[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

If you want the children to go to the school, make it believable. The only reson that is somewhat believable is when KSY forced her child to go to the school. I'm guessing she wants her to inherit her spot? Idk, I can BARELY believe that excuse given. The other two is just absurb. The OCD husband forcing his daughter to go to the school is just unconvincing. Is classical music the ONLY career she can go? 

As for Rona, AT LEAST she has a mother who cleans after her mistakes. Also, is that the only high school you can go to? Can't you apply to ANOTHER high school. If you lost, do something! I don't think anyone would want to be associated with their sworn enemy, I don't think KSY is gonna be nice to you or give you good grades even if you manage to enter.

The only two characters I like in this drama is the FL, and her dead daughter. One is dumb and the other is dead. I barely like Eugene's character and what? She tried to kill Seol A?!?!? At least she stopped after seeing how hard Seol A is going through, that doesn't change the fact that she had the intention. If I were her, I would just get Rona apply to ANOTHER high school.

My thoughts on episode 4:

The only reason I can think of them cleaning after the scene is if they instructed someone to kill? Or else they could've CALLED THE POLICE?!?!? 

I really hope Eugene isn't the one who did it, but then again, if she's the one, the rich people wouldn't be so scared to hide the evidence and just let the police handle her. Especially KSY, SHE WAS PLANNING THAT! We can see that one of the daughters were in fear when they mentioned Seol A ''commited suicide''? If it turns out to be Eugene, I QUIT this drama.

The suspense is here, the logic isn't, periodt.

R.I.P. Seol A

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 3

Someone on facebook compared this drama to "The world of the married" in terms of rating. He may be right, but "Married" was a much better drama and even that was underwhelming.

The holes in Penthouse is greater in number than a volcano crater.

Also, "Penthouse" reminds me of "Telenovelas are hell" videos, if you know what I mean .

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I don't think it was Oh Yoon-hee that threw Min Seol-ah out of the window, it was the man that Seol-ah encountered in the hallway, he was the one that did it. Yoon-hee probably freed Seol-ah, that's why she got blood on her hands, but how did (drunk) Yoon-hee find her there? Eun-byeol then pushed Seol-ah down the stairs, because her behaviour wasn't normal when the rich kids were discussing on Seol-ah's death news. 

There's the blood stain on Seo-jin's red gemstone with diamond ring when she slapped Seol-ah. The lawyer dropped the expensive antique skeleton pocket watch outside Seol-ah's place, will the police find it? 

What's in the usb found in Seol-ah's autopsy? 

I liked how Soo-ryeon saw the Ep 4 ending, it is better for her to see it with her own eyes than watching from a video. Her revenge plot will now begin! 

15 hours ago, yellowreign said:

Just finished episodes 3 and 4. This drama is like LOL but somehow I got hooked. Guess it explains when the same writer wrote temptation of wife... 

Feels like sky castle on the outside with all the drama in temptation of wife (remember the ridiculous thing of the female lead literally just adding a mole to become someone else...)

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone noticed some inconsistencies in the ballroom gowns in ep 4? They were wearing the Georgian(?) style ballroom gowns when Min Seol-a fell and also cleaned up the place in the same gown. Afterwards they changed into the modern-styled gowns at the main ceremony in front of the fountain. Now we are shown Cheon Seo-jin wearing her red gown when Min Seol-A bit her? A bit odd or maybe I missed out something!

Honestly thought this was becoming a black comedy with how the Hera Palace gang moved the body and cleaned the place up... it’s like ridiculous yet it suits how dramatic this drama is haha.

I didn't find it odd, it was a flashback. Seo-jin went to the mechanical room before she changed into those Georgian style ballroom gown.

• Like 6

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Secretz said:

If you want the children to go to the school, make it believable. The only reson that is somewhat believable is when KSY forced her child to go to the school. I'm guessing she wants her to inherit her spot? Idk, I can BARELY believe that excuse given. The other two is just absurb. The OCD husband forcing his daughter to go to the school is just unconvincing. Is classical music the ONLY career she can go? 

As for Rona, AT LEAST she has a mother who cleans after her mistakes. Also, is that the only high school you can go to? Can't you apply to ANOTHER high school. If you lost, do something! I don't think anyone would want to be associated with their sworn enemy, I don't think KSY is gonna be nice to you or give you good grades even if you manage to enter.

The only two characters I like in this drama is the FL, and her dead daughter. One is dumb and the other is dead. I barely like Eugene's character and what? She tried to kill Seol A?!?!? At least she stopped after seeing how hard Seol A is going through, that doesn't change the fact that she had the intention. If I were her, I would just get Rona apply to ANOTHER high school.

My thoughts on episode 4:

The only reason I can think of them cleaning after the scene is if they instructed someone to kill? Or else they could've CALLED THE POLICE?!?!? 

I really hope Eugene isn't the one who did it, but then again, if she's the one, the rich people wouldn't be so scared to hide the evidence and just let the police handle her. Especially KSY, SHE WAS PLANNING THAT! We can see that one of the daughters were in fear when they mentioned Seol A ''commited suicide''? If it turns out to be Eugene, I QUIT this drama.

The suspense is here, the logic isn't, periodt.

R.I.P. Seol A

Same with you . I don't know why I don't agree with Ro Na and her mother. Ro Na could attend another school, and make a proof to her enemy by debuting as an Idol maybe :grimace: . I think Eugene unconsciously pushed her child to the gates of hell by supporting her daughter to enter the school. You are right, Ro Na and her mother should think that after entering school, KSY and the group of Hera's children will not make life easy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lilcrash said:

What's in the usb found in Seol-ah's autopsy? 

My guess for USB is the video taken for their secret affair. She swallow it. She is smart, hoping someone can eventually find it.

I watched this drama thinking that penthouse was related to real estate story about their war of fighting on real estate businesses, but it wasn't at all :dissapointed:. Yes i agreed with @Nodame, it should change the name to "Hera's Palace"

The story's pattern is almost the same as the previous project, "Return", the way they handled and moved the dead body, only the good and innocent one will come back for revenge. All the evil parents and their children involved in this death accident will find fault with one another as their guilty conscience keep distracting them when story moves on. A guilty conscience that is not addressed properly will also make the person become more paranoid and delusional, it can also trigger shame, anger, and further sabotage their entire life and their relationship with others. We shall see more of those bad behaviours come out from their parents and their children after that incident, it can be very toxic.

The writer had created two main evil characters (Cheon Seo-Jin and Joo Dan-Tae) that talked negatively about that young tutor, Min Seol-A, in order to justify their bad behaviors or actions, because when someone mentioned about Min Seol-A , it reminded them and the rest what they had done on that night. Because of guilty conscience keep biting them, they may turn into resentful and try to do more harm to others that related to that night's falling down and fire burning accidents, should they get any opportunity. I can see Cheon Seo-Jin and Joo Dan-Tae will continue to do more killing and bad deeds in the following EP.

Same for the drama "Return" and "The Last Empress" - The verdict for punishment will soon arrive at the final EP...who will suffer the most in the end not the parents, not the children, but the viewers........:D:lol:OMG

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

Just started watching, because I like the cast, but as many have commented, there is way too much screaming...SBS seems once in awhile to have dramas where no one is likable  The wonderful thing about Kim SoYeons (happy Birthday to her!) earlier villainess in All about Eve, was that she was many facetted, vulnerable -  I don't know if the writer is going to allow many facets to these nasty ladies, though I'm sure the actresses will do their best. Looks like Lee JiAh will be the one to carry most of the vulnerability...As an actress, it can be fun playing the villain, but the stereotypes esp in Kdrama do not lift women up & the screaming becomes monotone , without layers...still I will watch here and there, looking forward to the comments in this feed

• Like 4

05ec9aa879a64e5eb594901febd0527e.jpeg?s=

“The Penthouse” Ratings Continue To Soar As It Hits New Personal Best Again
Posting only relevant material

SBS’s “The Penthouse” continues its meteoric rise in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the November 3 episode of “The Penthouse” recorded average nationwide ratings of 10.8 and 13.9 percent. This is a new personal best for the drama after it surpassed 11 percent last episode. The drama has set a new personal best for each episode that has aired since it premiered to ratings of almost 10 percent.

source

• Like 3

Usually I like healing drama, but sometimes drama like sky castle and world of the marriage makes me curious, same things with this drama that keeps me watching, although I always react like "unbelievable,what.."(the scene where ro na choke her neck, how poor min a's life and how the rich so mean esp the man villain, he did so many crimes its afraid to see how he will be punished ) but the fashion, the penthouse all so glamour, also I think the casts are really great too, some humors (I hope to see more humors) and eugene I haven't seen her since many years ago, I think bringing old casts like this is good.. 

• Like 4

Was it really necessary to straight up kill Min Seol Ah? I feel so bad for Ji Ah. That RickRoll'D of a husband she has, killed her husband and now her only child is gone too. And I believe there are certain lines that once crossed, you can't absolve even a kid from culpability. The Hera Palace kids are psychopaths, the way they tortured Seol Ah, you can't say that these were just harmless bullies, it was more than that....I am not interested in seeing their redemption act, I am not sure how they'd go for it and I hope they don't. The really belong in jail or juvenile detention center. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 10:29 AM, Thirtysvn37 said:

If I were rona, I would rather audition to be idol trainee lol. I am sure SM/YG/JYP has a place for her hahaha

And they give free academic tuition and give travel cards and lots of free lessons in music and dance. Ro Na is wasting her time in classical.

• Like 2

@Gaia2u OMG I agree I saw Kim So Yeon in "All About Eve" and she was amazing in that drama. Gosh after seeing the actress in real life and even the reality show WGM (she is a sweetie pie in real life). So NOT like her evil characters.

This drama is bringing back the vibes of early 2000's drama makjang and OVER the topness. I mean all the evil women had curly hair or perms. LOL the big hair was a sign that person was not nice. I feel like the American "Dynasty" equivalent with the dramatics, rich people and in fighting. The country, themes, and everything are different BUT can seem some vibes are the same.

@Nymeria289 OMG I agree why kill off Seol Ah so soon and to find out that she is Ji Ah's bio daughter-- that is just mean. But that is definitely a plot twist that we cannot get rid of. Darn it we don't have the go back in time element in this drama like Kairos etc of that ilk to change time/situations if you go back. I really liked Seol Ah as a character actually.

@tulip06 Ro Na would be amazing as a Kpop star. But seeing how they put them through the wringer and back and though they give lessons, travel and some perks. Their education ultimately is not "free" as it has to be all paid back by their success and when they make money. It is money spent as an investment in their future to be successful. I mean so many disband and owe debt if they don't debut to success. Even groups who get success still work /struggle for years paying off their agencies the "free" education/training they received as well as Room and Board. 

@Rainydays Love how you call this drama healing, for me it is a fun makjang over the top escape. I loved "World of the Married" and I need to watch "Sky Castle" at some point.

As I said before Penthouse is not accurate but Hera's Palace for me is a better title. LOL.

Looking forward to next week's episodes as we wait some bts

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I check episodes 3-4.:rolleyes: :D

Nasty kids, even nastier adults. There isn't an ounce of decency in every actions they do. Except for SR (who despite having the money still has the good  in her. She is martyr though)  everyone behaves like  self entitled and everyone owes them something.  This is a modern day drama but that theme party celebration with the wigs and Victorian era style feel too much.  tbh, I was really thinking classy type of drama. I've never seen previous dramas of the writer so. I'm not sure what to expect.  The scenes when they all realised the math tutor a body fell onto the sculpture fountain, the first time that came out of their mouth was the priceless art. That is not how it is in real life but...this is drama over the top. It's not even he makjang at it's finest. But true to form and in keeping....the episodes still has too much hysterics.

I like the actors in this drama. But the drama.. I'll persevere until then. We'll persevere. I'll pat myself if I even reach  episode  8 :D

• Like 2

@Rainy Days I must have read your post wrong. Sorry. Honestly I do not find it a relaxing or healing drama.

It is full of makjang and drama but great actors. I watch it honestly for the actors. But the over the top story at times makes me shake my head indeed.

I too did not care for how everyone is obsessed with their daughters to be opera singers was weird with this status but necessity to get into that Arts High School. I know this forum tackled this earlier and I do agree. Crazy! I mean ironic the daughter of Kim so Yeon’s character cracks under pressure. She is jealous of her main opponent Ro Na’s voice is exactly similar to the mom’s voice haunts her.

Still cannot wait for the next episodes.

• Like 5

Just finished ep 5. Think I have reached a stage where I’ve calmed myself down already haha no longer getting too angry when watching this drama. Overall this ep wasn’t as intense as last week’s, also just building up for tomorrow’s ep...

Some thoughts (typing this on the phone after I finished the ep so just writing whatever I remembered, not really in order:

Spoiler

- Lee Ji Ah’s character is just finding out stuff and keeping quiet... she’s just observing in ep 5. Sometimes get bored watching the same expression on her face. Wonder if she will work with Eugene later in this drama (see below)

- Aww Eugene actually helped Min Seol A at the restaurant last time when she was stalking her! Think today’s ep is like the least annoying she has been in the last few eps. I think I can continue watching her (Eugene) for now. Last week I fast forwarded all her screaming scenes and also Rona’s. Lee Ji Ah is just quietly watching Eugene speak up for Min Seol A lol. Can’t really figure out what Lee Ji Ah was thinking from that expression.

- Urgh at the adults framing Eugene for Min Seol A’s death but HAHA at Cheon Seojin’s face when Dr Ha just ruined their plan by being Eugene’s alibi at the final moment. He announced in front of all the parents that he was with Eugene that night at Hera Palace. Flashback - She had nothing to do with Min Seol A’s death, just destroyed stuff in Cheon Seojin’s lesson room lol when she was drunk and that’s where the blood on her hands and Dr Ha’s hands came from.

- Also to add on, kids’ golf scene in the earlier part of the ep was quite random LOL seok kyung even tried to do what Seri Pak (famous Korean golfer) did in 1998 US Open by taking off her sock and shoes and going into the water... and slipped HAHAHA. But anyway, like there were so many useless frames/scenes here when all they wanted to show was Eunbyul acting oddly

- Eunbyul is like... idk. Man she was crazy too that night, chasing after Min Seol A with that look on her face

Once again so many things didn’t make sense in this ep (so many things I can question on the logic...) but yea just gotta ignore them and watch for the drama :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh I'm rooting for Lee Ji Ah now. Finished watching the ep 5, which is a bit relaxing than the previous episodes. I hope the drama doesn't drag for the sake of ratings.

The inconsistency of the characters is a let-down though. At one point, they seemed calm and composed, or timid, and the next they became irritating and annoying. Especially that daughter of KSY. The way her character is portrayed is confusing.

• Like 2

@yellowreign Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Def can agree with you. I love EUGENE and so I was not keen on her screaming and yelling too. So I loved she was redeemed and frankly I did not THINK she would kill . Now her nemesis LOL she wants to but not the student. So the fact she stood in and pretended to be the mom---yes. 

Yeah don't get the bio mom and her expressions. I know she is full on observation but I hope she appreciated what Eugene's character did for her daughter what SHE did not do as she was not aware of her actual status to her AFTER she died. Awww thanks for mentioning Seri Pak (slipping in doing that) I did not know. Makes sense.

The bratty kids are so annoying. I know it is the point. But when they say the quiet ones are scary, dang  EB was scary when she tried to clobber and kill Anna Lee. Now she is haunted by those memories. Moments of anger/adrenaline and then later on regret and nightmares of what she did. Yikes. Was she DEAD already when she was pushed out of the elevator?

Glad that Congressman (cheater) was killed but by who? Poor Eugene's character has to be there (bad timing) to find the body.

@Jillia Thanks for the stills my friend.

@Nyein Chan Yeah I do feel the characters are too all over the place. I TOO am not taking this seriously.

ep 7 preview 

episode 6 clips  in spoiler tag

Spoiler

• Like 3