[Drama 2020] 365: One Year Against Destiny, 365: 운명을 거스르는 1년

0ly40

@40somethingahjumma I  have this crazy thought (at this moment ) that this could be a cross between Matrix and Inception  with Lee Shin being someone  like Agent Smith who through her sessions with GH is infiltrating her subconscious for some reason not revealed yet :lol:. But isn't it strange that GH is the only one shown to have received psychiatric help from her? So far no one else has been shown to have sat for a counselling session . I don't think HJ has ever gotten help after his hyung died 

LJH is so adorable in this show...

MBC has released a series of BTS videos

At 1:26 - quite amazing how they do the accident scene

Spoiler

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow! amazing only 2eps and so much is happening.

I can feel that psychiatrist is weird right from the beginning, she playing with their minds and its not like those people psychically when back one year only their minds. This kind of reminds me of the movie Somewhere in time, the guy did not go back in time psychically like in a machine or something but he will his mind to go back to a particular time.

Liking the theories about this being a simulation. The thing is if you look at some of the promotional material (behind-the-scenes, character intros), they're styled in an interesting way... Pixellated pop-ups that look like a retro adventure game. Screencaps below... In the video of the read-through, there's even a reference to "365 Player". Hmmm. Could this be significant? 

pixel4.jpg

pixel3.jpg

pixel1.jpg

pixel2.jpg

On 3/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, triplem said:

any of you watched Death Note?

Sorry for two posts, just saw this... @triplem

Yes, I've seen both the anime and the older film with Fujiwara Tatsuya. Not the reboots or the newer films though. No spoilers ~ The original anime is a masterpiece, very dark and brilliantly plotted. But it does make one very cynical about humanity and there's real discomfort in having a main character who turns from being noble and whip smart to self-serving and despicable.

I think you may be right that there is an element of 'judgment' and toying with people's lives which might be the common theme in both Death Note and 365. The other themes in Death Note were consequences (intervene in one thing, something else goes pear-shaped) and the slippery slide into darkness. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If 365 gets as complex as Death Note I'd welcome it, but it would be tougher viewing and we'd be back in The Lies Within territory haha :P

On 3/26/2020 at 1:47 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I was wondering if I should comment before watching the second episode. 

From the moment the psychiatrist from Zian/Jian walked into that circular room, I immediately thought of Liar Game. It certainly has a strong J drama vibe to it.

I started watching this mainly for LJH who is utterly adorable here by the way. Always great to see him in a starring role. But the premise is very intriguing. 

I wonder how he does it sometimes... transform himself so completely... just with doing the littlest things with his facial features.

Good to see his limbs all intact. 

You know I was also thinking Liar Game. LJH has taken my heart already and I am so ready for Stranger S2 to be on air. And its nice seeing you here! :)

10 hours ago, AC95 said:

I think you may be right that there is an element of 'judgment' and toying with people's lives which might be the common theme in both Death Note and 365. The other themes in Death Note were consequences (intervene in one thing, something else goes pear-shaped) and the slippery slide into darkness. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If 365 gets as complex as Death Note I'd welcome it, but it would be tougher viewing and we'd be back in The Lies Within territory haha :P

@AC95 Thanks for enlightening us on Death Note. If the elements are somehow woven into 365 as you and @triplem think, I welcome it as well. I wouldn't necessarily complain if we were back in The Lies territory. :D That was a tough watch, but strangely 'til this day, I still think about it.

My biggest question is what Lee Shin wants out of all of this...is she really just offering second chances, some kind of virtual counseling session or is it a psychological/mind game she's playing? Hmmm... 

15 hours ago, triplem said:

@40somethingahjumma I  have this crazy thought (at this moment ) that this could be a cross between Matrix and Inception  with Lee Shin being someone  like Agent Smith who through her sessions with GH is infiltrating her subconscious for some reason not revealed yet :lol:. But isn't it strange that GH is the only one shown to have received psychiatric help from her? So far no one else has been shown to have sat for a counselling session . I don't think HJ has ever gotten help after his hyung died 

Isn't it because HJ isn't completely mentally screwed up?

But seriously... I did wonder about that. But isn't it because GH never really taken some measure of responsibility for what happened to her until now? In her own mind her life sucked because of what happened to her.

It's different for HJ because he went back to change what happened to his sunbae. He took responsibility for what happened and "fixed it". So far there doesn't seem to have been any negative flow on so as far as he's concerned, the reset worked beautifully. He didn't entirely reset the year for himself, he did it to save lives. That said, he had a reputation for being a second-rate cop but after the reset, he gained a bit more respect for showing a lot more initiative. So he's changed a bit and mentally he's in a much better place.

Let's assume hypothetically there's some kind of AI controlling this simulation. It could be that HJ has resolved his issue and his role in this "game" now is to provide investigative (and even emotional) support to GH who is in some kind of mental rut. As long as she continues to feel victimized, play the blame the program plays that out in interesting... even dangerous ways. It challenges her and pushes her to a place where she comes to the end of herself. Maybe she hasn't quite hit rock bottom yet. Yes, it was a hit and run but she did run out on to the road as well. So it was a perfect storm of events lining up to create the accident. Could the accident have been prevented? Perhaps. But that's not the point maybe. The point maybe is how we deal with the bad things in life after they happen because in reality there is no turning back the clock. 

Sorry for beating on this particular drum... LOL... Maybe I should write my own script. 

All this is purely speculation on my part. I'm really jumping the gun here which isn't like me at all... but since you asked... :P

The Inception angle is an interesting thought that's worth exploring in weeks to come. The idea was fantastic but the movie was too long... too much exposition as is Chris Nolan's usual shtick.

@AC95 Thanks for your insights re: Death Note. It's been a while since I saw it. I had forgotten some of the crucial themes that you listed. It was a great series. Amazing storyline.

I see some familiar names here. :grin:  Hello!!!  @triplem @corey @Ameera Ali @ktcjdrama

I needed to find a different drama to get my mind off of blwl... so looked through the different recommendations from the other thread. :blush:

I don't know the other actors or actresses but I just know NJH. 

I just watched the first 2 episodes... and it was good!  But I'm getting scared!!  :grin:  Another forum said that they think it is the order that everyone was sitting in on the first day that they were all together.... sitting from left to right.  The three from left to right have died, so does that mean it will be the tough looking guy? 

23 minutes ago, cococahpi said:

Another forum said that they think it is the order that everyone was sitting in on the first day that they were all together.... sitting from left to right.  The three from left to right have died, so does that mean it will be the tough looking guy?

Hmm...that doesn’t sound like a possibility in my book because it would seem to imply some random selection taking place rather than a well thought out plan?  Unless they had assigned seats it would seem too much like a lottery if that was the case.  You can’t know ahead of time who would sit where.  It wouldn’t bode well for the writer if that was the rule of the game.  It would be too shallow?  

22 hours ago, nrllee said:

Hmm...that doesn’t sound like a possibility in my book because it would seem to imply some random selection taking place rather than a well thought out plan?  Unless they had assigned seats it would seem too much like a lottery if that was the case.  You can’t know ahead of time who would sit where.  It wouldn’t bode well for the writer if that was the rule of the game.  It would be too shallow?  

I'm not sure either.  They just randomly sat where they sat on that first meeting.  Then I wonder if what the gamer guy is saying ,is true?  

5 hours ago, cococahpi said:

Then I wonder if what the gamer guy is saying ,is true?  

I think the gamer guy was just tossing ideas out there to make everyone think.  He was trying to work it out himself.  But being a gamer, he knows that you need to work out the rules of the game to survive so he’s been just keeping under the radar and whilst everyone’s just going about their own business, he’s watching on the sidelines and taking note of things which could give him a winning edge.

I went through the raw cuts on MBC and have to say the ending left me hanging on the edge.

Just some main points that I remember

1. SY's body was found in the park in the morning and JH and his team was there to check out the scene.

2. From CCTV recordings, GH was the last to be seen with SY, hence HJ came to the cafe to take her to the station. 

3. HJ's hyung interviewed and interrogated SY. ( HJ observed ). He tried to draw up the scenarios that would link SYs death to her. Of course GH denies.

4. I am not sure why, but after the initial interviews etc, the team Captain did not want HJ to be involved with the investigation - maybe they found out she's his favourite webtoon writer and worried he would be too emotional ...but many cute scenes of him still trying to see and hear what the rest were trying to do and the progress of the investigation.

5. HJ continued to investigate SY's husband's involvement in the accident of GH's assistant. He found proof and the guy was reprimanded.

6. Meanwhile, there was a homeless man and a couple of young boys who were at the park where SY and GH met...long story short they became her alibis and GH was free to go. HJ  came to let her go ...outside the station as they were talking ,someone was observing them.

7. There were  some scenes with the other resetters , but the important one was that they noticed that all those who died were sitting next to each other. The next person that was predicted to "die" was one of the older men who was supposed to go live abroad. Worried, he came to HJ and told him about it . He asked HJ to investigate. 

8. GH brought flowers to the spot where SY was killed. Lee Shin came too .....she and GH had a chat - quite a bit was said but Lee Shin told GH how SY wanted to kill herself before the reset and that it was Lee Shin who had stopped her when she tried to jump off the bridge. I am guessing Lee Shin must have been SY's psychiatrist then.

9. HJ found out where SY's husband got rid of the car..from CCTV pics HJ saw YDG's character Bae Jung Tae -  he was the one who helped destroyed the car

10. So I think Bae can't be located ...being involved in many shady activities, some rival gangster had caught him , though later he did escape.

11. HJ and GH worked together to track Bae...so after some tracing they found out where Bae lived.

12. They went to look for him...as HJ was knocking on the door...they heard someone run out from another door...HJ gave chase.

13. GH went into the house and noticed many photos of her and the other resetters in the house. Then a phone rang. GH picked it up...heard Lee Shin's voice!  When LS heard GH's  voice , LS hung up. GH tried calling Lee Shin but the latter just switches it off. 

14. HJ continues his chase...but loses Bae...then someone knocks him on his head just as GH tried calling him. Then someone comes into Bae's house and GH had a shocked expression!

Preview

Hi @cococahpi Great to see you here!

BTS - nice to see LJH and NJH working comfortably together.'

Spoiler

5 hours ago, jeijei said:

We have a serial killer among them, and it's not oppa because his bangs are down. I call it fringe benefit. 

I agree, Oppa can’t be.  Because we need him to stay in the light and not move back into the shady characters of the past that he’s played...and he’s going back to weasel mode in Stranger2 so he needs to remain bright and shiny like the star right now...if only for another 9(?) episodes by the old hour long format’s count.  

Just watched episode 3. So far, Jae Young (the gamer) believes that the order of their seating from left to right follows the pattern of the deaths. Or another way to see it is that the first death started with the delivery guy then the following victim is the person sitting next and so on. He thinks that they need to find an answer to the rule (a “hack”) to break the pattern of the deaths. It sounds rather too simple/easy to me, but the others are starting to believe him. If so, Bae Jung Tae is supposed to be up next. We’ll see if survives in the next episode.

Lee Shin appears to be trustworthy when in front of them, but she's totally giving off spooky/creepy vibes behind the scenes. When GH answered BJT’s phone, my skin crawled when I heard Lee Shin’s voice. I wonder how she'll explain herself to them or if they may not be able to find her at the ShiAn lair anymore.

And who's the person who appears to be dead in the car?

12 hours ago, triplem said:

4. I am not sure why, but after the initial interviews etc, the team Captain did not want HJ to be involved with the investigation - maybe they found out she's his favourite webtoon writer and worried he would be too emotional ...but many cute scenes of him still trying to see and hear what the rest were trying to do and the progress of the investigation.

@triplem Thank you for the highlights. You were pretty spot on from the raw. There were some parts that I liked following GH's interview scene. After she was free to go from the alibis, HJ's hyung (Sun Ho) was cute teasing him. He apologized to HJ for harshly interrogating his “future wife”. :lol: His other colleagues also teased him as well. They asked HJ why he hasn’t scored an autograph yet. The female colleague said perhaps HJ wants something more. :P Does it seem like we are getting hints of a romance?

Either way, I really like the development of HJ and GH's friendship. She kind of gave him a bit of hard time for being wrongly questioned and getting negative comments on social media. He felt bad, but luckily he was able to tell her the good news that he was able to arrest SY's husband. He said now they could call it even. She seemed to agree and was thankful. I'm glad they were able to easily move on from the misunderstanding. Also, they seem to work well together. Later, I thought it was cute how he complimented that her detective work (map of BJT's pings) is better than their rookie cop. I feel like his bright personality is starting to lighten up hers.

Wow... words fail me... 

I have no idea what the heck is going on. And I like that!

It's a bit of a mind bender. But I don't really think the seating order is the key. Can it really be that simple? 

I feel like it's something I have to rewatch... 

For some reason all of this is making me think of David Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner. Don't know why. Like the whole thing is one big con but I can't think why. There's no money involved so far.

As usual LJH is ridiculously adorable. Why isn't he in a rom com already?

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's a bit of a mind bender. But I don't really think the seating order is the key. Can it really be that simple? 

Yeah I think that’s a red herring. HJ’s passcode on his computer is 1234 :lol:.

Still I am all confused about what’s happening.  The guy who ran away from the house can’t be Bae Jung Tae.  Wasn’t he injured after he jumped off the roof?

Lee Shin says to the guy who ran away, “clean it up”?  Does she imply she doesn’t like how this iteration is going so might as well just clear the deck so she gets to the end and resets again?  

So let’s recap.  How many went back?  LeeShin was in the back of the limo with them (10 of them).  Who was driving? :ph34r:
C6-AA40-E6-5-C51-4176-939-D-576782-C96-B

The order of murders (if gamer boy was right).  Delivery guy was first (in red) - although did he really die?  That was what LeeShin told them so they all assumed it was so?  They didn’t go to a funeral or anything?  Could he be her accomplice?  

BE700-B8-E-F2-E5-402-D-A5-C0-C7430-D9-E1

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yeah I think that’s a red herring. HJ’s passcode on his computer is 1234 :lol:.

I cannot believe he had that as passcode :joy:. But he's hyung is right...he's a simple person but he's also a pretty sharp detective. I liked the way he trapped the dermatologist to "confess"  to the hit and run. I liked that he and GH make a good team. Being a writer of such genre , she'd be able to think out of the box sooner or later. 

I thought the car was being driven on auto pilot mode...There was no one holding on to the steering wheel

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As usual LJH is ridiculously adorable. Why isn't he in a rom com already?

I loved the scenes and his expressions where he was trying so hard to keep up with the progress of the investigation.  

What is the Spanish Prisoner about ?

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Thank you for the highlights. You were pretty spot on from the raw. There were some parts that I liked following GH's interview scene. After she was free to go from the alibis, HJ's hyung (Sun Ho) was cute teasing him. He apologized to HJ for harshly interrogating his “future wife”. :lol: His other colleagues also teased him as well. They asked HJ why he hasn’t scored an autograph yet. The female colleague said perhaps HJ wants something more. :P Does it seem like we are getting hints of a romance?

Oooo I hope so...after it has been so long since I have seen LJH in one...The Lies Within does not count given the ending.  Did you see how relieved he was twice? Once when he asked her at the beginning if she killed SY , and when she said no, he knew it was true.  Then the second time he was glad they found the alibi and he could tell her the good news. I am certain this fanboy is having a very big crush on his favourite writer-nim

Anyway , I'll go check out the raw cuts and see if I can summarise what happened.

Archived