[Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤

taskdramafanatic

Lee Chung Ah Grows Increasingly Suspicious Of Namgoong Min In “Awaken”

7bf9fe10254b404db26f7fd4c9e07cd2.jpeg?s=

Dec 7, 2020
by S. P

tvN’s “Awaken” has released new stills!

“Awaken” is a murder mystery drama that follows the connections between mysterious events unfolding in the present and the secrets behind an enigmatic incident that took place in a village 28 years ago.

Namgoong Min stars in the drama as Do Jung Woo, the eccentric but brilliant team leader of a special task force at the National Police Agency, while AOA’s Seolhyun plays passionate police officer Gong Hye Won. Lee Chung Ah takes the role of FBI agent Jamie, who was adopted as a young child and returns to Korea to solve the serial killer case connected to her lost memories of her childhood from 28 years ago.

Spoilers

The previous episode shocked viewers as Do Jung Woo was pinpointed as a suspect in the serial murder case. Although the special task force was able to determine similarities between the four murder victims, such as their lack of instinct to escape death or the smiles on their faces right before they died, they have yet to discover the crucial clue that will lead them to the killer.

The new episode follows the task force as they work together to stop the fifth murder before it happens. Stills show the members of the task force gathered in the meeting room after receiving a fifth warning message from the murderer. Gong Hye Won appears tense as she gives a briefing on the case, and Jamie sits stiffly with her arms folded in suspicion. Meanwhile, Do Jung Woo leans back and lifts his eyebrow in a cryptic manner.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1442165wpp/lee-chung-ah-grows-increasingly-suspicious-of-namgoong-min-in-awaken

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something with their hands. Jung woo asks for a high five second time. Probably they have telepathy through touch. But even if she lost her memory, if she has some extraordinary power she should be aware of it. Her symptoms are just like a person with hidden trauma and she seems to have certain episodes about that night. But what is her real power??? 

I think the third guy we saw on the store is probably her brother and the youngest of them. They had similar mannerisms. So in that case there is a big chance that Jung woo is the one who caused the deaths. 

I just hope they have enough material to keep up the pace. The episodes doesn't seems packed but I hope it won't be like the audience figure out everything by the 5th ep and the characters figure out it by 15 the ep. That will be such a drag.  

After watching the 3rd episode ,I must say the drama is very fast paced.  

Now I think all the leads have some kind of power. Earlier I was not so sure of all 3 of them having supernatural powers . But now it seems the case.

I think Jaime already remembers her past , Maybe not fully but she already remembered half of it , like the white village and experiments done on her. Maybe a trauma while she was in US triggered her memories about the past. Maybe that brought her back to Korea . The side-effects of the experiments caused her OCD. The playful banter between the ML and her are interesting. Again pls don't be siblings.

The story is progressing fast and secrets are also unraveling fast, at this rate I don't how they are going to fill the episodes. I mean something must keep us hooked on the plot . 

I also think Jaime and the 3rd guy we saw are siblings. 

The ML lead has future predicting abilities it seems , and it maybe be very advanced After every episode I am also starting to doubt if he is the killer.

Thanks @Jillia and @larus

I am glad episode 3 didn't leave me with so many questions and things are starting to come together.  I agree with @akiera and @Dev11O that Jae Woong is Jamie's younger brother.  I think Jamie could be an anglicised version of her original korean name.  Maybe her original name was something like Jae Mi to go with Jae Woong?  I hope she and Jung Woo can rescue poor Jae Woong. He is being abused and looks like he has Stockholm Syndrome so he is too afraid to run away:bawling: I'm glad he has made a connection with Jamie.

Jamie is so cute! Last week I said Jamie seemed "normal" aside from her nightmares but now we see she has pretty severe OCD that is triggered by stress (Jung Woo was so mean with his clapping:sweatingbullets:).  Interestingly, neither Jung Woo or Jae Woong trigger her dislike of being touched.  I don't think Jamie remembers her past fully but she remembers some things like the "noon or midnight" phrase. I think she is also in Korea to investigate where she came from.  She had a very visceral reaction to Son Min Ho but not sure whether that's because she has read about his crimes or it's a buried instinct from her time in the White Night Village.

Jung Woo specially picked his "special" team. He picked Hye Won because of her father but I'm still waiting for an explanation why he picked cute but clueless Lieutenant Jang. I don't know if it is just Seolhyun's bad acting or the writing but Hye Won's character doesn't work at all. I just find her pointless, rude and annoying but I guess Hye Won's character arc is going to be about being disappointed by people she looked up to: her mentor who she crushes on has ulterior motives and recruited her to get revenge on her father; and her father who she idolizes worked on research using orphan children as test subjects. That scene where she went crazy on the computer guy because she was jealous of Jung Woo and Jamie was supposed to be humorous but it was just weird, unfunny and made her seem crazy:wacko: There are some humorous scenes in the drama that work well but that scene wasn't one of them.

I wasn't expecting Jung Woo to come clean about his past so quickly. Great because now he and Jamie can start to investigate and search for the third child together.  I wonder can Jae Woong predict things because he saw the convenience store girl with bruises on her face before she was killed.  Jung Woo was in the lab making his lollipops after getting his stash from the dealer guy so there are definitely narcotics in them. I wonder what exactly for?  Energy? Concentration?

I also think that female scientist who worked at White Night Village will be important.  There must be a reason there was so much focus on her in the flashbacks and we were told her name. I also think there is a fourth kid somewhere they don't know about.

I saw some Korean fans screenshot Jung Woo's personnel file and he has passed BOTH the bar examination and diplomatic service exam and he donates all his salary (minus living expenses) to an orphanage. So he is an accomplished genius but chooses to sacrifice and live like a pauper for some reason. 

I know Hye Won is supposed to be spunky and tough but she just seems possessive and Rude now. Girl is in for a rough ride And character growth Though with her father and her hero worship crush About to fall off their pedestals. 

I like how they made Jaime strong, professional and whip smart but still cute At times and just a bit dorky.  

Hello everyone!

I was planning to watch this smart drama but I held back as I suddenly fell ill & had to receive treatments. Just watched ep 3 & I guess I have to watch ep 1 & 2 as soon as possible.

So, this is one interesting drama that I didn't even feel bored as I watch it. Nam Goong Min is so handsome as always. At first, I just thought that he & Jamie both are suspicious but I am glad that I was wrong. If they both are from white night village then who is the 3rd child??! of course it was 28 yrs ago so no one knows how the other child looks like now. 

I really love the plot & the while cast. Looking so forward to catch up with you, guys!! And I'd be grateful if someone briefly explain the key points in ep 1 & 2 until I watch it. :) I am afraid I might miss a lot of things.

Just watched ep 4 raw, everything went just crazy. The plot is moving fast.. The level of craziness went from level 1 to 100 really fast. 

But I am also concerned how they are going to move the plot. They better don't drag the story to fill the episodes. 

Ah..after seeing seolhyun's character , it is pretty weird. I mean her character is obsessed and rude. I don't know whether the writer thinks audience will find her antics funny.

Well truth to be told it's really creepy. 

Maybe the writer is doing all these unnecessary things to drag her screen time and create a love line for the audience to ship.

Well this is annoying and She even asked whether the male lead has feelings for her in ep 4.

Maybe my Jaime and ML ship won't be sailing. The writer is not interested in creating anything between them . At the end of all this if it is going to be revealed they are infact siblings, then that's it . What a waste of good chemistry. 

52 minutes ago, RobinM said:

@Dev11O

What did they say that makes you think love-line in a No go? 

Why I feel the chance of a love line between Jaime and ML is very less is mainly because in every episode seolhyun's character just keeps on reminding us that she likes the ML more that anyone and the usual jealous attitude is also shown . The writer has not shown anything between ML and Jaime in a romantic way. In today's episode also ,Jaime seemed more interested in solving the case and finding more about her past. She is doubtful of the ML and their interaction seems more like they are playing mind games with each other. The chemistry we feel as audience in their interaction is because of the actors I guess. 

Maybe like everyone said there could be a chance they are siblings , although I personally don't want that to happen. 

Maybe as the story progresses the relationship between them could also change . It could develop into romance or something. But I find the chance of that happening really less. (But the kdrama addict inside me wants a romantic relationship between them, I just can't help it)

34 minutes ago, Dev11O said:

Why I feel the chance of a love line between Jaime and ML is very less is mainly because in every episode seolhyun's character just keeps on reminding us that she likes the ML more that anyone and the usual jealous attitude is also shown . The writer has not shown anything between ML and Jaime in a romantic way. In today's episode also ,Jaime seemed more interested in solving the case and finding more about her past. She is doubtful of the ML and their interaction seems more like they are playing mind games with each other. The chemistry we feel as audience in their interaction is because of the actors I guess. 

Maybe like everyone said there could be a chance they are siblings , although I personally don't want that to happen. 

Maybe as the story progresses the relationship between them could also change . It could develop into romance or something. But I find the chance of that happening really less. (But the kdrama addict inside me wants a romantic relationship between them, I just can't help it)

Lol. If this happens, everyone will bash this drama esp. Seol Hyun. Her recent controversy didn’t help the prospects of this project. So is her bland acting here. I am still Team Jamie! :P

21 minutes ago, RobinM said:

That makes sense. But it’s only the 4th episode and he doesn’t see Hye Won that way that I can tell.    

Hye Won really starts to act childish with her jealous fits. I just don’t find it cute. :P

50 minutes ago, RobinM said:

That makes sense. But it’s only the 4th episode and he doesn’t see Hye Won that way that I can tell.    

Yes, I also noticed that. The character of hye won is one dimensional without any developments. I want that to change. 

The character should stop being so annoying and obsessed and should get to the bottom of the mystery. 

24 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Jamie and Jung woo should solve the case and help each other heal, get closure  at the very minimum. Unless this show gets really dark that’s the way these things usually work in K dramas. 

I also thought of that way , what if this drama gets really dark. What if ML is the killer here. Maybe it all ends with his death. 

I really don't like this scenario.

Okay. So in the preview, both Jung Woo and the reporter suggested that it migjt be dissociative identity disorder/multiple personality and Jamie started to act suspicious already. 

Someone might appear to be good but has an alter ego of a devil. Everyone is a candidate. This episode is nuts. :D

29 minutes ago, x_x___chi said:

Okay. So in the preview, both Jung Woo and the reporter suggested that it migjt be dissociative identity disorder/multiple personality and Jamie started to act suspicious already. 

Someone might appear to be good but has an alter ego of a devil. Everyone is a candidate. This episode is nuts. :D

Exactly.. after watching the subbed episode I am also going crazy. What the hell is happening. 

In the preview , now they are talking about DID / multiple personality disorder . And Jaime is asking someone did jung woo knew about it. What does that mean? 

Now in this drama everyone became the possible killer. It could be anyone. Whoa this drama turned out be much better than I thought .

Why would anyone want to kidnap Jaime? That is something I don't get. Is jung woo behind this? Or the bad guys . 

The reporter is very cunning , he could also be someone from the past , I mean who knows, this drama is very exciting and unpredictable.

1 minute ago, Dev11O said:

Exactly.. after watching the subbed episode I am also going crazy. What the hell is happening. 

In the preview , now they are talking about DID / multiple personality disorder . And Jaime is asking someone did jung woo knew about it. What does that mean? 

Now in this drama everyone became the possible killer. It could be anyone. Whoa this drama turned out be much better than I thought .

Why would anyone want to kidnap Jaime? That is something I don't get. Is jung woo behind this? Or the bad guys . 

The reporter is very cunning , he could also be someone from the past , I mean who knows, this drama is very exciting and unpredictable.

Jamie said she sees Jung Woo as herself. Both of them can do anything or can do nothing, which suggests they can do either good or absolute evil (pertains to split personality). 

Also, in episode 1 young Jung Woo said he made it happen (White Night incident) but in episode 4, Jamie suddenly had a recollection of herself saying that. The child’s voice is also of a young female so we are being led that it was she who was responsible for that incident. Maybe their memories are toying with them. 

Still, Hye Won irritates me with her “love” tirades towards her Captain. I find it unnecessary in the script. :P

9 minutes ago, Dev11O said:

This also intrigues me. I’m not sure who she really works for. Jung Woo contacted her so is the reporter. But the reporter just told her to tail Jamie and not kidnap her so there’s another bigger party behind it. 

I was so sure that this drama was about white Night village incident and the survivors. I thought Hyewon will have character growth when she learns about the truth and will help the victims to get justice. But it is weird how much importance they are giving to her one sided feelings for captain Do. It almost seems like a tragic love story where the fl is the villain's innocent daughter and the hero is trying to take advantage of her but you know how it goes...

Actually it is the same story just changed the focus. Only thing holding it back is the fact that Jung Woo doesn't seems to be romantically inclined to her. They don't even have chemistry because of the age gap.

Jamie and Jung woo, it is okay if they don't have romance but atleast flesh their characters properly esp, Jamie's. Give them some closure atleast. It is not just that the actors have chemistry, the camera angles were suggestive. You know how they make it look like the characters are standing very much in each other's personal space.

That private detective kidnapping Jamie is a ballsy move. Who dares to kidnap an incumbent police officer unless they want to get blacklisted? She may not be police but in effect she is the same rn. But what annoys me the most is that the story is not going to take it seriously. They are going to somehow make potatoes out of it. 

Jungwoo's lollypop has drugs in it?? Felt like that's what triggered Jamie. But I am so disappointed that Jamie doesn't have any power. Seems like some trauma and OCD. 

Any of you feel unconvinced about Jamie's reasons for keep targeting Jungwoo? I mean given the larger plot and other things we have seen there is a higher chance of ML setting this up but Jamie doesn't know it. Or is she just going based on feeling?

I feel like the drama is not grounded and is borderline pretentious. I mean the dialogue doesn't feel like something that people will say to each other however different or genius they are. Gives me the vibe that they want to make it sound more deep and smart than it actually is. 

36 minutes ago, x_x___chi said:

Her standing in front of the truck reminded me of our past victims lol. So the captain Do got burned but Jamie also wakes up at a hospital?

or was it song minho in hospital?

Archived