[Drama 2020] Tale of Gumiho, 구미호뎐

taskdramafanatic

I’ve been excited for this drama for a while, and it did not disappoint!  

I like both the FL and ML, they don't feel like cliche characters at all to me. Ji Ah is smart, perceptive, and straightforward, but not cold or jaded, she's still curious and good-hearted and open to the mysteries of the world. I’ve always been a fan of unsolved mysteries and the paranormal, so I appreciate her line of work - I’d totally watch her show! As for Lee Yeon, there's a gravity and age to him as well as a subtle insouciance that suits a fox. Too much in either direction - either too serious or too mischievous - would've felt too obvious, but two episodes in and he feels layered already. (Not sure if I dig that bright red hair on LDW, I assume it's a nod to a fox’s coloring - but was it just me, or was the color changing in between scenes? Sometimes even from shot to shot in the same scene, going from practically orange to really dark?) Anyway, I like the dynamic between them so far; it feels as if though logically they know they're essentially strangers and should be cautious, on an emotional level they're slipping quickly into a natural comfort with each other. Just that little moment in the homestay bedroom where he put the blanket over her head was super cute (and also a pleasant surprise, since in many dramas the ML and FL barely touch until halfway through, let alone flirt and share a bedroom in the second episode!) 

The younger brother is more of that classic roguish "trickster" persona but there are definitely some sensitive wounds there I'm looking forward to exploring. I remember reading that KB took inspiration from abandoned animals and we saw a hint of that already during the brothers' conversation at the waterfront restaurant. Even some of his movements remind me of a coyote or something. The brothers' contrasting personalities and past relationship is interesting, not to mention they’re both handsome to boot! :wub:

(Also, I loved Goblin so of course I was tickled by the subtle little references to it in episode 1 - I made my husband pause so I could explain in detail! Considering he’s never seen it, I’m sure he was very deeply interested… :lol:

EDITED TO ADD: One more thing, I'm not really thrilled with the reincarnation aspect, I feel like that's really been done to death in dramas, but I'll wait and see how it's handled. I've always thought it would be cool to have a story about a couple who are not soulmates/destined/etc, but defy fate and choose to be together anyway; so it would be neat if, despite her resemblance, Ji Ah is not his past love but he falls for her anyway.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Annyeong  Chingudeul

Just watched the first two episodes... It is beyond my expections... 

When I first learnt that Lee Dong Wook had accepted the script.. I was anxious how the storyline would be.. I was a bit sceptical and with Jo Bo Ah as the lead actress.. Was not at all excited.. :crazy:

The only comfort I had was Lee Dong Wook (crush from My Girl days) and Kim Bum... :heart4:

Jo Bo Ah always play negative roles in the dramas I have watched of her... Those annoying characters... 

But two episodes done... I guess now I can change my opinion... :Megalol:

After two episodes... I can't wait for the series to complete... 

:hooray2:

• Like 3

He's an ACTUAL meme!

:Megalol:

8d73fee4dd47b3295adef1e1756baeb747cb7196

cred. owner

I'm honestly so surprised by his characterisation in this show - in a good way! I expected him to be the typical seductive and extremely flirty "fox" kinda like what LR (his brother) portrays but I love this version so much more! He's almost childlike sometimes then REALLY suave the next minute. I love it. The first two episodes really got me intrigued. And you know a show is interesting the moment the FL literally uses a tranquilizer on the ML :joy:

ALSO I can't be the only one who was super creeped out in the beginning of episode 1 with that scene with her "parents" and the accident right cause I did NOT sign up for a horror/thriller drama :fear:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Finished Episode 2.

It gave me all Twilight and L.O.S.T vibes. 

My 2 cents Ji-Ah's parents knew their kid would be special, they had her Fox Pill embedded in her soul Sealed by something or the Bead may have been stolen. That is why Lee Yeon cannot detect the Pill inside her soul.

Lee Rang is a sadist IMO, he needs to have some other lines further except harping on same tune. See Ah Eum was killed , was she killed by Him? (He was said to be 600 year Old fox, and Lee Yeon has been wandering in Mortal World since 600 years as per Viki Subs), or maybe there is a third fourth person involved here.

I like how they are playing around with Multiple Mythical Gods but I hope it doesn't get overly cumbersome (Also I lowkey think Dr. Doolittle Fox is not all goody goody since he posses all the Controlling pills for Mythical people, he could have something to with All Reincarnated Altercations  but I may be wrong). 

I liked the storyline but I did not like FOX King's / Rain King's costume and hair in Heaven or Fox Realm whatever it was. 

Lets see what next week brings.

Also is it me or does his nostalgic tune of Lee Yeon and Ah Eum resembles Braveheart Movies Tune??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@blademan, totally agree. I’m really enjoying LDW’s character in this drama so far. I don’t think I have seen him play a character like this in his drama shows that I watched. I like his acting here and I tend to think he’s probably having fun while acting the character.

I definitely get Grim Reaper in Goblin vibes from him atm. When he's acting childish LOL

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, blademan said:

I definitely get Grim Reaper in Goblin vibes from him atm. When he's acting childish LOL

Grim Reaper Liked Watching K dramas, Gumiho loves American Dramas.

Grim Reaper I think loved Shakes/Juices , Gumiho likes Mint Chocolate Icecream.

Both Loved and Lost and now searching for something.Both Can Erase Memories.

Grim Reaper although was Less expressive Gumiho wins on that Part.And this one Loves shoving his enemies onto the Window.Grim Reaper only needed to Use His Voice to make others surrender. :phew:

Also Both somehow have names related to KES shows...Lee Yeon resembles Lee Gon and Kim Woo Bin Lol.

The Lady Grim Reaper maybe stole The then Grim Reapers Job opened an Induction Session for Purgatory Passengers of instead Tea Party 1:1 grillimg before travelling in after Life.And then banished him to be the Gumiho King.Haha

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I like this drama, i just wished that they didn't do it so much cliché like they did in ep 1-2... This story has a lot of potential, especially with the brothers issue... but, they just introduced the first love troupe and the reincarnation troupe...

A love can be the most magical, awesome and eternal love WITHOUT the NEED for lovers to have met when they were children/ancient creature nor for them to be reincarnated and be destined to meet again and again and again. Like, it seems that the only way for a love to be memorable/great in most kdramas and fantasy kdramas is to be one of these overused clichés troupes (1rst love , reincarnation)

Not to mention that that cliché of the reinarcated lover leads to the actual question if the lovers love the actual person in front of them or the idea of their late lover and some characteristic of the new person. I would love if the FL isn't the old love of the fox.

Aside from that, this writter really needs to separate their writing from the Goblin route, because so far, this seems like an updated AU of goblin.

• Like 1

@cafe99 totally agree over this reincarnation cliche. They are using this so much. but I liked how they were more logical over this: the person soul doesnt need to reborn with same body. it can be man, woman, animal...but again they used a same cliche as her coming to a life with same body in every century. This cant happen. Maybe reincarnation happen we would never know but person cant born with same look. That means your family also reincarnated, got married again. there is something called DNA. You need it for able to born again with same look. that also means all your relatives reincarnated again and again and found each other. than why your soul changes body in every comeback? This cliche is tiring. I disappointed when I saw his first love is also JA. and her reincarnated self probably will go out as JA again. At least do smth interesting and make that woman a dog in this life. ;)

• Like 3

Phew it's been some time since I really got excited about a k-drama, yay! The horror fantasy mix they're brewing is great, I had a lot of fun with the first two episodes. Now of course there are things that I found to be veering into nonsensical territory. Jumping off the balcony for instance; OK girl, calm down. I get that they're trying to show us a headstrong and clever female lead, but I think her fearless attitude should be toned down a bit. Doesn't she carry a childhood trauma? I would expect her to be more fearful of the deadly magical creatures. She's like Buffy the "Gumiho" slayer haha

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Hi guys, first time posting here. My first reaction after watching this drama, wow!! I didn't expect this drama would become a horor / thriller genre. Everyone says this drama is goblin 2.0, but nah I dont think so. I legit feel gosebumps in some scenes. But I do agree with some people here that this drama reminds me a lot to other stories, it's nothing new, like mix of them. But I still enjoyed it anyway

@Artheusa I agree. I love the female lead, but the writer is going overboard with her. The scene that is feels weird for me when LY tells her that he saved her life when she was kid. But she doesnt have any reaction only ask about her parents. . .then I realized that LY saved her so many times but she never say thank you, or feel gratefull, she injected him instead right after he saved her life. .?

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 11:33 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

Fox can only loves one person until death, aww 

I think it is her but , so some snake spirit impersonating JA?

I am hoping they have a happy endin

just like the mermaid/merman in the legend of the blue sea.:D

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

23 hours ago, baby.hae said:

I agree. I love the female lead, but the writer is going overboard with her. The scene that is feels weird for me when LY tells her that he saved her life when she was kid. But she doesnt have any reaction only ask about her parents. . .then I realized that LY saved her so many times but she never say thank you, or feel gratefull, she injected him instead right after he saved her life. .?

That may come from the fact that she did not wanted to be The ONLY one to be saved right. Her parents Vanished in Thin Air, she has no info on them, there are Urban Mythical creatures murdering Humans all around South Korea, I am not sure she can really be Thankful for being alive when she feels Cheated.

• Like 1