English title: The Golden Hairpin
Also known as: 簪中录 / Zhan Zhong Lv / A Story of Hairpin
Genre: Historical, mystery, romance
Director: Lin Yu Fen, Liang Sheng Quan
Screenwriter: Jin Hai Shu, Wang Li Zhi

Episodes:
Broadcast network: Hunan TV, Tencent
Broadcast period: TBA

Adapted from the novel "The Golden Hairpin" (簪中录) by Ce Ce Qing Han (侧侧轻寒)

Cast

Yang Zi as Huang Zixia
Peng Guan Ying as Li Shubai
Xuan Yan as Wang Yun
Chen Zhe Yuan as Yu Xuan
Liu Ruo Gu as Yu Xuan (young)
Yu Xiao Wei as Emperor
Qiu Xin Zhi as Wang Zongshi
Sui Jun Bo as Empress Wang
Liu Yi Hang as Zhou Ziqin
Ruan Ju as Princess Qi Le
Zhao Ying Bo as Li Ren (7th prince)
Li Yi Nan as Li Rui (9th prince)
Ding Xiao Ying as Wang Ruo
Wang Hao Zhen as Qi Teng
Wang Xing Chen as Xu Congyun
Ye Ke Er as Ran Yun
Tan Xiao Fan as Zhou Ziyan
Du Yuan as Lu Zhiyuan
Qiang Yu as Zhang Xingying
Zhang Yan Yan as Gongsun Yuan
Zhang Le Yun as Jin Nu
Wang Yi Yao as Lu Dicui
Dong Li Wu You as Li Wen
Wang Ze Xuan
Zhang Bo Wen
Mi Xue Dong
Guo Jun
Lu Yong Jun
Huang Yun Yun
Lu Yuan Yuan
Jiang Rui Lin as Wei Heng (young)
Qian Jin as Xue Se (young)

Synopsis:

At thirteen, investigative prodigy Huang Zixia had already proved herself by aiding her father in solving confounding crimes. At seventeen, she’s on the run, accused of murdering her family to escape an arranged marriage. Driven by a single-minded pursuit, she must use her skills to unmask the real killer…and clear her name. But when Huang Zixia seeks the help of Li Shubai, the Prince of Kui, her life and freedom are bargained: agree to go undercover as his eunuch to stop a serial killer and to undo a curse that threatens to destroy the Prince’s life. Huang Zixia’s skills are soon tested when Li Shubai’s betrothed vanishes. With a distinctively exquisite golden hairpin as her only clue, Huang Zixia investigates—and discovers that she isn’t the only one in the guarded kingdom with a dangerous secret.

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to @SC2019

• Like 2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read the original novel this drama is based on?

Spoiler

From what I remember, this story is split into four books and the romance doesn’t really develop until around book 2.

It was mostly about Huang Zixia solving murder mysteries with the help of Li Shubai and her dead body obsessed friend/assistant Zhou Ziqin.She eventually discovers that the real culprit behind the death of her family was actually her childhood friend whom she had romantic feelings for.

There was some political intrigue involved because Li Shubai’s brother the Emperor wants to kill him. Their father the late Emperor, painted a weird picture that seemed to indicate that he wanted Li Shubai to be his heir. There’s also a deadly secret involving the little fish Li Shubai keeps in a bottle.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, frostflower14 said:

Hide contents

From what I remember, this story is split into four books and the romance doesn’t really develop until around book 2.

It was mostly about Huang Zixia solving murder mysteries with the help of Li Shubai and her dead body obsessed friend/assistant Zhou Ziqin.She eventually discovers that the real culprit behind the death of her family was actually her childhood friend whom she had romantic feelings for.

There was some political intrigue involved because Li Shubai’s brother the Emperor wants to kill him. Their father the late Emperor, painted a weird picture that seemed to indicate that he wanted Li Shubai to be his heir. 

I don't remember much, but I think the romance develops later than book 2 maybe 3. She keeps trying to solve different mysteries in each book and the big mystery of what happened to her family throughout them. 

Overall it was a bit meh for mystery romance, but I like the will they or won't they trope it had going all along. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, frostflower14 said:

Reveal hidden contents

There was some political intrigue involved because Li Shubai’s brother the Emperor wants to kill him. Their father the late Emperor, painted a weird picture that seemed to indicate that he wanted Li Shubai to be his heir. There’s also a deadly secret involving the little fish Li Shubai keeps in a bottle.....

Hi hi, just to let you know, I have finished reading the google translate version of the chinese novel. A pain I must say, as I bought the 1st book translated into English on Kindle. But the other 3 were not translated and since I was dying to know the ending, I had to read the google translate version. Bad English and all, but at least I got an overview. :P

Now, that I have an idea of the flow of the story, am waiting for the show - hopefully they follow the plot of the novel and film all 4 books. heard that now because of the virus, filming has stopped.

I cannot wait for this drama!! Story sounds very interesting and captivating.

Based off the above comments, I hope we get more romance :D YZ and KW will have good chemistry I reckon!

Fingers crossed this drama is a good one!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, J13 said:

I cannot wait for this drama!! Story sounds very interesting and captivating.

Based off the above comments, I hope we get more romance :D YZ and KW will have good chemistry I reckon!

Fingers crossed this drama is a good one!!

Recently read that authorities are limiting the number of episodes to 40 (or sth like that), I wonder if this affects those dramas in production like this one? Because there are 4 books, and squeezing everything into 40 episodes will be require quite a fair bit of work as they had planned for more... poor production team. Possible I suppose if they had planned for it, but now with the regulations out like that...

On 2/24/2020 at 8:45 PM, SC2019 said:

Recently read that authorities are limiting the number of episodes to 40 (or sth like that), I wonder if this affects those dramas in production like this one? Because there are 4 books, and squeezing everything into 40 episodes will be require quite a fair bit of work as they had planned for more... poor production team. Possible I suppose if they had planned for it, but now with the regulations out like that...

Hmm interesting. I haven’t been keeping up with the news so I didn’t know that. I haven’t read the books either.

Hopefully there isn’t too much sloppy editing if they have already been filming, so at least the story will kind of flow on properly still. I imagine they would just focus on the main storyline perhaps and not incorporate too much of the secondary leads stories but again, I haven’t read the books so can’t comment too much.

As someone who hasn’t read the book, I will probably feel less disappointed with the story if it does feel like a lot has been packed in because I’m not familiar with the story. For me, I would be happy with a smooth fast paced story with good chemistry between the leads.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 4:45 AM, SC2019 said:

Does filming them all but split into 2 or 3 seasons count? :lol:..i remember they did it to the drama - Noble Aspiration season 1 and 2 but unfortunately they did not finished filming for a 3rd season.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, lovehuche said:

Looking forward to the drama.  Since it produces by the same producer of Ten Peach Miles Blossom and love and Destiny, I think it's going to be good. 

Sounds awesome!!! The same producer from TTMOB, so hopefully it'll be good too :)!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they will only produce based on the first book or combine all 4 books? Somehow from the trailer I get the feel that the director has taken the liberty to inject the romance element earlier on into the drama. the VO for Prince Li is good, deep-sounding, which gives the right image for the Prince and for HZX, her voice sounds pretty no-nonsense as well - kudos to the producers.

• 1 month later...
  • Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Golden Hairpin 青簪行
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, airgreen said:

Anyone have updates for this drama? *waits patiently for it to air*

Me too, my neck is sooooo long already, I went back to re-read the first book (got it on kindle) and re-google translated Books 2-4. Based on the cast, I think they will film Book 1, 3 and 4, not sure about book 2.

Spoiler

The novel in Chinese, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.51shucheng.net/yanqing/zanzhonglu

Let's watch together when it airs, ok @airgreen?

• 2 weeks later...

https://new.qq.com/omn/20210421/20210421A08WI800.html

@airgreen @tamachon @Yinye @skibbies @Gia Gia @frostflower14 @sugarplum892 @J13 @lovehuche @mrsyooknit

The article reports that The Golden Hairpin has obtained Distribution license in April this year, which probably means they got through with the Censorship Board but a later article (about 10 days ago) stated that the drama was going thru a 2nd review (whatever that means). In any case, there are no airing dates as of yet. Some rumours about July/Aug airing date, but do take this with a pinch of salt. Still, that they have gotten the distribution license means we should get to see it this year (if that's any consolation).

• Like 2