[Drama 2022] Exemplary Detective/The Good Detective 2, 모범형사

0ly40

For some reason KDC's sister rubs me up the wrong way. I hope that there's some justification for the way she's acting the way she does but at this point in time, I can see why she's incapable of having custody of her son. Most people act according to self-interest but for her, there's something else going on there. Maybe it's the sense of entitlement  that's demonstrated as she rages against the universe or maybe it's the fact that she undermines her own interests at every turn. Or perhaps it's the bald selfishness.

That said, I really like what the show is doing with this story. It's not your run-of-the-mill police procedural or corruption narrative. This is really a show about what makes people tick. What is it that drives them to act against their self-interest. Is it a personal trauma? Is it their conscience? Is it so they can sleep better at night? Is it their own sense of who they are in a larger narrative? Are they fighting for something bigger than themselves? The criminal element is just the context where these moral, ethical and personal interactions take place. What I've especially noticed with regards to Lee Eun-hye is how she's the biggest casualty in all of this. She has very little scope for personal agency in this. Her life has been so utterly destroyed... in part by what people did with her father and in part by subsequent bad choices made in desperation. I am very struck by her storyline and the emphasis on her relationship with the pimp. The corruption which involved this miscarriage of justice has led to all kinds of ramifications. I realise that the people involved in the original conspiracy don't care about the plebs as long as there are short-term benefits for the taking. But we all know that there are long-term human costs for society as a whole. Increased criminal activity at the grassroot level would  be one instance of it. It also shows how important the family is. The breakdown of the family brings with it all kinds of ongoing baggage that the community has to pick up the pieces for.

There's a surprising amount gallows humour. The scheming by the "good guys" to get the retrial off the ground for instance.  And KDC and OJH as they banter about the bleak future awaiting them.  I find myself laughing more than I thought I would at the antics of KDC and OJH as they dodge bullets and scrutiny. The whole exercise in investigating JDP as subterfuge was quite funny. Like watching a heist film almost. Of course it is frustrating that they have to circumvent the official procedures to save an innocent man but at least they're playing it smart and it shows their determination to get it right this time in spite of the obstacles.

I was also quite surprised at how quickly Detective Kwon's arc was resolved. His morale was undoubtedly at a low point but it seemed that the team understood intuitively that an injection of some achievement was needed to push him out of his funk and cynical state of mind.

I should feel depressed about the rich and the powerful banding together and the abuse of power by public servants. But when there are people like the defence lawyer and KDC going above and beyond what is expected... it does make one somewhat hopeful.

As far as @snowlou's questions are concerned... I would probably agree with most...

Questions:

1. Who killed Yoon Ji Sun?

2. Who killed Detective Jang?

3. Who killed Detective Oh's father?

4. If you think there is ONE big mastermind behind this, who is it?

My Answers:

1. OJT most probably. It was probably unintentional.

2. Most likely Chief Nam.

3. I would say OJT and/or his uncle...

4. The president or someone hitherto not known to us

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's say I agree to the answers to #1,2,4. that @40somethingahjumma  gave.

Number one could explain why OJT is talking to the editor and his brother. OJT did them a favor  and in turn they did him a favor by covering it up. Look at relationship chart on page one of this thread. There is a connection between the editor and the prosecutor Kim KI Tae who is in prison now. 

Number two  -  Nam was having an affair with  Detective Jang's wife.  Not the same topic but how is Nam related to one of the detectives in group 1. See relationship chart.

Number four  -  In the relationship chart he/she is above the prosecutor Kim Ki Tae,  the editor and his brother the politician.  And OJT. But is OJT aware of it. In the next ep, there might be a change in plans.  The photo in the chart is blank but I can't read the words under it.  

I'm still thinking about who killed Detective Oh's father.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A few more additional thoughts:

I feel like I should have become like those detectives in the drama, put all characters on a white board and draw lines here and there to help me remember who is connected to who and how. We were fed more and more information and we could see that most of the major characters are interrelated somehow. We were introduced to a few new characters the last 2 eps: the lawyer and yoon ji sun's boyfriend. 

I'm really glad the issue with det Kwon Jae Hong has been resolved and quickly at that too. I just want to enjoy the show without anymore attempts to break their team up. 

I love the chasing scene that I laughed so much. It's so funny and even though the end is a cliche but I still find it so satisfying. They only had two guys left (KJH and OJH) while the other police branch still had 6 or more guys left and still KJH and OJH 'won' at the end of the day! 

@joccu i have a feeling OJH's father's murder also ties in with all these cases we see in the current timeline. I think some of us must have already guessed the correct murderers. But I don't know and I can't wait to find out how it's all inter related..I think my mind will be blown away when I do!

@taeunfighting thank you :) I hope we can create many many wonderful events in the future! 

I will tag everyone who has participated when the poll 'closes' and we can see who got the most votes so far etc. Thank you for everyone who has so far put in their thoughts! 

laughed so much when they were all running around like rabbits to catch that gang member...

so the poll from @snowlou

Q1. who killed yoo ji sun?

the obvious answer seems to be watch detective's cousin but that seems too easy. so perhaps, he had something to do with it a little but the actual reason/person may be different. so the editor and his brother (future attorney general) met initially in the early episode at a cemetery type place and the urn had a picture of a young girl. perhaps their sister? or maybe someone romantic? so perhaps ji sun was tied to that girl who died in some way? so I will go with unknown

Q2. who killed detective jang?

that seems easy; detective nam and won't be surprise if the wife was involved too.

Q3. who killed detective Oh's father?

perhaps the cousin? there was 2 people -- one guy was holding down the dad while another stabbed. so what was the minion? perhaps lee dae chul is innocent of the murder of ji sun but actually involved as an accomplice with the cousin in this murder? 

Q4. mastermind?

it looks like multiple people colluding for their own personal reasons. perhaps, the mastermind would be the editor's brother? or the editor?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@triplem  I sure was shocked when soompi forums disappeared. Me, being the dramaqueen that I am, thought that it was a sign from God that I've been devoting to much time to my dramas during these times of binge tv watching. So that's where I have been. No, tv, no dramas. 

My daughter who works with helping business people put up their websites, is always telling me that the websites seem to always shutdown when there's updates, revisions to the website. She says it has to do with pluggins. ??? Beats me. I know nothing about that stuff.

I can't log in the old way. I have to go on the internet and search for Soompi sign in. So far it seems to be working. 

• LOL 3

Thank you everyone who participated in the KangOh Holmes poll part 1

@joccu @taeunfighting @40somethingahjumma @brooksmom @Lmangla 

Here's the summary of the poll (also available on the beneath the pinned post)

Who killed Yoon Ji Sun?

Oh Ji Tae (4 votes: joccu, taeunfighting, 40somethingahjumma, brooksmom)

Det Nam (1 vote: snowlou)

Who killed detective Jang?

Detective Nam (6 votes: Joccu, snowlou, taeunfighting, 40somethingahjumma, brooksmom, lmangla)

+ det Jang’s wife (2 votes: Joccu, lmangla)

+ chief (1 vote: taeunfighting)

Who killed detective Oh’s father?

Oh Ji Hyuk’s uncle/Oh Ji Tae’s father (2 votes: joccu, 40somethingahjumma)

Oh Ji Tae (2 votes: 40somethingahjumma, lmangla)

Detective Nam + Detective Jang (1 vote: snowlou)

Lee Dae Chul (1 vote: Lmangla)

Who is the mastermind?

Yoo Jung Ryul (3 votes: Joccu, snowlou, lmangla)

The person hasn't appeared yet (3 votes: taeunfighting, 40somethingahjumma, brooksmom)

President! (2 votes: 40somethingahjumma, brooksmom)

Kim Gi Tae (1 vote: Joccu)

Yoo Jung Seok (1 vote: lmangla)

The highlighted answers are the most popular answers. 

Let's see in a few weeks time whether our guesses have remained the same (if they still haven't revealed the criminal's by then!). 

@triplem Yey! Soompi's back. I thought my kdrama life was over when I saw "community forum" error :bawling:. For the themes, I check  all four  and 3 of them I can't post. Then tried I change to evolution mode 4.4  beta and i worked.  I recommened the theme.  Anyway  I got that out of the way. I'm happy soompier again.

@snowlou   Aww. I wasn't able to particiate in the poll , but it seems the primary suspect  is OJT,  the the type of character  we will will harm and murder. If one is ricch and in power  murder can  be arrange - the reality is. money buys,  and speaks . But I'm suspecting character who is supposed to be the next minister of Justice. But then he's got a sister who died.. maybe he's doing a revenge?

I haven't watched the latest episodes yest but read other posts. Thanks all. Gonna binge again 4 episodes this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi everyone... I hope I'm not treading on any toes here. But the forum seems to be rather unstable at the moment so I've done all my analysis of recent episodes on my blog considering my reputation for writing essays. ;) 

Go to the link in my signature if you're interested. 

Hope you''re all enjoying the drama. It's definitely going from strength to strength. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Dang they really have a mountain to climb. Everywhere you turn is corruption.

So glad he put hands on that little wannabe punk.  Now I just need them hands to slap up Nam just a wee bit, he always look like he's smirking. Anyhoos at least EH is safe for now. But she'll probably get kidnapped later by Mr Tattoo... Urgh

• Like 2

@tas82 ~ mr. tattoo weirdly enough seems like a nicer guy than the corrupt officers. maybe he is directly bad and not pretending?

it feels like the wife of detective jang who died is also not trustworthy. she is more worried about her pension than whether a man is innocent and thinks it is better for 'everyone' if everything stays the same. ummm, what? and she is totally in love with detective nam that she is listening to his instructions. who wants to bet that she will backstab watch detective and ajusshi detective? am still thinking detective jang's death will turn out to be a domestic squabble because of an affair....

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

I'm way behind on watching dramas (thanks CoVid) but I'm trying to keep up with this one.

One thing is freaking me out (*in a good way), and it's a great actor:  Oh Jung Se. 

He is simultaneously appearing as a very bad guy as Oh Jong Tae in Good Detective and as an autistic artist Moon Sang Tae on It's Okay Not to Be Okay.  The disconnect between the two characters is amazing.  He is completely believable in both roles.  Incredible.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it seemed worth saying in any case.

I still haven't figured out who did what and who killed who.  All I know is that there are a bunch of bad people pretending to be good and a bunch of good people who aren't quite what they seem.  Can't really trust anyone here.  If someone would just find the killer's watch, it would make all the difference.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Detective Jang seemed like a good cop. Why was he murdered? bc he  found the cctv or bc he found out that his partner took the watch from the crime scene?

about the white haired old police chief. does he really believe that LDC is a killer or did some powerful ask him to frame him.?

So many people knew about the cctv and still they didn¨t do anything. people who should protect the people are only harming the innocent. And the think about this is that it really happens in real life too. you should able to trust the police or the legal system.

• Like 6

So, I’m watching episode 7, and er, do the subbers know what a gang bang is in English? :joy:

Also, I have to say, while I am slowly savourimg this show, it is so good! Will come back with more thoughts, or will just read oall of yours, which are probably the same as mine, after I’m done.

• Like 2

I really like this drama, but I’m so angry at the turn of events, I’m at a loss for words.  How could they put an innocent man to death and leave his “sick“ child to survive on her own.  I sure hope things change for the good, and ALL the liars get what they deserve.  They are all guilty of murder

RANT OVER!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tulip06 said:

So, I’m watching episode 7, and er, do the subbers know what a gang bang is in English? :joy:

They are just using the older sense of the colloquiallism.  A gang-banger used to be anybody living the gang culture.  It is only more recently that it has come to have sexual references.

It's like in old books or movies when someone says, "he made love to me."  Nowadays, it means they engaged in sex but back then it just meant that he was flirting.  Language changes over time, and translations can't always keep up.

1 hour ago, calledtoteach said:

How could they put an innocent man to death and leave his “sick“ child to survive on her own.

I'm about to watch episode 8.  I'm glad to be prepared for this because I wasn't expecting it.  (I love spoilers! :) )  Oh my.  I really don't wanna see that poor guy killed.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, thistle said:

One thing is freaking me out (*in a good way), and it's a great actor:  Oh Jung Se. 

He is simultaneously appearing as a very bad guy as Oh Jong Tae in Good Detective and as an autistic artist Moon Sang Tae on It's Okay Not to Be Okay.  The disconnect between the two characters is amazing.  He is completely believable in both roles.  Incredible.

how is he doing two dramas at same time? is one or both of the dramas pre-produced? not live shoot?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

how is he doing two dramas at same time? is one or both of the dramas pre-produced? not live shoot?

Undoubtedly someone else knows better than I but I have to suspect that Good Detective is pre-produced.  Look at all the chilly scenes and the winter coats.  It sure would be hard to film that in July.  

In any case, he is listed as "main role" for both dramas:  Oh Jung Se

• Like 4