[Drama 2020] Tale of Gumiho, 구미호뎐

taskdramafanatic

It has been a while since I was last here. I stopped watching after EP 11 because it left me emotionally conflicted. I was really invested with Rang that I feel like it is better for me to take a break because I need myself to be able to watch Yeon objectively.

I just finished EP 12 and almost halfway through EP 13. I am not sure if it because the excitement is not there anymore, I feel really exhausted and my energy wearing off. It made me feel like I am watching the earlier episodes all over again. We got happy scenes between Yeon and Ji Ah and Rang happiness being short-lived again because this time around Yuri stabbed him. I mean, Imoogi is still on the loose, he got all the time to start planning things but in comparison, I don't feel the urgency in Yeon to finishes this off. Is the writer too busy trying to last minute fitting PPL into all scenes because I truly feel distracted with all the unnecessary shots. 

I guess it will take me quite a long time to finish this off. For those who are done with this, do I need to pay utmost attention for the rest of the episodes (EP14-16)? I am trying my best to avoid spoiler because I know that once I know how it ends, I will not even try to finish it. I am not really invested with the lead's loveline, I only care about Rang, Yuri, Shin Joo and the kid (the puppy reincarnation). 

• Like 1

What a disappointment. I feel like Rang was being created by the writer just to be the unlucky one. In the end he needs to sacrifice himself just because of Ji Ah and Yeon with their self centered love story. Ji Ah can just learn to move on and live her life as Yeon wanted. She can distract herself with her work. She has family. She has friends. Not forget to mention her parents! How could she offer her life and leave her parents behind like that? I guess the writer really put Ji Ah x Yeon lovestory like the most important thing in this world.

Ji Ah and Yeon happily reunite while Rang faced his death. So self centered. So unfair. Rang's new family is also precious They care for each other. 

Rang choose to die even he's unsure how Yeon will be reincarnate. 

And the reincarnation is weird. Yeon is back just the way he is and claim that he's human. While he's not..? And Rang is reappearing as the bike kiddo. Rang has just died so that kid shouldn't be him.

Anyway there were some other dissapointments during the whole drama. I even almost stop. Poor.

In summary. Sorry to say. Not gonna recommend this drama.

• Like 7

I was actually hyped for the series because of the awesome plot in EP1 but I hate the way it went on at the later episodes of a drama. Afterwards it all becomes so clichéd, it also drained my energy to watch it. 

I'm of the same opinion as you are - Yeon really should've stayed dead. Losing Rang is much more hurtful than losing Yeon; even if he gets re-incarnated and now has a happy childhood, I feel for Rang-ah's family. They really didn't deserve it.

(Guess Shin Ju has figured out when Lee Rang moves out, eh?, said a sarcastic part of me.)

I hope there is no season 2 of this. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, nat_phoenix88 said:

What a disappointment. I feel like Rang was being created by the writer just to be the unlucky one. In the end he needs to sacrifice himself just because of Ji Ah and Yeon with their self centered love story. Ji Ah can just learn to move on and live her life as Yeon wanted. She can distract herself with her work. She has family. She has friends. Not forget to mention her parents! How could she offer her life and leave her parents behind like that? I guess the writer really put Ji Ah x Yeon lovestory like the most important thing in this world.

Ji Ah and Yeon happily reunite while Rang faced his death. So self centered. So unfair. Rang's new family is also precious They care for each other. 

Rang choose to die even he's unsure how Yeon will be reincarnate. 

And the reincarnation is weird. Yeon is back just the way he is and claim that he's human. While he's not..? And Rang is reappearing as the bike kiddo. Rang has just died so that kid shouldn't be him.

Anyway there were some other dissapointments during the whole drama. I even almost stop. Poor.

In summary. Sorry to say. Not gonna recommend this drama.

I didn’t continue watching after Rang gave up his life cos I just couldn’t continue. Who is to determine Rang’s happiness and life is less worthy compared to Yeon and Jia’s love and happiness.

I agree that Jia should move on and carry Yeon’s memory and his hope for her to live a long happy life. Afterall he died knowing all the consequences. Just respect his last wishes. 

Bringing him back at the expense of Rang is just wrong. 

• Like 2

I just finish watching this drama and although many people hate it at least it do justice to Lee Rang. He finally get the family he loves the most and Yeon still precious in his heart. That's what family do even we make a wrong choice. And this make Kim Bum rise as a very good actor even he didn't get any recognition for a very long time.

Even others sacrificed to get Yeon back, I don't think the storyline will be better. Love to see the relationship between Lee brothers which actually the best part of this drama.  

• Like 2

Lee Rang sacrifice was noble at the end. His character development reached the finale. The writer did her best. In the first few episodes, we saw him as a ruthless man - killing innocents, trick and conning people. Just because his life was RickRoll'D, and abandoned by the brother. His kind heart turned black all over 600 years. Who knows how much he has sinned? The GateKeeper and Grandma knew about it, but never told Lee Yeon to kill him or whatsoever.  He is the one who started the Imugi revival and so on tragedies happened.

With his sacrifice, his reincarnation was rewarded with a loving mom.

I dont know the machinations of reincarnation but it seems time is not relative in the underworld. 

One thing is I dont understand how Yeon still has his powers? Is it the sword? Perhaps he is human but not fully. Only when he access the sword, he became the fox. Right?

• Like 3

I am typing this while the last 12 minutes of EP 16 still playing. If I try to pour all my thought here, I think I will become the most bitter person ever. Apparently there is a limit where I can stand watching double standard happening in a drama. Until the end, I can't wrapped my thoughts how important Yeon and Jiah's love story that almost everyone have to sacrifice in some way or another. If I am one of the human that died because of the virus spread by Imoogi, I will reincarnate back just to hunt Yeon because of his selfish decision wanting 3 days for him to figure out how to kill the Imoogi inside Jiah without killing Jiah killed me instead. How Jiah's life is much more important than mine? This epic love story wannabe is a complete failure in my book.

One thing I am thankful for this drama is Kim Bum as Rang. He is the reason how I survived this. I'd rather see him being taken by Granny to pay for all his sin rather than him sacrificing for Yeon. Yes, I am bitter that way. I literally don't care about Yeon because even though he didn't kill people himself, his self-centered decision became the initial source that slides into domino effect for all the misfortune that happened. I prefer Ah Eum now because she knows that by sacrificing herself will save everyone but Yeon is the reason why it still happened in the end. 

Shin Ju, Yuri and Soo Ho happy ending in the finale made me happy. Rang gaining family that he always want made me into sobbing mess. I will always remember them as the saving grace of this drama. 

With this, I end my chapter with Tale of Gumiho. We will never meet again unless I feel like reliving Rang's memory. Annyeong. 

• Like 4

FINAL REVIEW.

It took Imugi good  20 minutes to Hunt and Hypnotize every character. It took 2 tight Slaps from Lee Yeon to bring them out of Illusion. K DRAMA Troops Hype Up the Villain and then they Fizzle Out in 5 minutes.

This show took it to another Notch, Lee Yeon was Undefeatable!! In every Episode, where's the conflict and tension Yo, this made me mad.

My theory was somewhat right Imugi was connected to Grim Reaper Halmoni's son. Now Her son looked like Tae-Ri but resembled Lee Yeon? EH! What???The writers could have played on this part instead of uber long beach scenes.

Episode 15 was WAY TOO SLOW MO. DISAPPOINTED with LATER Half, The Creepiness and Urban Legend for this SHOW WAS Its best Part. IT went downhill after Green Juice Lady's EPISODE.

Episode 16 Lee Yeon died Lee Rang and rest cried. Done. Did not cry it was maybe the Only solution to stop the Human destruction . I get where Granny was coming from she had the Human Race to save , that cannot be scarified for a Girl, yet for Her Pseudo Son's sake she chose to break the Rule. SHE HAD Responsibilities which no other People had, one cannot blame her to be NOT FLEXIBLE IMO. 

The Moment Lee RANG Chose to give up his Life. Tear Ducts and BGM My God it was way for Hard Hitting than LEE Yeon or anything else. BUT HEAR ME. HE needed to DIE to Clean His SINS. He could have only Survived further By sniffing the Could entrapped in Chinese Lantern, that was a SIN further. HE Needed to feel Loved thoroughly. I am pacifying about his death but He needed his redemption.

The background Scenes WERE AMAZING in EPISODE 16, Lee Rang's Funeral and Lee Yeon Wedding Done Beautifully.

The show and the questions I was left with.

1. Lee Yeon chased the Unlucky Guy with Mask , and Glowed with FOX Eyes. He is now a Human with Illuminated FOX eyes???

2. How does Lee Yeon earn Money?

3. WHAT Happened to Sacrifice Deal Dr. Doolittle made with Granny?

4. Reincarnated Lee Rang was 8-9 years Old, so Lee Yeon and Jiah should have been married around a Decade, still no Kids? Or not shown??

For me The Romance was a Miss on something, their Chemistry was NOT the issue, The Issue was the background storyline was not Engaging enough tbh. It lacked something I cannot pinpoint what though.

HALL OF Gumiho Fame AWARDS from My end...

Kim BUM STOLE the SHOW. Hands Down, LOVE Rang Loathe RANG, You will NOT BE IGNORE THIS GUY!! AMAZING ACTING. (tbh he stole scenes in BOF as well but alas was not hyped that way lolol)

Special Mention to Dr Doolittle, His Song Proposal if done in 2 more episodes My heart would have melted like a Gooey Mint Choco Icecream, He sings SOO Good.

Tae-Ri needs his OWN Show , He carries Creepy like a Pro that too standing face 2 face with a Seasoned ACTOR like LDW.

• Thanks 2

Lee Dong Wook has placed 1st in buzzworthy weekly rating for dramas’ actors/characters.

Kim Bum has placed 3rd and Bo A 5th. 

Besides our drama placed 2rd among buthworthy dramas. 

圖片

Our drama placed 2rd among buthworthy dramas.

圖片

• Like 2

In my opinion, Lee Yeon never being reincarnated because he still retain his name and age.  When he jumped in Samdeon with Imoogi, he is in the limbo (just like in Goblin when Kim Shin died and he is somewhere between heaven and earth). So most probably Lee Rang sacrifice remove Lee Yeon from the limbo and back to earth. He might lose his power temporarily (that's explain why he is like human) and gained back his power later on. I'm sure it is also part of Granny Talupia work because she seem very fond with Yeon. This is just my theory. 

• Insightful 1

11 hours ago, SweetButters said:

Totally forgot to post on here because I switched to posting on Twitter or my blog. Anyways for those who have some questions concerning the very end scene of Lee Yeon, please check out my blog 

Thanks now my confusion is cleared.. Thank God for people like you here..

I was right!!.. Coming here to check was the right decision!!!!

Gomawoyeoooo chingu.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@SweetButters amazing research and explanation on Lee Yeon's journey to becoming a human - it would have taken too much effort to look it up like you did :P. I had assumed that he got a human body but his soul was that of a fox due to the fox bead. LOL

As for Lee Rang, I'm completely sold with what you had to say, though your explanation addressed the head, not the heart. And it's the heart of the viewers that ain't soothed by the ending [based on my observations of the comments]. Well, that's the reason this forum is here. It gives viewers a chance to air their grieviances, whether it's from the head or the heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@SweetButters amazing research and explanation on Lee Yeon's journey to becoming a human - it would have taken too much effort to look it up like you did :P. I had assumed that he got a human body but his soul was that of a fox due to the fox bead. LOL

As for Lee Rang, I'm completely sold with what you had to say, though your explanation addressed the head, not the heart. And it's the heart of the viewers that ain't soothed by the ending [based on my observations of the comments]. Well, that's the reason this forum is here. It gives viewers a chance to air their grieviances, whether it's from the head or the heart.

@SC2019 Haha thanks ! I became way too invested in TOTNT lol!!! Yea his ending was actually explained in Ep 1 too! 

ENt5K0G.jpg

ec8ftU9.jpg

Like the fox bride was on her way to becoming human too (getting married to an unsuspecting human husband), but since you know she wasn't a good person, she didn't succeed unlike Lee Yeon lol!

With Lee Rang, I'd admit I was swept up in my emotions when I predicted his outcome in my ep 16 predictions. However, I did initially predicted he would die since ep 4 I think, but with me trying to remain optimistic I tried to change my tune at the very last minute lol. With how Lee Rang died, I thought it was fitting too. Some had wished he would've had a more dramatic death, but to me it comes full circle (refer to my tweets below). With regards to how Lee Rang's ending didn't appeal to those who had a strong emotional connection to his character, I would say that writers usually write endings that make logical sense. I think if only for a moment, they could try to think about things without letting their emotions get in the way, they could then appreciate the writer more for having given Lee Rang an ending that was both a logical and happy. 

ZF5aZ0g.png

Spoiler

x5Ucb0w.png

• Like 2