[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

On 5/9/2020 at 4:52 PM, foreverempress said:

I was excited until I found out the last Empress writers were in charge of this drama... I think I'll pass.

So you weren`t excited for the next Kim Soon Ok drama? :w00t: I wasn`t excited.  Not even for a minute, even when I found out that my girl will be on it. The worst part is that it will be two seasons. :tears:

Well, I wish the cast and crew good luck.

Ha Do-kwon is more active lately. He appeared not long ago in MBC variety show King of Masked Singer, he appreared in the opening of professional baseball, had interviews. He mentioned about Penthouse. He has a very good voice and I hope we hear him a little in the drama where he plays a vocal teacher.

108744_127641_1650.jpg

"I am currently shooting SBS 'Penthouse'," Ha Do-kwon said. In addition, he said, “It is the glory of the family” and he expressed his heart.

https://www.dailysecu.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=108744

• Like 2

@larus have they changed the title from Penthouse to War of Life?

At first glance, the logo reminds me of The World of the Married logo, then I rechecked it...it's actually different. Lol

I don't think I saw articles about other cast confirmation. So I'm glad they have started filming. Does it have an expected broadcast date yet?

Edit. I found this broadcasting rumour (click picture). Penthouse will air after Alice on Sat-Sun in end of October to Jan. That is the prime slot for drama awards. Hahahahaha.

Fun tidbit: Alice lead is Joowon, Penthouse lead is Eugene...Baker King feelssss~~~ :lol:

18 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

have they changed the title from Penthouse to War of Life?

No, it is called Penthouse: War in Life.  Or War in life is just the English title. :D Imagine how silly/ disappointed is that women are fighting over so trivial things while men in other dramas are fighting over global economy/Korean economy.

18 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

I don't think I saw articles about other cast confirmation. So I'm glad they have started filming. Does it have an expected broadcast date yet?

You did not see it because they don`t release any news. I am sure they will release articles about cast confirmation when they already finished filming the drama like they did for another SBS drama, Good Casting. It`s hilarious. It has a broadcast date. It`s October 5.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, larus said:

No, it is called Penthouse: War in Life.  Or War in life is just the English title. :D Imagine how silly/ disappointed is that women are fighting over so trivial things while men in other dramas are fighting over global economy/Korean economy.

You did not see it because they don`t release any news. I am sure they will release articles about cast confirmation when they already finished filming the drama like they did for another SBS drama, Good Casting. It`s hilarious. It has a broadcast date. It`s October 5.

Lol. Maybe the women are fighting about bigger things too. Fighting only about houses while men are fighting about world economy might result in backlash to the drama. Korea is focusing on gender equality now...several airing/recently aired dramas got criticized about it.

5th October?! That's the Monday-Tues slot. Seems like the rumours on the twitter is inaccurate then. According to the schedule pic, the premiere is 30th Oct, in the Friday-Saturday slot. Heh

I want a crack drama like TLE that was a mish mash of genres that somehow worked and was so much fun. But I have a feeling this will be on the serious side. Hohoho

17 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Maybe the women are fighting about bigger things too.

I doubt it. Thje majority of those women don`t even have a job maybe that`s why they fight. To kill time.

5th October?! That's the Monday-Tues slot. Seems like the rumours on the twitter is inaccurate then. According to the schedule pic, the premiere is 30th Oct, in the Friday-Saturday slot. Heh

I heard about that rumor. Sometime it is Monday- Tuesday then it is Friday Saturday. Untill October they will fix the date.

I want a crack drama like TLE that was a mish mash of genres that somehow worked and was so much fun. But I have a feeling this will be on the serious side. Hohoho

Yeah, a crack drama for others. It had good ratings.  I resisted until ep 6 (and I usually don`t drop dramas). It was too crazy nonsense for me. Maybe it is better tolerable if Penthouse will have some fun but I doubt it. I should take a glass of wine before an episode. I`ve never tried it but It is a good thought. For the cast it `s worth a try.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, larus said:

Jin Ji hee

I don`t know why but I want to root for her character in this drama. I like her more than the other younger female actresses. I am sure the other young actresses are talented too.

Me too!! I'm also rooting for her but somehow I have this feeling that her character would be on the bratty or the mean girl side. Maybe 'coz all of her past roles as a rich daughter were her being spoiled... LOL Hope she have different image/role though...

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ada Aloudia Bureros said:

Me too!! I'm also rooting for her but somehow I have this feeling that her character would be on the bratty or the mean girl side. Maybe 'coz all of her past roles as a rich daughter were her being spoiled... LOL Hope she have different image/role though...

It doesn`t matter if her character is bratty or mean girl.  Sometimes I enjoy watching this kind of characters than candy girls. The problem is the writer who doesn`t write complexed, grey characters. Her mean characters are outrageous, excessive traits of bad, crazy.

Maybe Jin Ji Hee will play the good girl in this drama (maybe she was the good girl in the other Kim Sun Ok`s drama she played). She won`t play a rich girl. She is the daughter of Kang Mi Ri (Shin Eun Kyung) and her husband (Heo Sung Tae). The later works for Joo Dan Tae (Uhm Ki Joon) and he is a good man.

The bratty, mean girl will be Jung Da Bin who is the daughter of Kim So yeon in the play. But for sure, there are more baddies in this drama, so we don`t know yet what kind of character Jin Ji Hee will play. .

Welcome to Soompi!

You should edit your previous post, delete the picture from the quote. The rules on Soompi don`t permit to quote pictures/videos.

• Like 2

Oh no...why don't I know about this drama?! Bad me. :(

@larus Thanks for the updates. Glad I saw. The title is Penthouse? I dont see this in asianwiki though.

I really Iike the cast.  Ill see spelndid acting from Kim So Yeon and Uhm Ki Joon They should be the match. Me thinks.Yes?:D:wub:

I watch  Ha Seok Jin most of his dramas. Last one was  YHH.  But I'm happy I'll see Kim Hyun Soo cast in a drama again. She's a good young actress..( for me anyway).I also like the drama she's appeared ( TWDR.  Bridal Mask, Good Doctor. MLFTS, Joseon Gunman, Solomon's Perjury) But anyway...

I'm familiar with all of them except for Eugene and Lee Ji Ah and Bong Tae gyu. I probably seen their dramas. I think.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2020 at 3:46 PM, jongski said:

The title is Penthouse? I dont see this in asianwiki though.

Yes, Penthouse/English title War In life is the name of the drama

It doesn`t have a page on Asianwiki yet. They did not announce that the three lead ladies have signed for this drama either but we know that they start filming.

We don`t know for sure if Ha Seok Jin will appear in this drama. He is one of the leads in MBC drama that will be broadcast in August. Maybe the shooting schredules don`t interfere with the other drama. With so many lead characters maybe he doesn`t have many scenes per episodes either. He could appear in both.

I really Iike the cast.  Ill see spelndid acting from Kim So Yeon and Uhm Ki Joon They should be the match. Me thinks.Yes?

I am watching only for the cast (everybody knows by now:D) and I usually don`t do that. It has to be the story/the writing as well. I wish Kim So yeon will have scenes with Uhm Ji Hoon too. He is linked in the story with Lee Ji ah and maybe with the protagonist but I am hoping the villains will have their story as well (assuming that he is a bad guy here too). Maybe they have a steamy extramarital affair or they hate each other`s guts. :lol:

I'm familiar with all of them except for Eugene and Lee Ji Ah and Bong Tae gyu. I probably seen their dramas. I think.

I watched Kim Hyun Soo in Tree With Deep Roots and Gunam in Joseon but I confess that I don`t remember her but her face is familiar somehow.

I did not watch any drama with Eugene but I saw her in some scenes and I know her more from her band and from her variety show (with her daughter and husband). I like her.

I saw Ha Seok Jin only in Shark and I read many times about him from other dramas.

I saw Lee Ji ah in Athena (I remember her steamy scene with Cha Seung Won:D) , recently in Mr Mister and The Ghost Detective.

Ha Seok Jin made a couple on screen with both Lee Ji ah and Eugene before (in a drama and a movie).

Bong Tae Guy appeared in Return and recently Dr Detective. Maybe you heard about him from Return, even if you did not watched the drama. 

A funny fact. Jung Da Bin, who plays the daughter of Kim So yeon played the younger character of Soon Jung in Falling for Innocence. I am glad they are playing mother -daugher in this drama.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020] Penthouse, 펜트하우스 - Mon & Tue - Premieres in October

From 2 am to 5 am on the 4th June drama Penthouse will  be shooting on Cheongju.

The production team will place safety personnel in the control section and minimize the inconvenience of citizens through the vehicle bypass guidance.

The production team said, “As the Corona 19 situation continues, we will shoot in compliance with the prevention guidelines such as fever checks and wearing masks for all production teams except the actors in action.”

http://www.cbnews.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=114496

They will be shooting so late. But if they need the road than I understand why they shoot from 2 AM to 5 AM.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all the secrecy around this drama,  theey released some new informations.

It is a poster, character descriptions for the main cast and a part from the chaarcter chart.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBhxCLYpFTi/

Spoiler

a6c3b86e33f7a8f1891d337d249d0e5c939582b9

7ae8ae17b9ce4f943372f02924f4afb8f7bc8f03

From what I see, Eugene and Lee Ji ah`s character have a friendship, they are the central of this story. I am glad that there is a friendship between women in this drama. There is a hate too as Kim So Yeon will be the antagonist for the heroine.

I am not sure if the young characters played by Jin Ji hee and Kim Young Soo will be friends or not.

Also, it looks like Cheon Seo jin (Soyeon) is not married with Ha Yoon Chul (Park Eun Seok). She is married with someone else and has two children. (I think I saw the actor playing the husband before but I don`t know his name).  Now that`s interesting. About Yoon Chul`s age.  I hope it is a mistake. How come Ha Yoon Chul is 28? That was the role Oh Man seok have been offered. He could have not been 28. That`s ridiculous. He was supposed to be the director of a hospital. Maybe he had a crush on Seo Jin, she did not marry him. It looks like Seo Jin`s husband has a connection with Oh Yoon Hee (Eugene) too.

I did not like anything Kim Soon Ok wrote before but I hope this drama will be the first exception. :D If she can write complexed characters and implicite good villains (that`s the hardest IMO) I will be happy.

I was wrong. Seo Jin (Kim So yeon`s character) is married with Ha Yoon Chul (that`s what is written). I was confused because in the picture I did not recognize the actor Park Eun Seok.

I don`t know Korean alphabet but I had fun discovering the names.

I think Seo Jin`s children are named Ha Eun Byeol/ byul and Ha Eun chan. (Two girls?) Lee Gyu Jin (Bong Tae Gyu)`s son (I think) is named Lee Min Hyuk/Hyeok.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, larus said:

I was wrong. Seo Jin (Kim So yeon`s character) is married with Ha Yoon Chul (that`s what is written). I was confused because in the picture I did not recognize the actor Park Eun Seok.

Well, I was not entirely wrong. My eyes did not deceived me. There are some changes in the cast and they did not announced it officially yet.

Park Eun Seok will play Logan Lee. Because Han Seok Jin did not accept the role, they thought Park Eun seok might be suited with the role. Now, he can play a 28 years old character if that`s the age of Logan Lee. Park Eun Seok looks younger than his age. I heard he speaks English very well so playing an English teacher will be beliveble.

Yoon Jong-Hoon will play the role of Ha Yoon Chul and he is the husband of Seo Jin (played by Kim So Yeon). When I see his picture I knew I saw him somewhere but I did not know the name. I saw him in drama Return. Yoon Jong Hoon has the same age as Park Eun Seok and looks young too but  maybe he fits better with Kim So Yeon (who has a mature aura). 

If Logan Lee is 28 that means we will have a noona romance?

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the translations of Soyeon`s character.:P

[Unofficial] 2020 SBS drama "Penthouse" - Character introduction
Kim So Yeon as Cheon Seo Jin
(Female / 38 years old / daughter of Cheonga Foundation's chairman) She is wife of Ha Yoon Chul (Yoon Jong Hoon), mother of and Ha Eun Byul and Ha Eun Chan.

She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, spontaneous splendor.
She hates Shim Soo Ryun (Lee Ji Ah), who lives in a penthouse, rather than her. And she has to be the center of the world and put whatever she want in her hands, when she's old, everything is satisfactory! Perfect Madonna, the spotlight in life is always shining on Seo Jin.

The title of the daughter of Cheonga Foundation's chairman makes her always attract attention. By courtesy of Cheonga, 1st place is always Cheon Seo Jin. And at the time she was admitted to Cheonga High School, she was taken the Queen position away by Oh Yoon Hee (Eugene), and she realized the fact that her first request to be able to beat Yoon Hee with absolute skill.

She wants to beat Yun Hee! No, when she saw Yoon Hee, who declared that she would expose the unfairness of the judges who had to win, all the senses that had been accumulated returned to their place. Yoon Hee, who disappeared somewhere, headed for Seo Jin, and her skills increased day by day. Besides, she married Yoon Hee's boyfriend, and still works as a famous soprano.

Credit: Kim So Yeon DC
Sso Fanpage and GG Trans ^^

I think the earlier rumor about the plot was true. Very competitive girl and obsessive girl. So, Seo Jin is like Yeong Mi In All about Eve but this time she is from a rich family. So she hates everyone who still her shining place. Not only Young hee (who was more popular in high school) but also Shim Soo Ryun who is richer than her. I don`t understand why she has to be jelous of Shim Soo Ryun for her penthose. She can buy a penthouse too because she is rich. Perhaps he wanted Joo Dan Tae but she got Young Hee`s boyfriend instead. 

She will be so detested as a character but I hope it is a role who is captivating too not only hated. She has to have some skills to antagonize two female characters in this drama. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was offcially announced that Studio S will colaborate with Green Snake to produce drama Penthouse. It looks like Penthouse will cost a lot to be produced. I hope it will be a drama worth of such investments.

Green Snake' rises more than 10%, SBS drama'Penthouse' program production KRW 26.6 billion

The contract partner is Studio S Co., Ltd., and the contract amount is 26.6 billion won, which is about 55.24% of the recent green snake sales of 485.2 billion won. The term of this contract is from June 26, 2020 to June 30, 2021, which is approximately one year.
Meanwhile, the contract was reported to have been signed on June 26, 2020.

https://www.hankyung.com/finance/article/202006290300L

• Insightful 1

The drama produced this time consisted of 40 copies, including 20 copies in Season 1 and 20 copies in Season 2.  Season 1 will be aired first in October, and the scheduled date for Season 2 will be in the first half of 2021.  The production cost of the synagogue is 670 million won.  Among the drama production contract articles, there is penthouse information, so I brought it ~!!

i

https://m.dcinside.com/board/kimsoyeon/35130 

This is some information concern with the drama penthouse which i a saw at Kim so yeon DC. It is just gg translate , so some may be not be accurate!

As far as we know it is big budget production and consists of two season with altogether 40eps!

Can’t wait for October, i guess production team will start promote the drama around end of August!

Hope a worth drama for season continuation !

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, dsgam95 said:

Can’t wait for October, i guess production team will start promote the drama around end of August!

Hope a worth drama for season continuation !

I hope they release some news. They did not release all the casting news so far. Imagine how it will be to give casting anouncements when they `ve already finished shooting.:lol: They kept everything a secret. Not even a picture from the filming were available (except for some pictures from KSY`s fan).

They invested a lot of money. I am curious if they will wait for audience reaction to shoot the second season or they are very confident enough  and shoot the second season anyway. I hope it is the second scenario. I hate when there is an unfinish story and they don`t do another season because the first season was not succesful. The writer crazy makjang was popular so far. We`ll see.

• Like 2