[Drama 2021] Penthouse/War in Life, 펜트하우스

0ly40

11 hours ago, lilcrash said:

It was not Ro na, it was Min Seol-ah/Anna Lee (fake name)/maths tutor.

-----------------

So after the broadcast of Ep 1 & 2 this week, the Korea Communications Standards Commission received 190 complaints on this drama for inappropriate content. The content rating for Ep 1 & 2 was 15+. Ep 3 will stay 15+, due to the complaints SBS decided to change the content rating for Ep 4 to 19+.

News link: https://tenasia.hankyung.com/drama/article/2020102940664

So we can expect that cute little dog to die?  Also very upset that Seol A will die.  If it's because those kids pushed her, they need to go to adults' prison.  If it's because she jumped, then I feel sad in advance.  

3 hours ago, Jenn H said:

There is no other instruments. Just vocalist. Such a specific job that requires specific born-talent. Asian families usually want their children to be doctors, lawyers, successors of their business, etc. I wasn't expecting the makjang and the vocalist thingy.

I was thinking that too!  No one is playing piano or violin?  I get they want their kids to go to SNU, and the arts high school feeds into it, but come on.

And oh my gosh, those teens are so evil!  made me feel a bit too sick.  I thought that twin oppa might be a bit chill deep down, but he turned out to be the scariest one.  

• Like 5

Penthouse: Episodes 1-2 (Review)

by missvictrix

PH0102_1.jpg

Poised to be a big, juicy hit for SBS, their new thriller melo Penthouse banged down the door with its premiere week ratings (up to almost 12% by Episode 2), and a story that promises to be every bit as overly dramatic as we might expect.

Note: This is an opening week review only.

EPISODES 1-2 REVIEW

Penthouse seems like the kind of drama that is perfectly summed up with its first three minutes, which is actually a rather impressive feat. Setting, scope, and above all — tone — are made abundantly clear.

That introduction starts with sweeping aerial views of Seoul at night. A sumptuous fireworks display goes off, all visible from the palace-like tower we’re focusing on. The music is dramatic and tense, and the scenery is even more so as we peek into the building and witness the sheer pomp of the Rococo-esque ball taking place. Meaningful looks are shot across the ballroom as the music soars. A woman on a different floor dresses as if she’s an untouchable goddess. Someone falls from the top of the tower to their death. This is gonna be a crazy drama.

I came to Penthouse out of curiosity, but I think I underestimated how over-the-top this drama was going to be. Coming from the writer of An Empress’s Dignity I had some idea, but at the same time my brain wasn’t ready for the amount of screaming, fighting, screeching, abuse, affairs, and birth secrets we were about to encounter in our drama’s premiere week. To be fair, each episode runs up to 90 minutes, so there’s plenty of screen time to make all of this happen— and with fifteen characters to keep track of (I do not exaggerate here!), Penthouse needs all the time it can get.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/penthouse-episodes-1-2-review/

When someone says (like the author of this article) that she has a high tolerence for over dramatics and melo and finds this drama a turning off how about me, who hates this kind of stuff? I feel better now. I thought I was exagerating/over dramatic myself. :w00t:.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/penthouse-episodes-1-2-review/

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 2

Me after finishing ep 2 with a lot ff  :persevere:

So the  all mothers are  are still at war. YH doing everything for daughter Rona. She's going to see her daughter achieve what was robbed of her- by SJ- when she was young. 

Meanwhile MSA gets  first place but still gets played at harassed looked down upon. But heck she got the evidence of the affair on her cellphone.  And the twins, and teens I agree with @tulip06 I thought the guy twin was also cool but heck he said he'll do anything for his sister. I was gonna like him in a way but nah.. jerk move. 

I guess for the arts the writers story focused mainly finding the next prodigy opera singer. The main plot me think is how the wealthy wives ( the husbands are like side offerings in the story) use their clout and power and money to influence outcome and decision to favor on their side.   Me thinking... Housewives of Hera place :D

So who pushed MSA? 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Yes, it's really weird that everyone is focused on making their daughter into an opera singer, which is such a niche thing. They're not allowed to do anything else with their life?

This is the writer-director team that made "The Last Empress" (I didn't see it) and the director made "Return." (which I did see). I see that two of the actors from that show are the husbands here - the doctor and the lawyer.

Anyway, to compare the two shows (Return and Penthouse) - there is a certain... emotional disconnect. It's not possible to regard any of these people as actual human beings.

The formula seems to be - everyone is absolutely garbage, and the one reasonably decent human being brings them all down by the final episode, but at great personal expense. There. I've summarized the whole show for you! :lol:

Random thoughts:

- So the evil guy has an actual torture chamber built into his home.

- He's been fooling his wife that she has a comatose daughter? But he thinks her real daughter is dead? (But it's really Min Seol Ah.) Why? Is she the one with the actual money in this family?

- So. Much. Screaming.

- So. Many. Mirrors.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

After two episodes.. I dunno what to say   ... I really got annoyed by RoNa.. Yeah she is desperate to be a classical singer... Blaming her mom saying it's her fault didn't go down well with me... And I'm curious about who her dad is??? 

Will Min Sol A be the real daughter of Lee Ji Ah?(.In reference to comment by Uhm Ki Joon saying that the girl in the hospital time is up.).. 

She came the building with an ulterior motive. If not why would she record the video at her first chance...??? 

Finally..

In conclusion the drama is too noisy with the screaming and screeching and the Hera Palace people are all so evil.. 

And the poor are so helpless.. Very frustrating!!.. 

Will try to finish it to watch the downfall of all these evil people.. Can't wait!!!! 

• Like 3

On 10/30/2020 at 11:03 AM, chickfactor said:

Anyway, to compare the two shows (Return and Penthouse) - there is a certain... emotional disconnect. It's not possible to regard any of these people as actual human beings.

To quote myself - I want to correct myself to say that I think it's a bit harsh to say they aren't even human beings. It's just that I find most of the characters hard to identify with, that is all. So it becomes just a spectacle of watching how relentlessly awful they can be.

Also, I think I will continue to watch the show, so obviously I don't hate it that much... so far. But it's basically junk food for your brain.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:08 PM, larus said:

The lawyer`s wife (Yoon Joo Hee) was in Return also.

Yes, you're right, I missed that. :D

On 10/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, PoisonIvy said:

Will try to finish it to watch the downfall of all these evil people.. Can't wait!!!! 

Yes, that is the fun of watching the evil ones getting their comeuppance, and that's what's going to keep me tuning in, too. Most likely, they'll all end up turning on each other and burning each other to the ground, "Lord of the Flies" style.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2

6 minutes ago, shaldane168 said:

Gave up watching after episode one. Hated all that melodramatics and screaming matches.  Cringed when I watched it.

Yeah , just give up if it is not ur cup of tea! Don’t ruin ur mood with Penthouse !

• Like 1

Honestly, the melodramatics of both Rona and her mother are too much. They bring their troubles on themselves.

Rona, give up classical and go audition at a kpop agency. At least you will learn some self control at their trainee lessons.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

I've just finished watching the episode 3. I guess the producers just want high ratings and nothing else. This is your typical, formulaic k drama that should have aired in 1999, except this one has more glitters with big budget. I feel sorry for the lead actresses. I will admittedly keep watching tho :gangnamstyle:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Honestly, the melodramatics of both Rona and her mother are too much. They bring their troubles on themselves.

Rona, give up classical and go audition at a kpop agency. At least you will learn some self control at their trainee lessons.

If I were rona, I would rather audition to be idol trainee lol. I am sure SM/YG/JYP has a place for her hahaha

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Worst part is I don't sympathize to the slightest with Ro-Na....what did she expect, a girl with little connection will huff and puff through an audition and world will cater to her whims? Every single time, she throws tantrum, I want somebody to beat her. Honey, look around you and read the room. I would rather they kept Seol Ah alive....because I don't give a RickRoll'D if Ro-na makes it as an opera singer. She is just as much of an annoying brat and rude idiot like the rich kids gang. I feel sorry for Eugene though, she really wanted to lead a quiet life but thanks to the stupid brat of a daughter she has, now she is knee deep in filth.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I'm enjoying this HAHA 

For some reason even with the overused cliches and overdone storylines, I'm paying attention

It reminds me of a mix of class of lies, SKY castle and graceful friends. The teens are really coming off as deranged as the adults. I feel for yoon hee though. This kind of vicious fighting reminds me of Lorde's white teeth teens. "The way they are, the way they seem is something else, it's in the blood"- she's in for one hell of a fight because her daughter wants to reach high . And don't get me wrong, I think it's good that Rona is ambitious but this is alot more that what she's going to be able to deal with lol

• Like 2

Just finished episodes 3 and 4. This drama is like LOL but somehow I got hooked. Guess it explains when the same writer wrote temptation of wife... 

Feels like sky castle on the outside with all the drama in temptation of wife (remember the ridiculous thing of the female lead literally just adding a mole to become someone else...)

Spoiler

Anyone noticed some inconsistencies in the ballroom gowns in ep 4? They were wearing the Georgian(?) style ballroom gowns when Min Seol-a fell and also cleaned up the place in the same gown. Afterwards they changed into the modern-styled gowns at the main ceremony in front of the fountain. Now we are shown Cheon Seo-jin wearing her red gown when Min Seol-A bit her? A bit odd or maybe I missed out something!

Honestly thought this was becoming a black comedy with how the Hera Palace gang moved the body and cleaned the place up... it’s like ridiculous yet it suits how dramatic this drama is haha.

• Like 2

Waiting for the heads to roll... 

Wish they keep the sensationalization and the melodramatics a bit mellow.. 

Even Eugene's character is somewhat similar to the evil mothers of Hera Palace.. 

I'm trying  to watch with a sane neutral mind.. 

Definitely waiting for an ending like Return... 

• Like 2

Great to see friends in this drama forum.

Ok yup I agree it is as @chickfactor says Junk Food for the brain. 110% agree.

Never saw Return but loved Last Empress (that was full of makjang) but seems tamer so far compared to Penthouse. I feel this should be titled Hera's Palace. LOL I think not everyone lives in the penthouse.

As everyone else mentioned, I don't get that the classical singing/vocal (ideal) desire is there. I love Uhm Ki Joon to see him as the slimy Joo Dan Tae. OMG ep 3 to find out he killed his current wife's hubby to get her back?! Then he got a fake girl to be his wife's bio daughter?! I think the henchman working for him is telling his wife. So him having affairs is not crazy and surprising. But uggh keeping the cut up finger is gross as a prize?!

He was dispicable when talking to the tutor and then stepping on her and not treating her with respect and being just a pompous axx uggh. His son who I too thought might be redeemable was the worse when they were bullying the tutor after finding out she won as top finalist to enter the musical school.

Yoo Je Ni lying and her mom knowing she was framing Ro Na for "hurting her neck" with the red paint. Dang really?!

I love Eugene and her character Yoon hee initially wanting to push the tutor to get Ro Na off the wait list was horrible and GLAD she did not end up doing it.

Interesting Eugene's characters fierce enemy Seo Jin's hubby Yoon Cheol paid off her "pay off fee" to the lawyer neighbor to not tell his wife (that is a big sum 100K) but his dealings with Dan Tae allows him to do that. He must have really liked her. 

Yeah I too wonder who is Ro na's dad? Did Yoon Hee even date Seo Jin's hubby?? That would be funny and if Seo Jin knew of it she would not have TOLERATED marrying a man who liked Yoon Hee. Unless she COVETED the man and wanted him for herself and not have her mortal enemy have him. 

Seems like not much love lost right now with Seo Jin and her hubby. She easily lied her DAD gave her such a pricy piece of jewelry?! (For no reason? Uh doesn't compute.)  I think Yoon Cheol smells a rat.

Lawyer Gyu Jin is so annoying always saying I will tell my mom. Such a wuss and mommy's boy. Nothing wrong being mommy's boy but he is very irritating. Plus his incessant teasing and making up stuff when talking to Yoon Cheol about having an affair with Yoon Hee etc was horrible as we know he doesn't have any relations with her at the moment.

I am sad that the tutor does die. I like her character.

I too cannot get on the Ro Na bandwagon she is bratty and REALLY I agree with comment-read the room. @Nymeria289 @tulip06

Looking forward to this messy ride as I am not taking it seriously as @yellowreign @sasha1818 @Nyein Chan @Poison Ivy I am hooked. I admit I am watching it while doing something else.

I love the actresses and actors in this drama though.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

I'm going to continue to watch even though is makjang. The drama back drop about the wealthy hera is makjang and it make sense coz the rich are always over the top. So now that they are suspect we get to see how they are using their evilness, money and power to get rid of any suspicion on themselves. Sometimes they are naive too and think very shallow. But is because they are human after all and money spoilt them to think so shallow. This drams bring us to the duper rich and exploring their world. Maybe they are such people out there who knows..for example the chaebol of airplane regarding of serving the nut in some sort of container. When we stand as an outsider we find her ridiculous but in her world she think she is right and acted such. It would be interesting to see what the drama unfold :D

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

I really thought this would follow the same vein as “Sky Castle,” but it doesn’t come close.  “Sky Castle” was somewhat believable to me.  This show is absurdly ridiculous.  The actors are great, but I just can’t buy into the storyline.  I don’t know if I can stand watching it.  Just my opinion

• Like 2