[Drama 2020] Hi bye, Mama!, 하이바이, 마마!

0ly40

So curious how exactly the writer would make complete sense about peoples around Yuri 'healed' and 'moving on' if the ending really going that way

Cuz my limited imagination just can't figure it out

It's like saying to your loved ones "Hey, I'm gonna die (again) soon and you're going to be fine & happier than before" :persevere:

Seeing how much Kang-Hwa hurted, suffered from ptsd ~cmiiw~ not able to breathe and being that furious hearing that Yuri might die again (Even I'm so shocked Kang-Hwa acted like that, because he so quiet and always surpress his feeling the whole time. So it might because he just can't handle it again and then burst out like that) made me doubt that he will be alright after Yuri leave

And of course the equally hurted persons are her family especially momma Jeon whose always has a heartache whenever she sees crosswalk and her words "things will always be like that from now on, we will have happy moments like that everyday, Yuri" just so sad and how she's gonna endure losing her child for the second time :bawling:

LKH and KMK did such a great job, their raw emotion hit me right in the gut

• Sad 5

Every person will die eventually. The living needs to learn saying goodbyes to their loved ones because parting is inevitable. YR’s loved ones had difficulty moving on because they didn’t have a chance to say goodbye properly to her. Her death was too sudden and they could not come to terms with it. However, with YR coming back to life, they will now have a chance to say goodbye, thus healing can happen. 

Interesting turn of the plot but I wasn’t that surprised. I had kinda expected YR will at one point wants to continue living. I had also anticipated MJ will bow out of the marriage when she finds out. Will that be the direction of the story now? I am not too sure... because we still have two episodes, and the amusement park trip seems to me like a last wish of YR that she wants fulfilled. Btw, the Chinese title of this drama is translated (literally) Hello Bye-bye My Ghost Mother. 

I have also been wondering whether the actual reason for YR being allowed to come back is more for GH’s sake, for his healing, instead of for SW’s sake. That the rightful place that YR needs to find is actually being acknowledged  as a deceased person, especially by her mother, by GH, who have not gotten over her being dead.

I appreciate the complete reveal of what happened on the day YR died which resulted in GH’s guilt. No wonder he blamed himself so much for YR’s death. 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

I think YR would be the only one who can salvage GH and MJ’s marriage, if GH decided to let go his current marriage to save YR. I don’t think the meaning to take her place to live is to become like she used to be, and that was the assumption from the Shaman which could be wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Dundee said:

Eu acho que YR seria o único que pode salvar o casamento de GH e MJ, se GH decidisse deixar seu casamento atual para salvar YR. Não acho que o significado de tomar seu lugar para viver seja tornar-se como costumava ser, e essa era a suposição do xamã que poderia estar errada. 

I was thinking about YR becomes a "shaman". Sra Ming Dong growed a sweet feeling from YR on the drama. I think that MD would die to save YR and her daughter. MD didn't have a good relationship with her son and maybe she look the YR pain.

Maybe I'm speaking something crazy, but I can't imagine a real ending to this drama. rsrsrsrs

• Like 1

If the intent of the ending is to have YR die  but give closure for everyone,  wouldn't it be opposite for GH cause this time he could really change YR's fate?  If she dies and he had the power to actually change that and she died because he didn't give her place back as his wife,  wouldn't he really blame himself even more than the first time she died? He really couldn't do anything the first time she died but now he actually can. Knowing his character that could really drive him over with guilt. 

8 hours ago, Fabbo said:

Real mother? What are you even talking about?

Biological mother shows up after six years and wants her kid back. Okay...

And what exactly did YR do wrong that you don't think she's not deserving of being SW's mother.  Because she put her child's life before her own? You make it seem like being a mother to her biological child is wrong,  she was out of the picture because she died.  She didn't abandon her child. It would only be fair to allow them a mother and daughter relationship since it's possible. This doesn't mean it has to totally exclude MJ.

How would SW feel when she is an adult and found out that they didn't give her the opportunity to be with her biological mother? Wouldn't she feel cheated?!

• Like 1

She didn't do anything wrong but that doesn't make her the 'real mom'. It is not about deserving or anything. Of course she can have a relationship to the child. Just how any estranged parent can rebuild the relationship to his biological child. But she doesn't have any special rights (she doesn't even have a passport lol).

• Unamused 2
  • Awesome 1

16 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Anybody knows the rating for ep 14? 

Weekend drama ratings  4-12-2020

Once Again                                                        29.6%  

The World of the Married Couple             18.8%

Hi-bye, Mama!                                                   4.2%  

Rugal                                                                      2.8%

Eccentric! Chef Moon                                      0.6%

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lhynne said:

Weekend drama ratings  4-12-2020

Once Again                                                        29.6%  

The World of the Married Couple             18.8%

Hi-bye, Mama!                                                   4.2%  

Rugal                                                                      2.8%

Eccentric! Chef Moon                                      0.6%

Thank you @lhynne for the update. :)

It makes me wonder why Hi Bye Mama has low ratings in South Korea.

Here in the Philippines, it is currently 2nd Place of most watched series via NETFLIX. And I also joined the FB group of HBM which is open even for international fans. I took a photo of Netflix showing the the TOP 10 series in the Philippines to share to them that Hi Bye Mama is doing well in our country. In return, the fans from Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand.. they shared the screenshot/photo of  Hi Bye Mama’s ranking in their countries. Hi Bye Mama is currently holding the #1 spot in their country. Which means many fans love the series. It baffles me why in South Korea, it is less popular..:(

• Like 1

So... I'm really enjoying this series so far-- but it's likely the first where I'm not picturing what the ending MAY even look like. At first, I thought YR was going to come and make everyone happy and then leave to "go up", but then, YR started getting attached (emotionally) to her family and friends (I mean, obviously!). At first, I thought GH and MJ were happy so YR shouldn't break that up-- but now they're both drowning in misery. MJ is constantly crying, in belief that her husband is miserable, and that there's a barrier between the two of them, namely Cha Yu-ri. 

By that staircase scene alone, I think we can definitely tell that YR still means the world to GH. We can't make the blind assumption that YR means more to GH than MJ but it's apparent that GH still loves YR. Many times, he's held himself back from physically touching her (in fear that he may emotionally cling onto her again) but this time, flooded by emotions, GH holds onto YR. I don't think he's blaming YR for saving the baby rather than herself, but he's saying: "If I had a choice, you would've been it." 

I think Seo-woo deserves to know that the "aunt" is her biological mother, regardless if she understands. But then again, the other factor we have to consider is that SW's first maternal figure was MJ so is introducing another mother to SW going to be difficult, or better for the child?

I thought the line that hit me the hardest was: "The most desperate thing to say isn't 'I want to die', it's 'I want to live'". That was powerful.

I am sure that if YR dies again, her parents and sister would be devastated. I'm quite sure that the deities didn't send her on this journey as a reward, but as a punishment- for her to see how her death impacted the lives of so many others around her because again, the focus is: your life isn't only your own (which was also one of the themes of the one of the earlier episodes). Now that GH knows that YR is going to die AGAIN- I'm wondering what he'll do to change that (if he wants to).

• Like 7

This drama is beginning to become very intense as we near the end.

I would like to share my views on this drama.

I believe that YR’s rightful place is with GH, but she isn’t going to be rightfully SW’s mom completely. We obviously see that GH cannot let Yuri out of his mind, which has been an obstacle to his new marriage. Because of GH’s restraint, he really cannot cherish his new wife fully, and therefore that is why YR will always be his true wife. However, I don’t think YR can be SW’s mom. I know a copious amount of people think that since YR is the biological mom, she deserves to be SW’s mom. I agree with the fact that she most definitely didn’t want to die, and it was not her choice to. We really have to see the drama from SW’s perspective. MJ has been shown to have been taking care of SW for quite a while. SW recognizes MJ as her mom for crying out loud! Even if YR becomes GH’s wife in the end, it is unrealistic for SW to automatically call YR her mom. In reality, if you had a stepmom that had been caring for you and you have recognized her as mom, you would definitely feel a deep connection with her. YR also suggests this in the end of episode 10, “Your place I cannot reach, eomma.” I am not saying that YR doesn’t have the right to be with her child, but I don’t see SW calling YR her mom anytime soon.

I also want to share another part of my take on this drama. I believe the primary victim of this drama has been MJ. Yes, YR has definitely gone through so much watching her family and GH suffer throughout her death, and not being able to hold her child was extremely painful for me to see. However, after watching episodes 13 and 14, my views on this drama have been shifted in a whole new direction. MJ has been suffering under GH’s coldness until she befriended HJ and YR. I feel like she has been somewhat betrayed since everyone has been lying to her for the last few episodes. I don’t think YR is the person who is really suffering the most here. Ever since she reunited with HJ and her parents, she has been quite happy despite not being with GH and SW. YR had somewhere else to go (her family) to find happiness outside of GH. Meanwhile, MJ is stuck with a traumatized husband and a young daughter under her responsibility. I think the drama really highlights this in episode 14 where we see scene changes of YR having fun and then MJ crying her eyes out. People say that MJ is still living and YR has been dead so YR has been suffering the most. Let’s think about our own lives. Even when life offers us many happy moments, being alive is also a source of suffering. 

This drama has been extremely complicated and heartbreaking. I wish a happy ending for all of the characters.

Edited by Jack Green
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

I think that on the stairs scene, GH extravased all the feelings about YR. Feelings that he was holding after YR's death.

That scene was so beautiful and so sad. When Yuri touches GH's back... that was the first touch after YR rebirth.

i would like to see a beautiful endind for all.

• Thanks 1

How long is MJ’s married to GH? Was the drama mentioned about this? I probably missed it. 

It looked like MJ is quite an able and confidence woman, she like GH quite a long time, she tried to get close to him when they were still in university but then after she accidentally knew he had a girlfriend she gave up, after that she’s the one who initiate to get close to GH again after YR passed away. We can assume MJ didn’t know that GH had problem related to his wife’s death at that time, or probably she already felt it when they were dating but felt confidence that she could handle the marriage with all his baggages. Especially when she decided to quit her work so she can be a good mother and wife. She’s a nurse, and quit her job means she could lose her skill and experience. She’s sacrifice quite a lot to make the marriage successful. YR and Mj need a good talk lol, since i think the drama move towards YR’s death at the end.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

11 hours ago, YuriXGanghwaFan said:

It makes me wonder why Hi Bye Mama has low ratings in South Korea.

Here in the Philippines, it is currently 2nd Place of most watched series via NETFLIX. And I also joined the FB group of HBM which is open even for international fans. I took a photo of Netflix showing the the TOP 10 series in the Philippines to share to them that Hi Bye Mama is doing well in our country. In return, the fans from Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand.. they shared the screenshot/photo of  Hi Bye Mama’s ranking in their countries. Hi Bye Mama is currently holding the #1 spot in their country. Which means many fans love the series. It baffles me why in South Korea, it is less popular..:(

actually the drama recieves a lot of attention in Korea. all the cut videos from it always place high in naver tv (quite similar to youtube), even some rank 1st, kfans really anticipate Kim Taehee's first drama after her long hiatus. however, as i read kfans' comments, they're angry that she is given a character (Yuri) who is so pitiful, unfortunate and has to suffer a lot. "if yuri doesnt have a happy ending we will stop watching the drama" there're many comments like that, i think thats why the rating drops :( but in fact, the drama is still considered as wellknown in korea

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

We need to respect KTH for her choice to play as YR. She is a new mom and found a connection with the Hi Bye Mama script when she first read it. KTH stated that she even cried while reading it. This drama clearly isn’t setup as a romantic comedy. I believe it is trying to present to us the different struggles of life through all the characters. KTH chose this drama for a reason. We should open up and respect her decision to play in the drama, and see what message KTH wants to convey to us with YR regardless if the ending doesn’t go YR’s way.

Edited by Jack Green
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jack Green said:

We need to respect KTH for her choice to play as YR. She is a new mom and found a connection with the Hi Bye Mama script when she first read it. KTH stated that she even cried while reading it. This drama clearly isn’t setup as a romantic comedy. I believe it is trying to present to us the different struggles of life through all the characters. KTH chose this drama for a reason. We should open up and respect her decision to play in the drama, and see what message KTH wants to convey to us with YR regardless if the ending doesn’t go YR’s way.

I agreed. She did choose the script for a reason. I admit that this drama is a torture. It never let us not to cry in a single episode. How cruel it is! It's why it's called a tear jerker one. It hurts you but it makes you feel touched. At first I watched only some clips then reading the recaps, I wasn't that mentally strong to watch this. I tried since I have nothing to watch. My current watch dramas are turned pretty meh and I tuned to this a few days ago. I watched random episodes because I don't like being too carried away with the sadness. Guess what... I watched the whole episodes and I sobbed along with the characters whenever those pain come to them. They have good storyline. At first I was tricked by a recapper of a site telling that it is a rom-com. I got fooled by the light teasers. The drama has such layered characters and shared lots of meatier storylines about life and death, about how we should cherish the one we love while we can and the things we call a fate. All actors deliver their best acting and emotion to make the drama is such an epic one. It's not easy to make your emotion goes along with the characters. I am glad KTH choose this one as her comeback project. Her acting as YR is so good. I can feel how deeply hurt cha yu ri for being separated from her loved ones. Last time I watch her in Yongpal. She's ageless. And LKH is just so amazing as well. I saw him in several dramas before and he proves that he is one of those actors with great acting skills. His characters are varied. Their chemistry is great. This is why I expect for their happy ending. Sighh... I guess it was my fault. I shouldn't start this at all. Now I can't move on from this sadness. Sigh... 

Maybe i’m one of the minority who wants Yuri to have a proper goodbye, then leave..
For me, this beautiful Drama should deliver a good meaning and message.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Every person will die eventually. The living needs to learn saying goodbyes to their loved ones because parting is inevitable

This.

If Yuri really stay alive, what message we’d got from this Drama? To never let go of someone even when she/he already passed away, and keep hoping that she/he will come back to us eventually as long as we close our heart for other people?

This kind of ending doesn’t work for me..it’s too cruel for the reality..

Not directly related to the Drama, but any of you watch this video?

it’s about a Mother who traumatize bcs she cannot let go of her daughter who passed away years ago. Then, with VR technology, they made the child “alive” again, in order to let the Mother have a proper goodbye.

This shows that it possible to make someone who passed away come back “alive” once again, but to make them stay alive, it’s impossible.

So, if we get the chance to meet our loved one who died, whether it through this technology, or even only in our dreams, please use that opportunity to say goodbye properly..and let go..

Everything happens for a reason, so does with life and death

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, loveiskim said:

Not directly related to the Drama, but any of you watch this video?

it’s about a Mother who traumatize bcs she cannot let go of her daughter who passed away years ago. Then, with VR technology, they made the child “alive” again, in order to let the Mother have a proper goodbye.

:bawling:  I cannot stop my tears....

• Sad 3

@loveiskim I totally agree with you. The main reason I watched this drama and continued to watch was because of its uniqueness and its closeness with reality (except for the fact that Yuri came back to life). The drama has really opened me up to the importance of recognizing and accepting that your loved one has left this world. Without doing that, you will always be eternally tormented and may hurt others as well. As much as I appreciate YR as a character, I think an ending where she leaves will be the most powerful. Like you said, it leaves a message for the audience. If YR does end up with GH at the end, it would be sweet, but it will defeat the message that this drama has been building up to.

Edited by Jack Green
  • Like 2