[Drama 2020/2021] Day and Night/Awaken, 낮과 밤

taskdramafanatic

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay..so JW created a puzzle with him in center of it, and now he wants Jaime and hye won to solve it. Interesting....

But why go this far?  I have a few theories but I need episode 6 also,so I am waiting for ep 6. 

Today's episode was just crazy in all aspects. In the preview, Jaime asks what he is hiding from her to JW and he says he is the monster. 

Why kidnap Jaime ? Was that to re-create her trauma, so she would remember. Or create a situation like that so she thinks JW is the killer. 

Was this all his plan? Or is he just pure evil?  Now this just became more complicated and interesting.

Jaime's escape from hospital seemed too easy , that is why I feel like this is the misdirection.

Spoiler

So,to all the Hye won and JW shippers, the ship won't be sailing . JW rejected her. Now I think this is it for the all the love line in this story , now it seems it will focus on the past more.

Jaime escaped from the hospital , after she was kidnapped ,the hospital staff seemed to be doing tests on her. I think JW planned this . 

Hye won father is shady , he is not what he seems . He is also pure evil.

Son Minho was stabbed at the end by JW . Do they want us to think he is the killer? Is it this the misdirection . I don't know? JW was looking scary at the end of the episode.

In the preview , JW is arrested and we start to see a dark side to him.

Jaime was remembering something about her past, and according to her memories , she was the child , who we saw in the beginning saying the riddle, and JW was one of the child who was holding the other boy's hand. 

I haven't completed the ep yet but after Do Jungwoo and others were rescued, Hye won and and Do Jungwoo had a full on staring moment. I cringed so hard thinking she would go and hug him lol. I skipped their these type of scenes because of it, will watch it with subs tomorrow.

BTW, Jamie being tied down and being conducted tests against her will. My heart aches so much for her, she must already have the trauma of being a guinea pig in her childhood. I don't care if she is the villain wish she had some superpower and could escape that place after wrecking it. 

Edit after watching: The moment Son Minho said Jungwoo is someone who could protect his life, I knew he was actually taking the biggest risk to his life with him. I would have been more surprised if Jamie was the killer actually. Because this drama seems to have villain as the most impactful role and Nam Goong min is the bigger actor of the three leads. 

Btw what was the surgery did to Jamie??  I really hate him and that PI for doing this to Jamie. I mean Idk how to explain but of all the characters I feel a connection to Jamie and I felt bad for her in that hospital scene. If Jungwoo wanted time to get close to Son Minho without Jamie intervening, he could have had her tied down unconscious somewhere.  I also think she was let gone purposely. She didn't escape on her own. They mentioned surgery went well but I don't think Jamie had any bandages or surgical wound on her body. 

Also why did Jungwoo went this far? He could have just killed him inside that fire since he was planning to surrender anyway. 

Feels like there is more to this, is he covering for someone? for Jamie?  Or does he not know about other culprits of white night village? That is impossible. The show title is Awaken so while he is on prison and has all the attention on him will others awake? Is that the misdirection?

I probably missed many more scenes. What was the scene with Moon Jae woong? He saw the video of Jamie running and tried to call her? Is that all? Did you feel like her was aware of anything?

2 hours ago, akiera said:

I haven't completed the ep yet but after Do Jungwoo and others were rescued, Hye won and and Do Jungwoo had a full on staring moment. I cringed so hard thinking she would go and hug him lol. I skipped their these type of scenes because of it, will watch it with subs tomorrow.

BTW, Jamie being tied down and being conducted tests against her will. My heart aches so much for her, she must already have the trauma of being a guinea pig in her childhood. I don't care if she is the villain wish she had some superpower and could escape that place after wrecking it. 

Edit after watching: The moment Son Minho said Jungwoo is someone who could protect his life, I knew he was actually taking the biggest risk to his life with him. I would have been more surprised if Jamie was the killer actually. Because this drama seems to have villain as the most impactful role and Nam Goong min is the bigger actor of the three leads. 

Btw what was the surgery did to Jamie??  I really hate him and that PI for doing this to Jamie. I mean Idk how to explain but of all the characters I feel a connection to Jamie and I felt bad for her in that hospital scene. If Jungwoo wanted time to get close to Son Minho without Jamie intervening, he could have had her tied down unconscious somewhere.  I also think she was let gone purposely. She didn't escape on her own. They mentioned surgery went well but I don't think Jamie had any bandages or surgical wound on her body. 

Also why did Jungwoo went this far? He could have just killed him inside that fire since he was planning to surrender anyway. 

Feels like there is more to this, is he covering for someone? for Jamie?  Or does he not know about other culprits of white night village? That is impossible. The show title is Awaken so while he is on prison and has all the attention on him will others awake? Is that the misdirection?

I probably missed many more scenes. What was the scene with Moon Jae woong? He saw the video of Jamie running and tried to call her? Is that all? Did you feel like her was aware of anything?

Yes, if JW was the villian, then he could have easily killed son min Ho but he didn't . He saved him instead.

If we believe this scenario, then where did the hydrogen peroxide come from? How did JW get this chemical in the house? How did he get the blueprint of the house with safe in it. The existence of the safe itself was only known to a few.

If JW is not the killer, then why take such a big risk? Who did he want to save ? Jaime? But from what or who?

I personally believe the PI was sent by him to kidnap Jaime but why? 

Like I said earlier, him being framed as the culprit is the misdirection. Even Jaime seems to have fallen for it.

Yes, I didn't see any surgery performed on her. There was no bandage or anything? 

Moon jae woong,he is also a mystery in this . He was calm while watching the news but became slightly concerned when he saw Jaime in the news. He even picked up the paper with Jaime's number on it to call her. He seems to care for her, which brings to the question,

Did he know who she was from the beginning? 

Now I feel like JW is not alone in this. JW seems to have people to help him. 

Like I mentioned earlier, they confirmed in this episode that the children in the village all had an IQ of 200. That means they were all brilliant and dangerous at the same time. They could easily manipulate others.

They were treated like guinea pigs and experiments were done on them. So sad to even think these poor children were just considered as monsters due to their intelligence,and tortured.

I am really looking forward to watch the next episode. I want to see how everything changes now as JW is locked up. I am really interested to see Jaime figuring it all out.

Maybe from episode 6 we will see a character development for hye won.

She needs to be less annoying and jealous.

Her dad is not all that innocent, I feel that he is the same as son Minho and the bad guys . 

Hye won will find out more about the true personality of her father. I wonder how she will handle this. Will her love remain the same for her father ?

Will she let go off her crush on JW after finding out that he is a victim of her father's bad deeds?

One thing that still bothers me is that do the characters have supernatural powers or something like that or the light blinking stuff and the weather prediction stuff was just for effects?

59 minutes ago, raziela said:

@Dev11O @akiera From your posts it sounds like this episode leaves us with even more questions than we started with? :unamused: Sigh. Maybe I should wait until tomorrow and watch it together with episode 6? 

Yes , it does leave us with a lot of questions and a lot of theories.

But I really want to appreciate the writer of the drama . I have watched many mystery/ thriller series because I am a fan of this particular genre. 

The writer is very brilliant , the writing of the plot is also very interesting.

Because u know at the end of each episode , we are trying to figure out the answers and we have a tonne of questions too, which eventually makes us watch more of the series.

I must say this is one of the best mystery/ thriller series I have watched in a long time.

I really hope the writer doesn't ruin it at the end.

I have seen a lot of kdrama which started great , then messed up at the end. I don't want that to happen to this series.

Somehow, I think Jung Woo's aim is to take the blame for the murders. He knows the killer and is protecting her due to his affinity to that person and blaming himself for that person's fate. There's a movie called Into The White Night, wherein the main guys is cleaning up after the perpetrator's mess so he can take the blame and avoid suspicion on the other. I'm maybe wrong but with JW's intelligence, it's impossible to be sloppy like that unless he intends it to be that way. 

@Dev11O Thanks for replying.  I guess i will watch episode 5 now. I have to admit I'm not as enthusiastic about the drama as you.  I had high hopes but so far I think the drama is just quite good-not great. I will keep watching for LCA, NGM and because I really want to know about the White Night Village mystery!  I do think there are some really good ideas, however, the execution and the writing could be much tighter and better but I will see what I think after this episode ends. Maybe i will just marathon when the drama is over and FF through the pointless scenes.  

1 hour ago, x_x___chi said:

Somehow, I think Jung Woo's aim is to take the blame for the murders. He knows the killer and is protecting her due to his affinity to that person and blaming himself for that person's fate. There's a movie called Into The White Night, wherein the main guys is cleaning up after the perpetrator's mess so he can take the blame and avoid suspicion on the other. I'm maybe wrong but with JW's intelligence, it's impossible to be sloppy like that unless he intends it to be that way. 

If JW is the real villian in this story,like you said he would never make a mistake .

But if he wants to take the blame for a person ,then the question comes up for whom and why?

Let's say Jaime is the person that he wants to protect, in ep 5 it was revealed she was diagnosed with DID and had undergone treatment.

If Jaime was kidnapped by the PI on JW orders, then Maybe, at the hospital she underwent test like the CT scan to know more about the DID. JW wanted to know her true condition.

I personally believe he is planning something else. Like others said in earlier posts, JW is the chess master and he is playing this game and every character Is a chess piece in his game.

1 hour ago, Dev11O said:

If JW is the real villian in this story,like you said he would never make a mistake .

But if he wants to take the blame for a person ,then the question comes up for whom and why?

Let's say Jaime is the person that he wants to protect, in ep 5 it was revealed she was diagnosed with DID and had undergone treatment.

If Jaime was kidnapped by the PI on JW orders, then Maybe, at the hospital she underwent test like the CT scan to know more about the DID. JW wanted to know her true condition.

I personally believe he is planning something else. Like others said in earlier posts, JW is the chess master and he is playing this game and every character Is a chess piece in his game.

I remember clearly that the theme of this movie is about confusing good and evil. If you follow that logic, the perpetrator should be someone posing as “good” or with “good intentions” done thru bad actions. 

I believe that there are really bad guys like the Modu people but the cream of the crop is someone you might not think can be a good villain. The writing is designed to confuse the viewers as they throw theory after theory (drugs, hypnosis, DID) so we will really never know until they are ready to reveal it.

I am dropping my Jamie-Jung Woo ship since it’s clearly not going anywhere at this point but I’m still hopeful they will not push Hye Won to Jung Woo. Like Jung Woo said, he’s not interested, so the story should now go purely to the mystery/thriller arc.

Finished episode 5 and it wasn't as bad as I feared. Yes, more questions but it does feel like some forward progress was made with the plot. We know the cast have said episode 6 is when the real story starts but I think they should have moved the story in this direction sooner. I don't think the predicted serial killer storyline was handled well. I don't know if it's the writing or directing at fault but it lacked a real sense of tension or danger.

I agree with you @Dev11O and @x_x___chi that DJW has planned all of this.

- as predicted the "suspense" about whether DJW was alive or not didn't even last 10 minutes lol!

- the police in this drama aside from DJW and Jamie continue to be idiots.  Injured DJW and kidnapped and traumatised Jamie did more investigative work and policing than anyone else.  Like, really, not a single other person wondered how the heck DJW knew about the safe AND the hydrogen peroxide?

- it's clear Lee Jin Wook and DJW go way back from the casual way they were chatting in DJW's room.

- Jamie's files stated she was diagnosed with DID and PTSD as a child but had received treatment.

- Who kidnapped her and why? I  agree @akiera I felt so bad for Jamie. It must be so traumatising. She was obviously let go on purpose. It was too easy. They nurse mentioned a CyberKinife procedure was performed on Jamie. I just googled and it is a targeted radiation treatment for cancer. 

- I still think DJW was behind the kidnapping for some reason. I didn't really like how nobody seemed to care about Jamie going missing for three days. Also thought it was wrong for Hye Won to trespass in her home just to look at all Jamie's investigation work. 

- Jamie's memories: so the children were super geniuses with IQs of 200 being experimented on and treated like monsters.  Some of them were even committing suicide:tears:  This time in Jamie's memories she was the one who caused the destruction of White Night and child 113 was behind her holding the youngest child's hand.  In episode 1, the child who made it happen was male.  In episode 3 and 4 we see that Jung Woo was number 113 and Jamie was number 112.

- Moon Jae Woong looked concerned for Jamie.  Still waiting for Moon Jae Woong to do something besides eat ramen at the convenience store.  The actor must be sick of the taste of instant ramen:lol:

- The writing for Hye Won's character is ridiculous (made even worse by the weak acting. So miscast)  They should have just made her someone who idolises her captain and left it at that.  Not this stupid, childish obsessive puppy love for a senior she barely knows. From today's rejection I don't get the vibe DJW likes her back. I think he is fond of her as a team mate and finds her amusing but not romantically interested. Whatever. This drama REALLY doesn't need romance. (I mean I won't lie...I wouldn't mind a loveline with my favourite character, Jamie:D but i like the camaraderie of her working with DJW platonically too. Overall, romance seems so unnecessary and out of synch with everything else going on especially as HW's character is written so childishly with all the shouting, fighting and unprofessional behaviour)

- I think the conversations with HW's father in this episode are on the surface about DJW but they are also really about what she is going to do when she finds out about her father.  She is obviously a daddy's girl.

- The lawyer was the real target?  It seems like he was exhibiting the lucid dreaming actions without normal survival reflexes.  Why did the lawyer look so terrified when he saw him?  And the cruel look on DJW's face?

- I think DJW orchestrated this to get close to Son Min Ho.  I also wondered if he specifically wanted the safe and its contents to be exposed. But then Jung Woo stabs him anyway so it feels like a very longwinded way to do things.

- I actually noticed in the previous episodes that DJW never outright said to Jamie he wasn't the culprit whenever she asked him.

3 hours ago, raziela said:

it is a targeted radiation treatment for cancer.

What?

So jamie had cancer and without her even knowing they did treatment for her?

LOL I will be really mad if they don't take this story line seriously. I mean kidnapping Jamie and doing this to an investigative officer, there should be consequences. 

Was that radiation for something else?? To mask something in her or to awaken something??

Agree. I wouldn't include this drama in my best mystery/thriller lists. It could be better and I hope the drama will maintain  at least this level of quality in writing. Don't go down hill pleaseeee.  But I like that it is making me think even after I finish the ep, now that is something. 

3 hours ago, raziela said:

- Who kidnapped her and why? I  agree @akiera I felt so bad for Jamie. It must be so traumatising. She was obviously let go on purpose. It was too easy. They nurse mentioned a CyberKinife procedure was performed on Jamie. I just googled and it is a targeted radiation treatment for cancer. 

- I still think DJW was behind the kidnapping for some reason. I didn't really like how nobody seemed to care about Jamie going missing for three days. Also thought it was wrong for Hye Won to trespass in her home just to look at all Jamie's investigation work. 

- Moon Jae Woong looked concerned for Jamie.  Still waiting for Moon Jae Woong to do something besides eat ramen at the convenience store.  The actor must be sick of the taste of instant ramen:lol:

Like what you said, Cyberknife is for removal of tumours at tricky spots such as the brain when surgery is not an option. It has little side effects, no visible "injury" after the procedure as well. I wonder if the show is suggesting that jamie's memory loss is caused by a tumour? 

I 1001% agree JW is the one who instructed for Jamie's kidnap with how he didn't even bother about her being missing. 

Here's my take, while some of us think JW and Jamie may be siblings, I thought that Jamie and Jae Woong were hinted as siblings more than JW and Jamie hahaha.

Overall, I like that the show is finally picking up plotwise and I can't wait for even more reveals! Exciting!!!

Though with all these misdirections and hintings, I definitely think this show deserves a rewatch after things are slowly revealed! 

On 12/15/2020 at 3:39 AM, akiera said:

What?

So jamie had cancer and without her even knowing they did treatment for her?

LOL I will be really mad if they don't take this story line seriously. I mean kidnapping Jamie and doing this to an investigative officer, there should be consequences. 

Was that radiation for something else?? To mask something in her or to awaken something??

I really don't know unless they used it for another reason.  In Jamie's flashback it mentions that her Amygdala is enlarged. Did some more googling and the amygdala is "best known as the part of the brain that drives the so-called “fight or flight” response. While it is often associated with the body's fear and stress responses, it also plays a pivotal role in memory." so perhaps it is to help her memories to return. I really hope it is addressed properly instead of yet more questions on questions or 10 more useless minutes of Hye Won obsessing over her boss yet again:sleeping:I know the police in this drama are useless but she is a recently arrived American citizen working for the police force. That would be a big diplomatic incident but they are so blase about it:blink:

On 12/15/2020 at 3:39 AM, akiera said:

Agree. I wouldn't include this drama in my best mystery/thriller lists. It could be better and I hope the drama will maintain  at least this level of quality in writing. Don't go down hill pleaseeee.  But I like that it is making me think even after I finish the ep, now that is something. 

Right?  It's frustrating because there is a really good story centred around the White Night Village mystery and JW, JL and MJW connection hidden in there.  I won't deny there are some good scenes and moments, NGM is excellent, the majority of the cast are very talented but the overall execution is lacking. It feels like there is a lack of focus and too much extra bumpf, going around in circles, scenes and character that add very little, not enough of important characters and the drama is deliberately trying to confuse us whilst throwing various clues and red herrings at us. I get the misdirection theme but you need to have the full package of sharp writing/directing/editing/acting to make that work and, unfortunately, this drama doesn't have that.

Like I said above thus far the tension, sense of danger, urgency is lacking and that is not what you want for a mystery/crime/thriller genre. Sorry to compare but the most recent mystery drama I watched was Flower of Evil. I liked FoE a lot even though I didn't think it was the absolute greatest drama ever like some. However, now looking at the characterisation of all the characters, the execution and tension of the mystery, backstory and atmosphere in that story compared to here is just worlds apart. There were many scenes in FoE that had me on the edge of my seat but this drama so far fails to sustain any real tension IMO.

I also looked up what cyberknife was, but why use it on Jaime. It's confusing.

I know guys, for some of you the plot lacks strong writing because of all these twists and all , but if the writer is able to clearly provide all the answers at the end of the drama for all questions we got,then the confusion we feel now can be considered normal. Because maybe that's how the writer wants us to feel.

Other cops in this drama is presented as idiots, including Hye won without any proper investigative abilities could be because they have fallen for the misdirection.

Do u remember the modu guy's voice-over when hye won was crossing the road with the reporter, people will always believe what is presented to them, even if doesn't make any sense, they will still believe it because everyone else believes it. But hye won is the unpredictable variable in this,her role as the narrator at the end is because she is supposed to be the one who is different from others , who will find the truth herself.

Maybe JW will never get out of prison, he really did kill son Minho and others and he is the real villian.

Then also, the story is not finished.

So like I said earlier he created a puzzle and now wants Jaime and hye won to solve it.

Like the theme, he is a bad guy whose intentions were good.

The ep 6 preview description from TVN ..

Son min Ho hides to escape from the killer , but an unexpected person attacks him.

Jaime convinces everyone JW is the killer and both Hye won and special team is dispatched to the safe house.

Meanwhile, JW confesses to everyone the dark truth that was hidden in the forewarned murders.

9 hours ago, Soar Wi said:

Like what you said, Cyberknife is for removal of tumours at tricky spots such as the brain when surgery is not an option. It has little side effects, no visible "injury" after the procedure as well. I wonder if the show is suggesting that jamie's memory loss is caused by a tumour? 

I 1001% agree JW is the one who instructed for Jamie's kidnap with how he didn't even bother about her being missing. 

Here's my take, while some of us think JW and Jamie may be siblings, I thought that Jamie and Jae Woong were hinted as siblings more than JW and Jamie hahaha.

Overall, I like that the show is finally picking up plotwise and I can't wait for even more reveals! Exciting!!!

Though with all these misdirections and hintings, I definitely think this show deserves a rewatch after things are slowly revealed! 

Thank you for the further explanation of the procedure. That's a possibility but I wonder how would DJW know that?

I thought it was so weird nobody in the team even questioned how unbothered JW was considering how friendly he and Jamie had become  I mean in the previous episode everyone was speculating the two of them were sleeping together but the next episode he barely raises an eyebrow at Jamie disappearing off the face of the earth for 3 days. These are police officers?:wacko:

I agree Jamie and Jae Woong are the siblings from the drama hints.  

I do think you make a good point that this might be one of those dramas that is less frustrating watched all at once rather than week on week (but that shouldn't be the case for a drama that is aired weekly) 

Spoiler

So JW really did stab son Minho, and JW is locked up.

From the preview of next episode it seems like hye won and JW ship is sailing, but I don't know if he is using her for his revenge.

Hye won's father is really evil. 

Jaime is not done , now she is also investigating the past.

Archived