[Drama 2020] Hi bye, Mama!, 하이바이, 마마!

0ly40

Yeah they dropped most of the ghost stories earlier on. I don't care if that gets a resolution or not. It always felt like filler material anyway. And it probably was.. And at the end they realize they don't even have enough time for the main story.

And wow i legit completely forgot about the grim reaper. 

I guess there was a lot of scrambling in the writing room.

I think the drama would have landed a lot better with me if they just stuck with some common story ark's (I never thought i would say this someday)

• Like 4

Such a beautiful drama with a bittersweet ending. 

I kinda feel like the drama was rushed in the last episode. Everything moved almost too quickly, Yuri left too quickly :( . I wish there were more scenes. I am also upset that the epilogue only showed the backs of the characters. I want to see their faces.

I also want to share my view on the epilogue.

GH was able to return to MJ as a whole man after sending YR off. GH also was able to return to the operating room. He also learned to cherish every moment with his family. MJ says that GH ran to see the cherry blossoms with MJ and SW before they were gone. 

I can't stop crying. This drama just gave me depression.

Edited by Jack Green
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jack Green said:

. I am also upset that the epilogue only showed the backs of the characters. I want to see their faces.

I guess they wanted to give us the illusion that MJ and GH have grown older without having to age them. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@kboramint I agree, but at least give the viewers a happy image of their faces before closing it off :(. Give the viewers a happy moment. We have all been crying way too much.

I think GH loves both women. GH's love for YR was shown to be so extreme that when he lost her, he became totally broken. His love for MJ is cautious. He doesn't want to feel the same void that YR left him. GH is afraid that if he loved MJ the same way and lost her, he would feel that void again. That's why he always says thank you, I'm sorry, and it's alright in case she leaves him.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, triplem said:

That's true...I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I started this drama.  But even from the early episodes , I had a feeling it won't have a fairy tale ending because it always felt that YR's time here was to give everyone who loved her some closure and a chance to say goodbye. I was grateful that they did not make MJ a wicked step mum , but if anything this drama was a reminder how great a mother's love is whether she is your biological mum or not. 

I feel like what the drama presented as a epilogue in episode 15 was that fairy tale ending. In a alternative reality, Yuri never got into an accident and lived on with SW and GH. 

• Like 4

It’s not everyday that I get to be attached to a drama, only a few of it and Hi Bye Mama definitely is now a part of that few series. As much as I love this drama, I don’t think I would rewatch it again just because I would be reminded of the hurt and bittersweet of this drama, from the very first episode till the end I’ve been crying (that’s how much I’m invested to this) but I will certainly recommend this drama to others. All the cast is so precious, I love each and everyone of them. To everyone involved with this series, THANK YOU. Thank you for giving us such a wonderful drama.

And to everyone in this forum, thank you for sharing all your thoughts. It was a nice journey with all of you. :heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I loved this drama!!!!

9 hours ago, Jack Green said:

Um drama tão bonito com um final agridoce. 

Eu meio que sinto que o drama foi apressado no último episódio. Tudo se moveu quase rápido demais, Yuri saiu rápido demais :( . Eu gostaria que houvesse mais cenas. Também estou chateado que o epílogo só tenha mostrado as costas dos personagens. Eu quero ver seus rostos.

Eu também quero compartilhar minha opinião sobre o epílogo.

GH foi capaz de retornar a MJ como um homem inteiro depois de enviar YR. GH também foi capaz de retornar à sala de operações. Ele também aprendeu a valorizar cada momento com sua família. MJ diz que GH correu para ver as flores de cerejeira com MJ e SW antes que elas desaparecessem. 

Não consigo parar de chorar. Esse drama me deu depressão.

I believe that GH will never forget Yuri. After that game, he would no longer martyr himself. Follow a life without pending or resentment. He becomes a much more familiar person at the same time that I believe, all that 49-day intensity, spent or remains of his life thinking about Yuri but in a healthy way, just cultivating a longing.

I loved this drama becausa I'm feeling in this moment a sensitive person... thinking about the life and de death.

We need to value the life...

• Like 1

It's sad.... sadddd... but it's bittersweet. Goodbye will always be hard but to let go what we must let go is something that will make it much easier. Keeping only the good memories forever in our heart, then live the rest to the fullest without any regrets. Cha Yu Ri will be forever in the heart of her family and friends.

• Like 3

Goodbye to Hi Bye Mama. I sincerely thank everyone for sharing your thoughts and emotions. We all cried together and laughed together in each episode. This drama in particular is something that punctured my heart deeply. I sound like I am getting too overdramatic over a drama, but it's true. No other drama has made me cry as much as this one has. Hi Bye Mama was the reason I joined soompi forums. I wanted to be assured that I am not the only one suffering from a drama. I have been emotionally attached to every single character, and to think that this drama has finally ended has made me miserable. Even the ost soundtrack alone has made me cry. It is going to be hard to move on from this drama. 

Thank you again to everybody that shared this rollercoaster of emotions with me. 

• Like 2

Besides SW saying “Farewell, Mother” to YR, one of my favorite scenes in ep.16 is the conversation between YR and MJ at the hospital. How YR reassured MJ of GH’s love for her, thus encouraging and opening the way for their reconciliation. 

Netflix’s English translation: 

YR: I don’t know what GH said, but he didn’t mean it. That’s him feeling guilty towards me. Because he blamed himself for my death five years ago. He likes you a lot. Nobody else might notice, and even GH may not realize it himself, but I do. 

MJ: Don’t you hate me? Why don’t you hate me? If I were you, I’d hate me a lot. Why...

YR: I hurt GH and turned him into a thorny cactus. You’re holding him without knowing that you’re bleeding. Also, you’re SW’s favorite person in the world. I was so relieved. “Thank goodness, she’s SW’s mom.” That’s what I thought to myself every day. Why would I hate you?

I thought there are little stuff missed because of the translation. I am sharing the Chinese translation below because it is closer to Korean. 

YR: I don’t know what GH has said to you, but those are not words from the bottom of his heart. Instead, it originates from his guilt towards me. My death five years ago, he put all the blame on himself. He likes you a lot. Other people may not know it, he himself may not realize it, but I can see it well. 

MJ: (the same)

YR: I hurt GH so much and let him become a cactus. You extended your hands to embrace him, totally oblivious that you yourself are bleeding. Also, you’re SW’s most favorite person in the world. I felt unsurpassable relief. Thank goodness SW’s mother is this person. This is what I think of every day, why should I hate you? 

In the Korean, OMJ’s name is mentioned by YR when describing what she is for GH and SW. Having the effect of saying “The OMJ who embraced cactus GH although she is bleeding herself” “The OMJ who is SW’s favorite person”

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Satisfying ending!

At the start of the drama, we saw that Yuri died a tragic death and it changed the people around her. She was given a chance to properly say goodbye to her family and friends, and to spend time with her daughter. 

Everyone in this show did an act of selflessness, and no one was the villain her. The villain was the universe itself.

• Like 2

From the start I already had a hunch this kind of ending. MJ shows a great figure of stepmom for Seo Woo. She's really far from villai  stepmom. She prepares a lot to be a good mother for Seo Woo. From that time, I learn that the 49 days were given for Yu Ri and her beloved one to have proper goodbye.

• Like 2

they just uploaded this unreleased vid on their youtube. MDD told him that they should be friend/partner because he has good performance (about making ghosts reincarnate) but he lacks of emotion, while she is nice towards the ghosts but lacks of results, so they should come together to form a productive pair then he ran away hahaha

as some commented before, i also feel like the last episode was rushed. although it's 1h30m long, there's still unreleased/cut scenes like the clip above. remember when they had to postpone airing ep 13 and 14 one week for better production because of the pandemic? i think that is the reason why 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, gongcha said:

they just uploaded this unreleased vid on their youtube. MDD told him that they should be friend/partner because he has good performance (about making ghosts reincarnate) but he lacks of emotion, while she is nice towards the ghosts but lacks of results, so they should come together to form a productive pair then he ran away hahaha

as some commented before, i also feel like the last episode was rushed. although it's 1h30m long, there's still unreleased/cut scenes like the clip above. remember when they had to postpone airing ep 13 and 14 one week for better production because of the pandemic? i think that is the reason why 

Did they post this video so they can explain what happened to the Exorcist, since they couldn't in the last episode. No mention of what happened to him.  

• Like 1