[Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Golden Hairpin 青簪行

On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, SC2019 said:

https://new.qq.com/omn/20210421/20210421A08WI800.html

@airgreen @tamachon @Yinye @skibbies @Gia Gia @frostflower14 @sugarplum892 @J13 @lovehuche @mrsyooknit

The article reports that The Golden Hairpin has obtained Distribution license in April this year, which probably means they got through with the Censorship Board but a later article (about 10 days ago) stated that the drama was going thru a 2nd review (whatever that means). In any case, there are no airing dates as of yet. Some rumours about July/Aug airing date, but do take this with a pinch of salt. Still, that they have gotten the distribution license means we should get to see it this year (if that's any consolation).

The second review is rumoured to be what you have to get through for in site promotion (the big banner that you see when you visit tencent's site), a fair few dramas got stuck on 2nd review, some are simply waiting for a good timing to launch during summer vacation, some are more or less up in the air. They can air the drama without 2nd review, but that basically set up for a bomb for big budget dramas, so that's fairly unlikely. (Word of Honor gave up on 2nd review by the way, but youku spent a lot of effort to promote the drama other ways and its audience are much more internet savvy + engaged, so reaching them was possible through good reputation)

If they intend to broadcast this on tv, they'll have to wait for tv scheduling, which is kind of tricky, since various stations have various plans, some might co-broadcast so they have to coordinate the schedule, some like cctv just dump shows unannounced. Waiting for tv schedule can mean you sit on a licensed drama for a year or two. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Golden Hairpin Synopsis:   At thirteen, investigative prodigy Huang Zixia had already proved herself by aiding her father in solving confounding crimes. At seventeen, she’s on

If you look at past unscreened dramas that involved scandal filled actors/actresses, they were deep frozen and not released. The exception is dramas with supporting (scandal) characters that were digi

Yeah I was wondering about this hence popped by. Like past dramas with scandalous leads, guess this drama may be frozen for quite a while. Such a shame but if the accusations are true (and so many gir

13 hours ago, skibbies said:

The second review is rumoured to be what you have to get through for in site promotion (the big banner that you see when you visit tencent's site), a fair few dramas got stuck on 2nd review, some are simply waiting for a good timing to launch during summer vacation, some are more or less up in the air. They can air the drama without 2nd review, but that basically set up for a bomb for big budget dramas, so that's fairly unlikely. (Word of Honor gave up on 2nd review by the way, but youku spent a lot of effort to promote the drama other ways and its audience are much more internet savvy + engaged, so reaching them was possible through good reputation)

If they intend to broadcast this on tv, they'll have to wait for tv scheduling, which is kind of tricky, since various stations have various plans, some might co-broadcast so they have to coordinate the schedule, some like cctv just dump shows unannounced. Waiting for tv schedule can mean you sit on a licensed drama for a year or two. 

Thanks awfully for explaining what this means. With an S+, I wonder if Tencent will push for big promos or just 'wham - today's the launch'.

I just found out that this is the 100th year celebration for China Communist Party (CCP), which is why they have shows like Faith Makes Great (propaganda type). Hopefully, they don't do what they did in 2019, and put a 100-day ban on dramas that don't deliver, erh, good values. If they do, we will have to wait before certain genres can be aired.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Thanks awfully for explaining what this means. With an S+, I wonder if Tencent will push for big promos or just 'wham - today's the launch'.

I just found out that this is the 100th year celebration for China Communist Party (CCP), which is why they have shows like Faith Makes Great (propaganda type). Hopefully, they don't do what they did in 2019, and put a 100-day ban on dramas that don't deliver, erh, good values. If they do, we will have to wait before certain genres can be aired.

TV dramas have been airing ccp themed dramas constantly since May, some were interesting, but tv ratings except for cctv are all in hellhole at the moment. The next batch of dramas should be regular dramas but it'll be up against Olympics, so it'll be rough, and I doubt they are dramas that international audience are waiting for. There were all kinds of rumours about webdramas airing starting late April, but honestly, there weren't any restrictions that I could see.

• Like 2
On 6/13/2021 at 6:43 PM, SC2019 said:

Me too, my neck is sooooo long already, I went back to re-read the first book (got it on kindle) and re-google translated Books 2-4. Based on the cast, I think they will film Book 1, 3 and 4, not sure about book 2.

Hide contents

The novel in Chinese, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.51shucheng.net/yanqing/zanzhonglu

Let's watch together when it airs, ok @airgreen?

Yeppers, as long I am not busy, I will watch as soon as it airs! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Golden Hairpin has passed reviews by the Authorities, likely airing date soon!

(where it's reported: around 0:00:10 - 0:00:25)

• Like 1

I don't think we will see this drama air anytime soon now that the male lead has been accused of sexual assault. 

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/07/18/c-star-wu-yi-fan-accused-by-19-year-of-influencer-of-sexual-assault-and-rape-additionally-claims-he-repeats-the-same-with-young-fans-he-picks-up-at-fan-meetings/

It's very disappointing that this drama may never air as the trailer looked so good. However, if these allegations are true, then Kris Wu belongs in jail. 

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

I don't think we will see this drama air anytime soon now that the male lead has been accused of sexual assault. 

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/07/18/c-star-wu-yi-fan-accused-by-19-year-of-influencer-of-sexual-assault-and-rape-additionally-claims-he-repeats-the-same-with-young-fans-he-picks-up-at-fan-meetings/

It's very disappointing that this drama may never air as the trailer looked so good. However, if these allegations are true, then Kris Wu belongs in jail. 

:GN1: sigh and I was so looking forward to seeing it next month.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Yeah I was wondering about this hence popped by. Like past dramas with scandalous leads, guess this drama may be frozen for quite a while. Such a shame but if the accusations are true (and so many girls are stepping out!), then KW is an absolute scumbag. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@Adidaem @Table122000

I hope it's just frozen for a while and not shelved forever. I was thinking, would it be possible to re-shoot all the scenes with him in it and digitally slot them in? Or is that really too long a shot.

If you look at past unscreened dramas that involved scandal filled actors/actresses, they were deep frozen and not released. The exception is dramas with supporting (scandal) characters that were digitally replaced but even then the digital effect is not good and affects the viewing pleasure.  

I think there are also Chinese entertainment rules in place against screening shows of entertainers with bad reputations. 

Pity the rest of the cast and crew who worked hard on all those dramas. It’s so important as an actor/actress that you really screen your co-workers and avoid scumbags. (Thinking of Zheng Shuang, KW and a few other scandals in the past)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Adidaem said:

If you look at past unscreened dramas that involved scandal filled actors/actresses, they were deep frozen and not released. The exception is dramas with supporting (scandal) characters that were digitally replaced but even then the digital effect is not good and affects the viewing pleasure.  

I think there are also Chinese entertainment rules in place against screening shows of entertainers with bad reputations. 

Pity the rest of the cast and crew who worked hard on all those dramas. It’s so important as an actor/actress that you really screen your co-workers and avoid scumbags. (Thinking of Zheng Shuang, KW and a few other scandals in the past)

Sigh, wishful thinking perhaps on my part. What a huge loss to the production house and I wonder if the actors and crew get paid?

Spoiler

I had a chat last night with someone. Apparently in the 80s and 90s, for a particular country where wuxia dramas were popular there, it was common for actors and actresses and even crew to not get paid, even if there were no scandals. It really depended on who had might and who could abuse the power they had. This only came to light in recents years via non mainstream media. It was a dark, dark world then. And one had to use other means to wring payment from unscrupulous companies. I can imagine how difficult such times must have been and how passionate people must be to pursue such a career despite it all. Hopefully times have changed now and people in this line of work need no longer go through such tough times. And here's hoping the crew and cast of this drama still get paid despite not being able to milk any money out of it. Couldn't they just air it on netflix?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

Sigh, wishful thinking perhaps on my part. What a huge loss to the production house and I wonder if the actors and crew get paid?

Reveal hidden contents

I had a chat last night with someone. Apparently in the 80s and 90s, for a particular country where wuxia dramas were popular there, it was common for actors and actresses and even crew to not get paid, even if there were no scandals. It really depended on who had might and who could abuse the power they had. This only came to light in recents years via non mainstream media. It was a dark, dark world then. And one had to use other means to wring payment from unscrupulous companies. I can imagine how difficult such times must have been and how passionate people must be to pursue such a career despite it all. Hopefully times have changed now and people in this line of work need no longer go through such tough times. And here's hoping the crew and cast of this drama still get paid despite not being able to milk any money out of it. Couldn't they just air it on netflix?

I think they will be paid already right?

But the contract probably has penalty clauses in case the actor/actress actions/behaviors causes the show to be shelved. I recall reading about  a lawsuit against FBB. Given how strict the Chinese govt is against undesired behaviors, cannot imagine that the contract will not state.

Also, is so so important that they push shows out ASAP. I mean, the longer you wait the higher the risk right? Just read that it’s 26 women/girls stepping out so far. Omg. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
19 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@Adidaem @Table122000

I hope it's just frozen for a while and not shelved forever. I was thinking, would it be possible to re-shoot all the scenes with him in it and digitally slot them in? Or is that really too long a shot.

The production company could get a new leading man and reshoot the scenes, but the cost would be sky high. It's rarely done for lead roles.  The only time I've seen production company re-shoot a drama was with Fan Bing Bing's drama. The ML in that drama was accused of sexual assault in Australia and was arrested and then tried for rape in Australia. I believe that almost all of the shooting had finished when he was arrested. The drama was a huge budget drama-millions of dollars. The production company was facing too big a loss if the drama didn't air so they hired another actor to play male lead (he was FBB fiance) and they did do also some digital editing as well. In the middle of the reshoot, Fan Bing Bing was accused and arrested on charges of tax evasion, and her fiance broke off the engagement. Producers lost both leads. The drama was supposed to be FBB comeback drama so without her in the lead role the drama was useless.  So the drama has been shelved ever since.  

I think it's a long shot for the production company to reshoot scenes/digitally edit with a new ML for this drama due to the cost and the time it would take.  It's more probable that another production company might decide to make their version with a different cast.  That happened with the Chinese remake of Full House. Originally, the drama was made starring a Korean idol in the ML role. Then the ban on Korean celebs happened and the drama was shelved.  Later a different production company decided to make a version with a different cast which became Midsummer Is Full of Love drama.  

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

I think it's a long shot for the production company to reshoot scenes/digitally edit with a new ML for this drama due to the cost and the time it would take.  It's more probable that another production company might decide to make their version with a different cast.  That happened with the Chinese remake of Full House. Originally, the drama was made starring a Korean idol in the ML role. Then the ban on Korean celebs happened and the drama was shelved.  Later a different production company decided to make a version with a different cast which became Midsummer Is Full of Love drama.  

Well, just know that I am in front of the Drama Gods altar, making (imaginary) offerings right now. I hope someone somewhere figures out a way to turn things around, this was an S+ drama after all. :please:

on a side note, it's quite hilarious that all this while, the thread was fairly quiet. And it got moving for all the wrong reasons. ROFL.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Adidaem said:

I suddenly recall reading about Yang Zi’s criteria for picking drama projects and find it quite ironic given what happened:

https://dramapanda.com/2019/07/yang-zi-gets-frank-about-being.html

Yes, you are right, how ironical. Maybe she was blown over by the Director (Lin Yu Fen) and her reputation (TMOPB, Love & Destiny), it was just too good an opportunity to pass over.

Spoiler

She must have not done enough of a background check on her counterpart, or she naively believed that he would change his ways. I think if you know enough people in the industry, it's not that difficult to get a feel of someone's reputation. Some people are bound to talk.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Yes, you are right, how ironical. Maybe she was blown over by the Director (Lin Yu Fen) and her reputation (TMOPB, Love & Destiny), it was just too good an opportunity to pass over.

Hide contents

She must have not done enough of a background check on her counterpart, or she naively believed that he would change his ways. I think if you know enough people in the industry, it's not that difficult to get a feel of someone's reputation. Some people are bound to talk.

I guess the script, the director and budget? It does seem like a really solid project. Then again was horribly contentious due to who gets top billing and apparently script changes that gave more screen time to KW so not exactly sure it was an enjoyable project. Am still following the KW saga. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Adidaem said:

I guess the script, the director and budget? It does seem like a really solid project. Then again was horribly contentious due to who gets top billing and apparently script changes that gave more screen time to KW so not exactly sure it was an enjoyable project. Am still following the KW saga. 

Prolly, that was a combo too hard to resist. Yah I recall the fan-wars going on then and how supposedly the both of them were totally cool and friendly about the whole thing themselves. Heaven knows what went on behind doors. But I suppose being a practical person, as reported, YZ might have kept her cool and her professionalism to that situation. Anyways, I am still at the altar, making my imaginary offerings. :Megathanks:(strike out the words Thank you and replace with "Dear Drama Gods, please find a way to air the drama".)  What I would give to be a fly right now to hear what the director is saying about this project and/or what the production house is planning to salvage the situation. sigh.

• Like 1