[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

preview of ep 15

Ep 14 from clips from JTBC for today's episode (more under spoilers)

Spoiler

@40somethingahjumma  Always great seeing your posts, I 100% agree with your comments and post. This is a gem of a drama and I am glad I went back to finish ep 1 to then marathon to catch up last week. I agree it is like a onion with so many layers and not as simple as we first think. Everyone has a vested interest in certain outcomes for their own agendas. Lee Dae Chul (I definitely felt horrible for such an lovely man who loved his daughter) to have to suffer and die that way due ot others agendas.

Yes, the bromance between Dong Chan and Ji Hyuk is jjang! I agree I like their digs and deep affection. Like the last episode, when JH was teasing about where he should make a donation (as he paid alot in taxes etc). DC just smiling and joking yes money (talks) and a worthy charity is right here. LOL

Or the fact when Reporter Seo Kyung called for a favor and Dong Chan rightfully interrogated him why and what? So when Ji Hyuk kept quiet his teasing him---what is your relationship? Detective /reporter? Man/Woman? Just darn cute you two!

Wow learning about the lackkey for Oh Jong Tae now in jail that his brother was killed and masqueraded as a priest. Dang.  Not surprised on the plot twist on the Editor and his sister and finding out about a crooked cop being killed (not or yes) by him as revenge for his sister. Def feels like when we got introduced to the suicide story line-it had to be in this case more deep shame than anything for her to do that, still not right but horrible.

Glad DC told his sister how he felt that EH is saving him now and not the other way around. Wow sad that her epilepsy is so severe that she could lose her sight if she doesn't control the stress and future seizures. Wow.  I am glad she has DC by her side. I understand the sis concern but I wonder what she is doing during the days while her brother works. I did like how she reminded him of his nephew so he went to see him. Then when he told him how tough his mom is and his from a background of a skilled athlete. It was cute but definitely good she called him on it. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

ep 13 was good; just like @40somethingahjumma and @Nodame, the banter and good nature of our two detectives keep the show on a good feel. rather than depressed, we feel optimistic that things can turn around even if it is slowly. even other detectives like the snitch for detective nam is realizing that this isn't some vendetta and ajusshi detective is getting to the bottom. wasn't sure what to make of yang mi's sudden turn -- like ajusshi detective, am wondering what she is up to? what was with that grin when she spoke to chief moon? had a laugh when chief moon says that they are small department that hunts fishes but since there is a whale in their sea, they might as well catch -- even if the nets break. but it looks like chief moon is leaving, so what does that mean for our detectives? and with jung tae with some tricks up his sleeve, will it matter that he got arrested? waiting to ep 14 subs!

• Like 5

@Lmangla "had a laugh when chief moon says that they are small department that hunts fishes but since there is a whale in their sea, they might as well catch -- even if the nets break."

I too was  amused at the metaphor Chief Moon used. Catching a big fish like the editor is like catching a whale.

• Like 3

@40somethingahjumma Thanks for sharing your post. I had paused at episode 8 mostly because of time and partly because I had a bit of hard time processing LDC’s wrongful death and the rationale behind withholding of the recording. I have caught up to the middle of episode 12 as of last night and agree with you that it is an excellent show and hopefully can be appreciated by the audience. If I think about it realistically (especially with what is currently going on in my country), it is unfortunately true that investigations do get mishandled – unintended or intended. So, I do appreciate that the writer chose the route to portray a story in which the police and prosecution process continues to be imperfect mid-way. If he can relay the emotions of injustice and the unfair ramifications it has at the cost of people’s lives/livelihoods from the characters to viewers, I think he has succeeded in his work.

One of the reasons that kept me going with the show was an exchange between KDC and Chief Moon. Chief Moon told KDC that their efforts will not bring LDC back to life; however, KDC clarified to him that LDC may be dead, but we still need to comfort his soul. Rather than comply and continue to cover mistakes, I respect the “good detectives” for acknowledging them and not choosing silence. Their tactics may not be black and white or pure, but I think it’s because going by the books obviously isn’t working so they have no choice, but to come up with unconventional ways to get over the hurdles that are put up by the various individuals including those from their own organization.

I too like the story’s portrayal of the relationships between the characters and units. From KDC x OJH, division 2, LDC x LEH, LDC x KDC and KDC x LEH (plus KDC’s sister). In moments of despair, glimmers of hope seem possible through these bonds formed between humans.

- - - - - - - -

Since I am at episode 12, I wanted to mention the bloody fight between OJH and OJT. It was pretty violent, but through that, I thought it did the job in showing OJH’s perseverance and determination to punish his cousin and the rest of the culprits. I hope that he and his team will prove that those who think it is easy to get away with everything needs to understand the essence of remorse and that people’s lives should not be pawns used by individuals to achieve their personal agendas and for organizations to leverage power over one another. I thought the meeting of the police, prosecution and special guest, YJS, presided by the minister of justice was both interesting and disturbing. It reminded me a little bit of an underground/secret society.

Overall, I agree with everyone that the show has done a great job mixing in humor and hints of b/romance in what could have been a pure procedural detective show. I am enjoying the chuckles and heart-eyes that I am getting from it.

• Like 3

Can you believe it! There's only two eps left.

For  all of those who are still here and those who are on Stealth mode. Did we get our answers to the questions presented to us from @snowlou poll.

1. Who killed Yoon Ji Sun?

2. Who killed Detective Jang?

3. Who killed Detective Oh's father?

4. If you think there is ONE big mastermind behind this, who is it?

• Like 2

well ep 14 was certainly interesting and surprising in bits. were chingus surprised that editor said out loud that he killed someone? found the scene between the editor and the minister brother really striking; as a brother, the minister understands what the editor may or may  not have done and is totally wiling to show support -- whether it is to bury the case or help him face the charges. yet the editor declines on both and tells him to go on his own. so did the editor also kill detective jang?

after disliking yang mi from the beginning, it felt like a whiplash to see this other helpful side; it was a bit hard keeping up with her complicated game. so basically she decides to take revenge on her department for making her do the dirty work and so gets back at them by leaking the video, telling the reporter how to put pressure, removing chief moon so that her department will end up getting blamed. so does that chief moon can come back later?

• Like 4

@Lmangla  The editor owned up to murdering one person and he added that was with good reason; to avenge what he did to his sister.  The person who killed Ji Sun was OJT. The person who killed Detective Jang was Detective Nam because Detective Jang was going to turn him in. Now OJT might kill Detective Nam.  Who killed Detective Oh's father? Mastermind?

• Like 3

@brooksmom Oh I think you meant Oh Jong Tae (OJT) not Oh Ji Hyuk (OJH) our detective partners with Detective Dong Chan as the killer of the college student/ artist Ji Sun. I concur that Detective Jang was killed by Detective Nam (as he found him suspicious). The editor killing to corrupt cop that raped and assaulted his sister /Nuna (yeah no pity for that guy).

Hmm I wonder who killed Detective Oh Ji Hyuk's dad ? I have no clue.

@Lmangla Good post.  I was not sure what to make of Yang Mi initially I did not love her but def did not hate on her. I was thinking she must have her reasons. She is a PAWN and she uses her brain power. She lacks in brawn but makes up with brains. So her supporting DC now and he was apologizing to her to remain on her good side when he realized she leaked the info to FRAME her boss (after they first took out Chief Moon) so the Audit Team would take the fall. Genius.

The brothers complex relationship with the Minister of Justice willing to be a good hyung to protect his dongseng but the Editor dongseng wanting power and not satisfied with his lot in life at the moment.  Both men united by blood but have different agendas. (Then again Hyung kept not wanting dongseng to get into politics or get more power. He def knows his dongseng is not always the greatest team player)

@taeunfighting Great post! I was not loving Chief Moon BUT after DC got him scared and got him on his side. No one is 100% clean or not corrupt. There are shades of gray for sure. When Chief Moon treated DC and his boss to a nice meal. Awww. I like that this drama doesn't paint anything fully black and white. Life is true that way.  Mulitilayered and complex. So I agree some truths revealed cannot change some things but can change perception or free the survivors---ie finding the REAL killler and exonerate LDC. So DC can be freed from his guilt making an innocent man die , having his daughter left all alone in this world.

Agreed that bloody fight amongs the cousins was very symbolic between Jin Hyuk and Jong Tae. JH is sick and tired of his bully hyung/cousin who gets of scott free and being a bully. Even as a cop he couldn't touch him initially. But as he worked in the police force in Incheon and  has a great partner in Dong Chan , I am glad their bromance and chemistry and sense of justice are united.

Initally DC wanted nothing to do with JH and thought he would leave quickly and quietly. But as time goes on, their banter and teasing. Like last night's episode, JH was like who is the rich person you are talking about? You don't know anyone in your family who is rich. LOL when DC acted cute and called JH hyung. Yup JH can be hyung if he is DC's sugar daddy. LOL oh these two.

Jang Mi and Dong Chan, when is revealed she worked for Audit and had drinks DC to maintain their friendship. But then he was willing to not reveal her losing the weapon in court (he lied) to only have her lie and make DC look ridiculous?! Yeah DC def lost respect for her. She thought she could clear the road to power/prestige but in the end got stalled. So I found it very satisfying for her revenge to her boss to repeat what he said to her about taking the fall. (She admits she is not perfect and has her agendas. She is right knowledge is power and the TIMING to use it) How she handed evidence the video to DC saying I had this and he worried about warrants. She filled in there were appropriate warrants just they held onto this info this long. 

Eun Hye and Eun Hee getting closer this past episode was sweet. I liked that EH went for DC sis to see her son. I think the women got closer warmed my heart. How Eun Hye felt bad Eun Hee as cleaning after just recovering from the shock.  I was glad we saw EH's son. I love him. Him needing to say he has to be patient, def shows Eun Hee a lovely and mature son that Eun Hye has. The crying Eun Hye when she found out her son was taking Judo and wanted to be like mom. (Awww DC you did your job) I totally teared up. 

Loved how Eun Hee supported Eun Hye stopping her drinking and when DC was digging into her, he got blasted for not being supportive. Go women power! (Bad habits to say things that are inane but they are very hurtful still.)  Good job Eun Hee for calling out DC. I loved how Eun Hye said say it here as we are family. Awww "family" as that word held in the air. Eun Hee tearing up and everyone else (OMG I totally was and loving it). I loved how Eun Hye reminded him you are going to take care of her so she lives with us that makes us family.

(Eun Hye and Eun Hee have come a long way and so HAPPY. ) Glad to see Eun Hee's artistic skills too. Aww. Her helping DC's sis to see her son and then stalling her ex hubby so she could escape was sweet. 

JM and the reporter getting along well and undestanding each other. Their burgeoning dongseng /unni relationship is cute. The two main females here in this story to have something together was nice.

Jang Mi telling DC to keep going and moving forward. DC reminded her to say things simply as he is not a bright man and why be so complicated and complicated on what you want to say. LOL. I like how he was honest and straightforward.

The gang banger at the police station knowing they were fake trying to intimidate him . His constant posturing of a powerful person behind him---OJT or the Minister of Justice?! Well when DC got the bright idea of all his colleagues to intimidate the gang banger was awesome. Cute how Group 1 wanted to be introduced to him too.  YES go DC!

Oh JH and the reporter, they are cute. 

Dang about the editor declaring he killed someone. (Totally threw to left field on that admission).

OJT getting out and JH and DC tryikng to get him to announce he killed JS but he cannot be sentenced on that crime though he is the real killer. They only can get him on the case with the dead cop. Sigh.

Looking forward to tonight to watch the latest episode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@tulip06 I am not 100% clear either but Sang Mi used her brains to put her boss in a difficult position. He humiliated her and asked her to lie at the trial to betray DC. So she did it to be promoted. When following up on the promise not only was she NOT promoted she was asked to take the fall if anything bad happened.

So her boss gave her permission to do this Auditing case. He needs something big to get recognized . She dangled her ideas to her boss who himself wants to advance. He gave her special permission . She got Chief Moon out (DC protective shield). Then deliberately leaked the video (old) proving the evidence they needed. So everyone knows someone in the Auditing team did the leak to the media. The Minister of Justice Secretary was connected. You are getting the domino effect and that’s a high up person. Why DC apologized to her if he ever offended her , he apologized in advance. As she told him timing is everything and having information IS powerful too.

So now Sang Mi higher ups giving her boss trouble about the leak . ( the reporter called the leak as revenge and she admitted it) He was told take the fall . Sang Mi merely repeated the same thing to him as he said to her. 

(what I gathered and please correct me if I am wrong.)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

I'm glad to see that there are still some watching this underrated drama. @taeunfighting @Nodame @Lmangla Thanks for referencing me.

It's true that episode 8 was pretty hard to take. Incredibly depressing but the show has gone from strength to strength. The approach did surprise me initially. I really believed that they would save Lee Dae-chul from execution but the drama was taking a different route about moral dilemmas faced by key individuals in this this story. In the end the focus was really about Kang Do-chang's journey to find his humanity and his inner cop. To battle his "demons" as it were -- to play it safe, to opt for expediency or to do what's harder and ease his own conscience.

@Lmangla Yoon Sang-mi's turn around has been interesting. It isn't that she was necessarily a good or bad person in some simplistic fashion. But she was trying to play the game and survive it as best as she could. Watching DC struggle along, stumbling and then picking himself up, she's been moved to help him. It could be that she admires him for taking a stand even if as a pragmatist she might have thought he was rushing in where angels fear to tread. Like most other people she probably thought the system was the issue and that there was no fighting that when in actual fact the system is made up of people. The system isn't some almighty dragon that can't be overcome if individuals in the system are willing to do take up the fight. She's an example of someone who is looking for the right kind of leadership in order to feel confident to do the right thing.

I love that the wry humour is underscored by a reluctance to admit to any kind of altruism. There's no hubris. One of the things I like about this show is that the people in this show don't pretend to any kind of heroism or victimhood. Doing the right thing doesn't come easily to anyone. They know they're flawed human beings who wrestle with doing good. Some are wounded warriors. Some of them get there kicking and screaming. But the main thing at least for the parameters of this show is that they get there eventually.

At the heart of this drama is a show about what it means to be human. 

I've written a couple of posts re: justice and family as it relates to this drama:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

@40somethingahjumma I too was really surprised that LDC couldn't be saved and was executed. At that point, I questioned where the story was going, but I would only know if I continued with it. I am not quite caught up yet. Still need to watch episode 14, but I think you're right that the focus of the story is about KDC's journey. From the beginning of the show until now, there is a big difference (and growth) in his outlook as a detective and human being. I love the part in episode 13 where his sister questioned him whether all the efforts for LEH were worth it. He responded that 1) he promised LDC that he will walk her down the aisle when she gets married, 2) he made her father die and 3) that he's not taking care of her, but that she is taking care of him. I thought that was a pretty powerful scene.

Episode 8 was indeed tough to take in. I remember in LDC's final walk, he was able to see KDC and LEH one last time through the window. They were holding hands. At the very least, he knew that KDC would take care of his daughter. So, it's been comforting to see the formation of KDC and LEH''s father/daughter-like relationship develop in the subsequent episodes. KDC providing LEH a "home", supporting her with art school and illness have all been very touching points in the show.

Thanks for mentioning your blog posts.  Once I am fully caught up to episode 14, I will definitely check them out.

• Like 5

I finally watched this weeks episodes.

we now know that editor killed  at least one person. well he said it. It still haven´t proved.

But what i was thinking that could he also killed detective Jang? Kang looks the most suspicious for killing his partner.  he did dug his body up and stapped with the same knife that OJT killed Ji SUn.  But he looked somehow perplexed? I don´t know maybe I am´ reading the scenes too much.

What does the editor want?

• Like 3

Clips from today's episode. I am at work and waiting for Lunch time here on USA East Coast time.

Enjoy!

Spoiler

here is a making clip

Finale preview ep 16

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was wrong again of who killed Detective Jang. If he was going to frame someone for his own death, what about those car cameras. How and when were they taken out. Was it a requirement for the meeting. I'm being vague here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

• Like 3

I really like this show!! From the moment I started watching, I was enthralled by the plot and the characters! I really hope there is a second season!

Today's episode was spectacular! A lot of things are coming together.  However, I do not like Yoon Sang-Mi. She is not remorseful enough for me. I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But she stated that she would not change what she did! None of the bad characters wanted to admit their wrongs really.  But if something I said or did caused someone to die, I would repent and be remorseful and if I got a second chance to make it right, I would! 

Nonetheless, great drama!

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Ep.15

I suppose this episode was meant to be Yoo Jeong-seok's last bid for atonement for his many sins especially those in relation to Lee Dae-chul. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've always understood him to be a gray character, not an outright villain but I'm wondering if the show hasn't cut him too much slack considering what he's been responsible for. I don't know if I like the idea that he gets to choose the terms of his own exit but perhaps this is the show's way of proving that he wasn't beyond redemption. He acknowledged his role in Lee Dae-chul's death and paid his respects to the dead man. Even if his attack of Jo Seung-gi due to a burst of rage at the man's unrepentant spirit was understandable I wrestle with the fact that he killed two others to cover-up his misdeeds. It rankles that he used his knowledge from his time working the police beat to get away with murder for a time. Even if he wasn't a "bad" man as Jin Seo-gyeong asserts, he did some terrible things. So then what constitutes a bad man? Then there's the fact that he went to confront Jo Seung-gi, the man who raped his sister and drove her to her death, on his own. It was hubris on his part thinking that he could deal with the situation rationally considering his personal stake in the matter. That's what the police is for, whatever their faults may be. 

However, I don't doubt that this is what the show wants us to grapple with. It is hard to do the right thing. It is much harder to do the right thing than we think. Telling lies, prevaricating, cover up... sadly... seems to be the default position. It is so easy to rationalize one's position once the conscience is suppressed. Monsters aren't made in a day. Little things snowball and before one realises everything is out of control. While I can't in all honesty feel a great deal of sympathy for Yoo Jeong-seok because he deprived two children of their fathers, I am well aware that I'm asked to understand the circumstances that motivated the original crime. I also believe that his final strategy was also about protecting the newspaper and the integrity of the staff, especially Jin Seo-gyeong who had been digging into the story and was somewhat resentful at being used as political football.

There is little doubt that the truth is much more complex than first meets the eye. It's tempting to have a kindergarten view of people although clearly evil does exist. However, when one is morally compromised it gives oxygen to those who abuse their power. It isn't hard to see how that leads to the flouting of laws that are meant to be in the service of the greater good. The problem with corrupt practices even if it seems harmless at a time is that it never stops there. A few bucks here and the turning of a blind eye there always leads to a dare to go further. What's more, if found out it leaves one vulnerable to unscrupulous leveraging and manipulation.

As we can see from Jin Seo-gyeong's dilemma, the truth is not necessarily her priority despite her journalistic claims. Her conscience perhaps and her regard for Yoo Jeong-seok as mentor and role model can override any regard for the truth. Emotions... whether it be fear or pride...  can easily overwhelm our commitment to truth and justice. That's part of the human condition. That was also exemplified by Yoo Jeong-seok's outrage against Jo Seung-gi which led to irreversible violence and then to even more acts of violence. Note too that a colleague at the newspaper blames Jin Seo-gyeong for causing trouble. She blames herself for uncovering the truth. Despite the fact that Yoo Jeong-seok was responsible in some fashion for the deaths of 3 men, most people especially those around him would rather have not known the truth. The truth is too ugly... too unbelievable and earth shattering. It's too hard to handle. But the truth that underlies all others in this show is that anyone is capable of murder... given the right circumstances and opportunities.

Would Oh Ji-hyuk have pulled the trigger? Or was it just a colossal bluff that showed an understanding the kind of person Nam Guk Hyun is. Hard to say. He had just seen a man who was once accused of murdering his dad. Emotionally, he was shaken. But then OJH has largely been someone who is able to master his emotions when called to. But there's no doubt he made everyone on the scene very nervous.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Wow, episode 15 was indeed very good. I have to say that how the writer tied the mysteries to YJS' character arc was masterful. It seems no matter how hard to he tried to cover up the conspiracy, he knew deep down that he would eventually get caught and ironically, reveal the entire truth through the press. I can tell from his conversation with his colleagues and brother that he was preparing to make some kind of sacrifice, but still, I was blown away with what he did. Now it is down to the last episode to tie everything else together.

@brooksmom Good point about the car cameras. Since they were how YJS got caught by Nam, I would think that they would be explained in the situation with OJT. We shall see...I am curious too.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tarjig said:

I really like this show!! From the moment I started watching, I was enthralled by the plot and the characters! I really hope there is a second season!

Today's episode was spectacular! A lot of things are coming together.  However, I do not like Yoon Sang-Mi. She is not remorseful enough for me. I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. But she stated that she would not change what she did! None of the bad characters wanted to admit their wrongs really.  But if something I said or did caused someone to die, I would repent and be remorseful and if I got a second chance to make it right, I would! 

Nonetheless, great drama!

I agree.

They both acknowledge that what they did is wrong, but at least Jin Seo-Gyeong is shown to have some genuine struggle about her decision. Yoon Sang-Mi's struggle is superficial. And she's only really challenging the organization because she got screwed over. And it's these little compromises that fuel injustice - not just the Big Bad Powerful people like Jong-Tae - they would not be able to play the system if people wouldn't make these devil's bargains to help them get away with it.

Also kind of got whiplash about the Captain. He was very recently burying all his ill-gotten gains in the ground, but with one speech from Kang Do-Cheol, now he's all about justice and fairness. Ah, you guys. Let's find your conscience before someone is unfairly executed.

(Also, yes, great drama! I'm sad it's over.)

• Like 4

This week episodes reveal the truth. Although I was surprised that det.Nam has the video from the car blackbox. I thought YJS already got it after he killed the men. YJS decision to make a trap for OJT, he really steals last night episode! I like how the writer makes the plot and puzzle here.

• Like 3