[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Love Is Sweet 半是蜜糖半是伤

sugarplum892

Yay! This drama is finally released!

It's available at IQIYI, WeTV, and Amazon Prime Video but region-restricted so you will need to check the sites to see if it is available in your country.

It's now also available at the IQIYI website (iq.com) to watch on your PC. Schedule is 2eps a day, Sunday-Tuesday, 6 eps a week total. VIP members have access to additional episodes.  The drama is free (with ads) to watch on the website.

iq.com Link: https://www.iq.com/play/21wd6990sjx

Amazon Prime Link: https://www.amazon.com/Love-Is-Sweet/dp/B08LLH7BK7

I've seen Ep. 1-2 and I'm hooked! 

On 9/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, madmad min said:

I am waiting for VIP tag to be removed, anyone have idea does Iqiyi retain the VIP membership or ever makes it free.?

For the IQIYI Website, they usually have a schedule and release the episodes for free according to that schedule. Sometimes they will release all episodes for free once the drama is finished airing. It  depends on the drama. Occasionally, they will have the free episodes while the drama is airing on the schedule and then when the drama is finished airing, they will lock all episodes for VIP so you can't do a rewatch without the VIP.  Again, it depends on the drama.  For Love Is Sweet, the schedule is 2 eps per day, Sunday-Tuesday for the Non-VIP members. You can watch the episodes for free (with ads) on the IQIYI Website (iq.com). You do not have to sign up or download anything to watch on the website.  Currently, Ep. 1-4 are available to watch for free at the website, and Ep. 5-6 will be released tomorrow. 

Link to iq.com: https://www.iq.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The chemistry is great, and they are adorable to look at, but the fact that he and her dad agreed that making her life miserable was "for her own good" makes me mad. Also the fact that he is STILL doing that - though there are signs showing he's learning that she has changed, I hope that he learns by the end of the show that he needs to respect her and not treat her like she's an idiot who doesn't know anything... Stark contrast to Dating in the Kitchen, in terms of the ML's ability to respect his FL.

• Like 3

I might end up doing Episode wise Reviews ...

Episode 3-4 ...4 TBC

Spoiler

Episode 3: I get that YS is a Boss and JJ are him are now maybe old classmates gone stale. But somehow YS has practically no Physical Distance Boundary with JJ, that at places to me feels like a harassment. He is too onto her Nose.

I liked Mr Du , with a sense of mystery. BTW his side profile can legit pass for Luo Yunxi lookalike. I forgot the lady who likes YS's name with red Lipstick but as Slow as YS talks while dealing with his colleagues this Lady is that Loud, kinda off putting. And wow JJ's bff just took a job in the supermarket to stalk her Crush, wow how innovative is that? Want to see how this side Idol drama folds up. And man with the Aol References, one just cant help but notice if they have been a fan, YS is demon and God of WAR like for real? Why Lol makes it fun tbh here.

Today is a case with Mr Kealing's Pharmaceutical and MH, wherein JJ chooses to directly interact with the Owner Mr. Deng I believe . (I was lowkey praying for a different Mr. Deng to make a cameo but alas nevermind, the name itself is fun lol). YS gives JJ a very very hard time, he has to let her be on her own and Prove herself for once. This incessant pestering is what makes her not like Him precisely. YS is not a Teen anymore that teases the girl he wants to protect and likes. He has to give her some credit.

I like the last part wherein YS understand that JJ complaint of stomach ache is not due to hunger and helps her. And the shoe lace tying part. Makes me say YS stop being so harsh dude. 

Things I did not understand.

1. When YS and company listened to the announcement that 4 new joinees will enter in MH, why did he not act surprised then? Wasn't he a part of the Interview Panel? Or there is always a scope of surprise entry this time being JJ.

2. When Mr. Deng informed HR to give access to JJ for his company very confidential documents, how did YS's assistant enter without any permit, I mean do they not confirm the Id's even they are from same company?

3. I don't understand JJ's temperament towards YS in general, she apparently hates him but allows him to literally breathe on her face every time they have a conversation. I assume there should be a far more definitive history than wronged bully and underconfident Teen here, else the interactions is there just to enhance the believable attraction chemistry.

4. I know YS uses reverse psychology to make JJ strong but dude a teen and Adult have different temperaments, he could do less chastising and actually judge her on her merits rather than her teen image.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, crispachu said:

The chemistry is great, and they are adorable to look at, but the fact that he and her dad agreed that making her life miserable was "for her own good" makes me mad. Also the fact that he is STILL doing that - though there are signs showing he's learning that she has changed, I hope that he learns by the end of the show that he needs to respect her and not treat her like she's an idiot who doesn't know anything... Stark contrast to Dating in the Kitchen, in terms of the ML's ability to respect his FL.

Is it? I think YS was not intended to do that, he was just a dumb boy that has a crush on a girl and dont know how to do it properly, but he was still nice and care to her, although mostly he was seen like bullying her.

And about he and her dad agreed to make her life miserable to make her stronger, i think i missed it? I just saw her dad asked YS to take care JJ, because YS is 2 years older than JJ and they know JJ cant afford to cry because of her tears allergic, and her dad gave 10 yuan to YS. But i remember there was no saying about making her life stronger by bullying her? Maybe i have to rewatch them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tothestars said:

And about he and her dad agreed to make her life miserable to make her stronger, i think i missed it? I just saw her dad asked YS to take care JJ, because YS is 2 years older than JJ and they know JJ cant afford to cry because of her tears allergic, and her dad gave 10 yuan to YS. But i remember there was no saying about making her life stronger by bullying her? Maybe i have to rewatch them.

There's one scene where

Spoiler

her dad asks him if it's true that he's been having classmates bully her, and he went into a whole explanation of why he is doing it - to make her strong so she doesn't cry so much. And her dad agrees with him. Yes, he's an idiot little boy but her DAD WENT ALONG WITH IT, wth.

Cut to present day - he's doing the same thing when he

Spoiler

insists on tanking her job interview because he thinks he knows her so well and believes that she's not cut out for the work, when it's clear she has talent for it. He completely dismisses her personal goals and ambitions in the name of "you'll never survive, you can't even survive your own tears." I wouldn't be as forgiving if anyone tried to do that "for my own good"! Not to mention manipulating things so that she'll end up living next door, and trying to arrange a more suitable (in his opinion) job for her - which ultimately fails because she manages to get into the company anyway.

If you look at all the flashbacks,

Spoiler

every time she cries, it's because HE instigates it. She even tells him so when they meet again, and I think he still doesn't get that yet. 

The only saving grace to me is that he sincerely cares for her and she's slowly knocking some sense into his head. I'm hoping it'll be a complete lesson by the end of the story.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, crispachu said:

There's one scene where

Hide contents

her dad asks him if it's true that he's been having classmates bully her, and he went into a whole explanation of why he is doing it - to make her strong so she doesn't cry so much. And her dad agrees with him. Yes, he's an idiot little boy but her DAD WENT ALONG WITH IT, wth.

Cut to present day - he's doing the same thing when he

Hide contents

insists on tanking her job interview because he thinks he knows her so well and believes that she's not cut out for the work, when it's clear she has talent for it. He completely dismisses her personal goals and ambitions in the name of "you'll never survive, you can't even survive your own tears." I wouldn't be as forgiving if anyone tried to do that "for my own good"! Not to mention manipulating things so that she'll end up living next door, and trying to arrange a more suitable (in his opinion) job for her - which ultimately fails because she manages to get into the company anyway.

If you look at all the flashbacks,

Hide contents

every time she cries, it's because HE instigates it. She even tells him so when they meet again, and I think he still doesn't get that yet. 

The only saving grace to me is that he sincerely cares for her and she's slowly knocking some sense into his head. I'm hoping it'll be a complete lesson by the end of the story.

Ah you are right. Up to present day, he always look down on her, he calls her crying girl right.

But i think YS also has liked her since they are kid, dont remember if they are neighbour friends or only school mates, but from the flashback, they only show that YS always being alone and came to JJ only. So that's why i think he is kind of possesive with JJ, bully her, care her, always there thru ups and downs, and mostly because of him wth... 

But yeah like you said, he started to look up on her, start to respect her, since JJ said, he only knew her in the past, school time. Not knowing her for the last decade, it is time for him to rediscover her.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, crispachu said:

I agree, He basically Instigates her to BE angry and Fight back not cry like a Normal girl due to her allergy but it goes OTT most of the time which comes out unpleasant. 

• Like 3

The drama plot is totally different from the novel :/

In the novel, she was stronger imo and here she is a bit weak. Actually, i am frustrated with how quick FL characters are to run after second lead. I mean, the guy met you by chance in the library and had your contact only bc he helped you to get in. BUT you still had to be silly and accept him as your teacher right away and ignore all the signs that he is using you to ruin YS. And i think FL and ML will both ruin it for each other in the office.

There are multiple cute moments but I am frustrated that BL is acting as a weak girl here while all her other dramas are about a strong-minded girl. Sighs. Its a change ofc to try multiple roles but It was a breath of fresh air to see strong women in the cdrama world.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

EPISODE 4 Review.

Spoiler

Amongst all the 4 I saw, this has to be the Best one, because YS toned it down a bit. I loved how he took care of JJ and bought sanitary napkin and Tea/Thermos for her. JJ knows he does care for her in his own manner, just that his Tsuendreness takes over majority of his character nullifying his care.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, YS keeps her calling a Girl gullible who can cry at an instant, but in reality when she wanted to cry the most, she couldn't do it properly , that is what made JJ stronger , YS doesn't know this fact otherwise his reaction maybe would have been not to constant tell her she will cry and shield her but instead Encourage or treat her as a normal Colleague. Her best dialog yet to YS "You think you know me, but you are in the past, a Lot happened in between the time you weren't there, Perhaps it's time you get to know me again"

I like the BFF's writer wanna Crush, lol he is smart , he instantly caught her wandering at her store to catch his attention, and when confronted the lady was not even fazed hahaha. Him and Broody Second lead are legit eye candies.I liked Mr Du's senior who he has dinner with, she may even be an Anti character but she is not OTT Loud as YS's chaser lady.

Hope the PLOT develops and this does not end up being a less plot driven can accumulate in 10 episodes with Slice of Life Reality Check dramas which jeopardized some of my other fav c dramas with too many unnecessary episodes.

YS when stops being a Tsuendere or Stalker refusing physical boundary with JJ is actually more interesting TBH, His confused Pseudo BF tendencies and naughtiness is a pleasure to watch. But his cunning strategies and chess playing seem like a Heavy ode for the Role he is most known for, but that is partly because he does not distinguish between his demeanors. I wish Luo Yunxi tries a full on comedy role for his next, that is one he does very less but is best at.

I don't agree with some stating Bailu being portrayed as a weak FL uptil episode 4 atleast, She is a Rookie and one cannot expect her to straight forward Know-it-all in Investment Field like YS's character, on the other hand I think her reaction to YS is what makes her come across pretty ok with whatever he treats her like with instant defensive dialogs making her look more teen than adamant at places.

Also she is so darn Pretty why has she been donned in Uber Loose Large size clothes? The MLs have much more fitted clothes than she does in the show. No fair.

:yaaa:

• Like 3

On 9/29/2020 at 3:30 AM, crispachu said:

well, it’s called tough love, also it’s there to show how they grow. As a parents, it’s a hard job to judge what’s the best way to go about these issues. The fact that the ML understands at a very young age that you can’t protect someone forever and hence training her is a mark of intelligent and matured thinking. However, he’s still a kid and nothing is perfect, if her dad has been there n saw how sad his daughter is, he would have back off/calling it off. But only the ML was there, he was not old enough to have enough sympathy to call it off. And you can see it at the later flashbacks when they were older, he regretted his mistake that essentially caused their breakup.

kids at school can be mean, what he’s doing is mean, yes. But he’s there to make sure that he can then coach her how to deal with the emotions to prevent crying, idk about you but how you go about training your kids to cope with this? Do you wait for it to happen and then try to train your kid, or make it a controlled environment and train your kid? So in a sense, know I’m the minority here, I’m siding with the dad on this one lol.  

anyway, I love this drama. Very good incorporation of flashbacks, the childhood stories explain well their relationship as kids and why they rifted apart, and as the story progresses, you can understand how she’s naturally falling for him

Spoiler

I love ep11, the small talk during the movie shows how close they were: go to the cinema a lot with each other, and since they always touching each other, that’s why she’s ok with him holding her and gives her solace. As well as highlighting the fact that he always there know when to comfort her. That moment is so sweet, it blinding my screen n heart :wub:

cant wait for more episodes, and 6 a week is just not enough! Also based on the trailer, imma feel for the second ML :( but sorry, YS is the best and his sad face at the beginning of the end credit hurts >_<

I also disagree that BL is a weak FL here, she’s constantly trying to prove she can do this, and she’s strong. Just because she trusts someone easily does not mean you are weak. Since when trusting and have faith in people’s goodness is weak? Do you go and search every new friend you make? She’s a rookie in a company, what can she do that would harm the company that other rookie can’t do? Why would she have to take extra step in searching and find out who each and every new person she met might be? Wouldn’t that make your life so stressful with that much distrust in your own society and people?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

EPISODE 5 Review...

The story keeps on getting better, This show's treatment reminds me of the K dramas we are used to watch but with better instrumental background music. I guess this show is a Love triangle based on the Book Cover they showed here? 

I like the confrontation story part here and have given up on the fact that YS will not stop being overly possessive yet act like a moron in front of JJ, I mean does he even try to clear the misunderstanding? He still acts like the 16 yr old who got rejected and unintentionally ended up sabotaging her performance and their friendship. The guy needs to grow up Period. But he is on the improvement path hopefully.

Also what was with the Lint on the YS's tweed Overcoat today very disturbing throughout the episode. Aishh.

• Like 1

Is it mE ? oR THESE 2 legit Look Similar??? 

los2.png

los1.png

EPISODE 6 :

Today YS and JJ talked about novel Norwegian Wood by Naruko Murakami , the intention for YS was to JJ know that like Watanabe the main lead in that book is similar to him in the sense he has undying silent love for JJ and he is the only one who comforts her even while he suffers. While JJ has a different perspective (This is my fav book so I agree with her concept more than his on it), whatever they  have had will have is a 2 player game not one sided issue. 

Man YS is so possessive , why can't he just directly confess to JJ instead of tricking her into spending time with him, that is too absurd IMO. This ain't a costume drama wherein the MAle God is pretending to be Sick so Female Goddess serves Him...why are the scriptwriters showing that IDK. 

My question did JJ knew beforehand that Du Lei is from their rival company? She clearly is too indulgent when it comes to him in retrospect one can understand why she may have a soft spot for YS because of their past friendship , but with DuLei its on another level TBH. One cannot just justify it being a professional Mentor-Intern relationship. And DuLei is tricking her, I think YS only revealed it because DuLei showed his ownership on JJ like YS was showing their closeness (talk about Male Hormones, Ask the Lady she doesn't feel for either of you 2 rightnow).Oh Poor Wealth in their testosterone fights lol.

What would you have chosen had you been in JJ place (having no idea that YS loves her and DL sort of likes her), the one who hands her over the FREE Pressure Cooker or the One who gets impressed by you so much that he creates a Perfume specifically for you???

• Like 2

This drama is sooo funny.  The only thing I'm disappointed in is the second lead couple. I usually ship the second leads more than the main couple, but this drama is  not the same. I just skipped their entire story line....

but THANK GOODNESS for the main lead and their chemistry! I love it soo much.  

I' just finished episode 11-12 and just wanna let you guys know in advance, there are more and more cute (bickering) scenes to come.  

What I love about this drama is , there are no shyness between the main couple, they act very natural and fitting to their long term relationship.

@Alila N It was definitely tough love for YS toward JJ, and there are a few misunderstanding in the past too.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, madmad min said:

What would you have chosen had you been in JJ place (having no idea that YS loves her and DL sort of likes her), the one who hands her over the FREE Pressure Cooker or the One who gets impressed by you so much that he creates a Perfume specifically for you???

lol, the pressure cooker isn’t expensive, she was willing to just buy it for him lol. Not knowing or understand truly how YS feels about me, with so much misunderstandings, I would take DL over YS. He was impressed by me means I made a great impression on him, and that idea in itself is attractive. You know you made a dint on someone else’s mind xD.

so her choice is understandable when she picks DL (if she’s picking him before YS tell her his true feeling). And that’s why it’s gonna break our hearts and YS’s when she does.

My take on why he can make her take care of him is not to show his seniority over her like in period drama. But more of the fact that he’s testing how much of their past relationship is there. This is 2 kids constantly at each other’s house, staying, playing and taking care of each other. After a long period of not connecting, you need this moment to see how comfortable you are with each other again, and how much you are willing to get back to being a good friend and take care of each other when in need. I do like his cheeky manner throughout the whole thing even though you don’t xD

• Like 1
  • Love 2