[Drama 2020] Hi bye, Mama!, 하이바이, 마마!

0ly40

For YuRi to come back to life will be a stretch.

I cringe when I think about the scenario that she takes over MJ's body. A no-no from me?

I feel she will leave but by then she would realise that she has to trust that GH will take care of Seo Woo.

Another possible cliche ending

Spoiler

YuRi disappears but returns as a doppelganger of sorts, and meets GH again.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2020 at 6:59 AM, Agasshi said:

I guess the writer is going for Yuri being human at the end of the drama. Let’s hope there is no beef between Yuri and Minjung. Both are already pitiful but if Yuri ends up of KH, MJ will be the most pitiful one.

I haven't even really considered this option. Because of the 49 days theme and because of all the implications it would have. I still can't really imagine it but it certainly looks like they going in that direction. I am not sure if i am on board for that.

@confusedheart326

Totally agree about all three points.

I am glad you feel that way about Minjung. And seeing the reactions here i guess it isn't that unpopular of an opinion :)

I also agree about that Yuri needs to realize that her time is past. Maybe she will have to admit that her understandable 'greed' of staying around her daughter as a ghost might have actually harmed her and not been in her best interest.

And i also agree about the fillers. There is so much interesting and emotionally complex stuff to dive into but they kinda avoid it. Example when you had Minjung talking with Yuri's friend and starts to ask if Seo-woo is different in any way. (Blaming herself and all that good stuff, meanwhile you have Yuri listening in). But they just cut that scene short.

I feel like they all should know about it and try their best to figure it out. But even if everyone tries their best it's still a pretty impossible task. And that's where you get the drama, emotions and complex characters. Instead you have her hiding and running away all the time. I think the writing might be a bit more superfical than i like it to be. Of course there are still a lot of great scenes regardless.

Two little things i noticed.

When Minjung met with her friend for advice to return to work. The friend mentioned how she used to run around and do everything for her husband. We already knew she was and probably still is in love with him but i thought it was an interesting little side note.

And then when Minjung goes to Kanghwa and asks if he beat her last night. And she was serious... Uhm...

To be fair he was super surprised so i will just think he would never do that. But the fact that she even asks him is pretty troubling.

Maybe a sign that she was victim of domestic violence before.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Why Im getting this bad feeling  after 49 DAYS of YURI she will be reencarnated as MJ's child. Writerim please please dont make that happen a BIG NON NO. Yes MJ has done nothing wrong yet! but still why not let YURI posses different body who looks like YURI and stay alive forever and get to meet GH and they fell in love

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, sadthe1st said:

ep5 seems to elaborate that MJ relationship with GH and SW is not sheer coincidence or chance.. even her first day at the hospital was the death of YR (this is where the fate of YR and GH/SW should have ended) and birth of SW and she was placed in MJ’s arms (this is where the fate of MJ and SW started).. 

Your post above made me picked up this drama again, and now I am all caught up. I had given up after two episodes because I wasn’t feeling much for the FL. She was overly too joyous being a ghost, IMO. In fact, I was more interested in MJ and her backstory. How she came about to marry GH, how GH decide to marry her, why she wants divorce, etc, etc. 

I had also started this drama thinking it will be a rather serious one so it was rather difficult for me to tune into the comedy at first. But now that I’ve switched my viewing mode to see this more as a light comedy sprinkled with profound moments, it’s easy to enjoy the drama. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

The  most beautiful thing Ive found about this drama is Yu Ri trusts and respects MJ place.

She has no idea of MJ doubts or plan to divorce.

Also its very sad to see the hubby go through so many emotions.  Its obvious he still loves YR.  At the same time he is funny fool to watch.  I cant help laughing at him.

But I do wonder if he has any feelings for MJ?  Its kinda a cold relationship to me.  

Nevertheless  its good to see MJ is taking the take Seo Woo to get counseling and testing because it shows that she 

is aware that SeoWoo isn't normal.  ( that cute lil one just want pinch he/her cheeks)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

In fact, I was more interested in MJ and her backstory. How she came about to marry GH, how GH decide to marry her, why she wants divorce, etc, etc. 

i’m curious about it too! GH seems to respect MJ too much in an uncomfortable way.. did she appear to him so often that at the very split moment he just needed a solace to offload his sadness and baby SW onto someone and voila! MJ..

remember the same scene which YR saw GH through the seasons.. sadness alone.. rushing to bring SW to infant care and eventually, all 3 of them (GH, SW and MJ) walked happily as a family?

MJ probably only wanted a tiny space in GH’s heart to push herself on but eventually realised he had shut everyone (including SW) from his heart and feelings.. thats why she harbored the thought of a divorce..

i hope YR stick to her belief that greed will turn any human/ghost evil.. that she will not try to take MJ’s place.. even if she does try a little, i hope she will remind herself of it and stop herself in time before any tragedy happens

sidenote.. i remember watching the trailer of this kdrama with GH meeting dead and now alive YR in the police station.. so this scene is just a teaser and not happening? hahaha :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

MJs story is punch in the gut..and no offence but the FL is the reason why soowoo can see ghosts to a point where she is affected by them, this isn’t a normal imaginary friend scenario, the more yuri stayed next to the baby the more negative impact it had on her, I get it her story is sad, but from point 1 I have been annoyed by the sheer entitlement Yuris chachacter has, like she just picks up a child? Who does that? She makes her grief to be this all encompassing tragedy..and she is given that space, her husband is still in love with her, her friends are blatantly saying that she should take back her place, or choose yuri, she goes and plays with a child on daily basis knowing that it might create problems between the husband and wife.....

on the other hand is MJ who has laboured away...left her job...gave up on her career to raise a child of man that does not love her.....a daughter that she loves, does everything for....while the society won’t give her a break about being “good” mother...she has to deal with all this by taking alcohol...it’s such a sad life... her husband honestly does not give her any time of the day... she is always worried about failing as a mother ...because her competition is with someone who people “ imagine” to be a good mother,.... and I would make the case that yuri isn’t soowoos mother...biological sure...but min jung is the one doing everything...from picking her up to, feeding her to remembering her allergies....it’s just bizarre that people have no sympathy when they say yuri should take min jungs place.

and I. Will. Flip. If producers make soowoo call yuri her umma.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, samsherlock said:

MJs story is punch in the gut..and no offence but the FL is the reason why soowoo can see ghosts to a point where she is affected by them, this isn’t a normal imaginary friend scenario, the more yuri stayed next to the baby the more negative impact it had on her, I get it her story is sad, but from point 1 I have been annoyed by the sheer entitlement Yuris chachacter has, like she just picks up a child? Who does that? She makes her grief to be this all encompassing tragedy..and she is given that space, her husband is still in love with her, her friends are blatantly saying that she should take back her place, or choose yuri, she goes and plays with a child on daily basis knowing that it might create problems between the husband and wife.....

on the other hand is MJ who has laboured away...left her job...gave up on her career to raise a child of man that does not love her.....a daughter that she loves, does everything for....while the society won’t give her a break about being “good” mother...she has to deal with all this by taking alcohol...it’s such a sad life... her husband honestly does not give her any time of the day... she is always worried about failing as a mother ...because her competition is with someone who people “ imagine” to be a good mother,.... and I would make the case that yuri isn’t soowoos mother...biological sure...but min jung is the one doing everything...from picking her up to, feeding her to remembering her allergies....it’s just bizarre that people have no sympathy when they say yuri should take min jungs place.

and I. Will. Flip. If producers make soowoo call yuri her umma.

Preach <3

This is actually why i always call Minjung the 'mom' and Yuri the 'biological mom'. 

• Like 6

On 3/9/2020 at 4:00 AM, poopytubby said:

idk does anyone else think minjung wants a divorce because she just doesn't feel belonged in the family? :/ i mean she's always the "stepmum" and the other mums keep gossiping about how weird her step daughter is. she brings seowoo to the academic kindergarten and they pointed out that perhaps she isn't doing enough to develop seowoo's social skills and thus seowoo is perceived as weird. kang hwa doesn't depend on her like people would expect normal husbands do their wives. i just feel so sad for her because i feel like she came into this because she loved kang hwa so much she gave up everything including her job to be with him and seowoo but for 2-3years she just felt like a poor substitute for yuri... argh it's so complicated ;A; yuri is holding back so much she definitely wants to be with her family again but i also feel for minjung ;A;;

also lkh's crying scenes bro... i lost my eyeballs. 

i also wanna hug prof jang ;A;

Yup i can also sense that MJ thinks she’s just a replacement, it was obvious she felt that way especially that GH basically doesn’t ask anything from her. I feel sad for both women, they both love GH and SW so it’s really hard to choose from either of them. But I’m pretty sure at the end of the drama, Yuri will choose to leave. She just need to cut all loose ends, and for everyone to heal from her passing. She would choose to leave because she knows that it’s the best for everyone, her time has already passed and everyone should move on as well. She will sacrifice her chance to live again as human for everyone sake. 

• Like 4

This drama is funny and poignant. I can't help tearing up over many scenes...maybe I am easily moved or maybe because I view it from the point of someone who is also a mother.  I think to fully appreciate what this drama is going for, viewing lens is important . It isn't a drama that is trying to pit the biological mum against the mum that raised her. Neither is this a drama with a love triangle - it is not about who is the better wife for Kang Hwa. While I am not the writer , it is fairly obvious from the little things such as the thoughtful epilogues and the storytelling that is interwoven with the narrations of the characters - that the underlying arc he / she is going for is about acknowledging grief and finding meaning when you lose someone you love .  How I see it is that this drama actually celebrates motherhood ( or parenthood if I have to be politically correct) . By the end of this drama, we would see that Seo Woo is a very lucky girl because she has two mums who love her very much.

There are many ways to view this - you can say that ,YuRis  life was unfairly cut short ( and every person in that columbrium would say the same about theirs) and understandably she should take her rightful place to raise SW. Our emotions are further swayed by all the sweet flashbacks of YuRi and Kang Hwa's love story , and the fact that till this very day Kang Hwa is still living with self blame of not being able to save YR's life. We saw the happiness  in YR's parents place when they all found out she was expecting Seo Woo. How can your heart not feel the regret that YR's father who was so overjoyed he would be a grandfather , never got to be part of her growing up journey. I teared up seeing how he finds ingenious ways to spend time with SW. 

Spoiler

But then , lest we think that MJ is any less of a mum to Seo Woo , we are given this heartbreaking scene. She may not have given birth to Seo Woo, but as fate would have it, MJ became the 1st person to hold her. And throughout the show,  we see that MJ loves and cares for SW like her own. I felt so much for MJ because she tries very hard to do her very best for SW . But yet  she's often labeled by the other mums as being  a golddigger , and implied to be a bad mum because of SW's behavior . It is so sad to see her turn to alcohol because she has no one else to turn to . I don't blame her for contemplating divorce because it is not easy to live  with a man  who is not really present in the marriage , and it is made more painful when you have to compete with the memory of his dead wife. 

Spoiler

ESrK-QVWAAIGpoL?format=jpg&name=medium

One of the characters  I love in this drama is YR's bestie , Hyung Jung - she is a rock for those around her . I loved her standing up to all the other mothers and I liked her how much empathy she had for MJ. I feel she will be the bridge between YR and MJ. When the time comes for YR to return , she will with the help of HJ let go , and be able to see that MJ was the angel sent to look after her daughter. Yes, in spite of the ending in eps 6 , I am still of the opinion that YR will have to return. These 49 days are basically to give her closure . The one thing that is a bit of a wild card for me here is Kang Hwa's feelings for MJ . He has never really moved on from YR , so  it would be somewhat unfair to MJ . Maybe further flashbacks will help us see how KH really feels about MJ , and how he ended up marrying her. 

This drama is so highly underrated here in soompi forum.

It had so many ways to explore and had a really meaningful meaning for every title of the episode so far.

Even with the filler, this drama keep touch me hard with all the meaning behind the word or action. 

You just couldnt stop supporting both min jung and yu ri. Both deserve better.

Yuri deserve to raise seo woo ( because of the missing time )

Min jung deserve to be loved by ganghwa and respected by other mom ( because she is trying her best to fill the huge gap in ganghwa heart and also taking care of seo woo ) 

If i got to bet, i bet ganghwa had a good feeling with min jung. If he just use min jung as "babysitter" the moment he see yuri, he wont hesitate to tell min jung about it and say goodbye to her. 

But what really happen is he dont tell Min Jung about yuri because he dont want to hurt her feeling. And thats happen for a good reason. They are looking like a happy little family up until ganghwa met with yuri again. Ofcourse minus the birthday of seo woo which is the same day as yuri death that he use for remembering yuri. 

If u are in position of ganghwa it is really understanable to be confused what to do. 

Its like choosing mother or father. Something that you just couldnt choose without big sacrifice. 

I just cant wait for next episode.

The title of ep 7 and 8 seems interesting.

Episode 7 most likely about Min jung and ganghwa background(?)

Episode 8 is the interesting one because the meaning can be everything from the ghost squad/yuri family/yuri/min jung but i bet it will be about ghost squad.

I like netflix to spoil the title and the duration of the next two episode. 

Saturday come fast pls

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1584080583778626.jpg

3rd OST, titled “To You”, by Hen, will be released at 18:00 on 15. Arch 2020.

“To You” is a song that expresses a beautiful and sad heart on the piano and guitar that wants a better person to be with someone closest to you. It contains the heart of Cha Yu-ri. In particular, the lyrics with an emotional atmosphere reminiscent of letters convey a louder sound.

Images/drawings released by tvN.

Spoiler

e348d83a-0c5c-4e9d-99aa-6571eb3ac7f1.jpg

20200314095351_5e6c2b1ee6160_1.jpg

Kim Tae Hee Transforms Into A Wish-Granting Genie As A Reincarnated Ghost In “Hi Bye, Mama”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1388038wpp/kim-tae-hee-transforms-into-a-wish-granting-genie-as-a-reincarnated-ghost-in-hi-bye-mama

Kim Tae Hee And Go Bo Gyeol Have An Awkward Encounter In “Hi Bye, Mama”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1388152wpp/kim-tae-hee-and-go-bo-gyeol-have-an-awkward-encounter-in-hi-bye-mama

Edited by Nancyzak
  • Love 1

Hard sub preview ep 8

GS: She said that she wants to do that (as SW pick-up helper)? What are you going to do now?
JH: Do you think it is too fast?
GS: Try to call her
HJ: She won't come
KH: Yeah right. She doesn't want to come because I am here
HJ: Why? Does she say she want a divorce?
GS's mom: If a dead child appears in front of her mother then it means the child can't leave this world (?)
YR's mom: She (SW) thinks the mother she sees now (MJ) is her (real) mother, what if she (SW) knows the truth?
YR's dad: What should I do when I missed her so much?
Mi Ja (the daughter-in-law ghost): It is my life but it also true that it (my life) is my parents' life too
Man: Yu Ri
HJ: Even I feel that it is so unfair
YR: Because of me, Seo Woo is sick (I think YR means that SW can see ghost because of her. She told HJ about her secrets I guess)
YR: I'll be alright as long as SW is healed (back to a normal person who can't see ghost) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

**I don’t believe it will come day I want to kill shirtless guy :joy:

@Ameera Ali its been a long time!! i haven’t seen u in many kd threads and i almost thought u paraglide to switzerland or something hahahaha B)

i’m not too sure if YR’s coming back is of anything good now.. seems like i pity MJ and also, GH and HJ family life are kinda jeopardised one way or another as well.. 

• LOL 2

Still cuts from tvN.

The latest batch are of CYR and her mother and there’s a BTS video of CYR and mother in the spoiler. Mother and daughter meeting each other will happen sooner or later. Not sure if the the BTS scene a flashback or after the meeting. I hope it’s the latter.

Spoiler

• Thanks 2