[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

curious about this drama only for ajusshi son hyun joo -- have seen him in so many different types of dramas (melos, comedy weekend) and he is always good at bringing a kind of earthy earnest normal appeal to his roles. love it! only worry that since this is a cable drama, it will be really dark - bad lighting as well as very depressing theme that will weigh your heart. :( however, if it is like tunnel which was a good mix, then it might be fun to watch. fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Really excited to watch this. I love Son Hyun Joo.. and I've seen the other 3 guys as well (one in Familiar Wife, one in Stove League and one in Team Bulldog yayyy). Not familiar with Lee Elijah though. 

So at first I thought this would be a light-hearted type of procedural drama but it looks like it's going to be a dark one :wacko: Well, but I'm still gonna give it a go because of the stellar casts and I hope they show some good story lines and cases. 

See you all soon :)

Hi @celebrianna , since TMB is finishing next week and it looks like you enjoy detective drama, will you be watching this one too? 

@snowlou, all I need to know is that it’s a detective show and I come running. It’s my favorite genre in books and tv shows even when I was a teenager. :sweatingbullets: I’m looking forward to this show. Regarding Lee Elijah, she was in Miss. Hammurabi. It was a legal drama, a genre I also very much enjoy. She was also in The Last Empress. 

• Like 5

Yay @taeunfighting @Lmangla @snowlou @celebrianna ....I am looking for a good police procedural.  I think Lee Elijah would be perfect for this role ..she's a favourite with JTBC. She was in both seasons of Chief of Staff and she was a reporter who became the political secretary/chief of staff for Lee Jung Jae's character.  She's a versatile actress who can play good and villain characters. 

From the synopsis, the one thing I am particularly looking forward to is the relationship between SHJ's and JSJ's character. The former , though more senior in terms of years of service reports to JSJ's character . I am sure there will be a lot of "bickering'' between the two since they have different approaches to solving cases. 

Still cuts of Lee Elijah and Ji Seung Hyun

@triplem, I see the show Chief of Staff on Netflix all the time but I figured it’s about politics, which I don’t like, so I have never given it a try. :sweatingbullets: I do like Lee Elijah even when she was a villain in The Last Empress. I liked her even more in Miss Hammurabi because she portrayed a beautiful character whom people had a misconception about based on their own narrow minded view of her. The character was actually excellent at her job as the chief secretary to a judge. I’m excited to see her playing a character that is unlike the other two roles I have seen her act. This character is an “impulsive” reporter, according to the synopsis. 

Regarding the experienced “old school” detective versus the cool educated detective, it somewhat reminds me of Park Sung Woong’s character versus Jung Kyung Ho’s character in Life On Mars. :lol:

• Like 5

Hi @triplem, I think my ears perked as I was reading about the synopsis and characters. It seems like it will be very good police series all around. I like the casting as well. Each has played roles in dramas that I am very fond of. Lee Elijah was great in Chief of Staff and seems fitting for this role as well. The only person I am not familiar with is Jang Seung Jo, but looking forward to get to know him. His character profile and dynamics with Son Hyun Joo sounds very interesting. I think their gap in age and experience could play a good balance in their teamwork.

@Lmangla @snowlou I really like Son Hyun Joo as well. I last saw him in Itaewon Class. He had a short role, but he was such an inspiration to the story. And, thanks Lmangla for mentioning Tunnel. It is one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Yay @celebrianna it's good to have you around :) 3 threads so far with you and this will be our 4th! 

I'm familiar with @triplem and @Lmangla so..hi to @taeunfighting :) (looking forward to making your acquaintance).

I really hope the director and writer wont' screw the drama.. I for some reasons expect the drama to be at least 'good' with Son Hyun Joo as main lead.

So Son Hyun Joo, although he's more experienced, actually has to answer to/listen to the direction given by the younger detective is that right? Since he's higher in rank? And we also have two reporters (lee Elijah and oh jung se). Then what will Ji Seung Hyun role be? Lee Elijah is very young..and if this were a romance drama..I probably wouldn't watch it if the female lead is too young (coz she would just remind me of how old I am :joy:) but since this is procedural and some of you here mentioned she's a great actress then I'm in! 

I also wish the 5 of them are the good guys but it looks like Oh Jung Se and Ji Seung Hyun might be at least the grey-area characters. around 2 more weeks to go!

@snowlou Hello~ :) I'm looking forward to it too.

I read the same that Jang Seung Jo's character ranks higher than Son Hyun Joo. Also, both seem to have different approaches/styles of investigating. Personality-wise, Jang Seung Jo guards his feelings/emotions due to some kind of childhood trauma. Son Hyun Joo has a tough exterior, but is supposedly a friendly "ahjussi". They should make an interesting combo. From what I can tell, Lee Elijah will be a strong-willed reporter so I think she may play an important part in trying to reveal the truth about the crimes.

The articles I read did not say much about Oh Jung Se and Ji Seung Hyun's characters so they're a bit of a mystery. I think you're right though that they'll likely be grey, if not maybe baddies.

I had only learned about this drama yesterday so I'm excited that it will be airing in two weeks. B)

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective, 모범형사 - Mon & Tue @ 21:30 KST - Premieres on July 6th

My soompier friends, don't you agree.. Jan Seung Jo.. even though he's almost 40 he has this baby face  type? I first watch him in Money Flower and he was alreay lates 30's.  And Lee Elijah. after watching her in Chief of staff.. I was wishing she'd get another drama and gets to play main female lead, well, thank you drama gods! And Son Hyun Joo oh I like too much. I've seen every single drama he's been since Signal. He's top caliber actor like Park Sung Woong.. whom I also like.   And yeah Oh Jung Se too... he's always been cast in good dramas an good actor too.

I've no doubt I'll get good acting from these actors.. plus looking at the trailer....liking the thrill and action. Lets all watch this. I'm excited!

Edit: adding this long trailer via JTBC twitter

The main cast

credit@

• Like 5

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/06/upcoming-drama-character-guide-to-criminal-investigation-drama-the-good-detective/

[Upcoming Drama] Character Guide to Criminal Investigation Drama ‘The Good Detective’

by krishkim | images: JTBC

93A73C76-FFC7-4B30-9CA2-2372706666D8.jpg

The Good Detective, which had once postponed its premiere date, will officially begin its journey today (July 6).

A joint project of producer Cho Nam Guk and writer Choi Jin Won, who have already showed off their chemistry in Untouchable, JTBC’s new drama The Good Detective depicts the satisfying investigation of the two opposite detectives digging into the truth of a past case.

Son Hyun Joo – Kang Do Chang (detective of the Incheon Seobu Police Station’s Violent Crime Unit 2)

1DDC87F6-EF38-4843-A3CF-40BBF4843967.jpg

He has worked as a detective for the past 18 years. He might not have the best investigative skills, but he is armed with sincerity and loyalty. Ahead of the death penalty of Lee Dae Chul, who he arrested five years ago for murdering a college student and the detective in charge, new evidence surfaces, putting him in shock. If Lee Dae Chul is innocent, not only he, but also his colleagues, prosecutors, and judges can’t dodge the responsibilities. However, as a detective, he follows his gut to track down the truth of the case.

Jang Seung Jo – Oh Ji Hyuk (detective of the Incheon Seobu Police Station’s Violent Crime Unit 2)

B95AF3F8-EC59-4264-B94B-3C40949C3462.jpg

He is an elite detective and a graduate of the police academy, who is returning to the force after serving eight years at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency’s regional investigation unit and a one-year leave of absence. Though not humane, he catches criminals with his keen ability to catch details in the crime scenes and insight into the criminal’s psychology. After meeting Kang Do Chan. who appeals to emotions rather than reasons, and his team as his partners, he digs into the hidden truth of the case of Lee Dae Chul, who is currently on a death row. But in the process, as evidences that are connected to his deprived childhood come up, he gets deeply involved in the case.

Lee Elijah – Jin Seo Kyung (a local news journalist)

Spoiler

78407C35-307D-4A96-A415-03812ACA0314.jpg

She has a sense of duty as a journalist who can help people who are under false charges. The words of prosecutor Kim Ki Tae, who even made an arrest after covering the case alone, shake up journalist Jin Seo Kyung. She uses the journalist’s gut to dig up the case, but the informant is found dead, and the case falls into a mystery. But this time, she is not alone. She joins hands with detectives Kang Do Chang and Oh Ji Hyuk to chase the truth.

Oh Jung Se – Oh Jong Tae (the head of Incheon Real Estate Trust)

Spoiler

279EBFEF-0DCD-4AC4-99C7-3E47F8C78B7D.jpg

He is Oh Ji Hyuk’s cousin and an arrogant person who inherited a substantial legacy and enjoys the power he holds. When Oh Ji Hyuk, who became a detective, tracks down a 5-year-old murder case, he uses his money to erase the truth one after another.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, celebrianna said:

@brooksmom, I looked under Netflix “Coming Soon” and I couldn’t find this drama. Did you see it under Netflix USA or an international Netflix service?

I got a Netflix alert on my phone that three kdramas were coming to Netflix this month. Good Detectives was one of them. I'm in usa. As of this hour, I don't see it anywhere. I will keep looking. On my side, I've never seen kdramas on the "coming soon" list, even though, they do come. As I see on @triplem post, it airs on July 7th. Don't know if time difference makes a difference. It's about 11:27pm Jul6 in Korea at this moment

Now I'm wondering. I hate to give out bad information. I just saw teasers on OnDemandKorea. If it's on Netflix, it's on nobody elses site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

I got a Netflix alert on my phone that three kdramas were coming to Netflix this month. Good Detectives was one of them. I'm in usa. As of this hour, I don't see it anywhere. I will keep looking. On my side, I've never seen kdramas on the "coming soon" list, even though, they do come. As I see on @triplem post, it airs on July 7th. Don't know if time difference makes a difference. It's about 11:27pm Jul6 in Korea at this moment

Thanks for the information. Netflix added a Coming Soon section for several months now. It's how I found out about several Kdrama that aired there while currently running in Korea. It's on the mobile phone App as well as the Roku App. I've never seen it on my iPad app though. Usually when there's a show in the Coming Soon, I can click on a bell that says "Remind Me" and it will alert me when the first episode is posted for that new show. I'll keep looking out for this one. Hopefully they will release the episodes according as they air in SK. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brooksmom said:

I got a Netflix alert on my phone that three kdramas were coming to Netflix this month. Good Detectives was one of them. I'm in usa. As of this hour, I don't see it anywhere.

I'm onboard for this drama, too.  :)   And I was also just checking Netflix but saw nothing on the latest page and didn't get a productive response to a title search.  <_<  

• Like 3

https://www.ondemandkorea.com/the-good-detective-e01.html  Episode 1 raw out     Not netflix?

@thistle @celebrianna @Edgar Pordwed @joccu@taeunfighting @snowlou @Lmangla @triplem So sorry:(

The above posters that reacted to my it's on Netflix post. Where I did find it, they only do raw. On occasions they will translate. Maybe they will but right now it's out as raw. Since it definitely is out somewhere else, it's not on Netflix. Edgar Pordwed didn't react to my post but that's ok, just shooting you an fyi 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1