Network: SBS

Episodes: 20

Genre: Suspense, Business

Airdate: October 26th, 2020 - January 5th, 2021

Airtime: Mon & Tue @ 22:00 KST

Writer: Kim Soon Ok

Director: Joo ong Min

Story:

One woman falls from a building, and the main characters appear with eyes of shock, fear, and anger. The fallen woman lands in the statue’s embrace, and the goddess is now dripping with bright blood. People with fancy wigs who look like they just came out of an old musical stare at the sight in awe. This ambiguous and symbolic clip further increases curiosity about the tangled web of deceit the characters will become involved in.

Cast:

Eugene as Oh Yoon Hee

She  comes from a poor family background. She works hard for her children's success. She wants to belong to the upper class for her children.

Kim So Yeon as Cheon Seo Jin

She was born into a wealthy family. She is arrogant. Her husband is Ha Yoon Cheol.

Lee Ji Ah as Shim Soo Ryun
She was born into wealth. She is now an elegant woman of the upper class and she is like the queen of the Penthouse Apartment. Her husband is Joo Dan Tae. 

Uhm Ki Joon as Joo Dan Tae
He is successful in business and real estate.

Park Eun Seok as Ha Yoon Chul
He is a chief surgeon at a general hospital and an ambitious man.
Supporting cast:

Shin Eun-Kyung - Kang Ma-Ri

Bong Tae-Gyu - Lee Kyu-Jin

Yoon Jong-Hoon - Ha Yoon-Cheol

Park Eun-Seok - Goo Ho-Dong

Yoon Joo-Hee - Go Sang-A

Ha Seok Jin as Logan Lee

Heo Sung-Tae - Ma-Ri's husband

Jin Ji-Hee - Yoo Je-Ni

Kim Hyun-Soo - Bae Ro-Na

Choi Ye-Bin - Ha Eun-Byeol

Na So-Ye - Joo Hye-In

Kim Young-Dae - Joo Seok-Hoon

Lee Tae-Vin - Lee Min-Hyeok

Ha Do-Kwon - Ma Du-Ki

Jung A-Mi - Chairwoman Song

Lee Cheol-Min - Yoon Tae-Joo

Lee Hyo-Bi - Seol-A's younger sister

Yoon Bok-In

Yoo Jung-Woo

Character Chart:

glT1602805716033.png

Teasers:

Season 1

Spoiler

Season 2

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020] Penthouse, 펜트하우스 - Lee Ji Ah

I have not intended to watch this drama at all because I don`t like the crazy makjang of this writer`s style but I will watch because it seems that my girl Kim so yeon will be in it.

Nobody is confirmed yet but they are all in different stages of discutions. 

More informations from articles.

Oh Man-seok will play the role of Ha Yun-cheol in the play, and will focus mainly on Kim So-yeon, who plays the role of Chun Seo-jin. Soyeon will play the villainess in this drama. I hope she will have a good role, nuanced and not a villainess over the top. But I don`t always get all I want.

Kim So yeon, Eugene and Lee Ji Ah are the three female leads.

They want to make this drama in two seasons but it is nothing confirmed yet.

Some sources said that it will have a summer broadcast but others said it is still undecided.

Another actor in talks is Kang Tae Oh.

Kim So Yeon, Oh Man Seok, And Shin Eun Kyung In Talks To Join New Drama By “The Last Empress” Creators

2a7f3e0433084719b2d100944e5142f4.jpeg?s=

Kim So Yeon, Oh Man Seok and Shin Eun Kyung are in talks for SBS’s new drama from the creators of “The Last Empress.”

On January 9, Kim So Yeon’s agency J Wide Company stated, “Kim So Yeon has received an offer for SBS’s new drama ‘Penthouse’ (working title) and is reviewing the role.”

A representative from SBS also stated, “Shin Eun Kyung, Oh Man Seok, and Kim So Yeon are all positively reviewing their appearances in ‘Penthouse.'”

“Penthouse” tells a real estate story of a woman who juggles ambition and motherhood as she gradually turns into a monster while trying to enter both the high society and a luxury penthouse in the Gangnam District.

The drama is the highly-anticipated reunion of writer Kim Soon Ok and PD Joo Dong Min, who worked together on the popular SBS drama “The Last Empress,” which Shin Eun Kyung appeared in.

Previously, Lee Ji AhEugene, Shin Sung Rok, and Bong Tae Gyu were revealed to also be in talks for the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1376117wpp/kim-so-yeon-oh-man-seok-and-shin-eun-kyung-in-talks-to-join-new-drama-by-the-last-empress-creators

The first female lead (the central character) in Penthouse is a grey character. She is ambitious and we`ll see her transformation  throughout the drama. She will become a 'monster' wanting to archive her desires, one of them is to get a penthouse in Gangnam. The story reminds me more of Sky Castle because the leading lady there became obsessed and made some wrong decisions. She was not a really nice lady. I remember disliking her more than the teacher. :D No all makjang is bad.  Sky Castle had a better script than Last Empress so I would like to see a similar story/ character development. I know that my opinion is highly subjective. But if the writer will keep the audience interested, I am OK. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Update: Shin Sung Rok In Talks Along With Eugene And Lee Ji Ah For New Drama By “The Last Empress” Creators

Dec 27, 2019
by E. Cha

c8feff929c5f4f73a7f9a810d53b8379.jpeg?s=

Shin Sung Rok may be reuniting with the creators of “The Last Empress“!

The actor’s agency shared on December 27, “Shin Sung Rok received the offer to star as the male lead of ‘Penthouse’ (literal title) and is positively reviewing the offer.”

Shin Sung Rok previously worked with writer Kim Soon Ok and director Joo Dong Min on “The Last Empress” and also with Joo Dong Min on “Return.”

In addition to Shin Sung Rok and Eugene, Lee Ji Ah is also in talks to star in “Penthouse.”

S.E.S.’s Eugene may finally be making her long-awaited return to the small screen!

On December 27, Eugene’s agency In Company officially confirmed, “Eugene is in talks for writer Kim Soon Ok’s next drama.”

The upcoming drama in question is reportedly SBS’s “Penthouse” (literal title), which will tell the story of a woman who puts everything on the line to achieve her goal of being able to move into a luxury penthouse in the Gangnam District. In the process, she gradually finds herself turning into a monster.

The dramatic tale of ambition, motherhood, and success in real estate will mark the highly-anticipated reunion of writer Kim Soon Ok and producing director (PD) Joo Dong Min, who last worked together on the hit SBS drama “The Last Empress.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1373835wpp/s-e-s-s-eugene-in-talks-for-new-sbs-drama-by-the-last-empress-writer-pd

A funny fact. All the actors who are in talks right now except Eugene (maybe) played a baddie.

So far only Kim So yeon is confirmed to be the villainess in this drama but I wonder who will join. I suspect that there will be more then one in Penthouse. :lol:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, monalisa said:

Sounds a tad similar to a 2013 Hong Kong movie, Dream Home. Will be interesting to watch.

I checked the synopsis of that movie. Maybe the main heroine will have the same desperation but I hope she won`t start killing people because of that greed. ;)

The heroine from the synopsis is interesting. She is not a nice lady like the majority of heroines in kdramas. I wonder if the woman who wants to enter high society, obsessing about living in the penthouse and becoming a monster along the way will have a good ending. She will stop in time (with or without help) realizing what she became or it will be too late for her?

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, rocher22 said:

I like that KSY will play a different role than the previous one.

You mean a different type of character than her recent role? Or a different kind of villain?

I like that she is playing all kind of different roles each time. I suspect she doesn`t get many offers to chose but at least she gets different characters to play. It is time now for her to play in a makjang as well. :D So far I never was dissapointed by her roles. I will trust to chose well this time too.

I like that it is a ensemble type of drama. I hope there will be many interaction between the characters. There are a lot of lead characters in Penthouse.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, larus said:

You mean a different type of character than her recent role? Or a different kind of villain?

I like that she is playing all kind of different roles each time. I suspect she doesn`t get many offers to chose but at least she gets different characters to play. It is time now for her to play in a makjang as well. :D So far I never was dissapointed of her roles. I will trust to chose well this time too.

I like that it is a ensembple type of drama. I hope there will be many interaction between the characters. There are a lot of lead characters in Penthouse.

This new role is different from her role in family dramas.

Although, I think KSY would be great in some crime drama as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Although, I think KSY would be great in some crime drama as well.

I agree. That genre would be her next. Like a female detective centric drama just like Kim Seo Hyung`s role in Nobody Knows. Daytime dreamer. :D

12 hours ago, larus said:

A funny fact. All the actors who are in talks right now except Eugene (maybe) played a baddie.

So far only Kim So yeon is confirmed to be the villainess in this drama but I wonder who will join. I suspect that there will be more then one in Penthouse. :lol:

Another interesting fact. Both Shin Sung Rok and Oh Man seok are musical actors. Kang Tae Oh is a singer as well. Can they sing a song in this drama? :D

There are a lot of reunions for the actors too.

First Shin Sung Rok. It is a third reunion with the PD Joo Dong Min ( after The Last Empress, Return), the second reunion with the writer Kim Sun Ok (The Last Empress). Shin Sung Rok played with Eugene before in Three Fathers, One Mother , with Shin Eun Kyung in Last Empress, with Oh Man Seok in Hyena.

Shin Eun Kyung reunion with the PD and writer after The Last Empress and Bong Tae-Gyu reunion with Shin Sung Rok and PD (Return). 

Kim So yeon appeared in a cameo in Lee Ji Ah`s Athena drama but they never met.

• Like 2

If Shin Sung Rok and Shin Eun Kyung were villains in her last drama, maybe the writer will make both of them a goody two shoes kind of character. :D

I have an idea for Shin Sung Rok. He could play Superman, entertaining the kids.

c8f34c534bda1f951f235a9d014833d35a09f51c

906a640b4edac1ea966046270d44c5f8092f9458

:w00t:

I am done. I will wait for news.

• Like 1

I read a little more information about this drama.

Eugene will play the main character who will try to enter high society.

After a serious injury to the vocal cords, she lost her dream of singing and now specializes in selling homes for rich people. She was never rich until he met a woman. 
The main character, who received the best real estate information on silent condition in the case of accidental sightings, grabbed the last ticket to Gangnam, interrupted the high society, and chose a completely different life to succeed in both real estate, education, money and knowledge. (Google translate)
 Characters names and other actors who will appear in the drama (not sure if it is official)
Eugene as Oh Yun Hee
Kim So yeon as Cheon Seo Jin (Chun Seo Jin)
Lee Ji Ah
Oh Man suk as Ha Yun Chul
Shin Eun Kyung as Kang Mari
Shin Sung Rok
Bong Tae-gyu
Heo Sung-Tae 
Jin Ji-hee
Yoo Jung Woo

It says that this drama it will air on Wednesday and Thursday night. (Hmmmm... This timeslot was not doing well on SBS. In the present there are no dramas on this time slot. Let see if Penthouse will reopen the timeslot. )

Other source says that it will air Every week, Thursday night, 10:00 ~ 11:10
Genre Drama, Mystery
70 minutes of broadcasting (35 minutes per episode)
Broadcast in August.
18 episodes

Just one episode (two short episodes ) a week? 9 weeks?
It is a mystery drama? I like that.

It is not clear from where she has the money (saved money?) (Maybe I was lost in translation)
I assume the woman she meets is Chun Seo Jin (Kim So yeon). Or more likely, Seo Jin will oppose her to enter the high society, maybe she dislikes her and sees her as competition. :lol:(of couse, this is a common drama clichee to see rival women and I think this is what we are going to see). Did they set eyes for the same house?
On paper, the titular character seems more interesting but I can`t wait to read about Soyeon`s character. Why she is the villainess (what makes her click, what motivates her), how she is like and what personality she has.

Is Heo Sung-Tae going to be in the drama? I like him. The last time I saw him was in Watcher.
I think I read about Jin Ji Hee and Yoo Jung Woo in an article. I don`t know her but I saw the young actor in Secret Boutique and Spring Turns to spring last year. We`ll see if the cast will confirm. 
See Ya!

• Like 3

@stroppyse  chingu, can you do me a favor? I want you to translate something. I don`t understand the bold part when I use Google translate. Would you be so kind to help me? Thanks!

Spoiler

상류사회 입성을 향해 인생을 걸고 질주하는 한 여자의 욕망과 모성, 부동산 성공 신화를 그린 드라마.

'펜트하우스'는 강남의 상징인 최고층 펜트하우스 입성을 향해 인생을 걸고 질주하다 점점 괴물로 변해가는 한 여자의 일그러진 욕망과 모성, 부동산 성공 신화 이야기다. 우연히 목격한 살인사건에 침묵하는 조건으로 최고급 부동산 정보를 얻게 된 주인공이 강남행 마지막 티켓을 거머쥐고 상류사회에 끼어들어 부동산과 교육, 돈과 지식 두 가지를 다 성공하기 위해 완전히 다른 삶을 선택하는 내용이다.

About Oh Yun Hee played by Eugene

성대가 크게 손상되는 사건을 겪은 후로 성악가의 꿈을 잃고 현재는 돈 많은 사람들을 상대로 비밀스러운 집을 구해주는 일을 전문적으로 하고 있다. 한 여인을 만나기 전까지 태어나서 한 번도 부유해본 적이 없는 인물이다.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Also, @larus, I'm not sure that you're tagging correctly. I didn't realize you had tagged me, and I was coincidentally checking out the thread when I saw that you had asked for a translation.

I know how to tagg (after so many years!) but I could not do it last night.I was in a hurry and I improvised something. Did not work. :) But lucky me. We visit this thread.

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Translation of the bold text:

The plot has to do with the main character who having accidentally witnessed a murder, gains some information on the best prime real estate on the condition of silence (about that murder), and thus grabs the last ticket to Gangnam to jump into the highest social circles, choosing to change his life completely in order to succeed at real estate, education, money, and knowledge.

Thank you very much. I needed a better translations. It is something similar for me too. I read "accident/ witness murder` and I guessed the rest.

So this drama is indeed a mystery drama. It will be a murder in this drama just like in The Last Empress and Return. The high society and murder. The same combo. :lol: 

Things are complicated.  Yun Hee (Eugene) will get rich and get the penthouse after the encounter with a woman so I assume the woman  will kill somebody. It is possible that woman to be Seo Jin (Kim So Yeon). If the heroine will enter the high society through blackmail, it won`t be easy for her there. They became complices but in the same time, Seo Jin won`t stay with this weakness forever. She will try to eliminate her subtly.

I don`t like the writer`s style at all (I tried to see some scenes from her old dramas and I am afraid that watching  another work will be my personal hell) but I believe she will make this drama interesting to watch for the audience. I feel it will be a "crazy" ride. The synopsis made me interested. Let see the execution. August is so far away!

I am waiting for other character`s descriptions. I will ask for help again if I will have another confusion. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Have fun watching! I agree that it's going to be a crazy ride. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'm not a fan of this writer, though the cast looks amazing.

I am not a fan either. I even watched again some scenes from her hit dramas to get used to her style. Nope, I hate it. I feel angry inside watching her dramas. Not interested at all. Screaming, soap operish clichees, over the top situations/ characters. I know that there are lot of people who like her dramas and that`s OK. I can recognize that she makes many twists and turns that is keeping the audience interested. It is just my personal taste, a personal incompatibility. :) But my girl will be in it so I will watch it. I won`t spoil the mood of others with negativity but right now I am at stage of self pity or at bargaining stage (not sure):w00t: What are the odds that just this time I will like her next drama? But I still want to keep the faith. :D

Yeah, the cast is good. I even like that the heroine is not goody two shoes type, Soyeon is playing a villainess (she could be a murderer, a totally different role. It looks like it is a female centric drama. There are not many episodes. I see potential in the script so it could be a good makjang. We`ll see.

Thanks again for your disponibility. See ya in another thread. :)

• Like 1

There is an article interview of actor Heo Sung-tae and it mentioned that he will appear in SBS drama Penthouse playing a foolish dad.

From the sound of it I think he will be a good guy, a reversal of his previous work..

35786_45930_4410.jpg

Heo Sung-tae, who finished the Psychopath Diary, is going to find viewers again with this year's SBS new drama 'Penthouse'. Heo Sung-tae, who appears as Shin Eun-kyung's husband, Jin Ji-hee's father, and Shin Sung-rok's helper, said, "I don't know exactly the role yet, but I heard that there is a big reversal."

https://newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202001161631198010

Yesterday, I've read 'Winds, Clouds, and Rain', the next TV set of director Yoon Sang-ho. I'm coming out for a special appearance. Starting next month, we will be preparing an SBS Penthouse. Shin Eun-kyung's senior husband and Jin Ji-hee is the daughter. I think I'll learn acting well from Shin Eun-kyung. "

https://www.ytn.co.kr/_sn/1406_202001161815023900

So next month they start preparing for the drama. I hope we`ll know soon the whole cast.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Shin Sung Rok has officially confirmed to appear in SBS Drama Penthouse.

2020020115204654844_1.jpg

HB Entertainment official of the agency said on the 1st Star News, "Sung Rok decided to appear in the 'penthouse'."

Shin Sung-rok's role in the Penthouse is Ju-dan Tae. He is a representative of an investment company and a wealthy real estate agent.

'Penthouse' depicted the desire, motherhood, and real estate success story of a woman who raced for the entrance to high society. It is scheduled to air this year.

http://star.mt.co.kr/stview.php?no=2020020115204654844&MS2

I was hoping for more informations about his character. I think more actors will officially confimed soon. The drama is scheduled to air in summer. Some sourses mention June or August. One says it will be a Monday Tuesday drama , other source says Wednesday and Thursday. Make up your mind. :lol: I want official news.

In another article we find out more about Shin sung Rok`s character in the drama.

Shin Sung-rok is known as a representative of an investment company and a wealth of real estate in Penthouse. Joo Dan-tae is a man who has a mysterious secret to another man behind the scenes of sweeping through the net building and real estate in Gangnam. Shin Sung-rok is expected to try a different acting transformation than he has shown in many works through her transformation to Ju-dan Tae.

Sung-rok Shin already has a relationship with PD Joo-min and Kim Soon-ok. In the 'Empressor's dignity', where the two acted in directing and scripting, they depicted the emperor's acting power as the emperor Lee Hyuk of the Korean Empire. Also, with PD Dong Joo-min, he also set his breath as a 'return' before 'the dignity of the empress.'

As such, the reunion between Shin Sung Rok, PD PD Joo-min and Kim Soon-Ok raises expectations for the Penthouse. Shin Sung-rok will lead most of the plays by playing a major role in the Penthouse. Shin Sung-rok's other acting transformation is intriguing.

Meanwhile, SBS's new drama 'Penthouse' will soon finish the casting of other actors including Shin Sung Rok and begin shooting.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202002011423577224430_1

An article at soompi. That was fast.:D

Shin Sung Rok Confirmed To Reunite With “The Last Empress” Creators In New Drama

Feb 1, 2020
by J. Lim

6a1c23407b434a33807709c250d22910.jpeg?s=

Shin Sung Rok is set to appear in a new drama!

In December, it was reported that Shin Sung Rok was positively looking over an offer to appear in the upcoming drama “Penthouse.” On February 1, his agency HB Entertainment confirmed, “Shin Sung Rok has made the decision to appear in ‘Penthouse.'”

“Penthouse” will be a drama written by screenwriter Kim Soon Ok and helmed by producing director (PD) Joo Dong Min, who worked on the hit SBS drama “The Last Empress” together with Shin Sung Rok. The drama will center around one woman’s ambition, motherhood, and success as she rises in the real estate business with one goal in mind, to become a part of the high society.

Shin Sung Rok will take on the role of Joo Dan Tae, the head of an investment firm and genius in the real estate industry.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1380509wpp/shin-sung-rok-confirmed-to-reunite-with-the-last-empress-creators-in-new-drama

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I. Am. So. Excited. For. This!!!

It is good to see others beeing excited. I am afraid that my excitement will end when the drama will start.  But I think seeing the cast interact will be enough for me. Hope dies last.

I don`t know if Shin Sung Rok and Shin Eun Kyung  will share many scenes together in this drama but it seems that they will have reversed roles. They won`t be the "crazy" ones. :lol: He will be the boss of Kang Mari`s husband (Heo Sung-tae) and I think they will have more scenes together. Shin Sung Rok is a GENIUS real estate investors and I think he will share many scenes with Eugene. 

About Oh Man Suk and Shin Sung Rok , maybe their characters will be on different side here. I am curious what is the on screen relationship between the genius businessman and Bong Tae-gyu`s character in this drama too. :)

BTW, I was watching the scene you posted with Eugene and Shin sung Rok and I was thinking...what the hell I am watching until I realise that it was an imagination scene/ daydream. :lol:Well, they will have more money now.

• Like 3

@larus lol! I'n excited for anything SSR related. I've turned to be quite a biased drama watcher :sweatingbullets:.

The plot doesn't intrigue me much. I was secretly hoping SSR and Oh Man Seok to be rich children daycare owners at the penthouse and they'll teach them how to sing and cook among other things :P. Didn't expect him to be geniuuuus real estate agent. This role seems somewhat like his role in Return.

I just wish he's a protagonist and I can root for his happiness. Please don't be super cray2 evil. Hua3

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

14 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

The plot doesn't intrigue me much. I was secretly hoping SSR and Oh Man Seok to be rich children daycare owners at the penthouse and they'll teach them how to sing and cook among other things :P. Didn't expect him to be geniuuuus real estate agent. This role seems somewhat like his role in Return.

I hope they will sing a little in this drama. Both have musical acting background. Maybe they will have a scene where they both sing while drunk. I don`t like the drunk scenes in kdramas much but I will be fine in this case. :)

I expect a different role for him. I wish they did not cast him in similar role so soon but we`ll see. The synopsis says that he has a secret or it is another man who has the secret. I hope it is not a dead body again. :lol: Unfortunetly, there will be a dead body. Someone else will hide it this time. I hope the writer toned down the craziness.

The heroine has the music background again. I vaguely remember that in The Last Empress the heroine wanted to be a musical actress. Now she has a failed dream to be a singer. About the synopsis, I don`t know why the heroine wants to be in high society that bad but I like that it is a woman centric drama. I like those dramas. I also hope the women won`t want to murder each other every time they met. It is too much to ask for female friendship?  Or at least a complicated relationship.

14 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I just wish he's a protagonist and I can root for his happiness. Please don't be super cray2 evil. Hua3

It seems that you don`t have much faith.  I remember someone commenting, when she saw Shin Sung Rok, Shin Eun Kyung and Oh Man seok being courted for this drama, that she doesn`t know who to trust. :D With this writer, we don`t trust anyone.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3