[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

Can I just say that Yoon Hee is screwed the minute Logan and SSR find out what she did?

I think this is why the show needs season 2 and 3. One season to take down SJ, another to take down Dantae and then YH.  SJ is already cracking by the looks of it. Dantae has some trauma now. 

I really ship Logan and SSR. But, I think YH will be worse than SJ because SJ is just so openly evil whereas YH and SSR have a relationship so the betrayal will cut even deeper. 

I think the way the show is going Logan and SSR might have a love line. Rona is going to have a revenge rampage now that she has Seok Hoon with her. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

Why and how?

Spoiler

Just my opinion. There aren't many good people in the drama so the fact that they had to turn YH evil is kinda bitter to me. I was rooting for YH (partially) because she didn't really do bad things (until now) Oh well, another character to be punished Ig. 

I feel bad for SSR, not only she has to suffer for 3 seasons, her incompetent teammate (LL and YH) has to drag her down, and now YH is evil, poor SSR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Secretz said:

Just saw the preview.

Rona's eyes opened, check. Turning evil, maybe. More mature, not so.

Spoiler

@Secretz Why maybe? It was a 'definitely' for me. Where do you see a chance of redemption?

And I don't think she'll get more mature, no. I'm starting to dislike her. I hate how she is bullied, and I loved the talk she gave Seok Hun in EP 15. But she isn't walking the talk. Her turning into this possibly revenge-obsessed monster is her own fault, no one else's. Her getting bullied doesn't give her the right to bully people back, especially not by making use of other people. She should've learned from this to get to a different school and beat them academically, fair and square.

There's talk of 2nd love interest for Ro Na. Makjang-esque would be when she'd hurt Seok Hun last (after having used him to hurt his sister, his gang) and then tell him she hasn't dated him because she loved him - it was all to avenge herself getting bullied. And then go out with the 2nd love interest the next day. That'd destroy him.

But what is also possible is that Seok Hun went into the relationship with the purpose of helping her get her revenge then slowly start to dislike her. Then them breaking up, since she'd become as manipulative as her sister.

I miss the Ro Na that was brave and truthful and not malicious. But hey, it's a makjang.

2 hours ago, sasha1818 said:

Can I just say that Yoon Hee is screwed the minute Logan and SSR find out what she did?

I think this is why the show needs season 2 and 3. One season to take down SJ, another to take down Dantae and then YH.  SJ is already cracking by the looks of it. Dantae has some trauma now. 

I really ship Logan and SSR. But, I think YH will be worse than SJ because SJ is just so openly evil whereas YH and SSR have a relationship so the betrayal will cut even deeper. 

I think the way the show is going Logan and SSR might have a love line. Rona is going to have a revenge rampage now that she has Seok Hoon with her. 

Spoiler

I think that the psycho is a wonderful scapegoat. He has this murderous tendency, he has actually murdered ppl (and he'd be convicted of it if Logan or Su Ryeon was clever enough to record the conversation), and Yun Hee was a witness to him almost murdering poor Anna. Which means, he can easily be convicted of Anna's murder.

Su Ryeon is 'blinded' by hatred for her husband, of course she'd possibly bite the bullet. Logan? Maybe not so much, but after Seol A's message about her predicting the killer to be 100% that Psycho, probably. Remember, they both trust Yun Hee, the former due to Anna's diary note about her, the latter due to Yun Hee's comment on Anna and due to Su Ryeon.

This scene also showed Anna's relief on Yun Hee's arrival. Anna was relieved thinking she can finally go home, but then to be killed by the person she thought was good must have been a shock for her.

So for one, when the psycho is finally convicted and his crimes laid out to the public, they'd be heaving a sigh, relieved at having avenged Anna. Prbly Logan would be the one going 'sth doesn't add up...' and then investigates, but Su Ryeon wouldn't have it until she has no choice but to acknowledge Yun Hee being the murderer.

32 minutes ago, Secretz said:

It kinda ruined the drama...

Spoiler

It did to me as well. For someone who was always on the high route, (paying her husband's debts that had nothing to do with her just because it was her duty, always putting her daughter first and listening to her, never complaining about her work no matter how hard, paying for her boyfriend's tuition and then prbly not making a fuss when he broke up with her to go after her rival, not committing adultery, being merciful towards that psychopath, ...) it hurts me to see her being the killer (which I guess will get confirmed when she burns her stuff - at least she has the brains for that - except the necklace was picked up, when a different killer X left it at the crime scene, but as you said, that's highly unlikely).

Some have already pointed this out, but then Ro Na and the rich kids will literally be stigmatized - 

The twins, as well as Ro Na, as well as Eun Byeul would be the children of murderers.

Eun Byeul and the twins again would be the children of adulterers.

Jenny is the child of a fraud.

To carry the sins of their own parents is going to make life soooo much harder for the kids, especially in Korea. They really need to pay for their deeds (yes, junior hera board, I'm looking at you), get therapy and move abroad.

But then that's how makjangs works, so...

Edited by Aolian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too much judgement without watching it first :sweatingbullets:

People are always too hard to rona forgetting that she is just a teenager, grew up with a cheater dad (that must be the reason why she had trust issues), Bullied all her life cause she is a poor kid, suppressed to show her talent cause her mom cannot move on with her past, always pretending or acting strong cause she is her own hero, no one will protect her but herself. Remember, at the beginning she said to her mother that for once she should believe on her and take her sides not asking sorry to anyone who hurt her daughter especially if she is not at fault cause that is like believing that her daughter did something bad. She is a teenager and she suffered a lot of pain too.  why people are asking too much from her? are she not allowed to be human too, act as a kid as well, to feel tired, to commit mistakes and learn from it later on?  her character is very realistic. This is not like your typical fairytale story with unblemished female lead. The writers are showing the reality of life, the effect of bullying and bad parenting but sad to know a lot of viewers cannot see it. A lot of viewers cannot sympathize and understand the sufferings of the characters, they are using their eyes not their minds in watching. No wonder in real life their are a lot of judgemental people and most victims of bullying still suffering not because of their bullies but because of people who cannot understand them

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Annyainne said:

People are always too hard to rona forgetting that she is just a teenager, grew up with a cheater dad (that must be the reason why she had trust issues), Bullied all her life cause she is a poor kid, suppressed to show her talent cause her mom cannot move on with her past, always pretending or acting strong cause she is her own hero, no one will protect her but herself. Remember, at the beginning she said to her mother that for once she should believe on her and take her sides not asking sorry to anyone who hurt her daughter especially if she is not at fault cause that is like believing that her daughter did something bad. She is a teenager and she suffered a lot of pain too.  why people are asking too much from her? are she not allowed to be human too, act as a kid as well, to feel tired, to commit mistakes and learn from it later on?  her character is very realistic. This is not like your typical fairytale story with unblemished female lead. The writers are showing the reality of life, the effect of bullying and bad parenting but sad to know a lot of viewers cannot see it. A lot of viewers cannot sympathize and understand the sufferings of the characters, they are using their eyes not their minds in watching. No wonder in real life their are a lot of judgemental people and most victims of bullying still suffering not because of their bullies but because of people who cannot understand them

You definitely have a point. For a teenager, the way she has held herself on the outside (not towards her mother) was superb up to EP15. I also guess it's realistic for her to grow a thirst for revenge, after all that has happened. But she needs to learn before it's too late.

I actually blame miscommunication between the mother and daughter for this. If her mother had explained to her why she wasn't on her side, then RN might have understood. On the other hand, had the daughter reached out, the problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. To be honest, when she acted up on her mom last episode, I thought it was her way of telling her mother something is def wrong. Again, miscommunication. But they don't fix it soon.

Speaking of faults: Yun Hee lived her life as a bullied, cheated, etc. etc. but she didn't sway from that path. Had there been no miscomm. then her daughter might have acquired that sense of staying on the high road. But then, YH has to work hard for low pay. So it's obvious there can't be a proper communication.

I pity her but this development is bad, and she needs to snap out of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aolian said:

You definitely have a point. For a teenager, the way she has held herself on the outside (not towards her mother) was superb up to EP15. I also guess it's realistic for her to grow a thirst for revenge, after all that has happened. But she needs to learn before it's too late.

I actually blame miscommunication between the mother and daughter for this. If her mother had explained to her why she wasn't on her side, then RN might have understood. On the other hand, had the daughter reached out, the problem wouldn't have existed in the first place. To be honest, when she acted up on her mom last episode, I thought it was her way of telling her mother something is def wrong. Again, miscommunication. But they don't fix it soon.

Speaking of faults: Yun Hee lived her life as a bullied, cheated, etc. etc. but she didn't sway from that path. Had there been no miscomm. then her daughter might have acquired that sense of staying on the high road. But then, YH has to work hard for low pay. So it's obvious there can't be a proper communication.

I pity her but this development is bad, and she needs to snap out of it.

She wasn't bullied all her life, she experienced it only during her senior high when she met SJ. She was top of her class, she grew up without a dad as well but growing up without a dad is better than growing up with a cheater father, constantly disrespecting her mother and her daughter. You know Yoonhee is not also perfect, remember she blackmailed the congressman just to get money (it's congressman's fault for not paying yoonhee properly but blackmailing is still a crime especially if you illegally obtained your evidences. She committed trespassing and wire tapping), she bribed the principal (well, rona is innocent but still she resorted to bribery), she almost killed min seol ah, she can even think of killing someone just because of her dreams or her daughter's dreams and now i dont know if she is the final killer as per episode 16. She is a good con artist too who will do everything for her ambition. And for the cheating part with Dr. Ha, well  cheating/affairs always begin in the mind not in the bedroom. She initially planned to seduce dr. ha to get back at SJ and even took dr. Ha's pictures while he is sleeping.  bae rona's doubts and feelings to her mother about that incident is valid. 

and by the way the young people of yesterday should not be compared to the young people of today. Yoonhee is not rona. Not because there are people who grew up normal even after abused all victims are expected to be like them. Different person, different personalities, different environment, different effect/outcome.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, Aolian said:
  Hide contents

always putting her daughter first

But that's basically the reason why Yoon Hee killed Anna. Rona drove her to it because she was such an insufferable brat with not being able to go to the school of her dreams. I'm just waiting for Rona to find out about what her mother did for her to get in that school because I know she's going to judge her mother for it. I can imagine Yoon Hee screaming at her daughter saying "Why are you mad at me!? I was willing to do anything to make you happy. We got to live in Hera Palace and you got to go to Cheong A Arts High School. So what if it was at the cost of someone's life? Everything I did was for your happiness."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sonequeen01 said:

But that's literally the reason why Yoon Hee killed Anna. Rona drove her to it because she was such an insufferable brat with not being able to go to the school of her dreams. I'm just waiting for Rona to find out about what her mother did for her to get in that school because I know she's going to judge her mother for it. I can imagine Yoon Hee screaming at her daughter saying "Why are you mad at me!? I was willing to do anything to make you happy. We got to live in Hera Palace and you got to go to Cheong A Arts High School. So what if it was at the cost of someone's life? Everything I did was for your happiness."

Exactly. When I wrote that 'always putting her daughter first', I knew this would happen. I was thinking of it myself as well. That's the part I hate Ro Na about. You can imagine how it must feel for her to live in an environment where she is always shunned. If I were in such an environment, I'd try to hold my mom closer in my mind. I'd try to talk to her and discuss things with her. We don't really know how RN grew up, but I can't for the sake of hell understand how she wouldn't communicate with her mom. It makes me mad at her. Is it because of the lack of time they spend together? Is it because Yun Hee isn't touching the right topics despite their time together? What is it?

And yeah. Ro Na would definitely judge her mother and go 'I am ashamed to be called your daughter!' It pains me to see that. I actually hoped they'd talk but seeing her today, I'm not so sure anymore. I hope the second 'love interest' of Ro Na can actually 'wake her up' and prompt her to mend her relationship with her mother.

• Insightful 2