Remember The Asian Abercrombie + Victoria's Secret Model?

Guest CaliforniaSun

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

um what should i be happy about? that she's asian? are you purely going for ethnicity? how come you're not wrong in that? shouldn't it be quality? you must be used to seein "exotic" asians on tv all the time, so to you its nothing but i sure as hell would like to see more ethereal or classic looks that zooms away from that. the effects of their image plastering can be felt today and actually in turn limits opportunity changes in the future for aspiring models bc they'll have to fit into a mode set up by others.

Are u kidding me??

Hell no, I remember people were only breaking faces over just because she was asian and I called them on it.

But people are getting upset her just because of how she looks, is she supposed to sit around and just wait for others to come next?

No, no one is making an effort but her, so u can't get angry at her for that.

and I don't think her body is all of that either, she is just another skinny model.

Just like Gisele Ale and teh other VS models.

Guest Born: 1985

i'm a photographer myself and agree with the positioning of the subject plays a role in how they come off looking. you don;t have to be the most beautiful person or even natural for that matter to get good portraits. what you are not getting is sometimes its not about making someone pretty, its about molding them into what you want to evoke from ppl. this girl's image is a loud statement about how an asian model should look to them. they don't purposely make her look good as in individual, they decorate her a certain way.

i am merely offering my perspective of why this girl is appearing in many many ads in place of different ppl if they were truly interested in seeing variety.

The thing is...you may be a photographer but you've never worked with her. You never know, maybe she's a spitting fire...maybe she's outgoing and very professional. Easy to work with, gets the job done, and has fun doing it.

I don't think she's "in" because she's Asian. I think she's getting popular because maybe, just maybe she fits well into the model criteria. Photographers/ model agencies, whatever, see something special in her and think she's a good pick for their ads, music videos, etc.

I highly highly doubt she's getting popular because she's exotic or has the right looks, I agree there a lot of girls out there I'd pick before her if comparing LOOKS, but like you said, it's not about the looks....modeling is way more than just that.

they will overuse her simply bc she was pinned up to be the asian that gets booked for anything that aims at making ppl think they are using other ethnicities, when really, they are stereotyping.

i totally agree. i HATE it when there are ads or professional pictures of a bunch of people and they stick ONE Asian person or ONE hispanic person just to make it look like there's a variety. rather just not use them at all.

anyway, about the girl--i think she's prettier than how the majority's acting towards her with their "she aint all that" talk.....but i also think she isn't as pretty as how much attention/offers she's getting. but i dunno, i guess there's a reason for all of it, that was just my personal opinion. she just looks skinny to me.

in the Jay-Z video she looks a little thicker, but or VS model in the VS ad...besides the boobs, she looks like she should be in the kids section if they had one.

overall, she has a cute face and alright body (judging from those VS ads) i give her a chance (:

PS. wasn't she like someone's friend from soompi?

Well how many asian models do we see???

Not many, just leave her alone.

*not u susie:)*

But really some people complain about everything

"She isnt pretty enough"

Hell If u think she's so ugly, why dont u become a freakin model and do better instead of whining and complaining

she looks very much like Park hye something... the other korean supermodel... i forgot her name. when american companies look for asian girls, its always this certain look... very different from the general idea of beauty in Asia... (ex. Song Hye Go. ).

i understand the ideas of beauty are very different. i personally like the ideal in Asia. I'm not bashing this girl, but yes, i've seen more beautiful Asian girls.

i don't like how people say her skin is "exotic". its actually very unflattering using this term because of the connotations that come with it.

they will overuse her simply bc she was pinned up to be the asian that gets booked for anything that aims at making ppl think they are using other ethnicities, when really, they are stereotyping. all the opportunities go to her bc they don't want to give chances to ppl who actually beyond their range of looks for asians. she got thru teh door simply bc they want to token her for her race, not bc she was model material.

should we simply accept her just because there has been very few asians? that's like tellin us we should settle for less simply bc we are nothing? she is obviously judged moreso on how she embodies what they want to see.

i initially liked her but now find it offensive that they are passin her everywhere. she clearly has the exgerrated "exoticness" going on with the make up n all, chest pushups. and the video tells her role in their eyes clearly. i'm actually put off by her.

i somewhat agree. she's going to become a token stereotyped asian model for all the magazines and ads.

although my angel on one shoulder says to support her, my devil on the other shoulder is saying they are stereotyping her and i shouldn't just "settle for less" in your words.. :sweatingbullets::wacko:

its really weird how she is pictured in this diversity picture with a blonde guy... isn't that exactly what happens with minorities and specifically the women of minorities? i don't know exactly how to explain it. but this picture definitely stereotypes her as the exotic "dragon lady" asian woman.

http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/9618/asiansephora2vv5.jpg

Guest nahnsaemi

She is not "too skinny" She's got a great figure.

& She's even more gorgeous in person :P

Though I've only seen her like twice.

& my friend's like best friends with her and he tells me that she's got a kick@ss personality, really!

DONT HATE :P

Guest CaliforniaSun

they will overuse her simply bc she was pinned up to be the asian that gets booked for anything that aims at making ppl think they are using other ethnicities, when really, they are stereotyping. all the opportunities go to her bc they don't want to give chances to ppl who actually beyond their range of looks for asians. she got thru teh door simply bc they want to token her for her race, not bc she was model material.

should we simply accept her just because there has been very few asians? that's like tellin us we should settle for less simply bc we are nothing? she is obviously judged moreso on how she embodies what they want to see.

i initially liked her but now find it offensive that they are passin her everywhere. she clearly has the exgerrated "exoticness" going on with the make up n all, chest pushups. and the video tells her role in their eyes clearly. i'm actually put off by her.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AMEN

Guest Childlike Faith

WTH.

You think they picked Adriana Lima because she's Brasilian?

OR maybe it's because she's exotic-looking? <_<

So you're saying Adriana is in the same boat as Jarah (that's her name, btw) ...

So because they're "passing her around" you don't like her anymore? Okay.

She's getting "passed around" because she's a model, would you rather her not model at all? So when will it be okay for an Asian to model?

Guest GibmeAFeedinTube

WTH.

You think they picked Adriana Lima because she's Brasilian?

OR maybe it's because she's exotic-looking? <_<

So you're saying Adriana is in the same boat as Jarah (that's her name, btw) ...

So because they're "passing her around" you don't like her anymore? Okay.

She's getting "passed around" because she's a model, would you rather her not model at all? So when will it be okay for an Asian to model?

if jarah was given as much flexibility in her images as Adriana, i don't think anyone would be calling her ads and video as her coming off the exotic asian chick. the ppl that are dressing her exterior from wardrobe to makeup, its obvious what they're doing. i am commenting those photos on a commercial and social level. if i came off nasty, i apologize for offending her fans. it was never my intention to put this girl down, she seems down to earth from ppl who know her. but this isn't wat its about.

"when will it be okay for "asians" to model?" well i think all models, asian or not, wouldn't want to be a tool to propel one image. if you're going to be used continuously, it should be to gather diff reactions for diff purposes. but for jarah, i'm not seeing that. it is evident that she is sporting one particular look thru out her line of work. yeah the exotic asian one. there i said it again, oops. this leads me to conclude she is picked to play an ethnic character.

i like her.

she's really unique looking :]

but i think it's the personality that really counts..even though most people just see her as what they see in the pictures.

Archived