Cast:

Wang Yizhe

Wang Herun Rain

Wang Yuwei

Xu Xiaoruo

Wu Jingyan

Nie Yuan

Synopsis:

Ying Luo's daughter, Princess Shaohua, Er Qin's son, Fu Kang An and Hong Zhou's daughter, Princess Siwan are caught in a love triangle.

Came across this article :

5 things to know about much-anticipated sequel to Story Of Yanxi Palace

Netflix will air the spin-off of hit Chinese drama Story Of Yanxi Palace (2018) on Dec 31 this year. The spin-off, Yanxi Palace: Princess Adventures, is based on the highly successful original series, which was streamed more than 15 billion times when it aired last year.

The sequel will follow the love story of Princess Zhaohua, the daughter of Emperor Qianlong and consort Wei Yingluo - the lead character of the original series.

Here are five things to know about the upcoming series.

1. TALENTED YOUNG ACTORS IN A 'LOVE RECTANGLE'

The series will focus on the romantic entanglements of Princess Zhaohua, played by up-and-coming Chinese actress Wang Herun. The 25-year-old made her mark with roles in highly rated drama series like this year's The Longest Day In Chang'an and also campus film Yesterday Once More (2016).

Wang's Princess Zhaohua will begin a complicated romance with Fu Kang'an - the supposed son of the Qing Dynasty official Fu Heng from the previous series and his wife - the evil palace maid Erqing.

Erqing was sentenced to death by poison by Wei Yingluo in the original story due to her many misdeeds. In the spin-off, Fu Kang'an harbours a grudge towards Princess Zhaohua and Wei Yingluo over the death of his mother. Fu is played by 25-year-old Wang Yizhe, who appeared in last year's The Phoenix Prison, a period drama.

The young cast will be rounded out by Chinese actor Wang Yuwei, 24, as a Mongolian prince who falls in love with Princess Zhaohua and Chinese actress Xu Xiaonuo, 25, who plays Emperor Qianlong's niece.

2. WHO IS THE FATHER OF FU KANG'AN?

Viewers who have followed Story Of Yanxi Palace will know that Fu is not the son of Fu Heng but who is his father? In the original series, Erqing says her son was born out of a one-night folly with Emperor Qianlong and relays this information to Empress Fucha, devastating her and causing her death.

But the series never addresses whether Erqing's claims are true and one popular theory is that Fu Kang'an is actually the son of Erqing and Fu Qian - Fu Heng's brother.

The spin-off is expected to address the parentage of Fu Kang'an.

3. EMPEROR QIANLONG AND WEI YINGLUO WILL REAPPEAR

According to media reports, Emperor Qianlong, played by actor Nie Yuan, and consort Wei Yingluo, played by actress Wu Jinyan, will have cameos in the new series.

Nie and Wu will reportedly appear in the series as aged versions of their characters. But fan favourite Empress Fucha, played by Qin Lan, will not appear as the story is set after her death in the original series.

4. LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER

Chinese actress Wang Herun, 25, is set to play the protagonist Princess Zhaohua. Vogue Taiwan quoted Wang as saying that her character inherited her mother's personality, "the ruthlessness inside her".

In the original series, Wei does not hesitate to unleash her wrath at people who have wronged her or those she loves and it seems her daughter will have the same fiery streak too.

5. AN OLD NEMESIS MAY RETURN

Wang Herun also revealed in an interview that her character was abducted and tortured as a child by Yuan Chunwang, an antagonist in the previous series who was originally friends with Wei Yingluo but later becomes her nemesis.

Wang says the trauma caused to Princess Zhaohua by Yuan leaves a psychological scar on her character. It is likely that the evil character of Yuan will have screen time in the spin-off if the plot addresses his torture of Princess Zhaohua.

Perhaps abit too early to say, but find the 2 young actresses look abit similar to each other. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it and I got to say... I think I will need to go and watch Yanxi Palace. I just don't like the manipulation schemes that palace people have to play in order to survive. 

For those who have watched this mini-series, 

Spoiler

What did you guys think of the ending? Who would you have wanted FL to end up with? Do you really think Fu'Kang En's Identity is what everyone assumed in the Yanxi Series or what the FL says to him in the end? 

1 hour ago, JoyceDreamer said:

Just finished it and I got to say... I think I will need to go and watch Yanxi Palace. I just don't like the manipulation schemes that palace people have to play in order to survive. 

For those who have watched this mini-series, 

Hide contents

What did you guys think of the ending? Who would you have wanted FL to end up with? Do you really think Fu'Kang En's Identity is what everyone assumed in the Yanxi Series or what the FL says to him in the end? 

I think (which I don't do too often) no one really knows, only that his mom was w/2 men. If you haven't watched Yanxi Palace, you definitely need to. I've watched it so many times & I never get bored. The machinations of the palace are something else - but it's do or die. Consort Ling only fought back; she didn't bring trouble unless someone picked on an innocent. 

Yingluo being badass in the confrontation with Fu Kangan and his uncle was great. Erqing was a poor excuse of a human being. What she did to both Empress Fuca and Fuheng was disgusting. Too bad it wasn't longer since Princess Zhaohua wasn't really likeable because of her spoiled attitude. as @Takingthehighroad said, Yingluo never went after innocent people. She was only vicious to protect herself and her friends. I think that Zhaohua would change in the future since from what i saw of the prince she married, didn't like to bully innocent people. I think Zhaohua choose the right husband. I think she would mature better with him. This is just my opinion anyways.

I don’t think the princess is like the mother.  She just seem like a spoiled brat.   The mother was smart, cunning and was not afraid to be brutal when she had to be.  She doesn’t like injustice, where as the princess does whatever she wants and doesn’t seem to treat servants as human beings based on the fist ep.  the mother would never do that.  The princess is rash and I don’t think the way the character is portrayed, not very smart.  Hard for me to believe her character would be able to come up with the plan in the last ep all by herself.  

It was really nice to see the old characters again.  I like how the people that serve WYL are so loyal to her.

• 1 month later...

I am hoping they can do a sequel on the 10 years qe missed on Story of Yanxi Palace. It just went from WY saying she is pregnant to 10 years later. I would like to see what happened in those 10 years. How the king treated her when she got pregnant with all her kids and gave birth to the 2 princes. How the other Prince died also see when 7th princess was kidnapped all that. I really hope we can get that. But enjoyed both dramas released from this series

• 2 months later...

we started watching it on Netflix, but could not really get into it, she seemed like a spoiled princess... we were not really captivated by her or her story.  However, we were actually looking for Yanxi Palace. Now we have found it, we're watching it, and enjoying it. When over, we may return to this and see whether, with a different perspective, we will get into it.  

Archived