Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I believe Jae Woong and our Doc May be  siblings. After all how many dramas have we seen where the siblings have the same Beginning to their names? She would have had a Korean name of course That would Have got changed on adoption. Perhaps Jae mi And Jae Woong. Plus she felt comfortable with his touch. That is telling. And if the leads turn out to be siblings all the tension and sexual harassment jokes would be really creepy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welp!  I knew i should have dropped when the drama was still lacklustre at episode 5.  I let episode 6 and it's promise of plot progression fool me..but episode 7 is just more of the same nonsense and

@Oksana Sutra @sal2 @x_x___chi @RobinM Agree so much with your posts. Casting Seolhyun was a huge mistake.   SH brings absolutely nothing to the drama except negative coverage, controversy and trolls.

2 hours ago, RobinM said:

I believe Jae Woong and our Doc May be  siblings. After all how many dramas have we seen where the siblings have the same Beginning to their names? She would have had a Korean name of course That would Have got changed on adoption. Perhaps Jae mi And Jae Woong. Plus she felt comfortable with his touch. That is telling. And if the leads turn out to be siblings all the tension and sexual harassment jokes would be really creepy.

I wonder if the concept of siblings even existed in White Night Village? I hope the drama explains more about the children.  Are they just taken from orphanages?  Are they always referred to by number?  I assume they must have names because they had names on the survivor list.  Is a chicken or the egg situation regarding their intelligence?  Are they selected because they are above average intelligence already or are they average children and experimented on to make them hyper intelligent?

 

It does seem like Jamie (maybe Jae Mi originally?) and Jae Woong have some kind of twinning connection as the drama has purposely shown them mirroring each others actions.  I wonder if maybe it had something to do with their abilities. Could their powers be similar?  I agree that the tension and the way Jung Woo teased Jamie about sexaul harassment and dating would be very weird. The delicious tension can partly be attributed to the actor's excellent chemistry too but it would be very weird for him to make those kind of jokes and comments if the characters are supposed to be siblings.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7729311a56064f8ba717e5fa6e16ed3f.jpeg?s=

 

3 Intriguing Figures Who Seem To Hold The Key To The Central Mystery In “Awaken”

 

Dec 21, 2020

by E. Cha

 

What really happened at the White Night Village 28 years ago?

 

That’s the key question that needs answering on tvN’s exciting mystery drama “Awaken”—and with each new episode, the drama seems to be racing closer and closer towards the horrific truth.

 

Spoilers

As the veil of secrecy surrounding the White Night Village slowly begins to lift, here are three mysterious characters to keep an eye on in future episodes:

 

1. Moon Jae Woong

 

Spoiler

Yoon-Sun-Woo.jpg

 

From his very first appearance in the drama, Moon Jae Woong (played by Yoon Sun Woo) intrigued viewers with his dark and mysterious aura. The wary, visibly anxious character lives in isolation from the rest of society and suffers abuse at the hands of Jang Yong Sik, the CEO of portal site MODU (played by Jang Hyuk Jin).

 

Viewers have begun to speculate that Moon Jae Woong may be one of the children from the White Night Village who were forced to undergo inhumane experiments. The character seems to have some of the defining traits shared by the children from the village: he has previously displayed superhuman strength without realizing it, and he also revealed his extraordinary brainpower when he figured out what hospital Jamie (Lee Chung Ah) had been taken to using only her body measurements and the time and location she was found.

 

It remains to be seen whether Moon Jae Woong is truly from the White Night Village—and what role he will play in the story to come.

 

2. Gong Il Do

 

Spoiler

Kim-Chang-Wan.jpg

 

Gong Il Do (played by Kim Chang Wan), the father of Gong Hye Won (AOA‘s Seolhyun), has emerged one of the most suspicious characters in the story. In the latest episode of the drama, it came to light that he was no ordinary researcher, but actually the mastermind running a secret research lab together with the White Night Foundation. It was also revealed that he is still carrying out the human experiments that were performed at the White Night Village in the past.

 

After showing his true colors, Gong Il Do piqued viewers’ curiosity by mysteriously declaring, “In order to achieve what the foundation has wanted for a long time, we need to capture Do Jung Woo [Namgoong Min] no matter what.”

 

3. Oh Jung Hwan

 

Spoiler

Kim-Tae-Woo.jpg

 

Previously on “Awaken,” it became clear that Son Min Ho, the director of the White Night Village (played by Choi Jin Ho), was merely a pawn in a much larger scheme. It also turned out that Oh Jung Hwan (played by Kim Tae Woo) is one of the true key figures behind the powerful White Night Foundation.

 

As the President’s Chief of Staff, the highly influential Oh Jung Hwan is able to control the police, the prosecutor’s office, and the media at once. Son Min Ho also previously revealed that Oh Jung Hwan is the only person who knows the identity of the White Night Foundation’s owner.

 

The producers of “Awaken” teased, “The twists that have unfolded up until now are merely the beginning. As the story progresses, the ugly truth of the White Night Village and White Night Foundation, as well as the entangled relationships between the characters, will begin to unfold. The plot will become even more shocking as the drama picks up the pace. Please look forward to it.”

 

The next episode of “Awaken” will air on December 21 at 9 p.m. KST. 

 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1444501wpp/3-intriguing-figures-who-seem-to-hold-the-key-to-the-central-mystery-in-awaken

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@RobinM @raziela I too don’t think JW and Jamie are siblings. Especially JW still remembers their past. He would not act and talk the way he does with her if she is his sister. So far he’s been like “finally I found my long lost friend; we used to be close, but she doesn’t remember a bit, treats me like a stranger, calls me a monster (unknowingly to her of course), suspects me; it hurts but I can’t help but care for her, but then i must not let her know that i care for her”. I mean he took such huge trouble to get her undergo the surgery, when all he could do instead was to tell her the brain condition of other survivors and advised her to go check up. Clearly he cares more than a normal friend.

 

That being said, I also agree with @rocher22 that in future episodes I hope Jamie will un-say that “monster thing” to JW and acknowledge all that he’s done for her. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the article @gm4queen 

TVN have released a number of videos and articles over the last few days to summarise the previous episodes as they try to attract viewers back after the plot developments of episode 6. 

 

On 12/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, RobinM said:

Let’s look at it From her POV: JW has only been frustratingly cryptic, stressful and borderline threatening to her when she asks for answers.  He is not her friend. Hye Won has the loyalty of a team member And the power of her crush/fixation so of course she will believe he is innocent. 

This!

 

2 hours ago, Xiexie said:

@RobinM @raziela I too don’t think JW and Jamie are siblings. Especially JW still remembers their past. He would not act and talk the way he does with her if she is his sister. So far he’s been like “finally I found my long lost friend; we used to be close, but she doesn’t remember a bit, treats me like a stranger, calls me a monster (unknowingly to her of course), suspects me; it hurts but I can’t help but care for her, but then i must not let her know that i care for her”. I mean he took such huge trouble to get her undergo the surgery, when all he could do instead was to tell her the brain condition of other survivors and advised her to go check up. Clearly he cares more than a normal friend.

 

That being said, I also agree with @rocher22 that in future episodes I hope Jamie will un-say that “monster thing” to JW and acknowledge all that he’s done for her. 

Exactly.  It's so funny how you describe DJW's emotions because I feel sorry for him as he obviously does care about Jamie and I understand he has own reasons for concealing things from her but at the same time it's, like, if you would just communicate with Jamie she wouldn't be so suspicious of you! 

 

With the kidnapping he could have just told her the conditions of the other survivors, Jamie being a rational person would have got a check-up, confirmed his words.  As @akiera said in an earlier post Jamie could have easily arranged the treatment and she, likely, would have been very grateful.  Instead DJW forces her to go through a traumatic and triggering kidnapping, has a serious medical procedure performed on her without her consent, left it for Jamie to even work out he was the one who arranged it all and then refuses to even discuss anything with her!  We sympathise because it is NGM playing Jung Woo but in reality even though his intentions are good, this is a cruel way to behave towards someone.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

57d8c8b2d2f946489aa1e9823cdf208f.jpeg?s=

 

AOA’s Seolhyun And Lee Chung Ah Have Different Reactions To Namgoong Min’s Sudden Appearance In “Awaken”

 

Dec 21, 2020

by L. Kim

 

tvN’s Monday-Tuesday drama “Awaken” has shared a glimpse of the upcoming episode!

 

The murder mystery drama follows the connection between mysterious events unfolding in the present and the secrets behind an enigmatic incident that took place in a village 28 years ago.

 

Spoilers

 

Previously, Do Jung Woo (Namgoong Min) was arrested as the culprit behind the mass serial killings. In the process, it was revealed that both Do Jung Woo and Jamie (Lee Chung Ah) were victims of a barbaric human experiment in the White Night Village 28 years ago. Furthermore, Do Jung Woo collapsed while being send to the prosecution’s office, and his arrest was eventually suspended. Viewers were taken aback by the shocking fact that Do Jung Woo is actually terminally ill.

 

On December 21, “Awaken” released stills of Do Jung Woo’s escape. He’s supposed to be at the hospital, but he appeared at the National Police Agency. Moreover, he’s holding a book with bloody hands, raising questions about why he infiltrated this place despite the risk.

 

Meanwhile, Gong Hye Won (AOA’s Seolhyun) and Jamie showcase different reactions to seeing Do Jung Woo. Jamie remains cold and calm as she points her gun at him. Gong Hye Won’s expression is shadowed with nervousness and shock. Will Do Jung Woo be able to achieve his purpose before he runs out of time?

 

awaken2.jpg

 

The next episode of “Awaken” will air on December 21 at 9 p.m. KST. 

 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1444590wpp/aoas-seolhyun-and-lee-chung-ah-have-different-reactions-to-namgoong-mins-sudden-appearance-in-awaken

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@RobinM I mean he is technically an escaped criminal.... Anyway, I'm forever Team Jamie:wub:

 

- Lee Chung Ah posted on her IG they are heading into episode 16 filming  so they should be finished shooting within the next few weeks.

 

- The child actor playing young Jung Woo posted a picture with Kim Won Hae. They are both in costume but I'm not sure if they actually filmed together. I wonder if the chief knew JW as a child as he seems to have a paternal soft spot for him? 

 

- DJW broke back into the police station...for a book? There is nowhere else he could get it or get someone to find it for him like the PI? :sweat:

 

@rocher22Same about Jae Woong. I'm happy his character finally integrated into the story beyond eating ramen lol! Hope he has more and more scenes. He is an intriguing character - and adorable! -but I do think he is the most likely to have DPD and is on my potential list for the culprit. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

So watched ep 7 without subs.

It was interesting . Everyone knows DW is dying. Jaime has started to doubt why he was trying to harm son Minho in front of everyone. She has become more curious. Hye won is also getting curious. Today's episode was just hide and seek between JW, Police and the foundation guys.

One twist was that the foundation has people everywhere, even the computer guy who hye won used to take her anger was the foundation's mole and he tried to stab JW.

It was sad to watch the one of the foundation's victim who was a woman die infront of JW.

JW did really search for all the survivors. He wanted to save all of them, but was too late.

In the preview, Jaime seems to be saying the 3rd child is the serial killer .

The 3rd child is jae woong, so it seems they are implying he is the killer, seems like he is the one with uncured DID.

The writer seems to make him a killer unless the writer is trying to pull some kind of twist in the future.

At this point, I really think JW won't survive,but the foundation needs him so they are bound to help him get surgery or something. Maybe he will survive but the chances are very slim.

JW broke into the police headquarters to get a book , I think the one that son Minho wrote, I don't know why he would risk his life for that mere book. Or it could be a different book . Sorry I can't read korean.

He personally chose Hye won after knowing who her father was. 

After today's episode it seems the writer is also very interesting in showing a love line between JW and hye won. I honestly don't know why.

It's not needed at this point. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dev11O said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So watched ep 7 without subs.

It was interesting . Everyone knows DW is dying. Jaime has started to doubt why he was trying to harm son Minho in front of everyone. She has become more curious. Hye won is also getting curious. Today's episode was just hide and seek between JW, Police and the foundation guys.

One twist was that the foundation has people everywhere, even the computer guy who hye won used to take her anger was the foundation's mole and he tried to stab JW.

It was sad to watch the one of the foundation's victim who was a woman die infront of JW.

JW did really search for all the survivors. He wanted to save all of them, but was too late.

In the preview, Jaime seems to be saying the 3rd child is the serial killer .

The 3rd child is jae woong, so it seems they are implying he is the killer, seems like he is the one with uncured DID.

The writer seems to make him a killer unless the writer is trying to pull some kind of twist in the future.

At this point, I really think JW won't survive,but the foundation needs him so they are bound to help him get surgery or something. Maybe he will survive but the chances are very slim.

JW broke into the police headquarters to get a book , I think the one that son Minho wrote, I don't know why he would risk his life for that mere book. Or it could be a different book . Sorry I can't read korean.

He personally chose Hye won after knowing who her father was. 

After today's episode it seems the writer is also very interesting in showing a love line between JW and hye won. I honestly don't know why.

It's not needed at this point. 

 

 

 

Thanks for the recap. It is the first drama I have eagerly been following but resorted to skipping unnecessary scenes between Jung Woo and Hye Won. Sorry to say, that character is really not fitting the box. It is more of an annoyance. I am fine with Jung Woo and Jamie not having a love line, just the exchange of smart lines is enough to hook me up. They can stare at each other for mere seconds and it already creates a tension in a good way. :D

 

Btw, do you know what Moon Jae Woong was saying while checking Jamie’s facebook? Seems like he was very interested in her already that he attempted to sneak out with his computer but his bad hyung didn’t allow him. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, x_x___chi said:

Btw, do you know what Moon Jae Woong was saying while checking Jamie’s facebook? Seems like he was very interested in her already that he attempted to sneak out with his computer but his bad hyung didn’t allow him. 

I don't understand what they said but it seems jae woong was trying to send her files ( Maybe some information related to her kidnapping, Maybe hospital list or something). He was trying to contact her using FB but he didn't contact her. Instead he wanted to go and meet her , but his bad hyung didn't allow him.

One thing I noticed was that the guy who is abusing him seems to be Also afraid of him. He keeps tabs on jae woong. It's more like a precaution . This is what I felt.

He knows what jae woong is capable of.

If the writer is going to make jae woong a killer, jae woong must go outside to plant lucid dreams and all that means there are certain times jae woong is completely off radar.

Maybe he uses some kind of his power on this guy so he could escape.

If jae woong is the killer , he has DID.

One personality is weak, while other is very dangerous. Maybe ep 8 will reveal more of this .

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So watched the ep with subs, and JW taking the book was just misdirection. The book didn't mean anything. He came to get the glasses, that he uses. Why? I don't know.

What's so special about that spectacles. Maybe they will explain it later.

After watching the subbed episode, the writer has just confirmed that JW and hye won have mutual feelings.

Hye won is the unpredictable variable in his plan.

He can't seem to find where to include her in his plan. Maybe because she acts more on her feelings. He certainly cares for her.

My poor Jaime and JW ship.

Now at the end if the writer says both of them are siblings, then everything is over. That's it..

Jaime and JW made a deal, that he will explain everything the next time they meet, about the tragedy and her past .

JW seems to be the most advanced result of the experiment.

He is special, seems like he has more powers.

Every episode hye won's dad creeps me out. That stupid whistling he does... creepy.

Who is the killer, that's not said .

Although the new candidate is jae woong.

Maybe this is also a misdirection.

JW was really hurt in this episode, atleast two times he was stabbed.

When Jaime asked why he can't cure himself, he replied that Maybe he is not meant to be alive or there is something he can't lose yet.

This bothers me. What can't he lose yet. The translation may not be fully correct. I have to wait for Viki subs. 

And God knows how long that is going to take.

I honestly have doubts regarding which side the deputy chief lady is?

Is she good or just pure evil, who is just hungry for money.

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish writer will take few minutes from Hyewon's screen time, which she uses to portray Hyewon's not so relevant feelings, and give it to Moon Jaewoong. It is a disservice how they roped in this actor for ramen making scenes. 

I hope it is only to keep the mystery that they are keeping him under wrap. 

In any case I believe those scenes can be cut down. 

 

Next ep, Jamie in a doctor's coat injecting something to Son Minho? Oha! 

 

8 minutes ago, Dev11O said:

When Jaime asked why he can't cure himself, he replied that Maybe he is not meant to be alive or there is something he can't lose yet.

This bothered me too. Made me think if having this surgery will make the children lose some of their power or memories. I actually wanted Jamie to be the killer behind all this. But alas if the surgery will make them lose that x factor. jamie is already benched. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The ep 8 preview translation from TVN -

The dangerous shadow hidden behind the forewarned murders finally reveals itself.

Hye won and Jaime go deeper into the truth by pursuing clues related to WNV 28 yrs ago.

Meanwhile, JW finds the experiments are still continuing and goes to the foundation, the axis of evil.

 

 

56 minutes ago, akiera said:

I wish writer will take few minutes from Hyewon's screen time, which she uses to portray Hyewon's not so relevant feelings, and give it to Moon Jaewoong. It is a disservice how they roped in this actor for ramen making scenes. 

I hope it is only to keep the mystery that they are keeping him under wrap. 

In any case I believe those scenes can be cut down. 

 

Next ep, Jamie in a doctor's coat injecting something to Son Minho? Oha! 

 

Jaime in doctor coat, I feel like she is going to use the same method which JW used to get information from son Minho. To torture him to spill out secrets.

But this is a stupid move, if her identity is revealed, she will be in danger.

The surviving child who was mentioned in the list of survivors became a thug.

The thug came for JW, possibly to kidnap him.

Is the thug guy really bad or is he secretly hoping to get a chance to take revenge on WNV bad guys?

We will have to wait and see, whether he will join forces with JW or be a hurdle in JW's plans.

 

56 minutes ago, akiera said:

This bothered me too. Made me think if having this surgery will make the children lose some of their power or memories. I actually wanted Jamie to be the killer behind all this. But alas if the surgery will make them lose that x factor. jamie is already benched. 

 

I also thought about this theory.

Him not doing surgery because he knows he will lose his powers.

I mean his biggest card is his powers and his memories as he is the one who can complete the secret formula the foundation guys want.

This secret is what is helping him, and is the reason why the foundation wants to catch him alive.

If this theory is correct, Jaime, like you said is already benched.

Then she will only have a high IQ , no light flickering stuff . 

I personally wanted to see her do that electricity stuff. Nevermind..

If like the preview translation says, the real killer will be revealed in ep 8, then jae woong is the potential killer.

Then it means, like they mentioned earlier he suffers from DID.

If it's not Jae woong, I don't know what the writer wants.

Bring an evil twin for jae woong :D

  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Five stages of shipping grief:

 

Denial: Nah, the Writers would not be so dumb and out of touch with what most of the public wants for the love line. The Tension! The Jokes! It’s gonna be Jaime and JE. It’s all good!

 

Anger: Really?? RickRoll'D!!! This ruins the WHOLE SHOW!! 
 

Bargaining: Ok. If you show enough cute UST moments between Doc and Super copI I will keep watching how is that? 
 

Depression: Well. There goes another drama disappointment. Should have been expecting that. Sigh.

 

Acceptance: We’ll. It’s a great show and he is Super hot and HW is cute. It is what it is. JW needs love where he can get it. 


I would be at 5 but he is probably going to die sooo...yeah. Stuck at number 4. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobinM said:

Five stages of shipping grief:

 

Denial: Nah, the Writers would not be so dumb and out of touch with what most of the public wants for the love line. The Tension! The Jokes! It’s gonna be Jaime and JE. It’s all good!

 

Anger: Really?? RickRoll'D!!! This ruins the WHOLE SHOW!! 
 

Bargaining: Ok. If you show enough cute UST moments between Doc and Super copI I will keep watching how is that? 
 

Depression: Well. There goes another drama disappointment. Should have been expecting that. Sigh.

 

Acceptance: We’ll. It’s a great show and he is Super hot and HW is cute. It is what it is. JW needs love where he can get it. 


I would be at 5 but he is probably going to die sooo...yeah. Stuck at number 4. 

 

 

 

 

I am still in Denial but yeah, like you already said he is going to die soon.

It's like I would rather watch him die than being with hye won .

There is something wrong with me. Seriously:crymeme:

 

  • LOL 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp!  I knew i should have dropped when the drama was still lacklustre at episode 5.  I let episode 6 and it's promise of plot progression fool me..but episode 7 is just more of the same nonsense and now I look like a clown. I had such high hopes for this drama when it started. I even defended because I thought it was just finding it's pace the first week but four weeks in and it is still like this. What a letdown! :rolleyes:

 

It's a pity because there is certainly a very interesting story about White Night Village and JW-Jamie-MJW story hidden somewhere in here but it is surrounded by so many unnecessary or useless scenes and underutilisation of the many talented actors. The execution is severely lacking. The story feels needlessly complex and bloated but barely moves at the same time.

There has been barely 2 episodes worth of plot movement in 4 weeks, the clunky directing and writing, stupid police, zero tension, weak serial killer plot, everything about Hye Won, weird tonal shifts, lack of focus and going around in circles.  It feels as if the drama is dragging things needlessly, spinning wheels and making things vague so the drama can come back later and say: look how clever we are! but it is just tiresome and frustrating. Added with forcing a totally unappealing "loveline" subplot that makes me want to throw up in my mouth... 

 

Nope. I'm out! It may get better in the remaining weeks but there are too many good dramas out there to waste anymore time on this mediocrity.

  giphy.gif

 

I'm sorry to Nam Goong Min and Lee Chung Ah but even for them I don't have the patience for this. I look forward to their next projects

giphy.gif

 

ETA: The best thing i can say is I have enjoyed talking to all the nice posters on this thread. Hope to see you in another (better!) drama thread:heart:

  • Like 2
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is This Noir/crime/serial killer show is trying so fervently to be Twisty or cutting edge or cerebral or Gritty that the writers, directors ETC completely forgot  about tight writing, plotting  and Good characterization.  It’s all Too slick and pretentious.
 

Watch Flower of Evil to see the difference. 
 


 

 

  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..