have to forget what happened in previous episodes. 

Also where is the money JDT is using coming from? Magic? Also, where did Logan Lee get all of that money from? Was he always that rich? 

I am going to hate SK this season, I just know it. Especially since it looks like she sides with her JDT over SSR. She is going to be on the villain side in the story. I wonder if it will reach the point where SSR will have to consider turning her back on her, because SK has gone to far and crosses a line SSR can't accept.  I doubt there is anything SSR could do that will make SH turn on her, so the twins will be split (which I like). 

Even though I'm not going to like SK, this storyline arc makes sense for her character. She has always been attention seeking and more on her dad's side.

I just need SK to be punished somehow for all of her terrible behavior. I know that SH hasn't been punished either but at least he regrets it and has been a better person since. She just doesn't care. Also if Hae-In comes back that is going to drive her even more jealous. 

I am going to need BR to get over the martyr stuff of not going to college real quick. However, I think they will drag that on until the actual skills test, like a will she or will she not. I really liked the deleted scene above because SH had a point, BR wouldn't let him skip college because he felt guilty over his dad's actions towards her. So, if SSR is telling her to go and become a singer than I think she should do it. 

Crazy theory: If it is JDT that died maybe BR is the one who killed him. She seems the most unlikely so that is why I am guessing her. Maybe a repeat of S2 and OYC covers for her like he did EB. Wild guessing here because with this show who knows. 

If SJ sentence got reduced to two years in prison then how is she walking out? That confused me. I'm also going to need them to explain why OYH is out.

Also if OYH is out, is she just pretending to be in prison..again leaving BR to survive on her own. With JDT out, isn't she worried about BR safety. Side note Where is BR living? End of S2 showed them packing her stuff, but it looks like she is in the same apartment so how does that make sense. 

I love that SSR and OYH are on the same side. I think that SSR has forgiven OYH fully, thought in reality how would she (but this is Penthouse logic).  I LOVED that entire scene of them pushing SJ in the water. My guess is the water is deep and SJ can swim. So it was less of a murder attempt and more of a watch your back if you screw us/scare tactic to find out if she knows about Logan's murder. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

In the episode JDT mentioned that EB is at a juvenile detention center. Is that correct? I can't remember them mentioning that ever. I thought she just ran away with the nanny. 

The adults assume that EB went to a juvenile detention center. The drama hasn't shown any other evidence that she did. From what we saw in the drama, she ran away with the nanny. 

How does JDT get away with hitting BR in the head with the statue. Like did they never bring charges up for that (if so why not), also what about the "kidnapping" of BR and SSR. I swear to believe these twists its like we have to forget what happened in previous episodes.

Technically, the case is under reinvestigation due to new evidence found that Logan framed JDT. JDT's lawyers claim that BR's testimony can be written off as inconsistent due to her head injury. They also claim that they can shift the blame on SSR and BR's kidnapping onto Cheon Seo Jin.

Also where is the money JDT is using coming from? Magic? 

There's always a slush fund somewhere.  

Also, where did Logan Lee get all of that money from? Was he always that rich?

Yes, he was. He's even richer than JDT. Which is the reason why JDT kept him alive after season 1.   

-----

End game predictions for each character....

Dan-Tae is going to fall to his death. 

Su-Ryeon is going to live at the same cabin and location from her painting.

Yoon-Hee is the new director of Cheong-Ah Academy.

Seo-Jin will go back to prison. The public is finally going to find out what she did to her father

Kyu-Jin and Sang-Ah will be living at a small apartment. LKJ's mother is going annoy Sang-Ah

Ma-Ri is going to keep on running the bathhouse. Possibly becoming the Fourth Queen.

Yoon-Cheol is going to take care of Eun-Byul who has lost all memories of her mother.

Eun-Byul loses all memories of her mother. 

Ro-Na is going to be attending Seoul University

Seok-Kyung is going to study abroad.  

Seok-Hoon will also be attending Seoul University. 

Je-Ni is going to keep on living with Ma-Ri.

Min-Hyuk will become a man-child.

Boong-Hong goes to a psyche ward.

Dong-Pil dies.

Joon-Ki takes over Cheong-Ah Group/JK Holdings

Secretary Jo dies.

Edited by LD Lee
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

• Lmangla changed the title to [Current Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스 - Season 3 - Fri @ 22:00 KST
On 6/5/2021 at 11:00 PM, chococarmela said:

Penthouse is actually a thriller. It's just extremely makjang, but it's actually categorized as a thriller on most websites. 

Logan is alive. He didn't die. There are clips where his character is there. If he is actually dead, rip I guess. Never liked him that much.

Both twins' characterizations are ridiculously flat and I feel like that's another reason why I don't like them.

Also, how the hell is time moving in this episode? There were scenes during prison, then a one month jump, then scenes before and after Logan's "death", and all of a sudden Seojin, Dantae, and Yoonhee got released? Huh??

So like a daily drama plot twist basically? Then she'll remember and go back to get SSR and OYH for revenge... :joy:

Ahh yes. Lots of makjang actually pass as thrilller too is it? This one, WotM ...

How many fake deaths KSO expect us to tolerate? it does not even funny anymore 

Lots of timeframe does not make sense in PH. I lost track of it already hahahaha ....

Same I don't like the twins at all, SK is basically rich spoiled psycho brat when SH is your standard angsty emo cool boys. Worse both of them doesn't evolve through the series.

BR annoyed the hell out of me in S1 and S2 but somehow she's tolerable in this episode? or maybe because there's so few of her presence.

The only likable kids for me is Jenny.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:33 PM, Marshi said:

Based on the next trailer like this not gonna happened. I guess someone under the waterfall was there ready to save her. Here will be the beginning they agreed to team up against JDT. I read some spoiler before its maybe about Eun Byul that makes CSJ want to team up with them. 

It seems too good to be true CSJ will team up with the other 2 again just like last time ... hmm we'll see ....

BTW regarding MSA so its canon that the real killer is OYH is it?

On 6/6/2021 at 3:32 AM, LD Lee said:

I believe they did sorta spoiled JDT's end game in the beginning of the episode. He's going to fall to his death.  

Seems so

He deserved far worse death though

My wish for end of the series -

- SSR getting all the wealth but discarded it and donate it for good so she can live off with her kids peacefully

- JDT getting his death due after some kind of finale villain -esque fight? probably

- The twins : one of them will probably died, my money's on SK since if SH died = rating will go down I'm sure

- Hye in : fully recovered I guess? then follow SSR

- OYH : happy end since she's paid her crimes? but will she went bad again? her S1 betrayal still fresh in my head

- BR : as much as I loathe BR as a character, she will be fine till the end.

- CSJ : went insane (just like Min Yura from TLE) or in prison (just like Min Jung from Jang Bori)

- EB : I can see two paths for her, either she can be redeemed or also went insane just like her mom

- Dr. Ha : died or going penniless (sorry don't think he deserved any redemption)

- The lawyer : penniless or going to prison for assisting JDT

- Lawyer's wife : will follow lawyer's fate anywhere he goes

- Jenny's mom : getting her fortune for real and probably running bathhouse chains in the country

- The real JDT : need to see his whole story (but trailers he looks like on good terms with Hera gang tho?)

- Jenny's dad : dunno, need to see his story too

- Yu Jun-Sang's character : oh will he come back again? since NAG's story are wrapped up already

- Creepy nanny died

- JDT's secretary : died

- CSJ's secretary : died

- CSJ's mom and half sister : went broke or killed off

Those who should've stayed dead

- BR (S2)

- Logan (S3)

Edited by abwxyz
  • Like 1

I do not know if someone saw this and or talked about it. But few days ago, I saw this news on IG only. It seems fake because there where no info somewhere else. The spelling of her name is wrong too. It seems coming from a twitter account, but I did not find it.

spacer.png

Edited by Pitchoum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abwxyz said:

It seems too good to be true CSJ will team up with the other 2 again just like last time ... hmm we'll see ....

BTW regarding MSA so its canon that the real killer is OYH is it?

She will. If u see trailer at hidden room, the last scene show SSR forcing her to united with them. The scene seems at waterfall when SSR said "Shall we start to rat hunt from now?".

She don't have any other choice. Maybe SSR and OYH threatened her about Eun Byul or CA Foundation. 

I still don't have clue how OYH out jailed yet. Is it possible she's not the one kill MSA? I am not sure Korean Law can they change their statement time by time when SSR herself revealing her testimony that shes saw OYH killed MSA with her own eyes. :tightdeadline:

• Like 1

I just got done with episode 1 and want to know, am i the only one that feels like it was Na Ae Kyo at that water fall scene with Oh Yun Hee??

The way she talked, her tone sounds a lot like Na Ae Kyo :open_mouth:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Won C said:

I just got done with episode 1 and want to know, am i the only one that feels like it was Na Ae Kyo at that water fall scene with Oh Yun Hee??

The way she talked, her tone sounds a lot like Na Ae Kyo :open_mouth:

Nope. There's no way she was NAG. Perhaps SSR was used with NAG style sometimes. As for me NAG have gone forever as we watched in S2.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marshi said:

Nope. There's no way she was NAG. Perhaps SSR was used with NAG style sometimes. As for me NAG have gone forever as we watched in S2.

I have to agree. NAG has past away but who not to say SSR might pretend to be NAG again. 

• Like 2

I just finished with Episode 1 of Season 3 and oh my god... we are one step forward, ten steps backward for this writer in terms of character development!:joy: I sure hope that first scene wasn't a dream.

While I am terribly disappointed that Seok Kyung has once again regressed to spoiled child persona, I am not surprised at all since she is JDT's child. There will always be that seed of evil in the twins coming from their father. It's just happens to be dominant in SK than SH.

Very curious about Baek Jun Ki and why it took him so long to track JDT down and reclaim his life. Is it possible he had a different face back then? This writer is known for out-of-this-world transformation for her characters.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scribbledjunkie said:

Very curious about Baek Jun Ki and why it took him so long to track JDT down and reclaim his life. Is it possible he had a different face back then? This writer is known for out-of-this-world transformation for her characters.

As we watched in ep 1, Logan Lee is the one approached Jun Ki. Jun Ki only knew his identity was stolen through Logan. 

• Like 1

I believe Baek Jun-Ki (The real Jun Dan-Tae) is the real arranged fiancé of Shim Su-Ryeon. Both his and her parents know each other. Ju Dan-Tae (The real Baek Jun-Ki) took his identity and fortune and became Shim Su-Ryeon's fiancé. This is before she called him to tell him that he was going to marry someone else. Min Seol-Ah's dad.   

• Insightful 3

Idk im very much convinced that Na Ae Kyo's stillalive. 

1. SSR had straight hair under her cap and with NO earrings on when she and OYH kidnapped CSJ. However the SSR at the waterfall had wavy hair WITH earrings. 

2. Also there were some scenes with SSR having highlights in her hair. 

3. She sounded so much like Na Ae Kyo at the waterfall. 

Edited by Won C
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Won C said:

1. SSR had straight hair under her cap and with NO earrings on when she and OYH kidnapped CSJ. However the SSR at the waterfall had wavy hair WITH earrings. 

And they didn't say it was a prop mistake.

I feel like both NAG and LL are alive. LL's body wasn't even found...

If that's case then none of the important characters were killed off for real. Kinda annoyed that KSO killed off characters just to revive them. What is this, a 'buy 1 free 1' twist? 

• Like 1

I just don't understand why some people want eunbyeol and rona to be besties. It is a little bit weird.

It feels like they watched a different show because EB bullied rona, tortured her emotionally and tried to kill her. RN really has no business with EB. I still want rona to leave that country. I really liked RN in season one (not when she would argue with her mom but when she didn't take nonsense from the kids or adults). I hope they don't make her depend on SH. I don't like him

Also didn't SR go to see a therapist in ep1 or what?

It makes no sense how she s the only one going to therapy when her kids need it badly.

I don't think that Na aegyo is alive. I hope that she is dead. Her being alive makes no sense. I hope that they focus on Joo dantae's backstory in this season and that the writer is able to fix the plot holes. 

Logan lee better stay dead.

To be honest i am actually tired of this show but i have invested a lot of time and effort so i have to watch it till the end

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Songbae said:

I just don't understand why some people want eunbyeol and rona to be besties. It is a little bit weird.

It feels like they watched a different show because EB bullied rona, tortured her emotionally and tried to kill her. RN really has no business with EB. I still want rona to leave that country. I really liked RN in season one (not when she would argue with her mom but when she didn't take nonsense from the kids or adults). I hope they don't make her depend on SH. I don't like him

Also didn't SR go to see a therapist in ep1 or what?

It makes no sense how she s the only one going to therapy when her kids need it badly.

I don't think that Na aegyo is alive. I hope that she is dead. Her being alive makes no sense. I hope that they focus on Joo dantae's backstory in this season and that the writer is able to fix the plot holes. 

Logan lee better stay dead.

To be honest i am actually tired of this show but i have invested a lot of time and effort so i have to watch it till the end

I think we are experiencing makjang fatigue, thats what I felt too starting around eps 19 - until end on TLE. It starting to get boring. In PH arguably its worse because KSO keeps reviving dead characters

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/06/penthouse-writer-confesses-that-the-storyline-is-unbelievable-and-unrealistic

The writer was also well aware of the criticisms given by netizens as they pointed out that there are just too many characters being revived in the drama. Writer Kim Soon Ok responded, "I self-reflected a lot while watching the drama. I always think, 'I should fix that' and 'I shouldn't revive them' but then I find myself writing another incident and preparing another character to come back alive..."

Well even she said it so herself ....

• Like 4

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/07/the-theme-of-the-penthouse-3-will-be-destruction/
The Theme of ‘The Penthouse 3’ Will Be “Destruction”

by Na Young Gil

As expected, The Penthouse 3: War in Life got off to a good start. To celebrate this, The Penthouse 3 dropped an interview with the show’s writer Kim Soon Ok, who brings thrill and surprise to the show every episode.

Q1. Season 1 surpassed the ratings of 30 percent. It’s the first time in 5 years for a scripted show to have such a record on a terrestrial network. 
It feels like a dream. I was criticized a lot in the beginning. I just prayed that I would at least will be able to finish the story. It’s all surreal to me. I’ll do my best to bring the show to a successful conclusion.

Q2. What was the message you were trying to convey through the season 1 and 2?
Season 1 was about endless human greed, and season 2 was about karma. People feel miserable due to the things they don’t have, and that misery pushes them to sin. 

Q3. What were your most memorable scenes in the season 1 and 2?
In the 20th episode of season 1, there was a scene where the members of the Little Hera Club escape from a van and cross the wastewater. Ma Ri’s narration was about a fantastic party at Hera Palace, but the characters on screen desperately tried to survive, diving into wastewater. And each of them wanted to go first.

About the second season, I remember having so much fun writing the scene where Shim Soo Ryun pretends to be Na Ae Gyo and get hit by Joo Dan Tae’s car. But Sim was actually stuck in the basement of a summer house and asked the police, “What day is it?”

Q4. The show made many new words such as ‘mala-flavored story,’ ‘crazy pace,’ and ‘Soon Ok license.’ 
‘Soon Ok license’ was probably born from the show’s lack of coherency. I admit that. Many incidents occur, and the characters get involved in new incidents suddenly. That can result in creating some confusion regarding how each character felt. Plus, some of them come back from death like zombies. These are the words fans came up with to defend the show’s flaws, so I’m grateful for them. I also feel embarrassed.

Q5. If you can explain the theme of season 3 in one word, what would it be?
It’s ‘destruction.’ One that makes people sin and the whole world get destroyed. But even in that awful situation, it opens up the new sky and earth come, and fresh green sprouts shoot up from the cracks of broken rocks.

Q6. How do you want this series to be remembered?
I remember this one comment that reads, “I want to keep seeing how Cheon Seo Jin lives her life.” If viewers remain curious about how the characters live their lives, that will be the most rewarding and joyous thing to me.

Q7. Any last words?
I hope viewers wonder how the show will end. Some will get it right, and some won’t. But either way, I hope the ending brings us the thrill, even just for a moment.

Source (1)
Translator Na Young Gil: ZAPZEE is the best Korean pop culture community, and I’m happy to be part of it.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1