[Drama 2020] Team Bulldog: Off Duty Investigation, 번외수사

0ly40

“Team Bulldog: Off-Duty Investigation” Director Describes The Cast’s Teamwork And Things To Look Forward To

Director Kang Hyo Jin described exciting things to look forward to in “Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation.”

This upcoming OCN crime-oriented action comedy drama is about a screwball detective who stops at nothing to catch a criminal and a passionate investigative crime TV show producing director (PD) who attempt to solve difficult cases. Other members of the motley crew include a former criminal profiler, a former gangster, and a former National Forensic Service autopsist.

Director Kang Hyo Jin began, “After the premiere of ‘The Dude in Me‘ and while reviewing follow-up projects, I received an offer from OCN. Their attempt at ‘dramatic cinema,’ which is an attempt to combine dramas and films, felt new. It was a project I wanted to try at least once as a film director.”

This is the Kang Hyo Jin’s first time directing a drama, and he described the differences between films and dramas. “If a film is a two-hour masterpiece, a drama is a masterpiece of teamwork that runs over at least 10 hours. The good thing about ‘dramatic cinema’ is that it borrows the drama format to tell more stories about more cases and characters. I think the density of films finds a good synergy with the expandability of dramas. You can look forward to a higher quality.”

“I focused on clearly showing the characters’ charms,” he said. “‘Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation’ is a teamwork investigation drama about five outsiders with unique charms. Because of this, I thought that it would be the funnest for viewers when each character’s unique personality was shown to the fullest. It worked out well because the actors enthusiastically followed along. Most people imagine a dark, spooky atmosphere and serious characters when they think of an average investigation drama. Although we tell stories about weighty cases, each character solves crimes in serious but fun ways. I paid attention to highlighting those charms.”

The drama boasts of a stacked cast. Speaking about his actors, the director said, “All five actors— Cha Tae Hyun, Lee Sun Bin, Jung Sang Hoon, Yoon Kyung Ho, and Ji Seung Hyun— were perfectly in-sync. It was especially refreshing because Cha Tae Hyun has never played a detective before. I thought that there would be an exciting plot twist when an actor with a familial, warm image transforms into a rugged homicide detective. When we filmed, his analysis of the character and understanding of the script were outstanding. His acting was above my expectations. Lee Sun Bin’s acting while portraying passionate PD Kang Moo Young is also a point to watch. I feel confident that there will be many never-before-seen charming qualities.”

Director Kang Hyo Jin concluded, “I didn’t know what viewers would like, so I prepared a variety of mystery, investigation, action, comedy, and more. I feel confident that ‘Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation’ isn’t an unsatisfactory buffet where you’ll be left asking, ‘What did I eat?’ but rather neat, harmonious dishes where each taste is alive and even leaves you with a refreshing taste in your mouth. While filming from last winter to this spring, it was my first time experiencing a set where actors acted this passionately and were this happy. I hope that you’ll be able to feel the passion on set through the broadcast.”

“Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation” premieres on May 23 at 10:50 p.m. KST, and it will be available on Viki!

Team-Bulldog-Off-duty-Investigation_1.jp

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1401901wpp/team-bulldog-off-duty-investigation-director-describes-the-casts-teamwork-and-things-to-look-forward-to

@snowlou Are you planning to watch it? :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@partyon yesss...but i dont think i will watch it live. Since it's a Saturday-Sunday drama..i might only be able to watch it on Monday. I'll def give the first 2 episodes a go and see whether i want to watch it weekly or wait until it finishes. Are you going to watch this too? The thread seems to be a bit quiet atm...but maybe i'll dare to post more if it's this quiet :joy: (busy thread like HP 'intimidates' me a bit :p )

@snowlou Yes, I am planning on watching the first two episodes. Mostly because seeing Cha Tae Hyun in an action drama will be something novel. :)

It's a pity that this thread is so quiet. :( Hopefully we can share some thoughts here anyway! :)

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

@snowlou Yes, I am planning on watching the first two episodes. Mostly because seeing Cha Tae Hyun in an action drama will be something novel. :)

It's a pity that this thread is so quiet. :( Hopefully we can share some thoughts here anyway! :)

Yes. CTH himself also said this is his first time playing a detective role. Though it's still gearing towards comedy...the genre he's often found himself in? But I'm so excited to see Jung Sang Hoon too. He's quite funny in JI..and then he's so hilarious trying to speak English in youth over flowers. Let's aim to discuss the first 2 episodes here first and we ll decide again afterwards! I ll try to watch the first ep by Monday 

@Sushimi So nice to see you onboard! :kiss_wink: It's a pity that nowadays only the dramas with hot actors or a well-made psychological thriller get people discussing in the threads. Lots of well made dramas with great stories will be so quiet it feels like a town in the middle of a coronavirus quarantine... :joy:

In this case, I don't have high hopes that this thread will be busy. :joy:

Anyway, I don't know the other actors in this drama, but Cha Tae Hyun brought me here.

@Sushimi oh yay~~ at least now I 'know' a few people here. 

For a change I actually don't mind a quieter thread >_< 

Agree that OCN are usually pretty dark (and some are too dark for my taste). Hopefully this one is not a dark-comedy type of comedy? 

It's airing tomorrow already! Time flies. Happy to see more people here. This is also my first time joining a live kdrama thread discussion here on soompi ^^ and hopefully make more friends ;D

Maybe the comedy is similar to Life on Mars? An OCN drama too. Anyway, I'm so excited. CTH comeback is an OCN drama, also his first detective role, and of course with comedic touch. The cast dynamic already looks good. B)

50 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

Ohh forgot about life on Mars thanks. 

I didn’t watch LFM, but suggestively I guess team bulldog’s comedy will probably come from the group dynamics. I guess it’s not full on comedy...

Yes I agree. Life on Mars comedy relies on group dynamics. I think Team Bulldog is the same. 

52 minutes ago, Sushimi said:

oh wow. Welcome to a live thread:lol: hope you enjoy your stay here for the next couple of months :kiss_wink:

I will! Thank you :lol:

@Happy Sheep oh...I like Life on Mars..it's has its funny moments but towards the end..if I remember correctly (since I couldn't recall exactly what happened), I felt sad? I don't think I should be welcoming you since I think I'm even more of a newbie compared to you :joy: 

3 Key Points To Anticipate As “Team Bulldog: Off-Duty Investigation” Makes Its Premiere

OCN’s “Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation” is finally unveiling its action-packed story!

This upcoming OCN crime-oriented action comedy drama is about a screwball detective who stops at nothing to catch a criminal and a passionate investigative crime TV show producing director (PD) who attempt to solve difficult cases. Other members of the motley crew include a former criminal profiler, a former gangster, and a former National Forensics Service autopsist.

Here are three things to look out for as the drama begins to unfold:

Cha Tae Hyun’s first detective role

“Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation” will mark Cha Tae Hyun’s return to the small screen after a past controversy, and he will draw attention with his first detective role. Cha Tae Hyun will shed his usual warm and comedic image and turn into a sharp-tongued, hot-tempered detective for the drama. Director Kang Hyo Jin shared, “You can look forward to Cha Tae Hyun’s transformation.”

Different and unique episodes

The pre-released highlight video heralded the first episode in which past and current events intersect, prompting the interest of prospective viewers. The production team promised to fill all 12 episodes with fresh and differentiated stories. Writers Lee Yoo Jin and Jung Yoon Sun, who have unraveled a dense and dense story with “Missing Noir M” that was highly acclaimed by genre enthusiasts, prepared rich and solid episodes based on various events they researched for a long time.

Great team play

The last but most important key point of “Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation” is a collaborative investigation conducted by characters with unique personalities that have not been seen in other investigations. Kang Ho (Cha Tae Hyun) is described as a detective who uses all means to catch criminals. Although his determination to put bad guys behind bars is admirable, he has a bad temper that often lands him in difficult situations. Then there’s Kang Moo Young (Lee Sun Bin), a passionate producing director (PD), who is on the verge of losing her job.

Lee Ban Suk (Jung Sang Hoon) is a former-autopsy-chief-turned-funeral-director, and Teddy Jung (Yoon Kyung Ho) is the CEO of Cocktail Bar who beats bad guys with short and strong punches. On top of that, there is Takwon (Ji Seung Hyun), a private detective who makes money by running two jobs as a multi-level sales and private detective.

“Team Bulldog: Off-duty Investigation” premieres on May 23 at 10:50 p.m. KST, and it will be available on Viki!

team-bulldog-off-duty-investigation-2.jp

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1402211wpp/3-key-points-to-anticipate-as-team-bulldog-off-duty-investigation-makes-its-premiere

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] Team Bulldog: Off Duty Investigation, 번외수사 - Sat & Sun @ 22:50 KST

Hello~~ (if anyone is here)

I just finished watching the first two episodes and I must say I like them so far :)

Now I have never commented on a detective drama thread, so I'm not sure what you normally talk about in this kind of thread but I'm just gonna ramble on what I found funny or interesting so far. 

Some funny things:

1. What's with the muscle yet asthmatic guy? :joy: Shouldn't he be puffing every time he punched a guy or something LOL

2. Ma Dong Seok's 'cameo'~ not sure whether it could be attributed as cameo..he only appeared in a portrait as a dead guy!! Unless it's some kind of reference to his previous drama or something? I hope he could make a cameo for real later on...I love Ma Dong Seok! 

I also liked the 'twist' in the ax case~~ unsure whether the hardcore fans of detective drama would even call it a 'twist' but I'm on the lighter side..so I would :P

For me I love the balance between the comedy vs the serious part, the darker vs the lighter mood. I'm hoping they will present us one case per two episodes while having the 'major' case running throughout before getting solved in the end - classic i know..but i don't mind this type of format. 

Also hoping to see the 5 'leads' to start working together..and more screen time for Jung Sang Hoon (pleaseee) :)

I enjoyed the first two episodes, as there is a combination of action, a bit of drama and comedy.  I am curious about the bag that Kang Ho was carrying in Ep. 1. It seems very heavy. He used it to knock down several of the thugs he encountered.

I wonder how rich Jin Kang Ho is, considering that his father was a police officer like him, although highly decorated. Hahaha, Ma Dong Seok playing Jin Kang Ho' dead father, even if he only appears in a picture. Maybe it's the mom who is loaded. Just imagine the amount of money he pays Teddy Jung and his two fighting machines, who works as bartenders at his bar.

I like that they are solving one case per episode without breaking the flow of the story, weaving the next into the narrative, rather than having just big case for the entire run of the show with a disappointing ending. Moreover, I hope the show will not tackle corruption in the police force which is almost in the norm is various police/detective action dramas.

Except for Teddy Jung, the other characters are not working together yet, so I bet there will be funnier moments when they finally join forces. It's refreshing to see an actress who is not just a pretty face. Lee Sun Bin fits her role quite nicely and she dresses the part. I cringe when I see an actress in an action drama wearing designer clothes and high heels when chasing criminals and can barely run due to her stilettos.

Looking forward to more zany crime fighting acts in the coming episodes.

6 hours ago, snowlou said:

Some funny things:

1. What's with the muscle yet asthmatic guy? :joy: Shouldn't he be puffing every time he punched a guy or something LOL

2. Ma Dong Seok's 'cameo'~ not sure whether it could be attributed as cameo..he only appeared in a portrait as a dead guy!! Unless it's some kind of reference to his previous drama or something? I hope he could make a cameo for real later on...I love Ma Dong Seok! 

Ma Dong Seok is one of the producers of the drama, apparently. (Yes, I would love to see a flashback or something, too!)

The first 2 episode were so funny and dark and funny lmao. Cinematography was great as expected from OCN, but the soundtrack was whole MOOD. 

So this is a Procedural Comedy drama. They're not following a main plot (yet?). The crimes they solve weren't that complicated but the way they solve it is something new. Different professions working together to solve a crime. I'm most excited about them working together for real. You can already feel the chemistry.

I'm looking forward next week!

Archived