[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

30 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

Fake how?

I think they mean Eugene's acting skills.

Also, my thoughts and theories:

Spoiler

It is still possible that YH didn't kill MSA. Although the chances are fine, I still see hope. So now we know what the betrayal is, here are my thoughts.

It is possible that YH tried to save MSA after DT pushed SA. Maybe MSA was just hanging here but she wasn't able to pull her up so she remembered wrongly out of guilt, which also explains the apple necklace she has. 

Also, some people said that the housekeeper is the twin's birth mother? I don't think so because I don't like DT knows that she's obsessed with him?

Idk how to feel about DT and YH as a potential love line. It feels weird? If it happens I don't think YH will like him she'll just be using him. I seriously don't know how to react with this.

Good luck with SSR battling out for 2 more seasons I guess.

Also, I just realised there will be two more weeks until this season ends.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

You wanna know what else is disappointing about YH? It's not just the fact that YH might have killed MSA. It's also the fact that YH turned her back on SR so quickly. Not to mention, her and JDT are eventually going to become a couple at some point. They obviously won't last but what's important is that she's gonna wanna take SR's place as queen of the penthouse. Let's ask ourselves. Is she really better than her arch nemesis SJ? Because I see a lot of similarities between them now. 

2 hours ago, Secretz said:

Hide contents

Idk how to feel about DT and YH as a potential love line. It feels weird? If it happens I don't think YH will like him she'll just be using him. I seriously don't know how to react with this.

"If it happens I don't think YH will like him she'll just be using him."

I agree. I have watched 6 dramas from this writer and I can say that this seems pretty accurate. Not only will YH use him, DT will fall for her just because he thinks she's "different and considerate." Only for him to find out later that that might not be the case. 

• Unamused 2

With YH turning evil I am just watching only for SR and LL falling in love. Even if it’s strange because her daughter is the adoptive dongsaeng of LL. But it is a kdrama, more a Makjang. LOL. 
Did I miss something ?! Episode 16 introduced us for the first time that SR knew DT killed her husband ?! Since when ?

I am really disappointed that YH is not on the good side anymore. Will they cut off SJ in season 2 ? Will SR will get revenge against DT and YH in season 2 ? BTW if SR leaves for the US, I suppose she would let the twins with their super psycho dad. So scary. I am really sad for all the children who are really broken because of their parents :( except for RN who was mistreated at school.  
Don’t know what the writer will do for season 3... It’s my first time watching one of her dramas. I am afraid we won’t see SR’s revenge until the ending of season 3. Oh god

Hopefully Park Eun Seok will be in season 2

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, poppie said:

Did I miss something ?! Episode 16 introduced us for the first time that SR knew DT killed her husband ?! Since when?

She found that finger in earlier episodes.

BTW if SR leaves for the US, I suppose she would let the twins with their super psycho dad.

I can't understand how she was raising them all those years. No affection at all. I understand, that she had her own daughter in hospital and now she has a mission, but she forgot tweens so easily. This part of her I don't like at all. She is a bad mother for tweens.

• Like 3

Eh, I don't feel that SR will leave the twins. If anything, I find that she will take the twins away(or attempt to) in order to throw Dantae off. I remember the twins always wanted to go overseas so they might leap on this chance as well. I feel that Logan has enough balls to tell Dantae and ENJOY telling him that I'm taking your wife and kids with me

Seo Jin is completely cracking. Not only is she being blackmailed, her letting her dad die is making her unstable.

I feel that YoonHee's acting can be abit annoying ESPECIALLY when she gasps and covers her mouth with both her hands. It's so over the top but that's also pure makjang lol

• Like 1

It is possible if SR agree with LL with leaving KR to US, perhaps bringing Hye In and the twins, for the sake of their safety and time skip to season 2 to more revenge as DT and YH will have (not so) special relationship (poor SJ lol she has been hoping to marry DT after all these times)

I feel bad for the twins when they suddenly startled and scared when hearing his father shouting aloud. 

I guess we will see more about YH's transformation from naive woman to somehow manipulative-perhaps SJ 2.0 (I hope not, but there has been several foreshadowing scenes of her and SJ)

• Like 3

Rona will have a better school life since she has soek hoon and the pe teacher to help her. thats great I hope things are getting better for rona and OHY. but OHY is working with dan tae? after what dan tae did to his loyal assistant after he made mistake, I think his assistant must resign, that's too scary working with boss like dan tae. dan tae is so evil, the writer didnt give any good things for him (except when he's giving car to OHY) and I think at least he support his daughter (although in a wrong way) when she's asking for help but he's also abusing his daughter? I also not expected that OHY killed seol a, but she's not having clear memories, will there be another plot twist about the killer? (dont know..since its already eps 18 but there will be s2 etc)

thats crazy if SR really have loveline with logan, we already mentioned it before earlier but can't believe if they really made it, they really expand the stories, with new twist and another..like soap opera..

wonder if anyone also feel that when logan lee speaks english his voice sounds like leonardo dicaprio's? lol

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone has already discussed this but I feel like Hye In is actually perhaps DT's biological niece. I find that the ease with which he calls her Joo Hye In is almost as if that is the only name he has every known her by and why would he bother calling her by his family name unless that is really her family name as well. Cause DT is a selfish RickRoll'D. If her name were any different he wouldn't let the world know of her existence in the first place since she is not his own daughter. But if she is his biological niece and his father supported Hye In and SR then that could explain why he let the world think Hye In is his daughter.

Ok. That is part 1 but there is something that im still confused about. Is Min seol ah actually the real Joo Hye In or is Joo Hye In another daughter of SR's? Cause im waiting for the drama to finish airing to watch but i keep getting recommendations to watch scenes and i can't help myself. Now i'm just totally confused and lost but totally hooked at the same time.

Somebody help....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Secretz said:

It is still possible that YH didn't kill MSA. Although the chances are fine, I still see hope. So now we know what the betrayal is, here are my thoughts.

It is possible that YH tried to save MSA after DT pushed SA. Maybe MSA was just hanging here but she wasn't able to pull her up so she remembered wrongly out of guilt, which also explains the apple necklace she has. 

There is that comment section, and a lot of us discussing there, me included, are hoping that's true (that Yun Hee is not the real murderer and Anna slipped from Yun Hee's grasp). There are two points that I wanna mention here.

(a) I guess according to forensics, it's going to be really hard distinguishing between Yun Hee having thrown Anna down and Anna slipping away from Yun Hee's grasp. For that reason alone, I think once Yun Hee is 'caught' as potential culprit, it's going to be really hard for her to escape. Especially since she destroyed that necklace. (But then that necklace makes no difference.)

(b) Right now, everyone including me is guessing that Yun Hee is going to part ways or betray Su Ryeon and possibly get closer to that psycho. In case of her remembering wrong, I guess that move is going to cost her far too much as soon as Su Ryeon and Logan have some reason to believe she is the killer.

And despite everything, I hope that she will stick to her code of morals - and want to put this possibility into the room as well: her 'Why don't you use me' could have been in a conversation between her and Su Ryeon (an icy one I'd expect after their dialogues in EP17, but nonetheless where Yun Hee is kind of angry on Su Ryeon for using her but will co-operate with her anyway) and her coming to the penthouse is actually either a scheme by Yun Hee, Su Ryeon and Logan to delibrately fool that psycho or her just coming to give back the car keys. Despite everything I still wanna hope she knows black from white when sober. I also hope her reaching her hand out to Su Ryeon is going to end the same way as last time when she tried that with Anna - not doing it because her code of morals kicks in.

Besides, It would also be the wisest thing for Yun Hee to put that psycho as a scapegoat, and play along with Su Ryeon and Logan. The last thing Su Ryeon would do is to doubt her and Su Ryeon's protection is what Yun Hee really needs, murderer or not. I hope Yun Hee figures that out.

I hope that Yun Hee will either have enough class to turn that psycho down, and then the whole 'dude killed to marry Su Ryeon' scheme will start again, only this time, there is no one he can kill, so what's he going to do. (But then that's sooo not makjang.)

If she does accept, I hope it's after talking it through with Su Ryeon and Logan - after Su Ryeon having filed for divorce and 'planting' (in a way) Yun Hee near that psycho to still get enough information. I really want Logan and Su Ryeon to just get away from this toxic madhouse, even if it's for a while. This is where 'Why don't you use me' could theoretically come into play.

Also, I just realised there will be two more weeks until this season ends.

I can't believe it as well! Two more weeks of blood-boiling makjang goodness and then a long-as-hell wait until mid Feb or even March.

15 hours ago, sonequeen01 said:

I agree. I have watched 6 dramas from this writer and I can say that this seems pretty accurate. Not only will YH use him, DT will fall for her just because he thinks she's "different and considerate." Only for him to find out later that that might not be the case. 

I guess that psycho will get a taste of his own medicine. Yun Hee holds a trump card against that psycho (which she may hide from Logan and Su Ryeon and use that somehow to blackmail him or something if the ruse gets uncovered). Yun Hee, despite possibly being a murderer, has certain morals and that's what I like about her. (Yeah, she may have blackmailed the congressman but then nobody is perfect) And if the psycho falls for exactly that, I guess he deserves to fall from success under Yun Hee's hands.

17 hours ago, lebritneeey said:

Firstly!! I'M LIVING FOR THIS RONA. like i actually like how she's behaving. i mean, it's not even as bad as what the other kids did to her. Even in the confrontation scene at the community room, Rona was calm and collected plus Eunbyeol was the one who started the fight because she was insecure (as always). And one thing stood out to me was the scene where Rona was about to head to school, she told Yoonhee "I will start fighting now". LIKE YOU GO GIRL.

I love how Ro Na shows the fire in her. There are a few snarky comments she made during her confrontation with Eun Byeol that was completely unnecessary, like stuff about Eun Byeol's weak mentality, but all in all, I'm glad to see her back as well. I just wish she won't be obsessed with revenge despite all bullying she has had to face, and that she, together with Seok Hun will find peace of mind without having to go down the vengeance path.

But, I am kinda bummed that Rona x Seokhoon's relationship isn't exactly genuine. Like its' pretty obvious (like what Seokyung told him) that she's "using" him as a "shield" in school. And I'm quite sure Seokhoon knows it too but I guess his heart's still soft for Rona. Anyway, there was this part where Rona told Seokhoon that he told her he liked her? Does anyone know if there was a scene where he actually said/confessed that? Cause I don't really recall him directly telling her he likes her..?

Me too! I hope they learn to love each other (she learns to love him genuinely) and heal each other's mental scars along the way, and him to repent for his mistakes, maybe reaching out to Su Ryeon or something. The conversation between the two of them was very one-sided and she basically gave him a really hard offer (since he wanted her to come back to school and graduate from it so badly, and I think was ready to throw himself as collateral for that purpose).

That scene where he sorta confessed to her was one of the deleted scenes from EP 14 where he went after her after her 'confession' to the gang that she was behind those Anna texts and promises to drop out of school. He basically tells Ro Na to not believe his sister and that he was honest with her (that was the confession) but she told him stuff - u can just look it up in YouTube or Twitter.

What I don't like is her decision to command him to go out with her, because that's her using his feelings. The way she just chuckled and said 'It'll be fun'; that's malicious intent and I don't want her to know or get used to or enjoy using other people. That's a dark path I really don't want her to go down. I loved the result, from the outside (from the view of either Seok Kyung or Jenny - that they're dating and she won't be bullied anymore) but I would have preferred him to ask her to use him as a shield, and her to pay him back and heal him because she wants to and feels bound to is much better than their current arrangement.

Maybe it's just me, but her requesting him to shield her and him offering himself as a shield without her request are two different things. 

AND DAMN I LOVE WHAT SEOKHOON TOLD EUNBYEOL. The fact that he told her that they aren't any different and that they themselves are all trash inside. WOWS. Like boi actually knows what he's talking about man. I see this as a tiny step to him getting a redemption arc. At least he knows he's wrong and that him and the gang are not special in anyway too. AND YAS HE TOLD EUNBYEOL ABOUT HER MOM. Like ok, I felt a tiny tiny pity for eunbyeol since she realises that her mom is a mistress and an adulteress which causes her a big mental breakdown.. 

I have waited for that moment where he basically declared they were as rotten as those people they called lowlives. He is either aware of that all along, and Ro Na's almost dropout brought him to action, or the almost-dropout made him realize what he is saying right now. You're right, that's character development right there. This is one step towards the redemption we have hoped from him.

And finally, the cat is out of the bag from Eun Byeol. For all that I had imagined could've happened, this was one better way for her to know it. Discreetly but disgustedly. Imagine RN or that PE teacher revealing the diva's affair in front of the whole class - poor girl would be broken! I guess her digesting this information alone is not good at all, she should be going to her dad for advice and actually believe him after knowing her mother has been betraying her all along, like this is her chance of getting back to a healthier life - please do something, poor girl.

10 hours ago, sasha1818 said:

Eh, I don't feel that SR will leave the twins. If anything, I find that she will take the twins away(or attempt to) in order to throw Dantae off. I remember the twins always wanted to go overseas so they might leap on this chance as well. I feel that Logan has enough balls to tell Dantae and ENJOY telling him that I'm taking your wife and kids with me

From Su Ryeon's declaration at the start of EP 17, I guess she might leave them behind. She wants the children to pay for what they did, including the Joo twins. But then, it's better for the president to lose his wife, his children and his wealth in a public divorce where she files his domestic abuse (where she could possibly team up with the children and they have more than enough proof on their body) and use it as a reason for divorce - and I hope the legal framework allows her to divorce him without him having to agree on it. That is gonna hit him harddddd. And Logan taking her away from him is going to be the icing on the cake - imagine the one you have viewed as an idol is here to take your wife and children away. That's gonna be a power move.

8 hours ago, convivialist said:

I feel bad for the twins when they suddenly startled and scared when hearing his father shouting aloud. 

Me too. Despite Seok Kyung's twisted personality, I somehow pity how she has to accept this as her fate. I guess she deserves it, seeing how she is so eager to bully people she thinks are irritating. But she really needs to snap out of the hurt and be hurt-cycle (and I hope her brother will do something asap) and I hope she does. How she nonchalantly devalues her life for some competition ...

And I hope they just run from the Penthouse next episode and find themselves somewhere to stay (Like Seok Hun possibly asking Ro Na to let him and his sister stay at hers for a few days, no questions asked and she accepts or something), from the fear in their eyes. I hope Ro Na hears about their abuse and somehow feels empathetic with them and have a confrontation with them about everything that has happened between them, but I guess that's just a hopeful wish from me, and not at all the development of a makjang drama...

Edited by Aolian
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Am I the only one confused as to how the episodes have ended on an uneven number? There were always 2 broadcasts a week, so Ep 1-2, Ep 3-4, 5-6, etc....how is 17 the latest episode? Did I miss something somewhere?

Also, my thoughts on Seok Kyung and Seok Hoon have always been...Seok Kyung has always had this nearly incest-like obsession with Seok Hoon. She always gets weirdly jealous and it makes me oddly uncomfortable. At one point I even wondered if they weren't really siblings to justify Seok Kyung's weird antics, but it doesn't look like the storyline is goin that way. I wonder why her character was written this way. Seok Hoon in the beginning was also almost like a boyfriend to her. Very odd, like way too overprotective.

I'm also curious what is the significance of having Yoon Hee struggling to recall what happened while drunk on the night of Seol-Ah's death. Just seems like a poor way to prolong the plot. By the laws of K-drama land, Yoon Hee is our protagonist, so she couldn't have committed the murder. Also...wouldn't Hera Palace have security cameras all over the place? How was nothing captured in the elevators and stairwells and hallways? You'd think people would check that first.

Edited by boafriendagain
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, boafriendagain said:

Am I the only one confused as to how the episodes have ended on an uneven number? There were always 2 broadcasts a week, so Ep 1-2, Ep 3-4, 5-6, etc....how is 17 the latest episode? Did I miss something somewhere?

There was a week where only one episode was broadcasted due to an international sports event going on. afterwards, the episodes started having odd numbers. They'll end this on EP21.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, boafriendagain said:

Yoon Hee is our protagonist

This is debatable. I always thought Su Ryeon was the main protagonist since Lee Ji Ah's name is always listed first while Eugene's name is always listed 3rd. And just because you're a protagonist, it doesn't mean you won't kill anyone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sonequeen01 said:

This is debatable. I always thought Su Ryeon was the main protagonist since Lee Ji Ah's name is always listed first while Eugene's name is always listed 3rd. And just because you're a protagonist, it doesn't mean you won't kill anyone. 

Thanks for that insight. I never took into account the name order. Su Ryeon is also sitting in the center of the cast poster too (I know this doesn't always mean anything, but just something that could support your idea). IDK why I always viewed Yoon Hee as the main character, mainly because she seemed to have more screentime and a story in the beginning. I think Episode 1 officially started showing her too. Su Ryeon only had small scenes until later in the drama when her story and connection to Seol-Ah began to unravel.

And very unrelated, but I think Su Ryeon has had some of the best looks in this series. Her outfits are so chic. That pant-blazer combo from Episode 17 was so nice. I would love if someone could do a costume analysis for this series. There is such a different feel between when she (Su Ryeon) and Seo Jin dress. Maybe due to her position, but Seo Jin is always in intimidating suits while Su Ryeon is more relaxed and wearable with her outfits.

Edited by boafriendagain
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Among all cast, I quite like the actor, Park Eun-Seok acted for Logan Lee, it's not because of his look, but his Linguistic excellence, he can master well in two different accents , switch two roles between a PE teacher and a savvy investor from high society. Awesome !!

Initially based on the news release, i thought he would pair up with Kim So yeon as her husband role before the actor Yoon Jong-Hoon took over. However, in my opinion, Logan Lee 's role is more suitable for Park Eun-Seok.

After watching EP 16 & 17, the most controversial and evil role in this penthouse drama had driven Kim So Yeon's excellent acting skills to another higher peak. 

i particularly admired and amazed by her acting skills in EP 17, the scene when she walked on the hallway to see her father's death in the hospital room, the camera had a closer shot on her face her bursting tears appeared in her red eyes turned up within few seconds while she was walking. Wow, awesome B)

Everything "seems" becoming acceptable and forgivable for Cheon Seo Jin, especially after learning her backstory. She was hoping so much from his father's caring love since young days but failed to receive it from him. All these while, his father's preaching is to make her become more competitive  (compete with her younger sister) no matter using what method, and push them to chase for the "BEST" with irrational parenting. Her upbringing background turn her into a "monster" and this monster (Cheon Seo-Jin) will continue the same of an authoritarian parenting style, forcing her daughter to follow tight schedules with little time to manage their daily lives and routines. 

It is sad to see many monster parents including how Joo Dan-Tae torture his twin children when they disobey him. The only storyline about the monster parenting in this drama that I can see is more realistic (instead of the revenge part) - most monster parents look at academics before anything else regarding their children. This phenomenon will continue arises in the Asian society. The social and psychological effects are huge for their children. Monster parenting style is a vicious cycle and becomes a long-term social issue. Parenting patterns are passed down from generation to generation as we can see from Cheon Seo-Jin's father and now from herself passed down to her own daughter, and causing her mentally unstable, behave aggressively and violence to get her way.

The only way to stop this is to inject new ideas from the western culture or there is any alternative parenting style to replace it.  Western culture mostly (not all) encourages growth mindset (instead of fixed mindset) and character development (instead of academic-focus). I hope this new parenting style will spread over to Asia as widely as possible even though we have already known about it, but not many parents adopting it yet due to the deep-rooted society and the increasingly competitive world. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

9 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Among all cast, I quite like the actor, Park Eun-Seok acted for Logan Lee, it's not because of his look, but his Linguistic excellence, he can master well in two different accents , switch two roles between a PE teacher and a savvy investor from high society. Awesome !!

Agreed. In terms of language, and as a native speaker, I am shocked at how crisp and articulate his English is. You generally only see this with actors who were born/raised abroad or studied abroad (ex. Lee Ji Ah). Had to look up Park Eun Seok and him having been a broadcast major might explain it. When Logan was first introduced without showing a face, I assumed the actor was some American-born Korean or even an American. And yes, the stark contrast between the PE coach and his Logan Lee persona is amazing. Very talented.

• Like 5

Park Eun-seok immigrated to the States when he was 7 years old and have lived in New York for over 15 years before moving back to South Korea when he was 22 years old because he wanted to become an actor, that's why his English pronunciation is good.

Merry Christmas from Logan Lee/Park Eun-seok and Soo-ryeon/Lee ji-ah ~~~

130837399-1257676821268438-4711984953386

Credit: Park Eun Seok's instagram https://www.instagram.com/_____silverstone_____/ 

Here's a Q&A which Lee Ji-ah did with Allure Korea where she explains Soo-ryeon's style of clothing. There's english subs, just turn on the closed caption on youtube.

She said when Soo-ryeon has to look feminine she wears a blouse and when she has to look tough she wears trench coats or suits.

If you are interested in Soo-ryeon or Seo-jin's fashion in the drama, have a look at https://www.instagram.com/kdrama_fashion/  

Glad LJA got invited to more variety shows after her appearance on SBS Running man.

She was on the show On & Off Episode 30 - 2020 November 28.

She will be a guest on Delicious Rendezvous episode tonight, preview below.

Spoiler

They have started shooting Season 2.

Spoiler

ep1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, lilcrash said:

Park Eun-seok immigrated to the States when he was 7 years old and have lived in New York for over 15 years before moving back to South Korea when he was 22 years old because he wanted to become an actor, that's why his English pronunciation is good.

Park Eun-seok's English accent does sound like a typical New York accent, at least to me. (I'd know this very well, lol) But that's awesome to know!

I binged ~ episode 4-15 last weekend and got more and more into it. And the finale of episode 15 was just great. Kim Soyeon was the first kdrama actress i became a fan of so i am super happy about all the acclaim and buzz she is getting. 

I think i watched the staircase + piano ending over 10 times. On the one side it is this bombastic and theatrical scene but i can point to a lot of subtleties as well. I love the touch where they tune in the grand orchestral music when her glance turns to the bag. And of course the piano performance after that. Very much like in a stage play where they would express their emotions that way.

And as someone already mentioned writing wise there isn't really much to go off to be honest.. which makes the performance even more amazing. 

And going into the drama i really wasn't too happy about Kim Soyeon's makeup. I just think she looks so much prettier with lighter and softer makeup. And she can still be a villain. But in that episode it really paid off. 

Just looking at these kdrama ending shots where they light up the screen. Insane.

ryPZKsK.png5p111BA.png

And often the villains are the scheming type, have everything under control etc. But she doesnt even have a plan. She is insecure, vulnerable and emotional. She has become so erratic what akes her really scary.

Anyway so i had just caught up in time for this weeks episodes and loved them as well.

Oh and as i was binging on my own and the super intense scene with Su-Ryeon and Lee Rogan came up.. where she stabs him with the pen. I was thinking to myself "I am probably the only one but god they are hot.. i kinda ship them". So when i catched up and read some of the comments. OF COURSE i wasn't alone on that ship lol and i am happy it might go sail :D

Oh and it's the first time i see people seriously considering Yoon-Hee might have done it. I do think it would be fun but it feels like one of those cases where i am like "is this the first time people are watching a kdrama?" This is not what happens in a kdrama like this. It's a very non specific argument because it is more of a feeling drawn from endless hours of kdramas. "They are not making her the murderer in a drama like this." Maybe i am completely wrong.

But if she was really the killer they could have just let her sleep with Yoon-Chul. They are teasing a lot of grey areas which i love but ultimately they will keep her clean.

Well that and the writer did the same in The Last Empress.

It's also possible they don't even know yet who did it and just decide on it later on.

• Like 2